• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is she the WTF char of this edition or there will be something beyond?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
At first I thought she was but then I got caught by dubts.
She has been presented first and she is not retro at all. Unlike R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch.
Thought, no one has ever said those are two firmly costant rules. So, I dunno.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I can't imagine anything going beyond this. Then again, better not underestimate Sakurai.

I do think however that one WTF character is more than enough per game, let's keep it at that please.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I can't imagine anything going beyond this.
I think I can.

Then again, better not underestimate Sakurai.
Right! Just see how he trolled us with the trailer starting with Animal Crossing and getting us all of us confused.

I do think however that one WTF character is more than enough per game, let's keep it at that please.
I think this MIGHT BE the reason she was shown first: To get us used to her and not seeing her WTF anymore when the real WTF char will be shown.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't imagine anything going beyond this. Then again, better not underestimate Sakurai.

Techincally, Brawl had four.

R.O.B., Snake, Pokemon Trainer and Zero Suit Samus.

We didn't see any of those coming.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Techincally, Brawl had four.

R.O.B., Snake, Pokemon Trainer and Zero Suit Samus.

We didn't see any of those coming.
I regarded Snake, Pokémon Trainer and ZSS as surprise characters more than anything, welcome additions but didn't see them coming. R.O.B was the only one where I actually burst out saying WTF. I guess it's just me taking the meaning too literal though.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
I think Snake was the most surprising. ROB only was because Sakurai threw us a red herring by showing the role of ROB as a Subspace Bomb detonator much earlier.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the community would be happy to see more WTF chars considering the support many other chars already have... And of course, that we got THIS one that noone cares about T_T

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't think the community would be happy to see more WTF chars considering the support many other chars already have... And of course, that we got THIS one that noone cares about T_T
I have seen pretty high approval ratings for all the newcomers, even the Wii Fit Trainer. She is the most talked about character outside of Mega Man.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I think they want to take attention away from other characters that people won't like in.
Maybe he thinking no other character will be as random as Wii Fit Trainer.

Bedhead

Smash Rookie
It's tricky. On one hand the surprising curveball character (Game & Watch and R.O.B.) has always previously been a "hardware" representative (the Game & Watch handheld and the R.O.B. toy, respectively), and WiiFit Trainer as a representative of the Wii Balance Board fits this trend.

On the other hand the curveball character has always been deeply retro, while WiiFit Trainer comes from a shiny new franchise, especially for Nintendo standards.

I think we'll be seeing a "retro revival" character, like Ice Climbers in Melee or Pit in Brawl, who hasn't yet been revealed, but WiiFit Trainer may well be our Game & Watch/R.O.B. this time around.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
With Brawl I only found Snake and Pokemon Trainer as a WTF character. When I saw ZSS and R.O.B. I nodded in approval and applauded Nintendo.

With the new Smash I felt that both Villager and WFT were WTF characters. I say Villager because, correct me if I'm wrong, Sakurai did mention that an Animal Crossing character would not work back in Melee. I, and possibly other fans of the game, assumed that he would carry this notion for the next games, but alas he, thankfully, dropped said notion and included an Animal Crossing character.

At this point the only other characters that can make me go WTF would be Geno, Lloyd, a new 3rd party-character that isn't Pac-Man, a new retro that isn't Takamaru, and characters I have never heard of.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The concept of Smash Bros. in the first place is "WTF characters" that people wouldn't imagine in a fighting game. As such, I don't see any WTF character.

Just WFT. :yeahboi:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Depends on your definition of what WTF means.

If it means a character you didn't see coming, then yes.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
She doesn't fit as a WTF character.

She's well known, from a current and popular series that has sold tens of millions of copies worldwide. She's not obscure, forgotten, or really that surprising when you think about it. I wouldn't consider her a WTF character beyond the fact that not many expected her.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
At first I thought she was but then I got caught by dubts.
She has been presented first and she is not retro at all. Unlike R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch.
Thought, no one has ever said those are two firmly costant rules. So, I dunno.
The WTF newcomer will be the whale shark from "Endless Ocean".

Calling it.

Ethereal_Sin

Smash Rookie
I think she might be as wtf as it gets. But still, after the reveals we've seen in the past I find it difficult to be weirded out by random character reveals like WFT.

SuperSmashTaters

Smash Rookie
I thought WTF to myself but hey, the wii fit trainer is a very much a nintendo character whose recognition reaches outside the majority gamer community. Including her in does good business for wii fit and also might bring in folks who don't traditionally play super smash.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
I think WFT does cover the wtf character, they're running out of retro hardware to turn into playable wtf characters. As for retro to fit in with Ice Climbers and Pit, I'm all for Takamaru.

A little off-topic: Who do you think were the wtf/retro characters for SSB64? I'd say Captain Falcon (from a racing game) & Ness personally, even Jigglypuff battles in her home game.

Top Bottom