• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a character you have stopped maining/playing?

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Oh him too! I did about one match with him before I realized that others used him in disgusting ways and abandoned getting better with him for now.
Just played my brother, he says :4bowserjr: is my best character and I am not spammy with him... I guess if I play him "Clean" it will be fine to main him... Mixed feelings...

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Ike is no longer my main...I mean, I love the guy and all, easily my favorite character, and I won't stop playing as him, but I can't main him anymore. His moves are just too slow and it feels like his attacks have an extremely low priority.
Wait, what? If anything, Ike's attack speed have improved, if only ever-so slightly for certain moves. I haven't seen anything about anything for him being slower than he was in Brawl.

Don't get me wrong, you can drop him if he doesn't fit your style anymore. But if you're finding his attacks "too slow" this time around...why on Earth did you main him in Brawl?

I have no word on his priority, so I can't speak for him there.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Robin. She looks nice and I adore her voice, but I can't bring myself to main a character originated from a game I don't like.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Just played my brother, he says :4bowserjr: is my best character and I am not spammy with him... I guess if I play him "Clean" it will be fine to main him... Mixed feelings...
That's my goal for both him and Duck Hunt. I want to develop them in different ways than the spammy nonsense that is easy with them, but the instinct to play them that way is really easy to give in to.

Props to you if you're doing something different.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
That's my goal for both him and Duck Hunt. I want to develop them in different ways than the spammy nonsense that is easy with them, but the instinct to play them that way is really easy to give in to.

Props to you if you're doing something different.
Thanks. The Cannonball isn't bad due to charge-up is you want an actually decent hit. I found that it doesn't feel spammy if you don't bring out a mechoopa every 5 seconds. I also suggest you try out his DAir, I love it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait, what? If anything, Ike's attack speed have improved, if only ever-so slightly for certain moves. I haven't seen anything about anything for him being slower than he was in Brawl.

Don't get me wrong, you can drop him if he doesn't fit your style anymore. But if you're finding his attacks "too slow" this time around...why on Earth did you main him in Brawl?

That's just it - Ike has barely changed from Brawl in terms of attack speed.

Other characters, however, have changed drastically. Mario, for example, is a LOT faster in this game.

Then Sonic is even faster, but now has the KO power he lacked in Brawl.

Ike is still good but he got the short end of the stick in terms of changes. They don't seem to have changed him for the worse, they just haven't really improved him, while a bunch of other characters are greatly improved. And then you have the newcomers to factor in.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I was really looking forward to Doc being back in this game; he was a lot of fun in Melee with his pills, combos, and great forward air. In this game, he just feels cumbersome and lacks a lot of what made him great in the first place so I use him rarely.

I was also planning on picking up Pit when I saw the changes to his moveset but for some reason I just don't use him.

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
Used to play Marth but I only occasionally do now, C. Falcon is just too much fun. I like Mario too.

SomeRandomDude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4656-8984-3076
When Robin was announced, I planned on making him a Main, and when I played the Demo, I just loved Megaman.
Both were quickly replaced by characters like Dark Pit, Cap Falcon and Zero Suit Samus-they just felt much better to play as.

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
At the beginning I thought I was going to main Dark Pit and Doctor Mario, alongside Robin, Lucina, and Shulk. However, I quickly figured out that Dark Pit and Doctor Mario, while characters who were enjoyable to play with, didn't have a connection like Robin, Lucina and Shulk did. Robin, Lucina and Shulk come from two of my favourite games of all time, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively and because of that connection with they're games and themselves as characters before even playing Smash Bros. 3DS, I was able to gravitate towards them more so than Dark Pit and Doctor Mario due to popularity, aesthetics, and the fact that I had such a deep connection with them long before I played them in the game or saw they're respective reveal trailers.

I've said this before in a previous thread, but my good friend on Smashboards, @Wintropy, once told me, "You don't pick your main, your main picks you." Those words ring true for me given thats's how Robin, Lucina and Shulk became my three mains, despite them probably not being super top tier characters or perhaps even competitive characters. They resonated with me LONG before they became my mains. They spoke to me and connected to me as characters, establishing themselves as permanent mains long before they were revealed as playable characters. The great part about all of this is that they have REALLY fun and enjoyable move sets, which makes them even more of a pleasure to play with. Robin, Lucina and Shulk will NEVER not be my mains, despite tier lists or competitive viability, or anything else for that matter. They are here to stay and I couldn't be more happier because of that.

:4robinm::4lucina::4shulk:<3
Hi there I'm agree with you in choosing mains characters.

gustypoint

Smash Rookie
NNID
gustypoint
Marth was my main but right now he is my #2 to Rosalina but i"m still trying out other characters

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
:diddy: and :gw: were my boys in brawl but ... not anymore. diddy's vertical recovery has been destroyed (although new opportunities have arisen). It keeps killing me because I think i can edge game. I can't.

G&W's hitboxes have been reduced to almost inside his body. :( It sucks, two of his best attacks are now so much harder to pull off, his fish bowl and his turtle.

:4yoshi: is now totally off the hook though... it feels great to be pulling in the wins game after game.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I sill play as all my mains, giving up mains is for the weak!!! I'm joking by the way.

InfiniteNumbers

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteNumbers
3DS FC
1693-2938-8132
I went into the game planning to main :4greninja:, but I found myself not playing him much at all. It's not even that I don't like him, I just don't play him for some reason...

D

Deleted member 269706

I never really took Brawl seriously, I mainly just played it with friends and such, and Ike was my first pick for a character, therefore, he was the closest thing I had to a main. With Sm4sh, I'm taking the game a lot more seriously, actually utilizing the online mode, and figuring out how to preform combos and such. In Brawl I hardly knew the difference between tilts and smash attacks if I'm being honest. Compared to Brawl, he has definitely improved, but he's still way too slow of a character for me to properly use. And a lot of my post was biased, so maybe his priority really isn't that low, but sometimes it feels like it to me. In the end though, Ike is no longer my main, mainly due to his lack of speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
Iggy used to be great, but I started neglecting him after a while. Bowser also moved from being my main to being my secondary.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I wanted to Main Plautena but I found her playstyle (awful jab, weird tilts) really uncomfortable and its hard for me to make KOs with her smash attacks despite their great range. I found Lucina way more enjoyable and Shulk too because the Monado Arts

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I used to main Olimar and Mr. Game & Watch back in Brawl, but they don't feel as good in this game as they did before.

Marth, interestingly enough, has become one of my secondaries again, after abandoning him in Brawl when transitioning from Melee.

As for newcomers, I was kind of interested in trying out Pac-Man, but after seeing him actually fight in-game made me think otherwise. There's just something about him that seems lifeless, which I think is because of the lack of any death cry after being KOed.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Falco, I loved him in Brawl but I'm not feeling him in Smash 4 at the moment. Maybe when the Wii U version releases things will change, but so far, I won't try you buddy.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Zelda. I mean I still use her but it's usually after I cycle through my mains of Rosalina, ROB, Pit, Dark Pit, and Megaman. I only reach Zelda if the person I'm fighting against stays long enough through the cycle.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I stopped maining Snake... because he was cut.

I have a certain dedication to my mains, I have not once dropped a main other than Snake, who I was by force rather than choice.
I still main my original three :4ness::4kirby::4falcon:
My Melee mains :4gaw::4link:
The Brawl mains that didn't get thrown out :4olimar::4dedede::4metaknight:
And I'll keep my newest mains for as long as they stay in Smash :4pacman::4duckhunt::4shulk::4robinf::4palutena:

Even with so many mains, it still feels lonely without Snake...:snake:

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I recently dropped Lucina and Marth because their range is so bad compared to Marth's in Melee. Dropped Robin just for Smash 3DS going to pick him back up in Smash Wii U cause I really need a c-stick for him. Also dropped Sheik just wasn't the character for me :p. Dropped Greninja too because the character also I wasn't really feeling it haha. Sticking with Dark Pit for life!

Last edited:

Fluffyeevee

Criminal among Criminals
NNID
Thefluffyeeveee
3DS FC
2423-4481-8726
I was originally going to main Kirby (because Snake was cut) but with the announcement of Lucina and Robin, I tried to main them in-game but now I find myself using more and more Ganondorf, someone I thought I'd never use.

Also tried to main Dr.Mario, second main from Melee, but it just didn't feel the same.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
I used to play as Wolf and Wario in Brawl, then I stopped using them for a while. The main one would have to be Captain Falcon and Ike. I've used Falcon in every Smash, but I just did not like how he was in Brawl, so I didn't use him in that one as much.

Ike was my main in Brawl and I used him so much. I just don't find myself using him a lot anymore in Smash 3DS though, it's weird.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Surprisingly I like every character I initially intended to main, even Ike who's one of the worst characters in the game is great fun to me. Then again, seeing that 4/5 of them were fixed in comparison to their Brawl counterparts I guess I could only be pleasantly surprised. I am getting more and more frustrated with Meta Knight being overnerfed though, so we'll see if it keeps up.

On another note I dropped Wario back in Brawl as I just couldn't find any fun in him for long, hence my now unfitting name.

Last edited:

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I still play with peach/zelda (favorites and only my well played characters) still use both of them to this day regardless of the nerf or buff changes. I did however, get to add Rosalina to my list of main characters. I have dropped using Kirby, Jiggs, and Dedede tho

Last edited:

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
I come to the game and plan to main Sonic since I am a big sonic fan. end up, I SD my self a lot.

Now I maining Shulk and only use Sonic as secondary

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I stopped using Greninja because he just wasn't clicking with me, despite liking him early on.

BlackSheep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChibiBlackSheep
3DS FC
4081-5611-8604
My top people were always: :4peach::4zelda::4kirby::4dk:

But I just don't know how I feel about Kirby in smash4. Seems like no matter what I do, he becomes a sitting duck.

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Yoshi was my main in Melee, and I absolutely hated him in Brawl, so I switched to Lucas. And Lucas isn't in Smash 4, but now Yoshi is great again, so I decided I'd main Shulk. >.> Yoshi is my secondary though. And Ness got a huge buff, so I'm looking to learn him eventually to replace Lucas as a secondary.

Really the only characters I just absolutely don't play any of compared to Melee are Marth and Peach. Loved both of them in Melee, but Marth gets worse and worse with every game, and Peach's lack of distance on that second jump and the amount of time it takes her to pull a turnip are preventing me from picking her back up in this game.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I have to say, since Melee I formed a connection with Game and Watch. Not just as a fighter, but something more. I just see him as so much fun to create stories about and play. He has a gloriously fun moveset and of all his incarnations, the Project: M one is by far the best. As this was the most recent Smash game I had been playing, my hopes for Game and Watch receiving further buffs (I mean, he was just plain bad in Melee compared to everyone else and was okay in Brawl but nothing fantastic) were high. However, ignoring bucket, the character has been slaughtered. I find it nigh on impossible to get a kill anymore as his smashes are only just as powerful as anyone elses, which really defeats the purpose of playing such a light character. I am really sad about this because, like I said, we have a huge connection throughout all the games.

On the plus side though, Pac man and I bonded instantly, I dont think I have done that with a character since first picking up Game and Watch in melee when I started playing properly.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Unfortunately I stopped playing Lucas...

The first week I mostly played :4pacman:, but now I have a really good feeling with :4palutena:, and sometimes :4jigglypuff:
I should try Ness and Sonic again as they seem great also!

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
I used to play Pikachu a lot in Melee, so much that I could've considered him one of my mains. After Brawl came out, I stopped using him as much. I don't know why..he's not bad, there was just more characters to play as :p

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Marth is just too sluggish now. Aside from him, I've pretty much stopped playing the demo characters since I'd seen enough of them. Link is an exception.

Kese

Smash Cadet
NNID
agentghost29
I was planning on maining sheik, diddy, and sonic in smash 4, but after trying sheik out, I wasn't really feeling it with her, so i tried out greninja, and for some reason its like he called out to me, and the fact that im a pokemon fan and he is by far my favorite gen 6 starter. Protean greninja ftw!!!

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
I used to main Melee Sheik, but after seeing what can be done with her, I've decided I'm just not good enough at the game to be good as the character. I'm just not fast enough to use such a quick character in a quick game. After playing a lot of Melee, as of late, I think I prefer Jiggilypuff, Zelda, and Yoshi (but I still play Sheik, just not nearly as much).

I kind of stopped playing Luigi in the switch from Brawl->Smash 4. I'll try to play him on the Wii U version, but, I just kind of forgot about him on the 3ds. I enjoyed playing as Ike, as well, but haven't been playing him either.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
Sonic. I used him tons in Brawl, and here and there in PM, but for some reason I don't have the drive to play him in this new one. Might be because I still miss Jason Griffith's voice. He got really good at Sonic by Unleashed and afterwards. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom