• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this the first Smash game you started following?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Are Smash Wii U/ 3DS the first Smash games you started following? For me they are, and I think it's because I'm interested in the handheld version, Sakurai's roster choices, how the 3ds and Wii U versions will connect with each other, and how he decides to go about balancing the game. These games just seem to have a lot of unique stuff going for it, and I want to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I still remember the days of waking up at 5 am just to see what went up on smashdojo.com every day.

Those were the best days.
That's what everyone says, but I just wasn't that interested by it. Honestly, I wasn't interested by the game itself(that didn't stop me from buying it somehow).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was just too late for the pre-Melee train, got Melee early after its release in Europe. I followed Brawl just as much as I follow this one though. I was way more hyped for Brawl though, it had so many new characters that appealed to me (currently there's only Mega Man as potential alt material), so I was incredibly frantic in my hype.

The only thing that made me come back was Ridley though, depending on how that turns out it'll decide for how much longer I'll stick around. Sakurai is a clever man however, so we likely won't find out until the game's release, or right before it at least.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Yep. Didn't know about Smash Bros until Brawl though. It's like Sun & Moon said: The waiting it torture...

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I own both Melee and Brawl and loved both games, but this is the first one I am actually following with all the updates and whatnot. I bought a Wii U, going to get that version and so excited for it.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I tend to always be on the go, so the fact I can take my Smash with me at times is amazing. I was also really anticipating Little Mac's reveal, because I felt like he was an obvious character.

Ultear

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ultear
This is also the first one im following, I was too young in pre-melee days and brawl just not looked so interisting to me, but Smash 4 just lookes awesome.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Didn't follow Brawl much because I didn't have a Wii until 2009, and I was too young in 2001 for Melee, and I'm following Smash 4 because I have a 3DS, hoping to get a Wii U before it comes out though.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Following Brawl was so fun. I'm stoked for this game as well but I generally don't wait up for the updates like I did for SSBB (Though I'm working now vs when I was in high school then so take what you will from that)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I was just too late for the pre-Melee train, got Melee early after its release followed Brawl just as much as I follow this one. I was way more hyped for Brawl though, it had so many new characters that appealed to me (currently there's only Mega Man as potential alt material), so I was incredibly frantic in my hype.

The only thing that made me come back was Ridley though, depending on how that turns out it'll decide for how much longer I'll stick around. Sakurai is a clever man however, so we likely won't find out until the game's release, or right before it at least.
Same here, I was in high school when Smash 64 came out. I rented it but wasn't really impressed. Most of my N64 multiplayer time went to Gauntlet, Mario Kart, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and the AKI Wrestling games. Smash 64 seemed okay, I remember thinking it was cool that Ness from Earthbound was in but I was kind of disappointed with the small roster (I wanted Little Mac and Pit, lol.)

I ended up buying a Gamecube in November of it's launch year, and I ended up getting Melee just because nothing else was really out.... I was in college and almost all of our game time went to playing matches of Smash and a little Halo. I followed Brawl closely and thought it would be the last time I that I followed Smash, figured I would be too old when Smash 4 came out. But here I am!

Khao

Smash Lord
The first time I heard about Melee was when it was released, Brawl, though, yeah, saw the first trailer the very day it was first revealed, and kept following the Dojo updates every single day, my friends and I used to go to the computer lab at school just to check what the daily update was, those were the times.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I followed both Melee and Brawl. With Melee I was pretty much hooked from the E3 2001 trailer and ate up any bit of news that was put out about it (which wasn't much because it was the Internet 1.0 days *horf horf horf*). I followed Brawl religiously and that's how I wound up here. Six years later, a lot has changed but Smash is still my favorite video game franchise. Maybe it's just because I'm older now but I have a lot fewer expectations this time around and am just looking forward to finally playing SSB4.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Been following since 64. I remember owning an issue of NIntendo Power I think that info on it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Played the original when it came out, but was too young pre-melee to know i could go online and find new info. I followed Brawl every day before school i'd check the update. And i found this website during that time. And i'm still here.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Actually, it's the first one for as weird as it sounds since the first I played was Melee but I have a little story. See, I playec melee as a young age (french is my first language so understanding trophy description in english was impossible) because of this I had a lot of fun despite not even knowing who was ganondorf. I did the mistake of selling my gc and by watching the youtube serie "history behing ssbm" I just realised what I missed: this game like many other are A LOT detailed and well tough. I enventualy bought a gc on ebay (and still regrets my mistake) but by the time I got a wii, ssbb was already released like a year ago so I couldn't follow it.

But now, I like how I'm not spoiled but gets update that may or may not be explicit (please I like Ridley).

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I was just too late for the pre-Melee train, got Melee early after its release in Europe. I followed Brawl just as much as I follow this one though. I was way more hyped for Brawl though, it had so many new characters that appealed to me (currently there's only Mega Man as potential alt material), so I was incredibly frantic in my hype.

basically my story

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I was a lot younger when Melee and Brawl came out so I never really followed them. This is the first game I'm following and it's really exciting seeing a new update everyday.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Followed Brawl in its latter half. Straight up died of anticipation when Olimar was announced.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I followed Brawl pretty religiously back in the day. I remember being in the 10th grade and checking the Dojo every single morning before heading to class.

But I was a lone wolf back then. This is the first Smash I'm following with the community! :bee:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I didn't have an N64, and barely knew about the original Smash.

Melee was one of the first two games my brother and I got for our GameCube (the other was Tony Hawk 3), but I only knew it by reputation. I think I read an article about it in EGM.

Brawl was when I got really into it. I was in college and remember staying up super late every night waiting for those Dojo updates. My roommates at the time were into it too, and we'd all discuss the updates over coffee before we headed to class in the morning. Those were the days.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Been following Smash since the day it came out on the N64. I guess I'm a true Super Smash Bros. veteran.

If this is your first Smash, welcome to the fun! Smash Bros. is a great series, and if you like Smash 4, I highly suggest checking out Smash 64, Melee and Brawl as well. All great games in their own right.

I only rented the original Smash. A demo of Melee at Best Buy was the deciding factor in me getting a GameCube, a system I miss dearly.

I remember staying up till 2 AM every weeknight during the summer of '07 to see the Brawl updates, and I had a few fellow Smash pals who I'd talk to about it. Then when school started and I couldn't stay up that late, I'd wake up in the morning and, first thing, beeline to the computer to check the updates.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Yus i didn't know about the brawl dojo until after brawl came out.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I followed Melee as best I could back in the day but not as much as I did for both Brawl and do forSmash 4. Sadly, this will probably be the last Smash I will intensely follow :/

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
why is that?
Considering that I will most likely have a child or two, a different job, and more responsibility plus I am not getting any younger - I won't be able dedicate much time to speculation. Sure, if there is a Smash 5, I'll get it but I won't be as active in the speculation scene. A lot of stuff can happen in 5-6 years.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I didn't know about Smash until Brawl, and I didn't follow Brawl all that much.

So yeah, this is the first Smash game I'm intensely following, and looks like I'll be doing so for the next Smash as well, no matter how far off it is.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Played 64, Melee and Brawl a ton, but Brawl and Smash 4 are the only ones I followed.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have a confession.... I followed PSASBR back in 2012. Alright, I'm ready for the rage...
As did I. I still play the game. It's alright. Not the best but I hope they improve a lot on it for when they do the inevitable sequel. And add Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and Lara. Amazing idea but poorly executed.

Last edited:

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
I was on these forums very regularly back in the days when the Melee Roaster was first being leaked. The leak seemed so fake because the character boxes on the side didn't line up properly. No one believed it. Then I followed Brawl again regularly, but mostly as a spectator. I finally decided after nearly a decade to make a new account.

Those were the days :).

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Yes, this is the first Smash game that I'm following.
I never pursued or owned 64 and Melee, and I wasn't really aware of Brawl's news.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I didn't really follow Brawl, though the E3 trailer back in 2006 as well as Sonic's confirmation really got me excited for it. I'm following Smash 4 very regularly now, especially because there's a lot in this game that appeals to me.

Top Bottom