• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this game too *weebified* ?

Is Smash Ultimate too you-know-what?

• Omg yes it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's salvagable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vierge

#1******
Switch FC
3850 4617 0606
Imo it's kind of a big deal how this game is completely one-sided in regional style and content. I realize all Nintendo games are relatively 'weeb' but this game gets as in your face with it as it can. A lot of gameplay elements are conspicuously intended to favor the Japanese consumer even in a US localization release. Yes, characters have been voice-acted solely in Japanese since melee, but we didn't have ones that were from games altogether exclusive to Japan (so far this means Joker.)
I can overlook the spirits that are/were from Japan-only games, but characters too? Most of all though I can't stand the incessant KIAI BONZAI!!! voice acting you have to endure when playing against a character like Link and Roy. There isn't a hint of globalization in Link's voice acting anymore. And I hate the new Zelda model (totally weebified) and I also have a problem with Funky Kong. I'm sure there is more I've neglected to mention. Earthbound's PSI power is written into about 1/3 of all the legendary spirits for some reason. I don't think there will be a smash 6 but I can't imagine it being any more in your face with the J-Fubu.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Īe! Sakurai wa watashi no waifudesu!
Huh, what's that supposed to mean?
googletranslate.png

Well that wasn't helpful at all.

Nice troll thread by the way.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wait. What's the problem with Funky Kong?

osby osby just brought up a good point about DLC last time over in the general discussion thread about DLC using previous assets. Maybe those with similar aesthetics are easier to make as a result?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait. What's the problem with Funky Kong?

osby osby just brought up a good point about DLC last time over in the general discussion thread about DLC using previous assets. Maybe those with similar aesthetics are easier to make as a result?
You are mixing up having similar body types with aesthetics. Bayonetta has a completely different art style than Metroid but she's still based off from Zero Suit Samus.

I won't pretend this isn't a troll thread that is worth taking seriously but I can at least say art and sound direction has nothing to do with models and gameplay.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
...Wait, what? Marth and Roy came in Melee, when Fire Emblem wasn't even planned to be released in the West. It was a Japan-only series, and the entire reason Fire Emblem even came overseas was because our weeb swordsmen were popular enough in Melee for it. Lucas also never had his game released overseas, only Ness. Joker is also from Persona 5 which has been released overseas. Q2 is the excuse to put him in Smash and may very well see an overseas release as well so I'm not bothered. Everyone aside from Cloud is also voiced in English.

TL;DR: We've had Japan-only characters since Melee, and the only Japan-only character right now is Lucas. Only Cloud has a Japanese voice.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
...this is a thread?
You took the time to make a poll AND fart out a paragraph too?

Neat

Trolling aside, you aren't actually looking for a conversation. You voiced your opinion and it has been noted.

Thanks for sharing.

anyone who actually "dislikes" the new Zelda design... I don't think we can be friends.

Dunharrow

Smash Cadet
No i dont think this game is weebafied... Fire emblem is a popular franchise. More prolific than something like metroid or Donkey Kong at the moment. Cloud and bayonetta are still weird in my opinion but Its not surprising to see all the anime style characters. Also Zelda is taken from A Link to the past zelda so..... not weeb. doenst really matter... does it?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If anything, it's not weebified enough.

Bring on ArcSys to do graphics for Smash 6!

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Imo it's kind of a big deal how this game is completely one-sided in regional style and content. I realize all Nintendo games are relatively 'weeb' but this game gets as in your face with it as it can. A lot of gameplay elements are conspicuously intended to favor the Japanese consumer even in a US localization release. Yes, characters have been voice-acted solely in Japanese since melee, but we didn't have ones that were from games altogether exclusive to Japan (so far this means Joker.)
I can overlook the spirits that are/were from Japan-only games, but characters too? Most of all though I can't stand the incessant KIAI BONZAI!!! voice acting you have to endure when playing against a character like Link and Roy. There isn't a hint of globalization in Link's voice acting anymore. And I hate the new Zelda model (totally weebified) and I also have a problem with Funky Kong. I'm sure there is more I've neglected to mention. Earthbound's PSI power is written into about 1/3 of all the legendary spirits for some reason. I don't think there will be a smash 6 but I can't imagine it being any more in your face with the J-Fubu.
Not trying to be rude but globalization is the last thing you want to see in Japanese games. Look at what happened to Injustice 2 an American game due to globalization. To avoid getting banned in certain regions like the first game did they covered up Wonder Woman's butt. Or what happened to Raindow 6 Siege because Ubi Soft wanted to break into the Chinese market. Globalization is a disease. I want American games to feel American, Japanese games to feel Japanese and European games to be janky as heck ( I do love me some Two Worlds :3 )

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Smash? Weeb-y? I don’t think you’re using the term correctly. Perhaps your stance will change after playing Guilty Gear or Blazblue?

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
Smash? Weeb-y? I don’t think you’re using the term correctly. Perhaps your stance will change after playing Guilty Gear or Blazblue?
Straight facts. Smash isnt even close to be as weeb-y as such game.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I hope this topic is a joke cause you're pretty dumb if you honestly think that.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It brings in them to where?
As in, a good amount of Smash fans seems to also enjoy anime and would be what some could consider "weebs". It has a certain appeal that draws in people who enjoy that kind of stuff.

A good deal of this site's users and a huge amount of people on Discord servers kinda give me that impression.

I'm not claiming there's a direct relation and that the game is tailor-made for that, just that a good amount of fans seem to also enjoy "weeb-y" things.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Weird. It's almost like there's a huge amount of crossover between people who like Japanese video games and people who like Japanese cartoons.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There is little to no discussion value to this. I’ll be locking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom