• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is wolfs nair useful?

napZzz

Smash Hero
Lately I've been tinkering with wolf, and I've been wondering if I should be using his nair. Sometimes I can nair->aaa but I'm not sure if its because of different spots I'm hitting it with or if someone I'm playing can counter attack since I dont think they take any kind of flinching or such.....I think?

4Fit

Smash Rookie
Wolf's Nair can be a good approach option but it also shouldn't be used too much because it could become predictable. Nair to jab combo does work but you can be shield grabbed. Also try throwing out your Nair when your being knocked around in the air, it can catch your opponent off guard and its a good alternative to some of your other options. The important thing to remember is to not use it too much and become predictable.

JCav

Smash Lord
i actually dont mind nair sometimes. i think a good time to utilize it is when bair gets stale but just hit with the 8% hit or you usually will get punished

Reddent11

Smash Rookie
I personally like wolf's nair and find it useful at times but im not always sure what to use after it??

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Nair is a garbage move. After the first initial hit, none of the other hits do knockback or hitstun, the opponent can do anything to you while you are in this period of "You can't do crap while they can do anything" It's range is extremely crappy, it's punishability rating is through the roof. The only really "Good" aspect about this is that it has good priority (Due to Wolf's hurtbox being massively reduced) and little landing lag.

The ONLY situation I have found a good, non-punishable use for this is when I'm very close to the ground (Falling) , very close to my opponent, and my opponent isn't shielding. Then you need a quick hit move with little landing lag, it sends them away, and you go on with your game.

To me this simply has no other uses, in every situation it could possibly be used in, 99% of the time, there's a better, safer option for Wolf to use.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about that, I tend to use it towards them and then I use my reflector, It tends to work al the time, if not most of the time. It isnt totally useless, but to throw your game a bit, use it discretly

Reddent11

Smash Rookie
Wow i sound like such i hypocrite but the Nair, reflector combo does work alot of the time......
its also good after low jumps

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I can sometimes pull off a nair>dsmash combo, but I haven't really tinkered with it enough to know what situation to use it in, where I have to hit the opponent, etc.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Nair covers more angles at once than his other aerials. As Arcpoint stated, it has little landing lag and good priority. It also combos into various things at low percents. Not a good approach, but a versatile counter move to create space and regain control. I mainly use it to quickly hit someone directly under me.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I also think, that nair is better than arc sais. Only the first hit has no hitstun but the other hits come out fast enough to stun the enemies long enough

I usually use it to pressure their shields: SH Nair -> Jab -> Jab -> (Jab cancel) -> Dtilt -> Dtilt is a nice pseudo combo. Many opponents will find themselves surprised

§witch

Smash Lord
Mmk, nair approaches fail. Why? It has no hitstun and extremely low damage (less than 1% per hit) meaning they can attack you while doing it. It's extremely easy to see coming, and the shine afterwords is sheildable, and therefore you will get grabbed. If I ever do an approach that doesn't involve mixing up the jump heights of my bair, it's a FF uair.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
My least used move in my Wolf game. The first hit has good priority, but the subsequent hits have hitstun, knockback, or even the damage to make it worth using, imo. Maybe if you're heading into the ground next to the opponent where a Fair or Dair would leave you open because of landing lag, but that's really the only place I can think of to use it.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Deep Nair - Dtilt is guaranteed combo at 0%. If the Dtilt trips, you get a free Fsmash too.

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
Nair isn't that bad. Granted, it's in no way abusable, but it's not bad. Just make sure to, you know, hit with the initial part that has knockback, and to use it low to the ground to end lag. I can usually follow up with a jab.

I use N-air more than D-air.

JFizzle

Smash Apprentice
I would say the best use of Nair would be the lock. I thought this was no good, but it works really well on big characters like DDD and DK,

From what I've experienced, the 2nd Nair hit (out of the 3) technically has 2 hits. The first is the one which will do the Nair lock, but the second will not. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that only one of these 2 second Nair hits actually stuns people, and I'm guessing it's the one that can be done with the lock, the initial 2nd hit. The secondary 2nd hit will give percent, but the opponent will not flinch, making it seem like Nair sucks. Maybe someone can elaborate on this??

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think you need an action replay to find out stuff like that...or the frames of wolfs attacks

Thirskk

Smash Rookie
yah nair is good for stringing combos together but not for approaches
its not used all the time by myself but thats just me
i just try and use it when i see its beneficial

GreyWolfii

Smash Cadet
as you become better with wolf youll find good uses for it, DONT shut it out your game completly. the first hit (yes, the most important) comes off faster than all his other airals(EVEN Bair). so it can be a good inturupter from your foes slightly slower attacks, not to mention it will do more damage than the slightly more accurate -wolflector-.

otherwise you could easily out prioritize attacks like fox+falcos illusion. which, some may not know, can really screw with their heads (not to say they and other characters have something to counter our -o'donnelusion-)

in wolfs metagame:

Nair shouldnt be used as a primary approach at all. -Wolfangin-(my fancy shmacy name 4 0lag Fairs while DI'ing away) and Wall-of-Wolf are your best approaches (though im sure you know this) and if youre not doing this you should be cappin they sessa.

however it NEVER hurts to throw in a Nair->Wolflector->Dsmash/Fsmash a good once in a while. as many already stated, "it works"

tl;dr- use it vs attacks like fox/ falcos illusion. and listen to anyone who anyone in this topic(or all before this post) that isnt trying to tell you how useless of an attack it is~ (no offense)

Top Bottom