• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is SSBM working fine with a Wii?

rcc0088

Smash Rookie
So, I just recently picked up a Nintendo Wii, and after getting bored of the Wii games I quickly ran over to the store and picked up a version of SSBM. I was extremely happy that I could play SSBM again (sold my Gamecube a while ago), but my happiness soon turned into frustration...

Now I picked up a used version of SSBM, and if I had gotten a new one I probably would not be here asking this question, but has anyone had any problems with playing SSBM on a Wii? For me, it seems that when ever I get near the trophy grab round in classic mode, my Wii crashes. In adventure mode, my Wii will crash 1/3 -1/2 of the way through.

This is very frustrating for me...does anyone know if there is a compatibility problem with SSBM and the Wii? Should I try picking up a different copy of SSBM?

Thanks for your time and help.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
is your disc scratched

how badly will determine if your wii will like it or not

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't have any problems, I play mine with my Wii. I got the Pal version, when it first came out. It works fine on my Wii, no lag, no freezing, no anything. So it could just be your disc.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd have to agree that it's the disc. If there was a problem with the Wii and Melee I'm sure I would have seen a few topics on it. Sounds like you just got unlucky. :( Are you able to return it? Maybe swap it?

rcc0088

Smash Rookie
Sweet, thanks for your responses. Guess I will go pick up a new copy tomorrow.

As for the scratches...there really were not any real noticeable scratches. There were the normal tiny scratches/marks that most games get over time, but no scratches that look problematic. Anyways...thanks again. I'll grab a new copy.

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
What I noticed is that when you play SSBM on the Wii, it seems a lot more clearer than on the Gamecube.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
My copy of smash has scratches on the information side of the disc, will barely play on the cube, but plays perfectly on the wii....

Yours must be ****ED up!

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
my copy occasionally freezes if you take too long picking your character on the gcn, but on my wii it works perfectly, its probably the disc

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I also side with the disc. Out of the big 3, only the Wii has perfect backwards compatibility. If you play Halo 2 on a 360 than its so much clearer even though its running with an emulator.

So if the Wii is perfect and the game is messing up, it must be the game itself.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Yea I have the first ver. of melee sold and theres scratches on it, it sometimes lags on my GameCube, but is lag free on my wii, get a new game and cuss out the people who sold that bad copy to you lol.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
What I noticed is that when you play SSBM on the Wii, it seems a lot more clearer than on the Gamecube.
Yeah, I noticed that, too.

The only thing frusrating is using AR. Every time you use it, you have to go through the Wii menu first. I do a lot of freezing on my SSBM using AR, so it gets frustrating starting over again and again while having to go through the Wii menu...

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

~Endless

Smash Rookie
I played it on the Wii at my friends house and it was just as god as it was on the GameCube, the disc is prolly the cause of the problem or it could even bne the Wii itself, try playing another GameCube game on it and see how that goes, if its fine them it must be the ssbm disc.

Chris7x

Smash Cadet
I heard it was actually better on the wii.

FoD and Mute City doesnt lag with 4 people D:
It still lags for me :(

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

The only thing frusrating is using AR. Every time you use it, you have to go through the Wii menu first. I do a lot of freezing on my SSBM using AR, so it gets frustrating starting over again and again while having to go through the Wii menu...

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
Yeah I really hate that aswell.

Suna

Smash Journeyman
when I put my SSBM in my wii it dosen't even start the game up it says it can''t read it but I'll put it in my Gamecube and works fine 0.0 the gamecube and read discs better than a next gen console

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i think it should be noted that white is more prominently shown as an effect, somewhat, as i noticed that the white text displayed appeared larger than what was experienced on the game cube

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I have a similar issue with the wii. So when i got the wii i played smash on it. after about an hour of playing i knew something was wrong because my friend (at the time) almost never beat me but we were even in matches. So i thought that maybe i was having a bad day but then we decided to switch to the Gamecube (i was making wii johns saying it lags) as soon as we went on the gamecube we both noticed right away that the wii was actually playing the game slower... Not lag, but actually slowed down the game speed. So yeah i just play it on the GC now but i havent ever went back onto the wii to double check the problem. Has this happend with anybody else or can anyone explain this?

Revak

Smash Apprentice
I actually picked up a Wii and a few games Monday including SSBM. I haven't noticed any problems, still feels the same and plays great like it did on my Gamecube.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
My smash works fine with my Wii it's probably just the game that's messed up, take it t a Game Crazy or somewhere where you can get it buffed or you could dish out the extra bucks for a brand new one.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I only play on the Wii (at my place). To me, it renders so much better that I can't go back. Playing on the GC I'm suddenly distracted by the pixellation.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd have to agree that it's the disc. If there was a problem with the Wii and Melee I'm sure I would have seen a few topics on it. Sounds like you just got unlucky. :( Are you able to return it? Maybe swap it?
Wow, I quoted Mic.

Anyway, yea, probably the disc.
---------------------

As a side note, Melee can take more Action Replay-ing on a Wii.

The game crashes on my cube when I try more than 4 master/crazy hands, but I managed to get 9 master hands and 9 crazy hands on one screen with the Wii.

Zeninko

Smash Rookie
mine got scrached that on 1player on game cube it said read the manual. but on wii it works fine.

Top Bottom