• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Olimar suited for 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 or both?

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Is Olimar suited for 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 or both? I really can't imagine Olimar fighting 2 opponents at once (3 pikmin for each opponent?) I can only imagine Olimar for 1 vs 1...anyone think Olimar is suitable for 2 vs 2 and why?

Thanks.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i wan't to say anyone can be suited for 2 vs 2 if they are played correctly... however my friend keeps binging up the gimping oli's recovery factor and there will be 3 bodies that can hold the ledge opposed to one, also there is a good chance of latching your teammate, this is just my take on it though

Zori

Smash Champion
Olimar is not meant to be played in a 2 on 2 alot of your moves hurt your teammate(Latching pikmin,grabs smash attacks etc.) and is hard for you to use your recovery is your both off the stage but like pyronic said any team is suited for a 2 on 2 in the right hands.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I can rock in 1 v 1 but in 2v2 I just end up getting murdered because I'll end up hitting my teammate or trying hard not to hit them and get nothing done. Olimar is small but when used right he covers a lot of ground, so its better for him to be a 1v1 character.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I'd imagine his recovery as BETTER in 2 v 2. Your teammate should be protecting the edge for you, not edgehogging you. Assuming you have a competent teammate, he will never edgehog you, because now, edgehogging needs to be largely intentional. You can't accidentally edgehog as easily as you could in Melee.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I'm actually planning on posting a guide for olly in doubles tonight or tomorrow...the quick point in that

1) Olly has to change his playstyle for doubles, no question...but pikmin latch is awesome if used responsibly

2) His recovery improves in doubles as long as you have a smart teammate - I play with a Jiggly who protects the edge for me when I'm off.

3) You must have a teammate that compliments your style - olly is a slower, closed range player in doubles - do not play with a person who puts you in the main slaying position...olly is there for support and quick kills...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Depends who you have as a teammate. You need a new playstyle in teams too, to avoid latching pikmin on your partner. (you can still use the move, you have to be precise with it though)

Double Olimar kind of sucks. Olimar teams nicely with Peach, though. Peach can help him get back, either by giving a target to footstool (she won't lose her float if you footstool it), or as a last resort up b. Peach is also fast enough to try to break it up if someone's trying to gimp you.

For similar reasons, I see Olimar teaming well with Metaknight, Kirby, Jigglypuff, ROB.

pockyD

Smash Legend
olimar is awful in teams

for every tiny "trick" that makes olimar 'better' in teams than 1v1 (where imo he also sucks too lol, but that's plenty debatable and i'm not set on it), every other character in the game has something better

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Yeah thanks for the responses I didn't think Olimar would be as good in 2 vs 2 as he was in 1 vs 1. But a good partner would definitely help you out.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Pretty funny to read how most people think two Olimar's can form a good team. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you guys, but it does form a good team if you both play smart and watch out for eachother. Jarri (myself) and Oli (Pokerface on here) are a European Olimar-team and we rawk. Honestly. We've started playing together since yesterday and have played quite some 2vs2's that day (about 30) and won almost all of them. Today we're going to come up with tactics and combined combo's, such as me grabbing and Oli uSmashing the grabbed person and so on. We have no problems with recovering as well. We have some epic kills on tape, but Oli can't upload it. I'll try to see if I can tape some of our matches today ;).

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I see how Oli can be played in 2v2 but I hate being the support pikmin person, I prefer to just attack and kill everything.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Oli and myself are both very agressive. I mean, sometimes we end up spiking the same person and still recovering both. Amazing, eh? Olimar does not really has to be the support-person, it's just a matter of good task-dividing and you can play as agressive as you want.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, Olimar is great for 2v2. You don't play him the same as you would 1v1, of course. Since your opponent's are focusing on two opponents themselves, it's alot easier to land grabs on them. Then you just decide whether your teammate is ready to deal a killinig blow or if the guy your holding needs to **** off of them so they can get their game together. Olimaris good as the support character, lending the occasional upsmash kill and trying to keep the other team confused with your grabs.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I simply can't play as anybody else in brawl (it's a weird flaw of mine) so i'm sorta relegated to olimar for teams. When it comes to recovery, i personally feel it's easier to recover. My teammate Typh is a very smart player (ice climbers) and he always protects me when I'm on the ledge. I use the latch sparingly, but when i can use it I do. I'll generally use it if andrew has fallen off the stage and the person is waiting there for him to come back.

I can't say I've found an effective way to use Oli in teams, but I'm not all that bad at it. I agree that the play style definitely needs to change a lot though.

gonna read that guide now.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I simply can't play as anybody else in brawl (it's a weird flaw of mine) so i'm sorta relegated to olimar for teams. When it comes to recovery, i personally feel it's easier to recover. My teammate Typh is a very smart player (ice climbers) and he always protects me when I'm on the ledge. I use the latch sparingly, but when i can use it I do. I'll generally use it if andrew has fallen off the stage and the person is waiting there for him to come back.

I can't say I've found an effective way to use Oli in teams, but I'm not all that bad at it. I agree that the play style definitely needs to change a lot though.

gonna read that guide now.
its a wall of text...you should start early ;)

shanus

Smash Hero
so I did olimar and ROB as a team recently. Placed 3rd and it was an interesting team. Keeping ROB in front to take a lot of the hits worked very well and he can save you easily. And if you need to camp, top, laser, and pikmin latch is rapeeee

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Alright after reading your responses i've noticed a lot of you said he isn't so well in 2v2. I've been in over 20 brawl tournametns so far and every time i've placed top 5 in teams, and top 10 in singles most of the time. Olimar has an incredible recovery option in singles, as if he is gimped your partner can save you. Your partner can stop you from getting gimped in the first place. your partner keeps them from comboing you if you are in the air.

BASICALLY: You have to have a partner who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to teams.

Olimar is one of the best team characters i've seen so far (besides the obvious snake/mk cuz gayness of both). He CAN DO A 1v2 situation VERY easily because his moves have a lot of range and his grab is very quick for getting someone out of the way. For instance. My partner tries to sit back and hold stock for me while i take them on 1v2 most of the match. Unless we vs. a really good team we usually 4-6 stock everyone because he holds stock (btw partner plays TL and rarely attacks :D ) He also watches out for me to make sure they don't double team combo me, as that can get me killed really fast.

Olimar is good in teams you just need to be in sync with your partner.

shanus

Smash Hero
Alright after reading your responses i've noticed a lot of you said he isn't so well in 2v2. I've been in over 20 brawl tournametns so far and every time i've placed top 5 in teams, and top 10 in singles most of the time. Olimar has an incredible recovery option in singles, as if he is gimped your partner can save you. Your partner can stop you from getting gimped in the first place. your partner keeps them from comboing you if you are in the air.

BASICALLY: You have to have a partner who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to teams.

Olimar is one of the best team characters i've seen so far (besides the obvious snake/mk cuz gayness of both). He CAN DO A 1v2 situation VERY easily because his moves have a lot of range and his grab is very quick for getting someone out of the way. For instance. My partner tries to sit back and hold stock for me while i take them on 1v2 most of the match. Unless we vs. a really good team we usually 4-6 stock everyone because he holds stock (btw partner plays TL and rarely attacks :D ) He also watches out for me to make sure they don't double team combo me, as that can get me killed really fast.

Olimar is good in teams you just need to be in sync with your partner.
100% agreed

I just dont like teams of cort + OBM or other related pain :(

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I think that Olimar+Marth/Olimar+MK are great.
I'd love to see an Olimar+Snake team be put into action, but I imagine this team would have to work even harder due to their differing concepts of gameplay and tactics.

GuyWhoFry!

Smash Rookie
I think that he's sorta suited toward both. I guess the way he leans just depends on your playstyle...for example, my friend had a little stint where he used Olimar (he's a Yoshi/MK now) and he considered him best for 2 on 2, because of the same reasons as some of you, (that his partner can gimp-proof him, if that makes sense :psycho:) but he is a more an attacking player. I am more a defensive player, until about 75%, so I prefer 1 v 1's, because of Olimar's great throws and lightning-fast aerials. Also, the lack of their saving grace (team-mate) intensifies these factors by, like...tons :laugh:. It's just preference, IMO.

It's so fun being an dealing with gimps, hey? Imagine if he had a recovery like his ship or something, that's less edge-hoggable.

Aztec Imperial

Smash Rookie
Olimar can take 2v2, but his partner can't take his pikmin which is why Olimar is not good for doubles. He can take on two guys unless both are MK's. So he is better in 1v1, in 2v2 there is so much friendly fire.

Fino

Smash Master
meh, i teamed with a snake, but snakes ledge game can't really help oli out much in terms of recovery. The best we came up with is snake tossing a nade off the edge and my nairing (to grab it), and then I was shot in the upwards direction. It worked sometimes, but that was really the only thing we could do. lol.
They're both incredibly micromanaging, so it was either **** or be *****. idk if I'm going to team with him again, just because of how it turned out.
it was different, but idk if it was necessarily bad.

I think it's me really. Don't know if you other oli's have trouble in teams, but I just can't do it.

~Fino

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I hate team battles unless its with my friends at my house. 1v1's pls. Easier to concentrate on the game.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I hate team battles unless its with my friends at my house. 1v1's pls. Easier to concentrate on the game.
True. I understand that things can get...complicated (if not, messy), but there are so many things you can do in 2 vs. 2!
Also, a good player must also learn to cooperate with his/her partner. You will never be a true master if you just stick to 1 vs. 1.
For example, even DSF had a shot at 2 vs. 2 (he did quite well).

Top Bottom