• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a character you have stopped maining/playing?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I know the Peach feel, I loved Peach in Melee. I didn't like her in Brawl though, so I switched to Sheik in that game. She seems ok in this game though.

I used to play Mario back in N64, but his nerfs overtime through smash turned me away from him. He seems pretty solid in Sm4sh now.

During my short Brawl career, before I found out how broken some things were, I used to play Sheik. She seems to be amazing in this new game, but I haven't tried her enough to say for sure.

It's too early to say right now who I would main, but so far I've liked Shulk, Duck Hunt, Bowser and Fox as potential mains for this game. EDIT: oh, and RosaLuma. She's tough to get used to, but so good once you start to get creative with her Luma setups

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I planned to main Mega Man for 3DS. However, Rosalina is criminally fun to play as. I still have plans to play Mega Man more though, as the 3DS controls can screw Rosalina up.

Sonic is a similar case - he's certainly a LOT better, and definitely a top tier contender. However, I struggle to control him properly on the 3DS. I have SD'd so many times with him, and I rarely did this in Brawl and PM. I still use him a lot in Smash Run though, and in general, I suppose. He's my second most used character.

I will probably have much more fun with Rosalina and Sonic on Wii U. Rosalina is still good on 3DS though, so I've been sticking with her.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Might be Mr. G&W, but I dunno. I haven't really dived into this game too much yet. Although, Greninja might be the one being dropped since he's was inspirational to play at first but weird to KO with. I find Yoshi to be better in that regard.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Shulk. Went into the game thinking Shulk is a perfect fit for me, but he turned out to be so bad I had to drop him.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I've never really had a "main" but there are characters I'd rather not use. The only character who I've stopped playing is Meta Knight, I liked him in Brawl, and I hate him in Smash 4. He was nerfed so hard.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Game and Watch has been nerfed pretty hard, so I stopped maining him. Pretty disheartening when I try my best with him but end up losing to mediocre players just because they're using someone vastly better like Greninja or Sonic.

For now I've been running with Dedede with some Dr Mario on the side. Nice to try out some heavy hitters again, though sometimes I'll break out Game and Watch if I feel the opponent is at a skill level I feel confident to use him at.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
It would be Zamus. I know she's been seriously buffed but I just don't care for the direction she's been taken in overall.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Link and Toon Link. They just aren't fun for me. Although, I do appreciate the changes they made to Link. Never really noticed much difference from Toon Link though.

D

Deleted member 269706

Ike is no longer my main...I mean, I love the guy and all, easily my favorite character, and I won't stop playing as him, but I can't main him anymore. His moves are just too slow and it feels like his attacks have an extremely low priority. On top of this, he's a bigger character, so it's easier to hit him. I've grown better with other character such as Rosalina, Link, and a few others, so I'm dropping Ike as my main...but he will always be my favorite.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Lately I have been playing less and less Sonic. He started as my main in this Smash but he is scaling down in favor of Dedede and Falco.
Also, I used to main Dr. Mario in Melee. And when I saw him here, I pondered for a moment, and said "Nah".

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
Planned on maining :4megaman: since I enjoyed him in the demo. Why did I stop? Frankly, I don't know. Just don't want to play as him anymore.

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
I played a lot of Pikachu in the demo, but for some reason after being given the option to play as the rest of the crew, I play him the least compared to characters like Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Charizard, etc.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I LOVED Diddy in Brawl. He seriously felt like he was made for me - I enjoyed his combination of mindgames and speed. However this time I have not been enjoying him that much. He's still fun to play, and I know he's good - but I haven't unlocked his potential yet and I am seriously bad with him. About 45% winrate bad. Embarrassing.

Since my Diddy For Glory experiences I've picked up Rosalina. I enjoy her playstyle comprised of mindgames and high-knockback moves. Not so much combo potential, but it's fun trying to pick your opponents playstyle down.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Shulk. Went into the game thinking Shulk is a perfect fit for me, but he turned out to be so bad I had to drop him.
Same, I was so pumped for him...he's like a worse Brawl Ike...I still play him but I've put time into other characters over him now.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Palutena/Rosalina. I played both of them and after a few hours of playtime they just did not fit into the style of play I enjoyed.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
I went in fully prepared to main Rosalina.
After playing for a couple weeks, I still don't know who to main. There are so many fun choices.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I used to main Pikachu but he feels so awkward in Smash 4.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Marth cuz Lucina, also my boy Ness being good this time around.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
My order actually went like this:

:4mario: (Game gets announced) ----> :4megaman:(Smash 3DS Demo) -----> :4shulk:(Second day of Smash 3DS) ----> :4marth:/:4lucina:(Current)

Mario's always been my main since 64 and, while I absolutely love his 4 incarnation, I don't feel connected to him as much anymore due to finally finding a preferred playstyle.

Mega Man was the one I enjoyed the most in the demo and was the first jump from Mario. I enjoy his unorthodox projectile game and look forward to maining him when the game fully came out.

Shulk took up that mantle instead, being as versatile as you can get with the Monado Arts. Sure he has a high learning curve compared to most but the payoff is definitely worth it.

Currently Marth/Lucina (the two are practically similar that I may as well include both) is my primary main. Originally they were secondaries in order to help learn Vanilla/Speed Shulk but I fell in love with their offensive spacing much more than the Monado Boy's defensive playstyle. At this point I'm certain my characters, at least for my "Mains" rotation, will be solid after testing out everyone if they happen to fit.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I don't play as Luigi or Game & Watch as much as I used to, but I will be trying to do that soon. I don't like abandoning characters :c

D

Deleted member

Little Mac. I really like how he plays and I like that he's even in Smash to begin with, but I'm just not good with him. I might give him another go when the Wii U version comes out, but I'm not sure.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Robin. I just couldn't find myself liking his style very much and I thought you'd have more control over whether or not you use the Levin Sword for attacks as well.

I'm sure he'll still be a very solid character, he's just not for me. Good thing Luigi is still there for me and I also like Mario and his Doc suit form.

Vade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vade
3DS FC
4296-3320-8652
I loved Marth in Melee and Falco in Melee and Brawl, but both of their play styles now seem too lackluster compared to their previous game counterparts. I'm having a hard time saying who I main in this game because it's too early to say I've fully explored all the characters play styles. I like Little Mac and Peach, but I'm still looking at exploring more characters.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
In Brawl, I really enjoyed using Diddy, but I just can't get a grasp for him in Smash 3DS. Same goes for Toon Link: my preference of Link swapped to regular Link this time around.

As far as new characters go, I started out liking Wii Fit Trainer, but I've since given up on her. Part of the problem is her B-Down is hard to get right in laggy online matches. I also really wanted to like Palutena and used her quite a bit at the beginning, but she just has no real advantages to me.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
At the beginning I thought I was going to main Dark Pit and Doctor Mario, alongside Robin, Lucina, and Shulk. However, I quickly figured out that Dark Pit and Doctor Mario, while characters who were enjoyable to play with, didn't have a connection like Robin, Lucina and Shulk did. Robin, Lucina and Shulk come from two of my favourite games of all time, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively and because of that connection with they're games and themselves as characters before even playing Smash Bros. 3DS, I was able to gravitate towards them more so than Dark Pit and Doctor Mario due to popularity, aesthetics, and the fact that I had such a deep connection with them long before I played them in the game or saw they're respective reveal trailers.

I've said this before in a previous thread, but my good friend on Smashboards, @Wintropy, once told me, "You don't pick your main, your main picks you." Those words ring true for me given thats's how Robin, Lucina and Shulk became my three mains, despite them probably not being super top tier characters or perhaps even competitive characters. They resonated with me LONG before they became my mains. They spoke to me and connected to me as characters, establishing themselves as permanent mains long before they were revealed as playable characters. The great part about all of this is that they have REALLY fun and enjoyable move sets, which makes them even more of a pleasure to play with. Robin, Lucina and Shulk will NEVER not be my mains, despite tier lists or competitive viability, or anything else for that matter. They are here to stay and I couldn't be more happier because of that.

:4robinm::4lucina::4shulk:<3

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Im still playing with much characters but i stoped with:4pacman: can't get the hang of him and that makes me sad Because i whould have loved to make him my main.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I used to play a lot of Luigi and Zelda in Brawl but I stopped maining them altogether and automatically switched over to Rosalina, who is so much fun to play as. Although I will still play as Zelda as one of my secondaries from time to time but I won't use Luigi at all since Rosalina will be the only Mario rep I'll ever play as.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
Toon Link, since Brawl. I used to use him all the time but I've been neglecting his use in Smash 4... Pretty much because I enjoy playing as other characters more.

During my time playing through the game, I can say the opposite happened to Shulk for me, contrary to a lot of other people's opinions here. I first saw him, thought he looked fun, played as him, felt very "Meh". Far far too much recovery on all of his moves.
...But, after a while, I got into his playstyle, figuring out the best approach methods, how to make attacks safe, and now I'm playing him a hellofalot, instead of starting For Glory matches with DHD I've been opting to play Shulk instead, simply because I've had more fun playing him.
I think another reason why I've been playing him more is because I think I have a gravitation towards characters people usually consider low on tier-lists, and Shulk is one of them. Playing low tiered characters and playing well with them looks cool, and it's always satisfying getting a win against characters far higher on said-lists. DHD, as underused as he is, is a really good character once you dedicate a few hours into him and it makes wins somewhat unsatisfying for that reason.

That being said, DHD is not a character I'm dropping, I just find Shulk more fun to play, at least as of recent.

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Megaman! I was SUUUUUPER hyped when he was revealed. Having played a lot of Megaman growing up, I was beyond excited to be able to play as him.

Now that I've got the chance to stretch my legs a bit with the roster, some of his tools leave much to be desired - Namely his down air for its insane startup, and his down-b since its seemingly useless. It doesn't last long enough to pose any serious threat of pressure, and its very predictable followup of a grab is easily evaded until the leaves are gone. The down-air just takes forever, I think I've only really ever connected with it once or twice. I'm also not a fan of his neutral air, forward tilt, and jab being regular buster shots.

On the plus side, I absolutely LOVE his u-tilt, and his down-tilt.

I still play him for fun with friends though~

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I was hyped for Rosie and I played her a ton the first week. Now I feel like the magic is gone, she is too floaty for my liking. I switched to ZSS and Robin.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I was digging Pac-Man and DHD when I first tried them out in solo play, but after realized that Pac-Man and I don't mesh too well in the For Glory environment I stopped using him as much. As for Duck Hunt... well I feel a bit like a omgnub when I use him online so I pretty much am only using him in solo/local play until I can develop less campy ways to play him.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I was digging Pac-Man and DHD when I first tried them out in solo play, but after realized that Pac-Man and I don't mesh too well in the For Glory environment I stopped using him as much. As for Duck Hunt... well I feel a bit like a omgnub when I use him online so I pretty much am only using him in solo/local play until I can develop less campy ways to play him.
Same reason I don't main :4bowserjr:. I feel like a troll spammer with Mechoopa

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Same reason I don't main :4bowserjr:. I feel like a troll spammer with Mechoopa
Oh him too! I did about one match with him before I realized that others used him in disgusting ways and abandoned getting better with him for now.

Snoop

Smash Rookie
MARTH I lament over Marth every day when I look at my 3DS. I loved playing Marth so much; he's really the reason I started to play more and more and become more competitive. I never liked playing anyone else because I loved learning all the small details about one character but they just crushed him in Brawl and made him virtually unusable for my playstyle in 3DS.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Going to go ALLLL the way back when the demo came out. I thought I was going to mian Pikachu because of his excellent combo game, but once I got the actual game on e-shop, I found better characters for me like Yoshi and surprisingly Jigglypuff. Only on small occasions do I use Pikachu again, but Yoshi is not only my new main, but high tier as well. Or at least has to be.

Top Bottom