• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash Run the 3DS's Adventure Mode? If so, what is the WiiU getting?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, back in the direct, Smash Run mode was announced for Smash 3DS.
In Smash Run, you explore a big island in the sky with Nintendo enemies, while collecting power-ups to boost your stats and get your ready for a big fight after the 5 minutes of exploring.
It's kind of like City Trial from Kirby Air Ride.

Now my question is if this is the new "Adventure Mode" for Smash 3DS. Sakurai confirmed that we will not be getting a cutscene-based story mode like in Brawl, so everyone has been wondering how an Adventure Mode will be implemented in Smash 3DS and WiiU.

If Smash Run is the Adventure Mode for the 3DS, what will be the WiiU equivalent?
Will it be more like Melee's AM, or will it be original like Smash Run?

Discuss.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It seems a little odd for a multiplayer mode like Smash Run to be the adventure mode, but sakurai is going for a lot of new things in Smash 4 so it's not unreasonable for something a little unprecedented to occur.
If this is the case, I'm guessing the Wii U's adventure mode would be more single player orriented because Smash Run works better on a handheld. There could be co-op but I'm expecting something like Melee's adventure mode but different. That makes sense right?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
That's not adventure mode and the wii u isn't getting any extra mode. Sakurai already said this in an interview.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Maybe like The Great Cave Offensive, but with different Nintendo worlds you travel between with Dimension Doors (Name of the Year :troll:).

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That's not adventure mode and the wii u isn't getting any extra mode. Sakurai already said this in an interview.
He said the wii u is not getting an extra mode?! Is there a link to the interview?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Maybe like The Great Cave Offensive, but with different Nintendo worlds you travel between with Dimension Doors (Name of the Year :troll:).
THIS.

I love the GCO, so a Metriod-style dungeon would be awesome. Maybe you can hook up to the internet and play with friends or strangers in randomly generated dungeons and rooms.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I don't Think Sakurai has ever said there'll be no new Mode for the Wii-U. Do provide link if so~

Anyways, I expect the Wii-U version to get a new mode, but I'm not sure what it would be. I'd love one with enemies like in Run, but I feel that will not be the case. :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here's a link. :link64:

Here's the URL. http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

He mentions 3ds getting something extra but not Wii U
...He didn't say the Wii U can't get anything(he doesn't even imply it to be the case). He just mentioned the 3DS having something from standard versus play, which appears to be Smash Run.

You're taking it out of context here. He's only noted what the 3DS is getting, but never mentioned what the Wii U will get(nor did he say it won't get anything, so)...

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
...He didn't say the Wii U can't get anything(he doesn't even imply it to be the case). He just mentioned the 3DS having something from standard versus play, which appears to be Smash Run.

You're taking it out of context here. He's only noted what the 3DS is getting, but never mentioned what the Wii U will get(nor did he say it won't get anything, so)...
It's implied. If the Wii U version was getting an exclusive version he would've said it at this point.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Here's a link. :link64:

Here's the URL. http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

He mentions 3ds getting something extra but not Wii U
I don't see it dude. Where, exactly?

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U game was more focussed on the multiplyer. Smash Run is a mode that wouldn't work as well on the Wii U; considering it would need split-screen.

I have a crazy theory that the Wii U version might include 'Tekken Tag'-style group battles, which would explain why the character transformations have been removed. I also think there might be a five-player mode where four players fight a boss character (Yellow Devil, Ridley, Master Hand etc.) using the Gamepad. That would explain why it doesn't look like there are stage bosses on the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It's implied. If the Wii U version was getting an exclusive version he would've said it at this point.
Yeah, I don't think that article is stating "there won't be an extra mode". As well, it could be something that is held back until closer to the Wii U launch while, instead, he focuses on the 3DS which has a closer release date. I don't think its impossible for another mode to be on the Wii U besides the Adventure mode

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's no implications of anything. It's just not there.

And he's concentrating on the version being released first. That makes sense. After the 3DS version is released, or near that, would be a great time to show the Wii U's exclusive mode, if it has one(and probably does anyway).

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I've been hoping for something co-op focused tackling missions a certain way, but differently from the past installments of Smash. Something very unique and... puzzley? That's what I hope for. Both single and co-op included in a puzzle-solving mission-based adventure!

Last edited:

LadPrime

Smash Rookie
I'm assuming that the Wii U coming out several months later is due to whatever version specific mode(s) it will have. Perhaps they're just not ready to show Adventure Mode or whatever else the 3DS may or may not have (or may have in lesser capacity) since they're still developing the Wii U version and will be for longer than the 3DS version.

I'm sure both games will have staples like Events, Classic, Target Tests, Stadium modes, etc., but who knows, maybe Wii U version will also get a better Stage Builder, Trophy system, replay system, etc.? We'll have to see.

Top Bottom