• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Burigu

Smash Ace
You know... The problem is that you are not alone, some persons with months or even years of participation in the SSB4 Character Discussion keep making the same mistake, multiple times. Some days i decide to point that, making fun of it. I dont do it with bad intentions at all. Prevents the same mistake in the future and in that way, i dont get angry for people learning weird names like Palutena, Ghirahim. While they are not able to write properly a really old name that is part of the human culture.
You know I wrote Isaac plentful of times, being that picky about something so insignificant is a sign of inmadurity I get you are a fan and want your character to be respected, that doesn't give you a reason to act overly defensive or better yet making fun of a person that hasn't made that mistake before or on purpose, I know how to write Isaac, you don't need make fun for a mistake or mistakes in all the times I refered to ISAAC, I would undestand if I was writting ISSAC in every post but I didn't if you find another then again it wasn't on purpose I am doing other things so some mistakes can happen. And since I wasn't even trolling that part of "go to that thread" must have been totally skipped.

Who looks wrose? me that make a simple spelling mistake or you who "asked" me to leave this thread just because of that?

There are plenty of ways to address an issue you were plain rude, next time read everything before making fun of me for something so insignificant.

This is my final stance on this I don't want to keep feeding this "off topic" so just please think about what I wrote here. I respect everybody and expect the same treatment

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
How would you guys feel about a trailer that started out like this:
Taking place in a tall building, with what looks like a desert and some mountains in the background. Little Mac is getting beat up by Ganondorf, then an Assist Trophy stand appears next to Mac. He reaches and grabs it, but nobody comes out.

Ganondorf does his taunt laugh, while Little Mac's like... WTH???
Then when Ganon's about to Warlock Punch him, a boulder slams into the ground between them. And from the top of what NOW is recognizable as the Venus Lighthouse.... Camera sets on a flailing yellow scarf, before zooming out to reveal...
ISAAC! Crossing his arms looking down at his opponents. Then smiles and jumps down.
*Isaac Joins the party theme plays* [Isaac joins the party!]

Battle montage follows.

Mac and Isaac, promoted AT buddies.
What about Isaac uses Move as his first "move", to refer to his previous AT status? And then his screen, I mean the screen where the character is shown and the sentence like "Robin Tips the Scales", we get "Isaac moves in"! :p

But still I like the idea of Isaac appearing along with Little Mac! And seeing how Sakurai said that Shulk took effort to put in but they still did, I don't see why he can't do the same for Isaac! Nintendo is listening these days so Isaac's chances must be good!

To pass the time, I found something interesting.

I'd rather have Johnny Yong Bosch.
Golden Sun and Fire Emblem crossover! Sign me up! I remember seeing that pic somewhere before and really liked the idea.

Well besides that I am glad to see that most of the mood has been resolved and people are in fine spirits again, supporting Isaac as playable in Sm4sh!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What about Isaac uses Move as his first "move", to refer to his previous AT status? And then his screen, I mean the screen where the character is shown and the sentence like "Robin Tips the Scales", we get "Isaac moves in"! :p

But still I like the idea of Isaac appearing along with Little Mac! And seeing how Sakurai said that Shulk took effort to put in but they still did, I don't see why he can't do the same for Isaac! Nintendo is listening these days so Isaac's chances must be good!

Well besides that I am glad to see that most of the mood has been resolved and people are in fine spirits again, supporting Isaac as playable in Sm4sh!

Haha, I'm never that good with the introduction messages. Got a laugh out of "Isaac Moves in!".

I wanted to give the impression that Isaac is sick of being an AT, so he went with a more hostile attack. Should have chosen Crush (that one where a fist drops down to squash something, I think that's what it was called?). But Move would've been good too. To keep up the tension, lol.

What are the chances that Sakurai, by that statement, meant one of the following:

-That type of character, that changes stats in mid-battle
-That type of character, that had JUST debuted on a Nintendo system 2 years ago.
-That type of character, who (actively) fights in his own game, after he said he didn't like porting characters from fighting games. (I know Shulk is technically from an Action jRPG, but it's still sort of apparent that he fights.... Ok this one's a stretch).

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Haha, I'm never that good with the introduction messages. Got a laugh out of "Isaac Moves in!".

I wanted to give the impression that Isaac is sick of being an AT, so he went with a more hostile attack. Should have chosen Crush (that one where a fist drops down to squash something, I think that's what it was called?). But Move would've been good too. To keep up the tension, lol.

What are the chances that Sakurai, by that statement, meant one of the following:

-That type of character, that had JUST debuted on a Nintendo system 2 years ago.
-That type of character, who (actively) fights in his own game, after he said he didn't like porting characters from fighting games. (I know Shulk is technically from an Action jRPG, but it's still sort of apparent that he fights.... Ok this one's a stretch).
Well Isaac had become a bit hotheaded by the 2nd game so the possibility of him being sick of an AT is definitely a possibility.

What Sakurai meant by that statement is still up in the air. The first two points are definitely a possibility. It might be 2nd point preferably since Shulk debuted just some time ago, only has 1 game and will not be appearing in any game henceforth. Besides the Xenoblade Chronicles port on NEW 3DS and Smash 4.

Isaac on the other hand has appeared in 3 games, been playable in 2, guest character in 1 and will be there in the next game as well. Plus he has a high chance of being playable in the next game as well! He should definitely be there in the game!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I think its the second point, really. This is the first time Sakurai has ever added a character whose franchise debuted within a few years of release with the sole exception of Pokemon. Every other franchise that appeared in Smash has been around for at least 6 years before getting into the game. Not only that, but Shulk isn't expecting to appear in future games at all except for a re-release of Xenoblade (which I figured would happen, although I didn't expect it on a handheld).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai meant that he wouldn't usually put a buff/debuff orientated character in Smash Bros because that's quite an RPG-like feature. Shulk might be a more strategically complicated character than is usual in Smash Bros.

It couldn't possibly mean JRPG characters in general because we've already gotten JRPG fighters before.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I think Sakurai meant that he wouldn't usually put a buff/debuff orientated character in Smash Bros because that's quite an RPG-like feature. Shulk might be a more strategically complicated character than is usual in Smash Bros.

It couldn't possibly mean JRPG characters in general because we've already gotten JRPG fighters before.
Yea. Although Isaac won't have the buff/debuff mechanic anymore, there is still a lot to him. Being one of the 2 most demanded trophies, other was Little Mac, he stands a good chance of being included. Now I won't be surprised if we get a psynergy only moveset as for the case of Isaac, he does not need to rely on his sword to be epic. Plus it would be a "In your FACE" moment for people who cringe about too many swordsmen.

Yea it shouldn't have been the JRPG point since it is an awesome style of game which Japan adores and I don't think they will exempt that. Plus we have other JRPG-ish characters and now Shulk who is from Xenoblade Chronicles, the latest hit JRPG from Nintendo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Another argument could be made he was referring to a second-party JRPG or something, or a more serious JRPG character. I'm really not sure, but I don't know how those comparisons work properly. The only things Shulk and Isaac have in common are being JRPG blonde protagonists, but Isaac is from a more cartoony series that fits better into Smash as a whole, and has already BEEN in Smash... just not as playable. I don't think its a point against Isaac at all, Isaac and Shulk barely have any similarities to one another. Robin has more similarities to Isaac than Shulk does.

Arteen

Smash Lord
If there are DLC characters, II wonder how they'll be implemented in the game. I hope it's more than just another spot of the character select screen. I hate to think that even if Isaac got in, he wouldn't be considered a Nintendo "All-Star".

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If there are DLC characters, II wonder how they'll be implemented in the game. I hope it's more than just another spot of the character select screen. I hate to think that even if Isaac got in, he wouldn't be considered a Nintendo "All-Star".
You mean him not appearing in All-Star mode? Nah, my bet is that if there are DLC characters they'll incorporate the ability to play through the original All-Star, and All-Star + which has additional characters not in the original game. All characters will appear in All-Star mode, though. (And Isaac is more of an All-Star than Shulk. :p)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Why do I think the new All-Star Mode is going to have all items except Assist Trophies disabled? But otherwise be pretty much standard.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Why do I think the new All-Star Mode is going to have all items except Assist Trophies disabled? But otherwise be pretty much standard.
That'd be freaking weird, I think the assist trophies will play a different part than just being items in all-star.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That'd be freaking weird, I think the assist trophies will play a different part than just being items in all-star.
The only other thing I can think is to have each one constantly appearing on the screen when you fight a certain foe, or are on a certain map.

I certainly don't see them tosses in a ton of new animations and program a whole fighter AI for the ATs. They might as well just make them playable.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The only other thing I can think is to have each one constantly appearing on the screen when you fight a certain foe, or are on a certain map.

I certainly don't see them tosses in a ton of new animations and program a whole fighter AI for the ATs. They might as well just make them playable.
Yea! Make every assist trophy playable! :p

Ok, I drop the act, I don't care about any ex-trophy just give playable Isaac so he would be a part as fighter in All-Star Mode!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe they'll become defeatable in a special mode? Maybe it could be called Sub-star mode. They would act like míni-bosses.

No idea what threat Shadow would pose, though. Maybe you have to deplete his HP before a minute goes by.
But defeating assists like Abdross would be awesome!

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Maybe they'll become defeatable in a special mode? Maybe it could be called Sub-star mode. They would act like míni-bosses.

No idea what threat Shadow would pose, though. Maybe you have to deplete his HP before a minute goes by.
But defeating assists like Abdross would be awesome!
How can he have Abs when he doesn't even have a torso?

Someone needs to make an Abdross now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wondered if we could like add Assists as "powers" to the bag like in Smash Run before moving out to All Star, and they'd also give different effects or aid us in some ways. I remember ruling out the possiblity of Assists having a role in All Star, but this is closest it could work like so, due not being mentioned in the mode itself.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Even if we get DLC, how much hope would we really have?

I mean everybody points at Mario Kart 8's newly revealed DLC as a shining example of what could happen with SSB, but in terms of characters (the DLC is amazing overall, don't get me wrong) the only really exciting ones are Link, the Animal Crossing characters, and maybe Dry Bowser.

That's right, only ONE character that MK fans were lamenting the loss of, hoping that DLC would fix, actually made it. Aside from the special cameo characters, we got... Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario. Not Diddy Kong. Not Birdo. Not Bowser Jr. Not any character of significance that so many were hoping DLC would fix... Just MORE Mario/Peach clones.

I'm afraid if DLC arrives for SSB, it may end up being the same sort of thing.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I mean everybody points at Mario Kart 8's newly revealed DLC as a shining example of what could happen with SSB, but in terms of characters (the DLC is amazing overall, don't get me wrong) the only really exciting ones are Link, the Animal Crossing characters, and maybe Dry Bowser.

That's right, only ONE character that MK fans were lamenting the loss of, hoping that DLC would fix, actually made it. Aside from the special cameo characters, we got... Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario. Not Diddy Kong. Not Birdo. Not Bowser Jr. Not any character of significance that so many were hoping DLC would fix... Just MORE Mario/Peach clones.

Get ready for Toon Zelda, Dr. Luigi and Metal Mario! These are characters you never knew you wanted!:troll:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Get ready for Toon Zelda, Dr. Luigi and Metal Mario! These are characters you never knew you wanted!:troll:
The thing that bothers me the most is that if I hadn't seen the leaked roster, my first assumptions over what the bottom of the barrel characters they would choose to put out for DLC would be Doctor Mario and Dark Pit.

But... They ended up on the actual roster. -_- (To be fair, I could forgive Doctor Mario since he is a veteran and I think it would be cool to be able to have all SSB characters in a single game, but Dark Pit... No sympathy)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Little Mac used Captain Falcon as a base (not to mention Ganondorf), so who's to say they wouldn't use Robin for Isaac's base to make it much easier?

I count on at least 1 or 2 original characters before, before they start porting Brawl's leftover characters. I'd be happy if they make Ivy and Squirtle return, but only IF Brawl characters were the priority, otherwise I'd gladly trade them for Isaac, Mach Rider, and some other characters I care about more.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac used Captain Falcon as a base (not to mention Ganondorf), so who's to say they wouldn't use Robin for Isaac's base to make it much easier?

I count on at least 1 or 2 original characters before, before they start porting Brawl's leftover characters. I'd be happy if they make Ivy and Squirtle return, but only IF Brawl characters were the priority, otherwise I'd gladly trade them for Isaac, Mach Rider, and some other characters I care about more.
I would be pretty much satisfied with a robin clone (exchanging elements with Isaac's), with different animations, changing the tomes gimmick for Dijinns (sharing the same functionality), and having an unique special attack for glove-themed pysnergies.

Can I sign that? I would.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace

If that's the case, let's hope a SSB4 DLC brings Isaac and some other clones, as long as I can get Isaac, i would say the roster is complete.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If that's the case, let's hope a SSB4 DLC brings Isaac and some other clones, as long as I can get Isaac, i would say the roster is complete.
I would take Isaac as a clone (perhaps desperately so somewhat xD), as much as I hate to say it... But I'm afraid Isaac wouldn't be considered here... Factoring in clones like Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario, we might as well start expecting characters like what True Blue Warrior mentioned. -_-

My main hope in DLC would be giving us the option to have every single playable character in SSB history. I know, Young Link and Pichu are crazy... But considering we already have Doctor Mario...

Although I'm not sure how many DLC characters could ultimately even show up. I just hope they have something planned for the Wii U release because they are going to need something major to start up hype for the Wii U version. I would think that would be the prime time for characters like Isaac and Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie Kong (or some third DK rep) if they aren't actually in the game already.

Although that is probably way too optimistic for what we could get.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Well to be fair, Sakurai didn't pick the Mario Kart 8 dlc characters.

I have much more faith in Sakurai's choices than whoever decided Pink Gold Peach was a good idea.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I would take Isaac as a clone (perhaps desperately so somewhat xD), as much as I hate to say it... But I'm afraid Isaac wouldn't be considered here... Factoring in clones like Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario, we might as well start expecting characters like what True Blue Warrior mentioned. -_-

My main hope in DLC would be giving us the option to have every single playable character in SSB history. I know, Young Link and Pichu are crazy... But considering we already have Doctor Mario...

Although I'm not sure how many DLC characters could ultimately even show up. I just hope they have something planned for the Wii U release because they are going to need something major to start up hype for the Wii U version. I would think that would be the prime time for characters like Isaac and Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie Kong (or some third DK rep) if they aren't actually in the game already.

Although that is probably way too optimistic for what we could get.
Some suggestions for hyping up the WiiU version I've seen are pretty good.

For example, having new characters on the WiiU version and making them free-DLC characters for the 3DS launched on the WiiU's version release date.

It'd be neat :)

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
The thing that bothers me the most is that if I hadn't seen the leaked roster, my first assumptions over what the bottom of the barrel characters they would choose to put out for DLC would be Doctor Mario and Dark Pit.

But... They ended up on the actual roster. -_- (To be fair, I could forgive Doctor Mario since he is a veteran and I think it would be cool to be able to have all SSB characters in a single game, but Dark Pit... No sympathy)
sorry but dr mario gets no sympathy from me. dark pit, i could forgive.

Pcubed007

Smash Rookie
Well to be fair, Sakurai didn't pick the Mario Kart 8 dlc characters.

I have much more faith in Sakurai's choices than whoever decided Pink Gold Peach was a good idea.
Dr. Mario and Dark Pitt.

I have no faith in his judgement. YES he is looking to fans but to a certain degree it's also according to his interests, and what he would want in the game. That being said, Who knows?

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Dr. Mario and Dark Pitt.

I have no faith in his judgement. YES he is looking to fans but to a certain degree it's also according to his interests, and what he would want in the game. That being said, Who knows?
this. why would sakurai add more clones, especially dr. mario when we already have mario in the game? i don't agree with his statement about lucina. dr. mario should have been an alt and he couldve used the character slot for someone else! shoot that could've been Isaac in that slot if he's not initially playable. thats just laziness on the man's part. honestly, i'm still hoping out for Isaac, i just wish sakurai could use some common sense that clones are a waste of characters and time.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'll give Sakurai credit for a lot of his roster decisions (Wii Fit Trainer was an inspired choice), but some of his choices are blatantly indulgent and I don't think he does a great job at representing the breadth of Nintendo franchises.

Duck Hunt dog feels like a bad joke that would've worked just as well as an assist trophy. If there was enough development time to add in a pair of clones, Sakurai could've done much, much better than Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Or just make them costumes and use that time to take the day off instead.

I don't know if I have enough faith in Sakurai to create a good DLC roster. I'd like to think he'd add in a few of those "couldn’t quite make it" assist trophy fighters to the roster, but I wouldn't put it past him to include Hammer Bro and Knuckle Joe over Isaac.

Honestly I wouldn't mind someone else taking over as director for the next Smash. As long as it's not Mario Kart 8 DLC decider guy.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I get hating Doctor mario but there's no reason to hit dark pit.For all we know he could have a unique moveset.However i would perfer issac over the Doc.mario

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Isaac's assist still not confirmed, no leaks point towards his inclusion, and 13 days till the Japanese release, what the hell is going on!?
I get hating Doctor mario but there's no reason to hit dark pit.For all we know he could have a unique moveset.However i would perfer issac over the Doc.mario
I hate anyone who's name is almost identical to another's, Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, Young Link, and Toon Link, don't know why but it's always annoyed me.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Honestly I wouldn't mind someone else taking over as director for the next Smash. As long as it's not Mario Kart 8 DLC decider guy.

I think you all are part of a vastly different Mario Kart fanbase than I am.

Dry Bowser may have had a ton of people asking for him in. Goombas and other Mario reps may have been heavily requested as well.

But those requests are pitiful compared to the thousands, if not millions, of requests I have seen for Smash Kart. Getting in characters from other franchises has been the single most popular request by a long shot in any discussion about the games I've seen over the past decade. Heck, since the announcement, it has gone even higher, now that people actually realize that it's a possibility.

This isn't a Dry Bowser DLC. It's a Villager DLC. It's not a Tanooki Mario DLC. It's a Link DLC. The extra characters are just incidental, it is the Smash Bros. stars who are at the heart of the DLC. Right down to having Cups using their logos, having courses (and music) made after them, and getting their own carts (Epona motorcycle, please...).

What's more, this is just the first step. This is just testing the waters at this point. These are being watched very closely. How much they sell now. How much they sell upon release. These are going to determine how much more effort they put in. How many more Smash Bros. stars and requested characters make it in. If this DLC sells like hotcakes (and it will), Nintendo is going to see the potential, and go further with future DLC.

What's more, the fact that they're outside characters means more for Isaac's Smash Bros. chances. If they were just doing the bonus characters like Tanooki Mario, Dry Bowser, or even if they added a Goomba, that would be the death of Isaac for DLC chances (hopefully he's in game so none of this will matter, though). That would show that they weren't interested in making new characters, only reusing assets and models, tweaking them slightly. It would mean that we might get more clones (Pichu back, yay!), but no new characters. By including Link, by them building him a whole new model, it shows that they can go beyond their current assets, that they will work on actual content, and that they'll bring on things from outside the existing franchise.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Guys, let's cut out this "hating every character not named Isaac" discussion. Why not talk about something Golden Sun related instead?

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
say guys, i really hate to say this but i noticed something about the stage selection screen. you guys mentioned that there was one more spot for a stage. unfortunately, i have to say, the stage selection screen is lacking a kirby themed stage. i feel like that might be the last stage and not a golden sun stage. sorry.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Guys, let's cut out this "hating every character not named Isaac" discussion. Why not talk about something Golden Sun related instead?
[Character not named Isaac] is the worst character in SSB4! I just can't believe [Character not named Isaac] is on the roster.

And really Sakurai, two plumbers? :facepalm:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I agree. This is just stupid. No mentioned hated character here even competes with Isaac.

Isaac is not retro enough to diss Duck Hunt Dog about stealing his spot. I can't even believe why the iconicness of DHD is even questioned... His game was extremely accessible, it was the "Wii Sports" of the NES era, that even came bundled with SMB1, a staple in gaming.

As much as I hate the clones, unless I wanted Isaac to be a clone himself, I woulnd't bash Lucina, Doc, or Dark Pit for not getting in. And believe me, I HATE these inclusions for being recolors/costumes turned characters instead of the Roy/Falco/Pichu treatment, but even I can tell when it's relevant to bash them and when it's not.

Yeah, I'm still a tiny bit bitter that Shulk got an ammount of love that Isaac could have only dreamed off back in Brawl days. But not only am I over that, but there must be another reason why Isaac is being overlooked.

Let's say... 2nd party status. Perhaps it's because it's harder to strike a deal with Camelot.
Perhaps Camelot didn't even ask Sakurai to get a GS character in the game, if they were too busy cashing in from Mario's spinoff sport titles.
Or perhaps we have to blame Sakurai for his general overlook of GBA or handheld characters in general.

Top Bottom