• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Some people might be happy to learn that I got Shantae on my first spin.

No Isaac though. :(

You're taking the easy way out though. Giving Isaac a gimmick would further differentiate him from other characters. I fear he'd just be generalized to being a rock/ground type Robin.

It's kinda hard to describe it, but you do understand what I mean, right?
Well it won't necessarily just be Earth moves. He's also got his hand psynergy, plant based attacks like Growth and also the possibility of weapon unleashes. I'd be shocked if his moveset didn't include his hand psynergy and very surprised if it didn't have growth.

Then he's got Djinn, which wouldn't necessarily be that gimmicky. He might just use Flint to attack. I feel like he has enough to work with that he doesn't particularly need a gimmick in order to stand out.

Last edited:

Liverpool19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Clemo13
I span and got Tomogon, or something like that, and paper mario. Thank god I didn't get Freddie.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
About gimmicks... I'll just post what I have written in a social group discussing Isaac's potential.

Plenty. Isaac has primarily the ability to use earth-based magic, which (depending on his class)alone can give him the ability to summon earthquakes, grow vines, use thorny plants, throw falling rocks, use spires, attack with bamboos, summon demons with Demon Night ability and throw a giant magical sword.Isaac is also able to summon a giant hand to catch, grab, lift and move objects. He also has self healing abilities with the Cure spells he can use.

Isaac also has access to Djinns, which are monsters that, when assigned, can potentially grant him further abilities and access to the other three forms of Psynergy depending on the type of Djinn they are(which correspond to the type of magic they can grant you). There is: Mars (Fire element); Mercury (water element) and Jupiter (air element). Every Djinn that could be used has their own distinct effect.

Notable and interesting Venus Djinns that could possibly be used are: Flint , which grants the user the ability to use a earth based physical attack that deals 1.6 times the damage you normally would; Granite, which would half damage taken; Vine; ch can be used to decrease enemy agility; Sap, which allows one to simultaneously deal damage and recover some small damage;Ground, which could be used to stun opponents temporarily and finally Bane, which can be used to deal poison damage.

Other notable Djinns that could be used are:Forge to access Mars Psynergy attacks such as Flare and Blast; Gust to use wind magic and Sleet (Mercury) to use ice shards and water spheres.

Finally he can use Summons to call upon powerful allies for one powerful attack such as Ramos for a powerful punch, Cybele to summon an overwhelming amount of vines, and Judgment which can only be shown via a video to give justice to its sheer awesome might.

Other possible Summons that could be used is: Meteor (to obviously summon a meteor, what else would you expect?); Procne, which summons a white bird that shoots out purple magic whilst the opponent is trapped in a tornado and Neptune, a purple whale spirit that shoots out blue energy.
These videos also help show the psynergy attacks that Isaac is able to do in action.
Keep in mind that from a gameplay perspective, Felix (the brunet guy in the video and the main character of the second game in the franchise) fills the role Isaac had in the first game so pretty much anything he can do, Isaac can do as well.

How does his moveset potential translate to the potential for a unique gameplay? First;y, his "hand" magic, due to the various forms it takes, can be translated into a projectile with multiple follow-ups including the potential to turn into a grab attack.

His various earth-based and plant attacks tend to mostly emerge from the ground, thus meaning his projectiles would mostly have a non-standard trajectory in comparison to other projectiles-instead of being mid-profile projectiles that simply goes forward, they are low-profile attacks that would work great as a form of anti-ground attacks, launching them upwards.

His Djinns are were he really shines as they help give him another unique mechanic-a powerful summoning cycle. There are three states of the Djinn- The "Set" state, the "Standby" state and the "Recover" state. The set state is where a Djinn is active. Regardless of the various types used, when unleashed, they can either boost Isaac's stats temporarily, deal a form of damaging attack or heal Isaac.

If unleashed, each Djinn is then put on standby. The number of Djinn being set on standby and the types determines the types of summons available, based on how powerful they are (and the element they are). For the sake of simplicity, let's stick to just Venus(the one associated with earth and plant magic) Djinn. One Venus Djinn on standby means the Venus Summon can be activated, two means Ramses, three means Cybele and four means Judgement.

After being summoned, the Djinn are then put into recovery mode for a time proportionate to the power of the summon. This could be translated into Smash as Isaac's stats becoming lower all-round (power, speed, etc.) with how weak he is overall being based on the power of the summon he unleashed

I believe that Isaac has the potential to be a projectile-based rushdown character due to the type of magic he is using feeling more in-your-face with the potential for temporary stat boost and levelling-based summoning system with a high-risk-high reward aspect (more rushdown-power for minimum defense).

I hope I informed everyone of what Isaac could be capable of within the context of Smash.
Tldr version: I envision Isaac as a rushdown-projectile based character with a projectile that has several follow-ups (including a grab), several different forms of stat boosts and the ability to use summons as well as projectiles that comes from the ground.

Last edited:

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
Gamnesia started their podcast about which characters they want as DLC with Isaac.

http://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/nintendo-week-episode-024
The guy who brought up Isaac at the beginning came up with something I haven't seen anywhere else: scaling Psynergy levels and Final Smashes to Isaac's damage percentage.

For example, suppose that Isaac's down special is the Gaia family. From 0-49%, he uses Gaia; from 50-99%, it's Mother Gaia; and 100+%, it's Grand Gaia. Just my idea. The Final Smash summon would work similarly, except that there would be four levels. However, I think the different FS's would be too much to implement, but I can definitely see the Smash team being able to implement different levels of Psynergy. Note that this could also make Ragnarok and Odyssey the "same" special move, just at different percentages.

To incorporate Djinn, I'd say that Isaac is seen to acquire a Djinni at set percentages. When he uses his FS, they switch to Standby and are then used to summon. What happens after this, I'm unsure, but it sounds like a pretty cool system. Maybe he starts out with four Djinn just so the FS can always be Judgment? I dunno. There are still things to work out, but I like it!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know I see Isaac, Wolf, and Waluigi or Shovel Knight, as the next group of dlc
If you think Waluigi has a chance, K. Rool's chances are far higher than that. The Mii Fighter costumes are already iffy as is; if in-game Assist Trophies and stage hazards aren't a problem, Mii Fighter costumes are even less so.

Makko Slade

Smash Rookie
If you think Waluigi has a chance, K. Rool's chances are far higher than that. The Mii Fighter costumes are already iffy as is; if in-game Assist Trophies and stage hazards aren't a problem, Mii Fighter costumes are even less so.
I was think that the king k rool costumes might have said that he will not be a dlc. Just like the Chrom costume.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I say Shovel Knight due to the voting. A lot of people want him so far. Idk who he is so I don't care about him. And I personally want Waluigi and there are a few people out there that feel the same as me.
I was think that the king k rool costumes might have said that he will not be a dlc. Just like the Chrom costume.
That would be the biggest slap in the face to literally the most requested newcomer (as it seems). Shovel Knight has nothing going for him, except that westerners want him. I don't even think Japan has Shovel Knight yet. Plus, there's the fact that he's on every other console and has exclusive stuff on those other consoles. I personally feel like Sakurai doesn't want Waluigi playable considering he pulled out a doll for Waluigi when talking about ATs in that one direct (although that's probably just me).

edit - Chrom was already deconfirmed before the mii costume...

Last edited:

AbsoluteZer0Nova

Smash Cadet

I think I speak for everyone when I say finally! Because shesh this took way too long in comparison to Europe only having to wait 7 months where as North America had to wait 1 year and 4 months.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I say Shovel Knight due to the voting. A lot of people want him so far. Idk who he is so I don't care about him. And I personally want Waluigi and there are a few people out there that feel the same as me.
A lot of people want him, sure. But there are even more people who, like yourself, don't know who he is. Including the entirety of Japan, since his game still hasn't been released in Japan.

Also, while his game was released on a Nintendo console first, the rereleases on other consoles included extra boss fights that the Nintendo consoles did not, and will not, receive (as those boss fights involve characters proprietary to other companies). So while he has a connection with Nintendo, it could easily be argued that he has a stronger connection with Nintendo's competitors.

Then there the fact that he's only had one game, and it's only about a year old, and Shovel Knight's chances start to seem a little dim. Is his popularity going to last? Is he going to be an icon long-term? Right now, he's popular. Next year, he may be completely forgotten.

People want him in because he seems like the sort of character Nintendo would have created back in the NES era. That's great. But there are a bunch of other characters created by third party companies who also fit that mold, who have a longer history, and who have closer ties to Nintendo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, but the point is, if having an Assist Trophy in-game means nothing, then so does Mii Fighter costumes, even to a greater extent.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Let's drown them in comments asking for GS4 and Isaac for Smash!

The Golden Sun fanbase casts Deluge!

The guy who brought up Isaac at the beginning came up with something I haven't seen anywhere else: scaling Psynergy levels and Final Smashes to Isaac's damage percentage.

For example, suppose that Isaac's down special is the Gaia family. From 0-49%, he uses Gaia; from 50-99%, it's Mother Gaia; and 100+%, it's Grand Gaia. Just my idea. The Final Smash summon would work similarly, except that there would be four levels. However, I think the different FS's would be too much to implement, but I can definitely see the Smash team being able to implement different levels of Psynergy. Note that this could also make Ragnarok and Odyssey the "same" special move, just at different percentages.

To incorporate Djinn, I'd say that Isaac is seen to acquire a Djinni at set percentages. When he uses his FS, they switch to Standby and are then used to summon. What happens after this, I'm unsure, but it sounds like a pretty cool system. Maybe he starts out with four Djinn just so the FS can always be Judgment? I dunno. There are still things to work out, but I like it!
The scalling made me think of Lucario's gimmick, when he does more damage when he's at a higher %.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The Lost Age is out now? Crud that reminds me I need to finish the first game.
Oh, I'd like to be one of the Isaac supporters please.

D

Deleted member

It took what felt like forever and a day, but we're finally getting The Lost Age here.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Good that you guys have it. I'm stuck at the Gondowan cliffs or something, don't know where to go
You could have asked a while ago. A lot of us have played that game and know it inside and out, even without the VC version.

Is this on your way to Kibombo? And where specifically on the cliffs are you stuck?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not sure if it has any relevance, or if it has been discussed but have we all seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6MuI1qHLSw

Could this mean something?
Well, this was posted in the wrong thread, so rather than answering it in the K. Rool thread, I figured I'd answer it here.

In short... no, it means nothing. If there was something else GS related that happened around the same time, MAYBE. But there wasn't, it was just a random release like with DKC1-3/DKL1-3. Why they didn't release it sooner we'll never know, but its been out in Europe and Japan for almost a year now.

And I suspect in the coming months, we'll also see Dark Dawn added, and it'll be added randomly without anything else related to it happening at the same time.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
SO just played with the wheel again...

I got:
Mighty No. 9 (wut?)
Rotom Lawnmower (Da ****)
Amaterasu (Huh?)
Engineer (Seriously?)
Urkel's Shirt (what the ****?)
Aiai (???)

Before I gave up.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Don't think so, I don't remember even going in there
Well, after you get through the Gondowan Cliffs, your next objective is Jupiter Lighthouse. In order to climb the lighthouse, you'll need to return the Shaman's Rod to Hesperia.

Hesperia is the northern of the two continents in the western ocean. It's just southwest of Kalt.

You have to sail in via the rivers on the south side, and keep sailing through the lake in the middle to reach your next objective, Shaman Village.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Hey people, after checking the released DLC stages song (except Miiverse), all of them comes with 5-6 songs each. So, if Isaac is revealed playable and comes with a GS stage, what 5-6 song you do think they will choose to come with the stage?

These are my Picks (Thinking Venus Lighthouse as the choosen stage)

(Remix) Battle Theme (Golden Sun)
(Remix) Saturos Theme (Golden Sun)
(Original) Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
(Original) World Map B (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
(Original) Fight of Sons (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)
(Original) Sand Prince/Mountain Roc (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)

What do you think?, :p

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236

oooh that's actually really cool! I especially love that idea because I want to see Isaac stay as a grounded/stand-still character and that gimmick would definitely go along with that.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
SO just played with the wheel again...

I got:
Mighty No. 9 (wut?)
Rotom Lawnmower (Da ****)
Amaterasu (Huh?)
Engineer (Seriously?)
Urkel's Shirt (what the ****?)
Aiai (???)

Before I gave up.
1. His name is Beck...
2. I got that too! Twinsies!
3. Okami is pretty cool but plz no 3rd Capcom rep kthxbai.
4. This wheel is stupid.
5. This wheel is really stupid.
5. MONKEY BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member

And one of each type of Djinn makes you…Captain Weyard!

COMING NEXT: ED EDD AND EDDY ERR I MEAN KYOUJI HIRONA!

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I packed my wii u yesterday morning since our family is moving, but I unpacked it just to buy Golden Sun TLA. So excited to play it again. Last time I played through the two games was when I was waiting for Animal Crossing New Leaf to come out!

Top Bottom