• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Taunting ok in a competetive sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatEpicMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThatEpicMudkip
3DS FC
4124-5091-3596
I'm a fairly casual player right now, but if I ever want to go to a tournament of any sort, is it respectful to taunt after KOing someone? I do it against computers, and whenever I do it to my friends they seem ok with it, as well as online play. I'm just wondering if it's respectful to use a taunt after getting a KO.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Taunting in Smash is similar to a "Come at me, bro" attitude. It's a strong act of confidence and to hype up the crowd.

So in that sense, no it isn't "respectful", but no one is going to toss you out a tournament for doing so. Personally, I only taunt when I land a marvelous KO and have a considerable lead.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Taunting is a mind game tool, and yea, it is disrespectful, which is why it works.

General rule of thumb, only use it when you do something really cool. Say you're getting your butt handed to you and you stage an awesome comeback to take the lead-taunt. You pull off a cool combo-taunt. Things like that, nobody minds a taunt.

If you really want to use the taunt to its highest degree, do it when you do something reasonably impressive, but don't get the kill. For instance, whenever I'm sonic, and my opponent's trying to juggle me, if I successfully avoid they attack and land the back air, when I land I throw a "Come on!" (down taunt, rip "you're too show") just to get under their skin. It drives them insane because they see it and want to punish, but back air launches them just far enough that they can't.

Times to not taunt though:

When you just crush someone. You won, don't rub it in too much.

After your opponent makes a mistake. ThIs just shows your an ass.

After a gimp. Unless it's part of a comeback, taunting is very unnecessary. You already got under their skin by gimping them, and taunting takes it too far. You want to display confidence, not make people hate you.

At the beginning. Doing this is just stupid as it gives them an opening, but most people are too chivalrous to take it. It also lets characters charge attacks, so in general taunting is a bad idea at the beginning, unless they do it first-time then it's ok

After you die. This is similar to the last one, but less dangerous. It displays over confidence and makes people turn against you as you've done absolutely nothing to earn that taunt.

After roll/projectile spamming. In general, don't roll/projectile spam at all, and you'll be fine.

And there's probably more, but you should get the idea

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Taunting is, tbqh, pretty tacky.

With a few character-specific exceptions, taunting is almost exclusively done by inexperienced players.

Taunting is really only done for comedic purposes. No one would actually think a high-level player is clever or cute for hitting the d-pad after a kill.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
In person, I don't tend to taunt except for very rare occasions.

One such occasion is at a shield break. Take a moment to please the crowd before unleashing your best attack.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Protip: the sum of taunts available to you when playing "with anyone" modes is equal to (2+n) where n represents your KO total.

If you are playing For Glory 1v1s, this means you can only taunt a total of 4 times since you can only KO your opponent twice.
However, in a FFA, you can actually taunt incessantly in the last 5-10 seconds if you score enough KOs and save up the taunt allowance. For best results, pick a taunt that loops well, like G&W's down taunt.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Unless something extraordinary happens, I say this to someone who taunts in a local match: "B*tch why u be tauntin' like you're gonna win?".

I admit though I did taunt once at a local weekly I played in recently on stream after scoring a KO, but it was just my way of warming up the viewers on stream and to enlighten myself a little bit.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
It is also proper etiquette to mirror opening taunts online. It is like a handshake or bow before the match. If your opposing Ness/Falcon opens with Okay/ShowMeYourMoves, to not mirror the gesture would be dishonorable.

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Perfect Pivot Luigi Taunt onto a hanging opponent

Instant fame

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I think it's fine. I have a habit of using Lucario's up taunt after an epic kill... It's more to hype me up than the crowd. It's meant to be a release rather than to mock the opponent. Some other sports do similar things with yelling. It's not meant to disrespect the opponent, but things get tense, and pulling off a beautiful combo warrants the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom