• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is Pivot Hopping Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Pivot hops (don't know if they have an official name) are basically when you're, for example, running, and you input a combination of short hop and pivot that let you short hop in the same direction you were running, but while facing the opposite direction that you were running in.

is this considered a good or advanced tech, or should I not do it? XD

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
I would assume it has it's uses, for example on a character like Jigglypuff who has trouble approaching and has a strong kill move on bair.

T-block

B2B TST
The accepted term (for better or for worse haha) is Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR).

It definitely has its uses, so getting comfortable with it would be a good idea, although obviously it benefits some characters more than others.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Reverse Aerial Rush....I like the sound of that XD

I guess it'd benefit someone like Sonic, since his bair is one of his only kill moves, huh? XP

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Pivot hopping is just RAR, and yes it's a very important technique for characters with good back airs to allow them to poke with those moves during neutral play.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Pivot hopping is just RAR, and yes it's a very important technique for characters with good back airs to allow them to poke with those moves during neutral play.
And to think my Smash terminology a few months ago was limited to wavedashing.

I've learned so much over time XD

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'd rather just say pivot jump. It's just a basic movement option, use it the same as dashing, walking, and normal full/short hops.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'd rather just say pivot jump. It's just a basic movement option, use it the same as dashing, walking, and normal full/short hops.
Wavedashing is just jumping and then airdodging, but it's a clever combination of the games mechanics that gives you a specific, desirable outcome. Reverse aerial rush is the same way, and warrants a name for that reason.
The name emphasizes that the point of the technique is generally to attack with a backair, adding additional clarity. Just like wavedashing adds clarity that you should be using the technique for movement, not doing it in place to try to get invincibility or something.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You can discuss this in the stickied Q&A thread now that you know it's called RAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom