• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is using the Wii Remote really so bad?

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
I plan on getting a Wii and SSBB sometime this weekend and the Wii I'm getting will be the new model (which doesn't support GC controller/games). So I'm wondering, will my experience be horrible because I'm using the Wii Remote?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Depends on what you prefer, if this is your first Smash game you´ll have to learn the controlls anyway. But just about 99% of the people who also played Melee prefer the GCN controller. And so do I.

The Classic Controller is also an option, never played with it but it´s the most similar control system to the GCN controller. Just see whatever you prefer.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
People flip out over the Classic controller, at least back when people found out there would be a new Smash bros for the Wii U and feared there won't be Gamecube controller capability. Though honestly, it is because those people don't even try to master it. I used to be those people until I used it in a few Smash Sessions and mastered it, now it is solely what I use.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
DON'T USE A WIIMOTE. THERE IS NO ****ING WAY TO SMASH OTHER THAN TAP+2. PLUS, IT'S MUCH MORE UNCOMFORTABLE THAN THE OTHER CONFIGURATIONS. ALSO, A GAMECUBE CONTROLLER IS MUCH MORE DURABLE ( I knew someone that had theirs working for about a decade ).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The button actions are highly limited with the Wii Remote all by itself. I wouldn't recommend using that control scheme for Brawl anyway.

The Classic Controller is a better option, but a lot choose the GameCube Controller, since it's wired.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Actually Hori is known for making some high quality products and the Gamecube controller design is something smashers are more used too and the buttons are more comfortable than the Classic Controller(Plus)'s. If the WiiU doesn't support Gamecube controller then I'm definitely getting this instead.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
The Wii Remote (by itself) is definitely the worst controller option for SSBB. I highly recommend just using the Gamecube controller.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, seeing as the Gamecube controller won't be an option for you, you're better off with the Classic Controller, as it's the closest thing to a GC controller. I mean, Vermanubis plays with a Classic Controller, and he does very well.

yani

Smash Lord
Get a Classic Controller Pro. Works wonders. Wiimote +Nunchuk works pretty well too. Though nothing beats GCN ;)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Just throwing this out: It is impossible to DACUS on Wiimote only.

A fairly decent player in my region plays exclusively with Wiimote (mostly because he much prefers a DPad to analogue stick) and has tried everything he could think of. Only Falco you can DI away and down from out of DThrow and be safe.

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go with the Classic Controller Pro.

Top Bottom