• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Metroid series dead?

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
If any of the upcoming games are relegated to Other M.. Then I hope it's dead that game sucked! (It's okay if you liked it) they should make a 2D Metroid game for the 3DS, that would be awesome

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
In the end I will still say that Metroid is nowhere near death as it is still being played as an important franchise to Nintendo, especially that Samus and ZSS have now been split into two characters to make the Metroid reps upto 2. I think both of them are canon with fans preferring Prime over Other M due to many character development inconsistencies we are offered in Other M. In the end, a game after Fusion will be ideal. Would really help give the series a new jolt, especially if Samus discovers some new abilities of this new suit. After all she is the amalgamation of the Chozo's two greatest creations now :)

Neither are F-Zero or Star Fox (can't really say the latter, it is getting a new game after all), for the same reason as above.

There are other franchises that have become obscure and need revival. My favourite game Golden Sun comes to mind which needs to be revived ASAP.
Sakurai has always thought Samus and ZSS as separate reps.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sakurai has always thought Samus and ZSS as separate reps.
Yea but still, keeping them buffing them and separating them still means Metroid is VERY much relevant. We will be getting a new game within a year or 2 I am sure. Max by 2016!

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
If the Metroid series is dead, I'll eat my hat.

But seriously, the biggest break between games was 6 (or was it 8?) years, and it's only been 4 since The Other M. So, if in 2017 there's still not another game then be worried.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yea but still, keeping them buffing them and separating them still means Metroid is VERY much relevant. We will be getting a new game within a year or 2 I am sure. Max by 2016!
The rehaul and buffing was for SSB, not because Sakurai still thinks it's relevant. Relevancy has little to with what he does. If something new comes up, he'll incorporate it, but otherwise he just does what he wants. How would he know it's relevant? He didn't even hear about the Circle Pad Pro soon enough for Kid Icarus to implement properly.

Kamo.

Smash Apprentice
I've heard multiple places that Nintendo chose to make Metroid: Other M canon over the Prime series, as there were things in each of the games that didn't match. Is that true?
OM is indeed cannon over Prime because of one line. Something like "I've encountered [Ridley] three times before."
The problem here is that Other M contradicts every Metroid game (Not just the Primes) to the point where no Metroid game can exist if Other M is canon except for maybe Zero Mission and Metroid 2. Because of this, I don't think you can use content and quotes from Other M to determine if any Metroid game is canon because Sakamoto probably didn't pay enough attention to the rest of the Metroid universe when writing Other M.

If the Primes specifically aren't canon, then the only way to know for sure is if Nintendo or Sakamoto say it themselves which I'm pretty sure neither of them have. In fact, I think Sakamoto actually says that the Primes are canon through the following quote.

Nearly everybody has asked about the Prime series, which are part of the Metroid timeline, but are completely different.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/translation/23982/yoshio-sakamoto-interview

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The problem here is that Other M contradicts every Metroid game (Not just the Primes) to the point where no Metroid game can exist if Other M is canon except for maybe Zero Mission and Metroid 2. Because of this, I don't think you can use content and quotes from Other M to determine if any Metroid game is canon because Sakamoto probably didn't pay enough attention to the rest of the Metroid universe when writing Other M.

If the Primes specifically aren't canon, then the only way to know for sure is if Nintendo or Sakamoto say it themselves which I'm pretty sure neither of them have. In fact, I think Sakamoto actually says that the Primes are canon through the following quote.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/translation/23982/yoshio-sakamoto-interview
What contradicts Super and Fusion? And Sakamoto backpedalling on the Primes cannon-ness means nothing, it's clear he doesn't like the games.

Kamo.

Smash Apprentice
What contradicts Super and Fusion? And Sakamoto backpedalling on the Primes cannon-ness means nothing, it's clear he doesn't like the games.
I suspect he doesn't like them as well considering he often says he had very little to nothing to do with the Prime games (Which is true, I think he just pushes at the fact a little too hard sometimes) and tries to separate his work from Retro's with statements hes made in interviews. However, I've still never come across a source where he says the Primes never happened in the main Metroid timeline, so I don't know what he has to backpedal on.

As for Super and Fusion, at one point in Other M Samus explains that without the control of Mother Brain, the Space Pirates are a bunch of dumb, feral animals that can't function intelligently (Samus obviously words it differently, but that's pretty much what it comes down to). If this is true then how are the Space Pirates able to rebuild Mother Brain for Super Metroid after she's destroyed by Samus in Metroid 1/Zero Mission? If we consider what Other M says about the Space Pirates as canon then Mother Brain is never rebuilt and Super Metroid never happens which actually means that Other M can't happen either.

Fusion is screwed because of how the Power Suit functions in Other M. It's powered by Samus' mind (Emotions, willpower, something like that) and this is shown in at least 2 scenes; the Ridley scene and in Sector Zero when Adam ends up killing himself. In the Ridley scene, the Power Suit starts to remove itself once Ridley grabs hold of Samus and then completely disappears once Rildey drops her. In Sector Zero the suit starts to "flicker" on and off when Samus is stumbling after Adam before he enters Sector Zero and later dies. In both of these scenes Samus is totally out of focus and overcome with emotions which is why the Power Suit shuts down. This messes with Fusion because in the beginning of the game Samus loses consciousness when an X parasite enters her body which somehow leads to her suit needing to be surgically removed. Again, if we take what Other M says as canon then the Power Suit should have shut down and removed itself when Samus went unconscious which means her suit doesn't have to be surgically removed. Now if I'm remembering correctly, the X parasites got aboard the BSL station through Samus' infected suit pieces that were removed during the surgery and kept on the station, but if the surgery never takes place then the X parasites don't get on the BSL and Fusion never happens.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if I'm explaining the whole Fusion part right, but whatever, these contradictions were pointed out to me a while ago by other fans of the series.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I suspect he doesn't like them as well considering he often says he had very little to nothing to do with the Prime games (Which is true, I think he just pushes at the fact a little too hard sometimes) and tries to separate his work from Retro's with statements hes made in interviews. However, I've still never come across a source where he says the Primes never happened in the main Metroid timeline, so I don't know what he has to backpedal on.

As for Super and Fusion, at one point in Other M Samus explains that without the control of Mother Brain, the Space Pirates are a bunch of dumb, feral animals that can't function intelligently (Samus obviously words it differently, but that's pretty much what it comes down to). If this is true then how are the Space Pirates able to rebuild Mother Brain for Super Metroid after she's destroyed by Samus in Metroid 1/Zero Mission? If we consider what Other M says about the Space Pirates as canon then Mother Brain is never rebuilt and Super Metroid never happens which actually means that Other M can't happen either.

Fusion is screwed because of how the Power Suit functions in Other M. It's powered by Samus' mind (Emotions, willpower, something like that) and this is shown in at least 2 scenes; the Ridley scene and in Sector Zero when Adam ends up killing himself. In the Ridley scene, the Power Suit starts to remove itself once Ridley grabs hold of Samus and then completely disappears once Rildey drops her. In Sector Zero the suit starts to "flicker" on and off when Samus is stumbling after Adam before he enters Sector Zero and later dies. In both of these scenes Samus is totally out of focus and overcome with emotions which is why the Power Suit shuts down. This messes with Fusion because in the beginning of the game Samus loses consciousness when an X parasite enters her body which somehow leads to her suit needing to be surgically removed. Again, if we take what Other M says as canon then the Power Suit should have shut down and removed itself when Samus went unconscious which means her suit doesn't have to be surgically removed. Now if I'm remembering correctly, the X parasites got aboard the BSL station through Samus' infected suit pieces that were removed during the surgery and kept on the station, but if the surgery never takes place then the X parasites don't get on the BSL and Fusion never happens.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if I'm explaining the whole Fusion part right, but whatever, these contradictions were pointed out to me a while ago by other fans of the series.
Well actually the suit didn't remove itself as the X parasite was the one responsible for it staying fused. It directly infected her nervous system and made the suit stay fused to her body due to which parts of the suit were surgically removed and she was born with a weaker but more pliable suit than the power suit.

Well yea, Other M really challenges a lot of the other happenings in the storyline, not just Prime. The suit phasing in and out of her willpower is cool but a bit of a loose concept since it conflicts with the other games. Plus there is the Ridley dialogue as well as the Space pirate dialogue you mentioned. Space Pirates are seen to be intelligent beings in Prime and are implied to be such in the other Metroid games as well.

Nintendo really dropped the ball in trying to give Samus a storyline. They are really not good at building a timeline business and often staying consistent. Look at the convoluted Zelda timeline. Even Golden Sun was not spared as The Lost Age introduced plot holes and Dark Dawn introduced even more instead of patching up some of the plot threads of the 2nd Golden Sun game!

I still look forward to Fusion getting a sequel since technically its a main Metroid game as Metroid 4 in Metroidvania style! Would love to get a Metroid on the 3DS!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

When I was talking about backpedaling, I was thinking about how he went from "It's not cannon!" to "It's kinda cannon..."

I always assumed that Mother Brain survived instead of being rebuilt, even before OM. Not sure if there's word of god on this, but yaknow. And I remember the being something like "Smart Pirates beat stupid ones, and Mother Brain usurped Ridley/Pirate Lord," but I'm kinda hazy on that.

I, again, always assumed that the suit being connected to her emotions thing was really just to be cinematic, and the "suit has to be surgically removed" bit fit rather conveniently with it. Would they of had to be so specific if the X parasite wasn't holding it on?

Kamo.

Smash Apprentice
Well actually the suit didn't remove itself as the X parasite was the one responsible for it staying fused. It directly infected her nervous system and made the suit stay fused to her body due to which parts of the suit were surgically removed and she was born with a weaker but more pliable suit than the power suit.

Well yea, Other M really challenges a lot of the other happenings in the storyline, not just Prime. The suit phasing in and out of her willpower is cool but a bit of a loose concept since it conflicts with the other games. Plus there is the Ridley dialogue as well as the Space pirate dialogue you mentioned. Space Pirates are seen to be intelligent beings in Prime and are implied to be such in the other Metroid games as well.

Nintendo really dropped the ball in trying to give Samus a storyline. They are really not good at building a timeline business and often staying consistent. Look at the convoluted Zelda timeline. Even Golden Sun was not spared as The Lost Age introduced plot holes and Dark Dawn introduced even more instead of patching up some of the plot threads of the 2nd Golden Sun game!

I still look forward to Fusion getting a sequel since technically its a main Metroid game as Metroid 4 in Metroidvania style! Would love to get a Metroid on the 3DS!
I'm not saying the suit removed itself in Fusion, I'm saying that it would have removed itself if Fusion used Other M's logic of the Power Suit being fueled by Samus's willpower. Samus obviously doesn't have willpower if she's unconscious, so I'm thinking the suit would just disappear as soon as the X parasite renders her unconscious. Again, this is only if Fusion were to use Other M's logic, otherwise the suit stays on when she becomes unconscious and surgery is needed to remove the infected parts. Apologies if my wording is causing confusion.

Honestly, I just don't like the whole willpower fuels the suit concept because it sounds like it has nothing but drawbacks. Why would the Chozo of all beings design a suit that can potentially shut down due to the user losing focus? You're only adding a weakness.

When I was talking about backpedaling, I was thinking about how he went from "It's not cannon!" to "It's kinda cannon..."

I always assumed that Mother Brain survived instead of being rebuilt, even before OM. Not sure if there's word of god on this, but yaknow. And I remember the being something like "Smart Pirates beat stupid ones, and Mother Brain usurped Ridley/Pirate Lord," but I'm kinda hazy on that.

I, again, always assumed that the suit being connected to her emotions thing was really just to be cinematic, and the "suit has to be surgically removed" bit fit rather conveniently with it. Would they of had to be so specific if the X parasite wasn't holding it on?
Whether or not Mother Brain survived Metroid 1 is just left up to speculation I guess since neither Metroid 1 or Zero Mission specifies it. It also doesn't help that 2D Metroid isn't graphic when an enemy is defeated, they usually just explode and that's it. However, I feel like most people would assume that Mother Brain was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt somehow.

I'm not sure how the suit being fueled by her will fits with the "suit needs to be surgically removed" part because to me it sounds like they collide with each other or maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Whether or not Mother Brain survived Metroid 1 is just left up to speculation I guess since neither Metroid 1 or Zero Mission specifies it. It also doesn't help that 2D Metroid isn't graphic when an enemy is defeated, they usually just explode and that's it. However, I feel like most people would assume that Mother Brain was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt somehow.

I'm not sure how the suit being fueled by her will fits with the "suit needs to be surgically removed" part because to me it sounds like they collide with each other or maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.
Kraid and Ridley survived the first game and came back in Super without any explanation at all. Mother Brain could easily do the same. Going straight from 1, to 2, to Super, it could go either way.

It's implied the X are interfering with the suit anyway, so I don't see why it conflicts with OM based on what's said.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Kraid and Ridley survived the first game and came back in Super without any explanation at all. Mother Brain could easily do the same. Going straight from 1, to 2, to Super, it could go either way.

It's implied the X are interfering with the suit anyway, so I don't see why it conflicts with OM based on what's said.
Didn't Nintendo say that Ridley was revived by Space Pirates as Meta Ridley before Metroid II?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Even if it's likely not arriving until the NX, the reminder that the series hasn't perished with Federation Force is noteworthy, for as much as people currently hate it.

And the story for Prime 4 seems to have its base skeleton with the statement by Kensuke Tanabe about Corruption's cliffhanger.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
No, it's not dead. I don't know why people are jumping to conclusion. People said this prior to Metroid Prime. The handheld 3DS game does look fun, although it's not the game I wanted... I will get it. There are rumors of the next Metroid Prime (Or home Metroid game) being a launch title for NX, but who knows. I have great confidence this series is going to be around.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Metroid is supposed to be a legacy Nintendo property alongside Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Star Fox, but lately, it feels like Nintendo is not treating the franchise like that at all. Younger Nintendo fans are more familiar with Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade whilst Metroid is falling to obscurity.

Top Bottom