• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Taunting a Sign of Disrespect?

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
I was wondering whether or not taunting should be considered disrespectful, and wanted to hear your thoughts. In the grand scheme of things, it is just a game, but respecting each other's skill is a quality that shows maturity, and should be shown in all players.

Sometimes however you might taunt to show respect for other players. An example would be being spiked in an epic fashion, then taunting to show how awesome it was. What do you think?

birdy21

Smash Cadet
If taunting was a sign of disrespect nintendo would have never included it in the game. You taunt the characters not the person.

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
Even if it is, I don't necessarily think it should be frowned upon.

It's kinda like celebrating a touchdown in football. Sure it might be disrespectful, but if you don't want someone celebrating, don't let them score. If someone kills you and then taunts, don't look at that like "look how disrespectful this guy is", view it as "Ha, so you think you're *that* good huh? Let's see if you are..."

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Damn right it's disrespect, if people got a reason to taunt you this late in Melee's game then you probably got wrecked hard. :denzel:

On a more serious note though, taunting is meant to be a taunt, accept the word as it is. If someone cries over being taunted in smash bros then maybe they should reconsider the type of community they want to be in.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Damn right it's disrespect, if people got a reason to taunt you this late in Melee's game then you probably got wrecked hard. :denzel:

On a more serious note though, taunting is meant to be a taunt, accept the word as it is. If someone cries over being taunted in smash bros then maybe they should reconsider the type of community they want to be in.
That is true, however I guess it really depends on the taunt. An example would be on wifi P:M. If someone uses a taunt to make fun of you, it's mean spirited and is disrespectful.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
It depends on who you talk to. I find no offense to it, but I also have the habit of taunting after every stock I take (some people in my local scene do get salty about it).

swanized

Smash Cadet
scrubs taunting a better player is super disrespectful.

Otherwise I don't mind.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
taunting is part of the game. treat it as an in game psychological attack. if it affected you in any way, then it is a good move by the taunting player.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
For some reason taunting after ending a combo with a upwards KO as Falco is rather fun. More of a "i think that combo was cool, don't you agree?" than being mean in any way though ;)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah taunting is more something I do when I do something really cool.
If I mean for it to be disrespectful, you'll know that I mean it that way.
Because I won't even kill you, I'll just throw you offstage, run away, and taunt. And do it over and over.
While trash-talking you in real life too.
but you know how it is.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I use it as a strategy.
If my opp gets offended then good for me, his mindset is out of the game and will probably go aggro with not much thought.
Annoying your opponent gives you better chances to win.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
I usually taunt if I have a boomerang out and my opponent is dead, since the occasion rarely arises. (Curse Young Link's 10 hour long taunt) if I don't have a boomerang out I just place bombs on platforms and stuff. I personally don't take offense when people taunt either, it isn't worth my time.

Last edited:

YellowBand

Smash Cadet
what about in the case of Jiggs? Her taunt is pretty much a kill move so would that be disrespectful O.o?

I thought in the japanese version it was more accurate to consider it an appeal to the crowd rather than a taunt. If you see some of the characters they seem more like they would be appealing rather than taunting the crowd. Any character like Fox seems more due to their personality rather than the meaning of taunt.

Top Bottom