• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a character you have stopped maining/playing?

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
Regular Samus. I mostly played her in Brawl because whenever I got the Smash Ball I'd use the Zero Laser. Zero Suit Samus was my main in Brawl but that Power Suit Samus final smash sucked. I'd get to play her for like 18 more seconds before the match ended.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
When smash 3ds first came out, I assumed I'd only use Link, like with most smash games. But now that I'm playing it, I have a huge amount of other mains that I've been using instead.

D

Deleted member

Surprisingly considering dropping Wario. Not because he's bad or anything, but I'd just rather play other characters.

Regardie

Smash Rookie
I mained Greninja when I first got the game but stopped after I wasn't really happy with him. Then I went to Shiek, I really liked playing as her but I became bored with her. Now I main Pit and I am having a blast.

Wii Fit Trainer. Her short up aerials and running up smash feel like they never connect on a grounded opponent, her deep breathing doesn't last long enough to do anything useful, and I've never been a fan of those charge-and-save-for-later projectiles since it's a lot of fanfare for a move that can be so easily shrugged off.

It's a shame because I like the character and wanted to main her.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
At first I wanted to main Dr.Mario again, since he wasn't in Brawl. But I found him to slow and his recovery was too bad for me to continue playing him. Then I've played a lot of Little Mac, but his air game and his recovery stopped me like Dr.Mario. Then I tried Donkey Kong, but for some reason, I didn't really like playing him a lot. Maybe because he was too repetitive ? I don't know.

HammerZeit88

Smash Rookie
Tried maining Ike at the start. But it was obvious aftet an hout of play that it wasnt gonna happen. So now I am playing captain falcon and yoshi. Probably going to play peach alot as she was my melee main.

LckyAce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LckyAce
3DS FC
0533-4950-3798
Toon Link. I played him in Brawl and loved him and then played him in Smash 4 I still love him, but I guess I felt so good with him I simply got bored of him. So I tried out other character and noticed Im good with alot (Jigglypuff, Game and Watch, Mario/Dr.Mario, Ness (Rip Lucas :lucas:) and Greninja)

Last edited:

GrizzlyEatsKids

Smash Apprentice
NNID
foodonfloor
3DS FC
3351-4506-8996
I used to play Ike a ton in Brawl, but for some reason I just can't stand him anymore, probably because his moves are just way too slow.

Silencedota

Smash Rookie
Was originally intending to have :4mario: as one but after I got the full game I didn't favor him much anymore. My two favorites from melee I don't play really at all anymore :4fox::4marth:
Currently I'm playing :4ganondorf: and :4yoshi:, with a little bit of :4lucario:

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
I used to use Link during the demo and in the launch of the full game but over time my main started to be marth

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
After playing Fire Emblem Awakening from seeing Robin and Lucina's trailer, I initially wanted to main Robinsince he was so badass in the trailer and is among my personal favorites in Fire Emblem Awakening. I thought and stil think of him as one of the most unique characters and a better addition to the game than Lucina He was the 2nd character I used in the game after Greninja when I first started and he felt good in Training mode, but when playing against other people online I kinda got bodied and suddenly lost interest in him a little. He feels like he has a pretty high learning curve and is not beginner friendly at all, and I ended falling for Lucina instead, despite viewing her as a less exciting addition to the game, I kinda start to like the character a lot more now.

He's still great and I like to use him as a playabout character, but I don't think I wanna main him anymore. Mostly I already have a team of 4 characters right now, and I should not be playing anymore since it will take longer to get good at this game. I may main him at a later date though, its between mostly him, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My list of fighters that I have doubts with using much has been steadily growing. The big victims so far are...

:4megaman::4robinm::4greninja::4wiifit:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
:4zelda: she was my main back in melee, and then through the first few years of brawl until she was overtaken by :zerosuitsamus: (though i still played both).

now 4 is out and i still play :4zss: a ton, but even though :4zelda: feels very improved and more viable than ever before, i just don't play her like at all.

i'm also playing :4jigglypuff: a lot less. i just can't connect with bair and i don't care enough to work on playing her. her design is super adorable and she's a beast, i just... don't really play her.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Really wanted to main Rosalina as I adored that trailer and her theoretical playstyle potential. I still find her playstyle interesting, but luma management didn't click with me right away and I found other characters to be more rewarding. I might pick her back up once the dust has settled and I can actually figure out how to use her, but, with so much unknown about her, she's on the bench.

Silencedota

Smash Rookie
Was originally intending to have :4mario: as one but after I got the full game I didn't favor him much anymore. My two favorites from melee I don't play really at all anymore :4fox::4marth:
Currently I'm playing :4ganondorf: and :4yoshi:, with a little bit of :4lucario:
I finally got myself feeling comfortable with :4fox: :4marth: again, and threw in :4peach::4jigglypuff: because they're a lot of fun. :4yoshi:probably my best. Eggs be crazy yo.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I was super hype to play Palutena, but she turned out to not really match my style, or be very good in general. In the demo I loved Link and Villager, but I don't really play either of them any more.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
In the demo Mario was my go-to character, but when I got the full version I mained Ness and Pit. I'm still good with Mario, I just don't really play as him.

Spirst

:4charizard::4jigglypuff::4wario2: were characters I used shortly after release as those were characters I had also used in Brawl other than Snake. Ended up hating how Wario plays in this game and Charizard isn't as interesting to me with PT gone. Jigglypuff is alright, but I have much more fun using :4greninja: and :4duckhunt:.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
:4palutena:: My first main in the 3DS version. She was good...... until the constant problems with the 3DS version became apparent. I hate using tilts when I want to use smashes and with her tilts being laggy and kinda bad, I was turned off rather quickly.

:4lucario:: He's just cheap. I know people who would disagree and those people are entitled to their opinion. In my opinion, he's cheap and inconsistent.

:4sonic:: I really liked using him at first. I've only grown out of him is all. I just stopped liking to use him.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I loved Mario in Melee. He was sort of OK in Brawl, but now in Smash 4 he is far too nerfed for me to have him as main. He's been getting steadily weaker in every Smash iteration, so I've been forced to switch each time. I also use Toon Link occasionally since he was my Brawl main, but seems to lack KO ability this time around so I dont use him much. Now my favourite character is Shulk. While he was initially difficult to use, he's really grown on me.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Mine is kinda ironic.

I used to main Ness back in Melee, but he wasn't really that good and was also very hard to use correctly, so I started testing Marth and fell in love with his style, combos and that sexy ability to spike super easily.

Now, Marth feels too slugish for my tastes, his tilts and air attacks are just... I don't like em, so I stopped maining him for, guess who, that's right, NESS, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORE, this time around. Just like I abused Marth's Ken combo in Melee, now is down tilt > pk fire > down grab > sh into fair > double jump fair, all day every day. I still use Marth (mostly Lucina) a lot, he's not my number one anymore, so happy with Ness >_<

D

Deleted member

I originally planned to main Luigi, Pit, Shulk, and Robin... but things have changed.
:4pit: I tried to get used to his play style, but I just couldn't. He isn't as fun to play as like he is in Project M. I am also not a fan of the Power of Flight and Upperdash Arm.
:4darkpit: ...The same could be applied to Dark Pit. I briefly mained him since he was more powerful than Pit, which is something that appeals to me. He suffered through the same problems as Pit and I dropped him. (though, his power is the only reason why I considered him; I don't like Dark Pit in general)
:4robinm: I like Robin and I love his play style, but it is one that I can't get used to or rather the play style is limited by the 3DS. I might pick him back up again once the Wii U version comes out, but I am doubting it.
:4metaknight: I briefly mained Meta Knight. He is my second main in Brawl and I was pretty good as him. The reason why I dropped him was because his range nerfs really ticked me off.
:4bowserjr: I tried with him, but I can't get used to his zoning and such.

My current mains are Luigi, Shulk, and surprisingly Greninja (a character that I didn't intend to main).

Last edited by a moderator:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
When I first played Smash 64, I played just as Yoshi. I don't know if I would call him a main, since I was a little kid at the time, but I did play as him a lot, so you could probably say Yoshi was my first main. After a bit I quit with Yoshi and started to main Mario and got pretty good with him. But then later I unlocked Ness and started maining him. I've mained Ness ever since.

As far as I can recall, Yoshi and Mario are the only characters I stopped maining. I always added mains to my list as the games went on, adding Pikachu and Kirby in Melee, adding Ike in Brawl, and adding Robin and Villager (and Mii Swordfighter, if he counts) in 4. Maybe you could say I dropped Wolf, as I was thinking of making him a main so I played as him for a while, but I never really committed to him.

Since I prefer to main characters that I just take a personal liking to, I intend to keep playing as them regardless of how good or bad they are. I may drop one or two though, in the future, just because I might not feel like I can keep up with that many mains, but I may not.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I thought my four main characters in this game would be Jigglypuff, Ness, Mega Man, and Dr. Mario. I don't use Ness because PM spoiled me, Mega Man gets repetitive after a while, and I feel Dr. Mario would probably be better if I had a GCN controller.

I also used Donkey Kong for a while but I gave him up after my friends started using Sheik.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
Admittedly, Rosalina. People just complain about her so much it makes me feel bad to play as her.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
I played through the whole roster before picking my main, I've pretty much stuck to Lucina, although I can still play Shiek from my time playing her in every other game.

hyperglitter

Smash Rookie
Probably Duck Hunt. He was probably my #2 when I started but I just sort of fell off playing him. I think I stopped because he's best played as a campy style, and not as good when rushing down - not to mention some people seem to rank him as high as Rosalina in terms of annoyance. I'll definitely pick him back up again on the 21st to torture my friends though.

Top Bottom