• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Luigi's upB stronger than rest?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I was wondering, rest got nerfed, but luigi's upB didn't. Does that mean it's stronger than rest is? I've seen it kill at pretty low percents. One killed me on jungle japes (has a high ceiling) at a little over 50%. It was out of his negative zone, though, so maybe it becomes stronger?

What do you guys think?

Trozz

Smash Ace
Fact: Luigi's up-b is better than rest. It kills earlier and leaves you less open to counter attack.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Fact: Luigi's up-b is harder to hit with than rest, however, it also has less risk. Luigi has no move that can set up his up-b, while Jigglypuff has many to set up rest.

it is stronger and leaves you less open, but it still leaves you open for any smash attack. Rest is easier to hit with but Luigi's is stronger. Take your pick.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
up b on the ground i think kills most people around 40%, in the air its more like 80%, but anyways, rest is a lot easier to land than rocket punch is.

Glick

Smash Lord
Fact: Luigi's up-b is harder to hit with than rest, however, it also has less risk. Luigi has no move that can set up his up-b, while Jigglypuff has many to set up rest.

it is stronger and leaves you less open, but it still leaves you open for any smash attack. Rest is easier to hit with but Luigi's is stronger. Take your pick.
Are you kidding?
Luigi has many setups.

Jab Jab Uppercut is ****.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Haha I hope this is a joke.

1. Jab-Jab Uppercut
2. Dtilt=Trip-*** Uppercut (My Favorite)
3. Jump+Down Dodge cancel-Jab Uppercut
4. And of course someone whiffs an attack=Jab Uppercut punishment

These are the most common

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Ah, that's what I thought. Personally it makes absolutely no sense to me. Jigglypuff doesn't always need a setup, too. She can just jump in for a rest if an opponent misses with any sort of committed move. Her aerial speed makes this pretty easy. Luigi's "set-up's" are way too easy to escape using DI or by just being too high percent and sometimes rely on luck.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord

This = most uninformed post in this thread. Go watch some good Luigi vids (void), and you'll find out that Luigi's up B is a lot easier to set up than rest. And it does kill at lower percentages. I've always mained Luigi, but Jiggs was my second for 6 years playing melee, and there is no way rest is as good as the uppercut now... Jiggs sucks so hardcore in brawl I dropped her altogether... it makes me sad :(

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Well without Lcancelling alot of charcters have a lot of laggy moves so you can easily get in a rest or UBERpunch. Luigis setups might not be legit combos but theyre quick and your opponent wont see it coming so most of the time it works

P.S LuigiKing wins the avatar competition!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This = most uninformed post in this thread. Go watch some good Luigi vids (void), and you'll find out that Luigi's up B is a lot easier to set up than rest. And it does kill at lower percentages. I've always mained Luigi, but Jiggs was my second for 6 years playing melee, and there is no way rest is as good as the uppercut now... Jiggs sucks so hardcore in brawl I dropped her altogether... it makes me sad :(
Why is that the most uninformed post in the thread. I have played some decent Luigi's and have watched some Luigi videos and Uppercut is much harder to set-up than rest. Dair to rest is much better than jab-jab uppercut (its called a DI). I haven't faced the trip one but it sounds too easy to tech away or tech neutral, which should neutralize or avoid the uppercut and leave Luigi very vulnerable. Also, whenever someone misses a laggy move you should punish them, like Lucas's U-smash, but thats why you don't do that against Luigi or Jigglypuff. When I said no move that can setup Uppercut, I meant no real setup. Its tooo easy to DI avoid the jab-jab and jump up, fall down, avoid uppercut is pathetic. Thats just saying you have no setup and is equivalent to a spot dodge uppercut.

Meanwhile, dair to rest can only be di-ed out of, and is fairly easy to setup. Maybe not as easy as jab-jab, but at least it hits when you do the move. And if you try a spot-dodge Uppercut, unless if its a really laggy move, you run a high risk of a shield popping up, which is even higher if you decide to foolishly jump and then try to avoid stuff in the air. Saying that I have the most uninformed post is ignorance.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Luigi's Up-B send at a near vertical angle doesn't it? Wouldn't that make it easier to KO with since there's less distance to travel (assuming the Rest was done in the center of the stage) and harder to DI (not like the moves are easy to DI if they land).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well besides LuigiKing's gender change, sure those uppercut set-ups can be DI'd but as mentioned, it's hard to predict. It's also good to punish laggy attacks. Oh and another thing, if you trip someone, the uppercut is a sure thing. There's a moment where your just sitting on your @$$ and can't move...the uppercut will come quick enough before you can escape.

Top Bottom