• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is my name "Emo" to you? AKA: Lone Shadow's Emo Sui-scheme.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I was approached by people on the Internet and in real life and they sort of thought I was "Emo" (I have red hair and wear normal clothes ><)...So, what do you think of my name? Should I change it and if so, what do you think too. Also, I would like you guys to guess what my name means, if you get it right I will give you a cookie for your efforts. :chuckle:

Thanks,

-LS-

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
I am very sick of how the word " emo" is being used in this day and age. If you want my opinion on it, I would say no. Apparently the definition of an "emo" is someone who dressed all gloomy; acts all gloomy; dwells on their sadness; and feels sorry for themselves. "Emo" people were not like that in the 80s. They were happy and full of life. They understand that you can't be depressed without being happy. One feeling can't exist without the other.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
"Emo" isn't a word. Period.

Clearly you picked the name for a reason. If you like it, then stick with it. If people get the wrong impression of you, then I guess you'll just have to correct them (or let them think what they want).

D13

Smash Ace
Your name's just fine. I think more people would say mine is Emo. But my name wasn't meant to be Leetspeak. >_>

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I love your name.
Thanks. I totally stole it from the name of a Panic At The Disco tour. :)

Your name's just fine. I think more people would say mine is Emo. But my name wasn't meant to be Leetspeak. >_>
I didn't even notice until you said "leetspeak". That's an unfortunate coincidence.

bored

Smash Ace
No, not really, I would consider an "emo" name too have hxc in the title, or something of that nature.

Off topic: *sigh,* I wish I could change my username.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
&quot;So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
It doesn't make much of a difference, in my opinion. If you like it, then keep it. No one's going to make fun of you for having an "emo" user name. By all accounts it is not very emo.

There's like a bajillion users on this forum. No one really cares what you're named. McCloud would lead you to believe I'm either a Star Fox fan, or a TV police drama aficianado.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I am very sick of how the word " emo" is being used in this day and age. If you want my opinion on it, I would say no. Apparently the definition of an "emo" is someone who dressed all gloomy; acts all gloomy; dwells on their sadness; and feels sorry for themselves. "Emo" people were not like that in the 80s. They were happy and full of life. They understand that you can't be depressed without being happy. One feeling can't exist without the other.
"Emo" didn't really exist in the 80s -- the closest thing to emo then was "Goth", and from what I know, the two subcultures are fairly different.
"Emo" is a rather new fad from the early 2000s. I think.

Yeah, I went and said fad. Just watch! You'll all soon bow down to me! Grrr! ect!

Also, your name is fine. It's all good, and who cares what anyone thinks of your online name? :laugh:

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
"Emo" didn't really exist in the 80s -- the closest thing to emo then was "Goth", and from what I know, the two subcultures are fairly different.

Yeah, I went and said fad. Just watch! You'll all soon bow down to me! Grrr! ect!

Also, your name is fine. It's all good, and who cares what anyone thinks of your online name? :laugh:
Thankyou for this

and your name is jsut dorky =P

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
You're all a bunch of emo's for discussing that emo name... (-_\\\)

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
"Emo" isn't a word. Period.

Clearly you picked the name for a reason. If you like it, then stick with it. If people get the wrong impression of you, then I guess you'll just have to correct them (or let them think what they want).
Excuse me, but "emo" is a word.

It is a genre of music that dates back to the late 80's - early 90's.

The media abused the term enough until it became something it's not (like that doesn't happen all the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo = history lesson.

See above post.

------------

But, to answer yr question... no, yr name is not "emo". ;"}

Dexter Morgan

Smash Apprentice
"Emo" music will be critized just as Rock 'n' Roll was by the older generation way back in the 50's and onwards. It'll be condemed as "evil" when the choice is really up to the listener.

SagaKirby

Smash Journeyman
"emo"
I dont like hearing that,I'm an ex-emo.

Well back on topic,''>_>. If you like your name,keep it.If people say its emo or make fun of it like"lol u emo,go kill urself" or along those lines,I got ur back :D

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Excuse me, but "emo" is a word.

It is a genre of music that dates back to the late 80's - early 90's.

The media abused the term enough until it became something it's not (like that doesn't happen all the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo = history lesson.
Trust me, I've been through this ringer before. The media's *******ization of the word is irrelevant. It has become a word that no longer means anything, therefor I don't acknowledge it (and by extension, I don't think other people should).

The problem with the word is that it's meaning is now debatable. Artists of several different musical styles are referred to as emo all the time, rendering the term useless. It's practically synonymous with "rock" at this point (that's an exaggeration, but I'm sure you get my point).

As far as people being "emo" (since that's what this thread more directly refers to), the word still has no meaning. The things that make up the "look" for emo are rather broad. Some characteristics are just vague (asymmetrical hair, tight pants, hoodies) and others are just things stolen from other, bigger, better established styles like goth and punk (dark make up, tattoos, piercings).

The very fact that this thread exists is proof of my point. "Lone Shadow" being emo is debatable. Some people have said it sounds emo while others say it reminds them of ninjas. It's just too vague a term to deserve acknowledgment.

Of course this is just my opinion and I'm not going to jump down your throat and tell you never to use the term again. I just felt that, in relation to the thread, it deserved to be said that I think emo is a waste of terminology. I think that just about any time you'd use the word "emo", another word would do a better job of saying what you want to say.

ses aran

Smash Cadet
It's a paradox. Something must cast the shadow so the shadow can't be alone.

Whether it's emo or not depends on peoples view of what emo is, and how they interpret your name. If you didn't mean it to be emo then it's not, they are projecting on to your name. Saying that you may have done it subconcously. Which would mean that you would have to be "emo". Unfortunately the fact that you are obsessing over the fact that people are saying that your name is emo would suggest that you are "emo". You need to learn to
not care about what people think of you, it's just opinion.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Basically your name is "Alone" and "Dark", so it's not really surprising that people thought it was Emo.

If my name were in English, it would sound a bit Emo too, but it's not, it's Latin, so it's therefore automatically cool. :laugh:

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't make much of a difference, in my opinion. If you like it, then keep it. No one's going to make fun of you for having an "emo" user name. By all accounts it is not very emo.

There's like a bajillion users on this forum. No one really cares what you're named. McCloud would lead you to believe I'm either a Star Fox fan, or a TV police drama aficianado.
While we all know that you are Duncan "McCloud" hailing from the clan "McCloud" and that you've lived for more than 400 years!

And Lone Shadow I don't really believe there is such a thing as an "Emo" name. You shouldn't change your name just take a little of your time to explain to people what lead you to that name!

Tr0n

Smash Cadet
I think it's an awesome name, don't let ppl discourage you by calling you emo, you shud keep it.

D

Deleted member

You got an awesome username! Sounds like some kind of Metal Gear character.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Wow

Well first off, thanks to everyone who responded and gave their honest opinion. Some were actually funny and amused me and some gave me a diffrent point of view. I cant recall who said it, but the person who mentioned the ninja thing is what I wanted it to mean. My computer died on me , and I was just able to write a reply on a school computer. Anyway, thanks again and YOU ALL GET A COOKIE...just pay a $9.99 shipping and handling fee ><.

See ya,
-LS-

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
hey this is a big question
i dress in black alot
i love puttin my hair down
i 'quiet' u know kind of emo style
i DONT cut my wrists
i DONT say im an emo
i DONT hang out with emos
Am i considered an emo?
some people dont stop calling me one and it pisses me off and i beat them up lol
i may look like one but that doesnt mean i AM an emo right?
btw ur name is cool and its not that emoish

Top Bottom