• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Marth a tourney/patch away from popping off?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
The reason I bring this absolutely crazy idea up is because well...its not so crazy. Lets look at EVO, Ally Breaks out Marth and without customs or a deep knowledge of marth options and even movement options almost beats Mr.R's sheik. Then at SSC a NEO charged Mr.E plays Mr.R in Round 2 Pools(you can find the match at the 1:04:00 marker on day 1 Pool 2) he has the Foxt Trot and Canceling going for him and takes Me.R to game 3 using marth only in 3 incredibly close Matches. 2 marth players using two different styles of marth. Both almost bring the 2nd best in the world down using his #1 character now if marth either gets A) more buffs or B) a Marth player can land Tippers 9/10 times emerges I think it's safe to assume that a marth will rise in the coming months. Well he's the first Technically demanding character in smash 4 to show this kind of potential I think it's only a matter of time before Mr.E or another Marth Main pops off.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I think he needs less recovery on his aerials before that. If his aerials had the recovery they did in Brawl, as in he could do two fairs before landing from a shorthop, I think he probably could. I do think he's moderately underrated in most circles though. He has guaranteed kills from jab 1 albeit at fairly high percents (120ish) on most characters, including lots of top tiers like Sheik. His jab 1 is super underrated in general to be honest. I still maintain that he's not quite up to snuff with the top 18ish characters though. I don't even think he's the best of the Fire Emblem lot.

I wouldn't bring up the whole Ally's Marth thing though, I think it was just him knowing he couldn't win with his other character. Mr R probably doesn't know the matchup very well, and he probably was playing recklessly.

Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Well, is already a force to recon with, and the buffs keep coming every patch, if he gets even less lag then I believe he'll be played as in more tournaments.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
When is the next patch going to be? This last one was kinda, meh, not much changed. All the top tiers are the same and the tier list that people make is still trash below the top 15, even though people bellow the top 15 are great.

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
When is the next patch going to be? This last one was kinda, meh, not much changed. All the top tiers are the same and the tier list that people make is still trash below the top 15, even though people bellow the top 15 are great.
Tier lists are mainly made from what character has a high winrate at tourneys. Take Mario as an example, he has a great combo game, kill potential, a way to get easy gimps, and a pretty decent recovery. Why is he not up there with Luigi? Because he never gets top 8 (could be wrong) at tourneys.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
I believe that if marth gets more buffs (hopefully he will), that are in line with his last few patch notes he will be a top tier. And no i'm not over-exagerrating. Here is a video for you guys who haven't seen it of False Vs Nairo fairly recently in which False is using marth to his full (current) potential. Now imagine after watching this video what false would be able to accomplish if marth got a few more tweaks to his end lag on his moves. Here is the video, enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yugOsgEviY

KillLock

Smash Lord
I believe that if marth gets more buffs (hopefully he will), that are in line with his last few patch notes he will be a top tier. And no i'm not over-exagerrating. Here is a video for you guys who haven't seen it of False Vs Nairo fairly recently in which False is using marth to his full (current) potential. Now imagine after watching this video what false would be able to accomplish if marth got a few more tweaks to his end lag on his moves. Here is the video, enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yugOsgEviY

Do you really think that is Marth's full potential (currently)?

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Do you really think that is Marth's full potential (currently)?
More or less. I mean he was using spacing tools very well and used his aerials to the fullest extent. The only move he didn't use was neutral b, which he could have used as a mixup after conditioning shield.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
He really needs dolphin slash hitbox buffed. His recovery is going to be wayyyyyyyyyy too abusable when it's common knowledge it doesn't pose a threat to challenge.
If these hitlag modifier strikes on shield have been altered in the latest patch like it seems to have been (check it out?), that would've made marth's tippers safer on shield passively without extending the combo-strength, this may explain my down tilting for people's get ups at the ledge being so ridiculously safer than expected. A few more frames off our aerials (in particular fair) and we'll be a lot closer to being a combo demon (limited by not having solid auto cancels).

Right now he's still a little undertuned with his current specs, stuff like the auto cancels, grab game (although it isn't bad), bad recovery, damage values (+minor but lacking anything sub 5 frames) are likely going to keep him in check from being a super menace (he still has average/terrible dash attack and down smash too). All of these are kinda unlikely to change as a whole, at least we're not too sure they know completely what's "wrong" with Marth, although they seem to know what can make him silly (making fair to tipper fsmash easier). All the things super-good to change [structurally] haven't not been done yet; Zard has had his throw lag reduced, Ike/Bowser/Diddy have had animation based tweaks, Ike/DK/etc has had speed up (dash attack/fair) and auto cancels given (fair), they've made sword hitbox adjustments on MK and Shulk [IIRC] to help match animations.
Either or, doesn't matter, he's getting stronger.

Ramin was one of the best Brawl Marth's fyi, top 8 at apex/etc. Brawl Marth and Smash4 aren't that different, I doubt Ramin would've been that inadequate in the "match up". What got him was clutch tipper forward smashes*, stuff that I doubt someone of Ramin's calibur will have work on a player basis more than once (Nicko in socal had a close set with ramin 2-1 in the past too).

* and this is why it's so dangerous to buff this character the way they have been (I mean the current stuff isn't breaking him nor would it break him if other things got touched). Perhaps they'll look at him structurally more next patch as they've done a few "sweeping" buffs with him thus far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom