• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a way to not get the slide from a pivot grab?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I'm tired of predicting almost every single move my opponents do, only so I could do NOTHING about it. You could shield all the projectiles you want, but you can't do anything about it. Even Falcon has decent OoS options.

Ganon needs a bigger grab range. I know that complaining about it won't do anything, so I ask you this question. Is there a way to not get the slide from Ganon's pivot grab? If there is a way, winning with Ganon could be so much easier.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I saw some cool teleporting esque grab. It's like a salmon smash--with a grab instead. But, whatever. It's ill tho.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hit Z, then input the direction.

Instead of doing direction + Z.

It makes every character stop in place and pivot grab, except Ness, who goes farther than even his back+Z pivot grab.
Alternately, do the direction+Z input during the dash. All characters stop in place when pivoting in the dash.

.... like..... I could swear I've seen you do that.

... And you're the one who brought shield pivot grabbing (via C-stick) to Ganon boards!

So I'm not sure I understand the question.

EDIT: Oh shoot. 1337 posts.

Ah well. To have an occasion for these things is just not in me. What am I gonna do, post in big green letters then quit posting forever to preserve it? :rolleyes:

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
yeah there is kalm, do you want me do make a vid demonstrating the differences? It doesn't really seem that helpful though to be honest. I know where you're going(or want to go) with this, but I don't think it's really practical. I'll show you anyway though if you want it.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Hit Z, then input the direction.

Instead of doing direction + Z.

It makes every character stop in place and pivot grab, except Ness, who goes farther than even his back+Z pivot grab.
Alternately, do the direction+Z input during the dash. All characters stop in place when pivoting in the dash.

.... like..... I could swear I've seen you do that.

... And you're the one who brought shield pivot grabbing (via C-stick) to Ganon boards!

So I'm not sure I understand the question.

EDIT: Oh shoot. 1337 posts.

Ah well. To have an occasion for these things is just not in me. What am I gonna do, post in big green letters then quit posting forever to preserve it? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I knew that you could use pivot grab OoS, but does this method stop you directly in place without the transaction, and every single time?

yeah there is kalm, do you want me do make a vid demonstrating the differences
Sure do.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Tallest char in the game + T Rex arms = Fail
I have never seen it summed up so perfectly before. Give this man a medal.

Really Zigma? You liked that name? I pretty much thought it WAS called that. It's a teleporting grab. It retreats a little which I like. I want the backward slide all day. But, I really like the range on it--it seems a little bigger.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Instant Pivot grabbing:

Smash backwards, and QUICKLY press C stick forwards + Z.

Problem solved.

Pivot grabbing out of shield however is a pretty bad idea. Think Yoshi's shieldgrab (17 frames), except with half the range.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Instant Pivot grabbing:

Smash backwards, and QUICKLY press C stick forwards + Z.

Problem solved.

Pivot grabbing out of shield however is a pretty bad idea. Think Yoshi's shieldgrab (17 frames), except with half the range.
That's the problem. You're not sure when, or when not, you'll get the slide from that method.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
It's all timing and reflexes. Get the timing down. It's not THAT hard to do.
C-stick removes some control from the player.

Remember, if you C-stick and don't neutralize ("5") the analog, you're actually inputting

[forward tap], [back tap] + A ^ Z, [forward tap]
(where ^ denotes a possibly nonzero time that still has input overlap)

The second step is triggered by the C-motion, and causes the third step to occur a frame after (or however fast C-stick is).

You could just not use the C-stick. I've never found it to actually make anything faster. And I have ****ty fingers (that somehow make it hard to do things with my thumbs just because I'm hitting Z). :urg: :dizzy:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Dash Dance.

Dash dance before you do it.

Forward -> Back -> Pivot Grab (any input).

The small distance you move back has to be made up by the small distance you moved forward.

This is so easy to do I didn't even realize what I did at first. I look at it and go "wait, I flicked the A-stick three times?"

But it works.
Still, that's assuming your umbrage with the normal method is legit, Ray, which I don't see. You don't slide! Barely!

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Dash Dance.

Dash dance before you do it.

Forward -> Back -> Pivot Grab (any input).

The small distance you move back has to be made up by the small distance you moved forward.

This is so easy to do I didn't even realize what I did at first. I look at it and go "wait, I flicked the A-stick three times?"

But it works.
Still, that's assuming your umbrage with the normal method is legit, Ray, which I don't see. You don't slide! Barely!
Yeah, Red8 just showed me how. Doing it OoS seems VERY hard.

Top Bottom