• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Metroid series dead?

D

Deleted member

I'm seriously thinking about it since yesterday's Nintendo Direct.

Except Samus' appearance in SSB4, it is been now over 3 years we haven't seen any concrete announcement regarding the franchise.

I begin to believe the Metroid series will have the same treatment than Mega Man's, that we won't have any new Triple A entry to the series and only cameos/ports for 3DS/Wii U consoles.

Nintendo didn't make any mention to the Metroid's 25th Anniversary in 2011.
And besides, the Original Metroid isn't even included in the NES Remix game...

As a huge Metroid fan, I hope I'll be wrong and we'll see a new trailer, but I begin to have less and less hope...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Mind you that the series was inactive for eight years following Super Metroid. They're likely either figuring the direction to take the series in next after Other M or they may very well be working on another Metroid game as we speak. I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

What Kuma said. They're probably just trying to figure out what to do with the series after Other M.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
During VGX, when asked about a new Metroid, Reggie started to say "Of course", but quickly cut himself off and replied with "Well, who's to say?"

And Kid Icarus was inactive for 21 years, and then we got Uprising. :chuckle: I wouldn't worry about it.

D

Deleted member

In fact, what I mean is it's kind of a shame Nintendo underuses a franchise as iconic as Metroid nowadays.

Heck, Post-SOTN Castlevania games and 4/5 of the Indie games like Cave Story and Shantae are inspired by Metroid's specific gameplay.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
My friend told me (ie I don't know if it's true or if it comes from a reliable source) that with the Wii U, they'll be fusing the Metroid series and Star Fox series into one, so that the name game will have both Samus and Fox in it (and presumably other things both each series as well). Can anyone confirm that this is true?

I don't imagine it is, and I really hope it's not. It'd be a terrible decision. But yeah, I feel fairly disappointed with the lack of info on a new Metroid game, I love the series. I seem to be one of the few people that enjoyed Other M but I would definitely prefer it if they reverted back to the Prime style (wouldn't we all). Or even somehow releasing a pure platformer (ie not trying to make it a hybrid between the platformer and 3D style like they did with Other M, but rather making it a pure platformer like Super Metroid/Fusion/Zero Mission/first 2 games/) would be a good decision too, though I think at this point their best option is to release a Prime-style version for the Wii U and then a pure platformer for the 3DS, in the same way that the LoZ series is seeing not only a new game and a remake of Wind Waker on the Wii U, but also a v2.0 of a classic (Link To The Past) on the 3DS as well.

Just my 2 cents I guess.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Although it may seem like a long time, 3 years isn't that bad for Nintendo games. For example, there was 8 years between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, 5 years between Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, 5 years between Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures, and 11 years between Earthbound and Mother 3, just to name a few.

D

Deleted member

Although it may seem like a long time, 3 years isn't that bad for Nintendo games. For example, there was 8 years between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, 5 years between Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, 5 years between Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures, and 11 years between Earthbound and Mother 3, just to name a few.
Thank you for warming my heart.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You're welcome. Hell, even Mario had a bit of a hiatus when it came to major platforming games. It was 6 years between Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 and another 6 between it and Super Mario Sunshine. I'd personally say that breaks of 5 to 6 years between major games are typical for most Nintendo franchises aside from Mario and Kirby, with Mario now being yearly and Kirby being every other year.

etecoon

Smash Hero
In fact, what I mean is it's kind of a shame Nintendo underuses a franchise as iconic as Metroid nowadays.

Heck, Post-SOTN Castlevania games and 4/5 of the Indie games like Cave Story and Shantae are inspired by Metroid's specific gameplay.

I think the problem for Nintendo is that in spite of Metroid having a really devoted following and being very influential to other games, it doesn't actually sell as well as you'd think it would. For instance I've been told that DKCR outsold the entire Metroid Prime trilogy. DKCR is a fine game, but it's no Metroid Prime, Metroid is bound to be neglected for long periods of time as long as Nintendo's own fanbase undervalues it as much as they do

D

Deleted member

I think the problem for Nintendo is that in spite of Metroid having a really devoted following and being very influential to other games, it doesn't actually sell as well as you'd think it would. For instance I've been told that DKCR outsold the entire Metroid Prime trilogy. DKCR is a fine game, but it's no Metroid Prime, Metroid is bound to be neglected for long periods of time as long as Nintendo's own fanbase undervalues it as much as they do
I honestly think Metroid could sell better if Nintendo does much more promotion for it, just like with Zelda.

The next AAA installment should change some traditionnal Metroid rules in order to be the next mainstream game after Metroid Prime 1 and to persuade Nintendo to make new games more regularly.

I also remember that before Metroid Prime 1's development, Retro was subdivised in several teams, each developing a new game for the GameCube.

And I think Retro should be divided again.
Was thinking about a team mainly in charge of Metroid, another mainly in charge of Donkey Kong Country, and another in charge of co-developing with other studios.

I would LOVE to see a new Metroid game from a cooperation between Retro and WayForward by the way.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Metroid's more popular overseas than it is in its home country. I personally think Nintendo just doesn't know what to do with the Metroid Franchise right now, which is why they had to get Retro Studios for the Prime series, and Other M sucked.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Didn't Metroid Fusion release between Super and Prime?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It hasn't been that long since the last Metroid game actually. Much like with Mega Man, I completely understand that people want a new game in the series. I do too. But a little bit of patience shouldn't kill you. That said, I can see a new game that's 2-D with 3-D graphics going on the 3DS for both Metroid, and eventually Mega Man. Much like Zelda a Link Between Worlds did with the 2-D Zelda games. And the 3-D Metroid games will be on the Wii U.

This isn't exactly like the N64 quite yet you know. A Metriod game might be in development as we speak. Or at least when Retro gets Donkey Kong off of their plate for the time being. If fans managed to wait it out after 8 years of nothing following Super Metroid, they can wait a bit in a consoles life span.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Man dont worry about it. All I gotta say is at least it's not getting the Star Fox and F-Zero treatment especially F-Zero.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, F-Zero would look really good in Hi-Definition. I get that it's no Mario Kart. But I wonder why Nintendo completely dropped the series. It fills a niche that no other series out now has, we've got no futuristic racing games to play this gen. So why not? Who knows, maybe they are working on one.

etecoon

Smash Hero
It hasn't been that long since the last Metroid game actually.
I think Other M being such a train wreck makes people nervous, especially given Nintendo's overall direction these days(elaborated in next response). I don't think anyone is expecting a trailer or pics or anything any time soon, but some kind of "yeah we have plans to make more metroid this gen" would make a lot of metroid fans feel better

Man, F-Zero would look really good in Hi-Definition. I get that it's no Mario Kart. But I wonder why Nintendo completely dropped the series. It fills a niche that no other series out now has, we've got no futuristic racing games to play this gen. So why not? Who knows, maybe they are working on one.
The "why not?" is that it doesn't sell 5 million copies automatically with minimal advertising like anything that has the Mario name on it does. Nintendo is all about the grand slam, fringe franchises with cult followings aren't likely to be given the same priority anymore.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Other M being such a train wreck makes people nervous, especially given Nintendo's overall direction these days(elaborated in next response). I don't think anyone is expecting a trailer or pics or anything any time soon, but some kind of "yeah we have plans to make more metroid this gen" would make a lot of metroid fans feel better

The "why not?" is that it doesn't sell 5 million copies automatically with minimal advertising like anything that has the Mario name on it does. Nintendo is all about the grand slam, fringe franchises with cult followings aren't likely to be given the same priority anymore.

On Other M, I understand that sentiment. Maybe after Other M's reception, it would make sense that Miyamoto sees Retro as the best fit for the Metroid series. But really, most people have a problem with the way Samus was written by that Sakamoto guy, so keep him away from her character. And that the exploration needs to be one of the top priorities again, not storytelling.

As for F-Zero, like I said I understand that's no Mario Kart. But you would think that one of Nintendo's smaller divisions could still give the series some attention. Oh well, at least I have some hope for Star Fox. That series isn't completely forgotten. Maybe Nintendo should let Platinum do a Star Fox game, I heard Hideki Kamiya wanted to do one not that long ago.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
No the metroid series isn't dead. Retro has the series on their minds despite making a DK game, its not gonna be forgotten like F-zero. (its a shame that there isn't any motivation for making another F-zero game, but it is what it is.)

You guys should be more worried about starfox than metroid. I'm really worried its gonna get F-zero'd.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'd actually be okay with Ninja team doing another Metroid title. The worst part of other M was its poorly written story, and last I checked that had nothing to do with Ninja team.

Other M's gameplay was actually very good, and the controls were nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be in my experience. I found the combat and boss battles to be pretty fun. The only two issues were those stupid pixel hunts and the item placement (as a huge percentage could not be found until near the end of the game as I recall).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I honestly think Metroid could sell better if Nintendo does much more promotion for it, just like with Zelda.
The thing is that even with plenty of advertising, sometimes the fish simply don't bite. Advertising can only influence the market so much into buying a product.

I personally like that Metroid is a semi-cult series. It gives it a distinct air among the bigger Nintendo series.

Now if Nintendo could just find something proper to do with Starfox and F-Zero. The former has a lot of potential as a space opera with lots of character development. The latter has the potential to be the competitive alternative to Mario Kart. I think hitting it up on the toukusatsu potential left by Capt. Falcon in Smash Bros. could help greatly.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'd actually be okay with Ninja team doing another Metroid title. The worst part of other M was its poorly written story, and last I checked that had nothing to do with Ninja team.

Other M's gameplay was actually very good, and the controls were nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be in my experience. I found the combat and boss battles to be pretty fun. The only two issues were those stupid pixel hunts and the item placement (as a huge percentage could not be found until near the end of the game as I recall).
I can agree with this, remove Sakamoto as producer/storywriter and give team ninja another shot at it. I don't like the controls either but I view that as conceptual(nintendo's problem) more than execution, the game shouldn't have been wii remote only IMO

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As long as Team Ninja stays the **** away from Metroid everything will be okay.

Eh, was Other M's gameplay really that bad? Other than standing still when using missiles that is. Because who ever came up with that idea was dumb. And Team Ninja didn't touch the story as far as I know.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Personally, I'm of the few who enjoyed Other M. I mean, yeah, the story's direction was cheesy and very cliché (though it borrowed elements from the now cliché Alien movie series since the first Metroid), but what it did do was give us a bit more detail into who this Adam was, his relationship with Samus (though Fusion does explain this decently enough anyway), and also sets the stage for Fusion, having explain what Nightmare was, and how Ridley was able to return despite being blown to hell on a now non-existent Zebes. Just those small details on top of some pretty fun boss fights help to make up for the lackluster writing, in my opinion.

That said, as for the Metroid series, given that it's one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, I'm pretty sure we'll see a Wii U Metroid title. It'd be a waste for Nintendo not to take advantage of the HD aspect of the console for what could be a Metroid game that looks far more impressive than any Prime game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, was Other M's gameplay really that bad? Other than standing still when using missiles that is. Because who ever came up with that idea was dumb. And Team Ninja didn't touch the story as far as I know.

Other M wasn't even a Metroid game. It was a mediocre beat-em-up masquerading as a throwback to the 2D games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Other M wasn't even a Metroid game. It was a mediocre beat-em-up masquerading as a throwback to the 2D games.
Personally, I'm of the few who enjoyed Other M. I mean, yeah, the story's direction was cheesy and very cliché (though it borrowed elements from the now cliché Alien movie series since the first Metroid), but what it did do was give us a bit more detail into who this Adam was, his relationship with Samus (though Fusion does explain this decently enough anyway), and also sets the stage for Fusion, having explain what Nightmare was, and how Ridley was able to return despite being blown to hell on a now non-existent Zebes. Just those small details on top of some pretty fun boss fights help to make up for the lackluster writing, in my opinion.

That said, as for the Metroid series, given that it's one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, I'm pretty sure we'll see a Wii U Metroid title. It'd be a waste for Nintendo not to take advantage of the HD aspect of the console for what could be a Metroid game that looks far more impressive than any Prime game.
Well, Ridley was in Fusion, and Fusion is the last in the series.

They kind of had to explain how he could have been in fusion. Even if dead

Spire

III
BRoomer
Nintendo knows a lot of people care about Metroid. It's not dead. They're reassessing what to do after the Other M disaster. Metroid has a ton of potential and despite being as old as The Legend of Zelda, has yet to hit its "Ocarina of Time" zenith. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime neared the level of success, rationally, but it's not there yet. Other M attempted to revolutionize the series with multiple forms of gameplay, but the storytelling and general progression tarnished the game.

2.5D Metroid Nintendo. Don't know why you're holding back on what needs to be done. Give Metroid the A Link Between Worlds treatment and you're golden.

D

Deleted member

http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...to-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/#disqus_thread

"It’s an honor that people consider the game to be a success. When we make a game we often start by thinking of the basic system and letting that in turn determine a suitable setting. If there’s something fitting for the basic Star Fox and Metroid formula then I think we’ll be able to develop something. On this title, if we hadn’t come up with the idea of going into the walls at the beginning and instead thought of something new which had the player curling up into a ball, we might have ended up with Metroid, not Zelda."

Seems to be good news.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
its actually a shame :/ it was such a good series and now its practically gone... a Wii U game would be fantastic with the graphics though :/

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At worst, Other M is a setback for the series, but it's not the end of the world.

If we should be concerned about any series, it's Starfox and especially F-Zero.

finalark

SNORLAX
At worst, Other M is a setback for the series, but it's not the end of the world.

If we should be concerned about any series, it's Starfox and especially F-Zero.
The only reason why I'm even remotely worried about Metroid is that I've seen long-running video game franchises be brought to a grinding halt by one bad game (Alone in the Dark, anyone?). That being said, I'm sure we'll see more of Samus in the future. Especially since in the 00s the success of Prime made her a Nintendo staple alongside Link and Mario. Between 02-10, Nintendo put out two Metroid games on every single console that was current during those years (Prime 1 and 2 for GCN, Zero Mission and Fusion for GBA, Pinball and Hunters for DS, Prime 3 and Other M for Wii). Personally, I think that right now Nintendo is trying to figure out exactly what the hell they're supposed to do with the series, since Other M got mixed reactions as best.

As you said, it's poor F-Zero and Star Fox we should be worried about.

Top Bottom