• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Mewtwo worth maining?

D

Deleted member

As some of you are probably aware, I've been in a bit of a crisis lately.

I've been maining :4dedede: since launch, and despite me loving the character himself (there's a reason I solo main him in Brawl), I've pretty much come to terms that he's terrible. Most of my tourneygoing friends in my area advise me to drop Dedede for another character, and I can't help but to lean towards that. Dedede just struggles so hard, especially with characters who are most relevant in the meta. It's not fun being outlamed and generally just being outright dwarfed in neutral because your character has a projectile completely ineffective at midrange, terrible frame data, bad throws, nothing to threaten shield, and has trouble killing reliably despite being a super heavyweight since his most powerful attacks and laughably slow on startup.

However, with Mewtwo I feel like I have more freedom despite the threat of dying early if I let the opponent get the upper hand. I've been performing better with him recently than I have Dedede, and his tools feel more suitable to me. I really want to play this character optimally and contribute to his meta, especially with how hard people sleep on him. So I'm just wondering, would it be wise for me to drop Dedede for Mewtwo? I currently only focus on three characters at the moment, and those are :4dedede:,:4ness: and :4corrin:. I'd highly appreciate the input!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

I've been maining :4dedede: since launch, and despite me loving the character himself (there's a reason I solo main him in Brawl), I've pretty much come to terms that he's terrible. Most of my tourneygoing friends in my area advise me to drop Dedede for another character, and I can't help but to lean towards that. Dedede just struggles so hard, especially with characters who are most relevant in the meta. It's not fun being outlamed and generally just being outright dwarfed in neutral because your character has a projectile completely ineffective at midrange, terrible frame data, bad throws, nothing to threaten shield, and has trouble killing reliably despite being a super heavyweight since his most powerful attacks and laughably slow on startup.

However, with Mewtwo I feel like I have more freedom despite the threat of dying early if I let the opponent get the upper hand. I've been performing better with him recently than I have Dedede, and his tools feel more suitable to me. I really want to play this character optimally and contribute to his meta, especially with how hard people sleep on him. So I'm just wondering, would it be wise for me to drop Dedede for Mewtwo? I currently only focus on three characters at the moment, and those are :4dedede:,:4ness: and :4corrin:. I'd highly appreciate the input!
I use Mewtwo mainly because I love Mewtwo as a character. Before 1.1.3, I still used Ike more, though, because Mewtwo was so bad. Now that Mewtwo's fast, I mostly use him.

Mew² almost beat ESAM's Pikachu at TGC6 the other day. Blue took a set off Nairo's ZSS last month. Rich Brown just got 2nd at Fire & Dice.

Mewtwo is viable. If you love the character, your time in mastering him would not be misplaced.

D

Deleted member

I use Mewtwo mainly because I love Mewtwo as a character. Before 1.1.3, I still used Ike more, though, because Mewtwo was so bad. Now that Mewtwo's fast, I mostly use him.

Mew² almost beat ESAM's Pikachu at TGC6 the other day. Blue took a set off Nairo's ZSS last month. Rich Brown just got 2nd at Fire & Dice.

Mewtwo is viable. If you love the character, your time in mastering him would not be misplaced.
Mewsquared actually almost did that? Congrats to him! Isn't it a particularly bad MU for Mewtwo?

AlmostDoug

Smash Cadet
NNID
AlmostDoug
3DS FC
1048-8205-2086
If you're not really having fun playing as Dedede, I'd say you should absolutely drop him. No point in wasting your time.

If you are, I'd say to manage yourself realistically. I know there's some region I heard of recently where a Dedede main is the top player (I think it was near the northeast), so I wouldn't consider him a lost cause if you're good enough, but he's a low enough character tier-wise that you have to be realistic about what you can handle. You might have to play him in only a few MUs that you feel comfy in, or against players you might feel comfy against, but either way entirely dropping a character you enjoy playing as and like/love in general would just be sad imo, and could be demotivating for you, depending on what kind of person you are.

Also your avatar is super cute.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Mewsquared actually almost did that? Congrats to him! Isn't it a particularly bad MU for Mewtwo?
I don't find it as bad as others, but sorta. We don't suffer as much from edgeguarding shenanagins.

Mewtwo is never going to be top tier. However, top 20 isn't too high to shoot with him. He is a really good character. A mix of ZSS's punish game and RosaLuma's defense. I you want to win all your locals with him, he is probably not the best choice. You still have to outplay all the top tiers, and some of the high tiers. He is never going to be an easy character to play. I am just happy we have so many people playing him.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I'm in the exact opposite place as you, lol. I've had my heart set Mewtwo even when he was really bad. Now, with some work from us, we can could showcase him as a solid mid tier character. You'll need a good secondary, but the sky is absolutely the limit my friend, go for it!

:150:

Last edited:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
I'm not sure, it definitely won't be easy. You'll still going to have to work really hard in a lot of match ups, but if you really want to try / are willing to go through it all, do it!
M2 isn't terrible or amazingly good but he still needs to work hard in a lot of match ups, so you're going to need to out play alot of players

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Using Mewtwo as a main is a bit of a gamble, considering how easy it is for it to get KO'd quickly. It also doesn't help that its dash grab lacks the necessary range for it to be highly efficient.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5

Main who you enjoy, ya know? I play quite a few low tier characters (Mii fighters, Mega Man, Lucas, Ganondorf) and I still see results in tourneys because I legitimately know and enjoy these characters. I feel like even if I learned Sheik perfectly, inside and out, I still wouldn't do as well because I don't like playing as her. Go with your gut on your mains, but make sure you are confident with your decision. Hope this helps :)

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769

Yes you should drop dedede because mewtwo now has more options to againts the mid tiers and some high tiers like sonic and tbh cloud.Plus mewtwo has a better spacing option then dedede and a very strong projectile witch can eat shields up

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
Yes, definitely. The buffs really helped him. If you can master his movement, especially in the air, you'll be on your way to kicking some butt with him.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
King Dedede may be fun to play, but he has so many matchups were it's not fun, unlike Mewtwo.

Yes, you should start raining Mewtwo, he is a blast to play and I'm sure that he'll get you WAAAY father than D3 ever could. Go for it. :)

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo is a really good character. He's no Sheik, but he has lots of good tools and an f-smash hadoken that will send your unsuspecting opponent flying like it's Home-Run Contest. I use him for matchups such as low tiers, Falco, marth, and other non-top tiers.
Whether or not you want to solo main him that's your choice but I would definitely recommend him at least as a counter pick.

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
Also, Shadow Ball is an amazing projectile and there are fewer better feelings I get from Smash than when I snipe KO somebody coming back from offstage with it.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I suppose I'll dedicate myself to this character and see what results he yields me. I'm definitely going to be around these boards often, thanks for the responses!

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo is the Ulitmate Life Form. you made the right choice :p

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
A little off note, but the best player in BC is a DDD main, only using Mario too for fun.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
The reason I play Mewtwo all the time is because I always have fun creating mixups with him :)

This is a great time to be a Mewtwo main since players like Mew^2 and Blue are strutting their stuff and finally showing off his full potential. I'd say he's absolutely worth maining - but don't get ahead of yourself, he's no Sheik ;P

BadAsAMagikarp

Smash Rookie
NNID
BadAsAMagikarp
knowing alot about mewtwo, i know what he is capable of doing, and i dont think mewtwo can beat any of top 10. the benefit mew2 has is that no one knows how to play him and what hes capable of doing(for ex esam at TGC6). Im learning pika too and using that in tourney, but i am more comfortable with mew2 in certain matchups. My final word is mew2 cant get things done by himself, find another character to cover his mathups. :)

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Mewtwo is a unique character to main. He kills early, but dies early himself.

If you want to drop DDD for Mewtwo, that's entirely up to you! It's always great to have other Mewtwo mains on board. If you've lost motivation with that character or are simply not having fun wth him anymore, then Mewtwo is a perfect choice of character. However, he does require a lot of work and patience. I've mained Mewtwo since the start (going back to Melee) and there have been countless times I wanted to drop him for other characters but I always went back to Mewtwo in the end, reminding myself why I bought the game in the first place. (I'm a dedicated Mewtwo fan.) He was good before the buffs, but after the buffs I noticed a complete difference. I could finally not feel afraid to go in and attack an opponent and can scare my opponents now quite easily now.

Mewtwo is a monster if you know how to play him correctly. He's worth the time and effort by all means. You can pull him out and surprise people because not many people care about him enough to main him which is always fun!

There are still a few flaws in his gameplay, but if you can work around those, he's a strong solid character that can handle most of the cast well. In all, he's worth maining.

MewSquared

Smash Rookie
knowing alot about mewtwo, i know what he is capable of doing, and i dont think mewtwo can beat any of top 10. the benefit mew2 has is that no one knows how to play him and what hes capable of doing(for ex esam at TGC6). Im learning pika too and using that in tourney, but i am more comfortable with mew2 in certain matchups. My final word is mew2 cant get things done by himself, find another character to cover his mathups. :)
I completely disagree. There is a number of the top/high tier characters in the game that Mewtwo is more than capable handling.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
If you have fun with the character and feel relatively confident in your character choice, go for it. There's nothing wrong with trying him out for a while and seeing what he can pull off. You've been around these parts long enough to know that he's come a long way from the bottom tier days of old. I legitimately think he can make some noise if he gets more representation. He's a fun character with a ton of options. Try him out for a while and see if he's someone you want to stick with. I think he's worth at least being a secondary even if you don't want to main him.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Getting into Mewtwo is hard at first, because his movement and some of his attacks are a bit... weird. However, since it sounds like you have already become a bit acclimatised to him the hard part is over! The freedom and the sheer classiness of him is rewarding in itself, and taking a stock with him almost always feels like an achievement.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I completely disagree. There is a number of the top/high tier characters in the game that Mewtwo is more than capable handling.
These are all matchups I think Mewtwos can perform well in

:4villager::4diddy::4lucario::4olimar::4ness::4pacman::4wario::4rob::4megaman::4mario::4luigi::4pit::4darkpit:

not too bad

Last edited:

AlmostDoug

Smash Cadet
NNID
AlmostDoug
3DS FC
1048-8205-2086
From what I remember, Mewtwo will indeed go even with us floofs. But I wouldn't consider :4lucario: a tourney threat either, for the most part. Kami, Steam and Day are gonna be the only real big ones, and at least the first two are retired. JohnnstR and Vivi are coming up but still local. Even if you're gonna consider the character a serious threat, the players aren't, at least right now.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I say go for it, I've been using Mewtwo a lot more as well. Despite popular belief, Mewtwo doesn't get bodied by the large majority of the the cast.

When you use his tools optimally, you'll realize that Mewtwo is basically a sword character with good mobility and a killer projectile.

Do be aware that he does in fact get bodied by rushdown characters. So you'll often find people trying to counter pick you to get a easy win. If you want to place well in tourneys, you will need a secondary, no doubt.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I say go for it, I've been using Mewtwo a lot more as well. Despite popular belief, Mewtwo doesn't get bodied by the large majority of the the cast.

When you use his tools optimally, you'll realize that Mewtwo is basically a sword character with good mobility and a killer projectile.

Do be aware that he does in fact get bodied by rushdown characters. So you'll often find people trying to counter pick you to get a easy win. If you want to place well in tourneys, you will need a secondary, no doubt.
Depends on the region/tournament.

Different people have different standards and goals. Not everyone can travel to Florida for a major tournament, or to square off against Mew2King, etc. For instance, MewSquared does well in Texas, and Blue does well in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Mewtwo does have weaknesses, and if your standard is "I'm gonna beat ZeRo with just Mewtwo," you're not being realistic for mutiple reasons... some of which have nothing to do with character choice.

I think that a solid secondary or tertiary character is a prudent choice, though. Whoever you pick is up to preference.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Though I can't say much about Mewtwo or Dedede, I'll say this; If you aren't enjoying playing as a character any more but enjoy another more, totally make a switch. This is part of the reason I dual main Rosalina and Marth now, as opposed to Rosalina and Mario, as I just enjoyed playing as Marth more. I keep Mario as a secondary, and am arguably as good with Mario as I am Marth, but I just plain enjoy playing Marth more, and have more drive/focus when playing as him, which can be a big factor in how well you perform.

There is nothing stopping you from using Dedede as a secondary, but if you feel you are going places with another character, totally start focusing on them for a bit and see how you feel.

Like, Bowser is my all time favorite character in gaming, period, but I realize that there are many better characters than him, or characters that I enjoy playing in Smash 4 more, so though I still stay loyal to Bowser and use him every so often, I don't restrict myself to using him all the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

These are all matchups I think Mewtwos can perform well in

:4villager::4diddy::4lucario::4olimar::4ness::4pacman::4wario::4rob::4megaman::4mario::4luigi::4pit::4darkpit:

not too bad

I can deal with all those characters except the Mario Bruddas, the Pits and Wario. God I hate fighting Wario as Mewtwo.

Mewtwos got swag.

The question is, do you?
I've been maining one of the worst characters in the game for over a year now. That's the true definition of swag. :4dedede:

C3CC

Smash Lord
If you want to have fun, then yes. Main Mewtwo.

If you want to win tournaments, then no. Don't main Mewtwo.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
If you want to have fun, then yes. Main Mewtwo.

If you want to win tournaments, then no. Don't main Mewtwo.
Yeah, I wouldn't say that Mewtwo is going to win any major any time soon, but he's had some great placements. I wouldn't say that Mewtwo's JUST fun, he can actually take you really far, honestly. Just... not as far as the top tiers.

Now, of course, he isn't solo viable, but when you think about it around, 60, 70, 80 percent of the cast isn't solo viable. He's amazing as a secondary, and if you want to take him into tournament, then go ahead. Just bring a secondary if you're maining him.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yeah, I wouldn't say that Mewtwo is going to win any major any time soon, but he's had some great placements. I wouldn't say that Mewtwo's JUST fun, he can actually take you really far, honestly. Just... not as far as the top tiers.

Now, of course, he isn't solo viable, but when you think about it around, 60, 70, 80 percent of the cast isn't solo viable. He's amazing as a secondary, and if you want to take him into tournament, then go ahead. Just bring a secondary if you're maining him.
By my estimation, I think that only about 19% of the cast is solo-viable, as we currently understand today's metagame. It's too early to tell for Corrin & Bayonetta, and the metagame will change over time. That top 19% will undoubtedly see characters come and go, and might shrink or expand in size depending on player results, etc.

D

Deleted member

How are you holding up with Mewtwo, Feelicks? Is it comfortable for you?
I'm pretty comfortable with him, I'd say. I still have to get over my fear of dying early, but that's more or less my case of needing to optimize my defensive play and learning Mewtwo's most reliable ways to kill and edgeguard. I need to fight some of y'all on the Mewtwo boards for guidance.

Top Bottom