• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Lucario over powered, or broken?

verditude

Smash Journeyman
He isn't really overpowered, no. He's not bad though, if I had to predict, I'd say mid-high tier.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Why? Are you gonna use only those who are really good? I... don't like those kind of people.

No, Lucario is not overpowered. He's... a very unique fighter. A bit floaty and a bit tricky.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
Does it matter? You just trying to find someone who is cheap? Just choose your favorite character without even thinking about whether than character is "good" or not. Then, YOU MAKE that character good.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
He's balanced enough that he isn't overpowered or broken. His learning curve is higher than some other characters, though.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
In that case, Lucario isn't a cheap character either because his abilities can only be best exploited when he's taken enough damage and they are tricky enough that you have to literally learn how to use his attacks compared to other characters.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is definitely not a "broken" or "overpowered" character. He seems like a very situational character, very dependant on who you are fighting. Why? Because the more damage he has taken, the more damage and knockback his attacks do and the faster his Aura Sphere charges. So if you are playing against a character who needs to build a lot of damage to get a kill (Sheik, Pit, metaknight, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy, etc), he is solid. If you are playing someone who can easily score a kill under 100% (Zelda, Gannon, Bowser, Dedede, etc), he's in trouble.

seamus

Smash Rookie
he doesn't look overpowered at all. Brawl looks fairly balanced. Who wins in a 1v1 match is mostly going to depend on how well you know your character and how well you know your enemy. characters have advantages and weaknesses compared to others, but in the end skill and knowledge should prevail.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Id say hes solid. not broken at all, but definately viable. good priority on all his attacks is his selling point. his throws are pretty good too.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
He isn't overpowered at all. He can't keep up with the top characters of the game. But that doesn't mean he will be bottom tier either. I'd say middle tier suits him best.

Kiro13

Smash Cadet
Lucario is a cool character to play with as long as you know what your doing though there is one thing I needed to make sure about was that if Lucario's Extreme Speed (His Up + B Tech) can actually hurt people or does it just pass through people when its being used?

Kyune

Smash Rookie
Straight through, which is somewhat regrettable. But, you can steer it to the point where he's one of the few character who don't need to panic too much if they get stuck under the ledge.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Even with his damage multipliers, Lucario is still very weak when it comes to attacking and KOing and his smash attacks are slow and weak. He actually seems like a poor character at first, but his strengths lie in other areas, such as having rather subtly good statistics in his dodge, sheild traction and aerial control ability.

But he's CERTAINLY not overpowered. In fact he's going to be very tricky to play and will struggle against high tier opponents unless the player knows exactly what he's doing. Lucario cannot just fight on reaction, he has to be methodical.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
ill be the odd man out and say it. i dont think he's that good at all lol. he can double fair which is a nice trait but his learning curve is STEEP. so steep infact that you'd have to really dedicate urself to this character and the end result doesn't look like it's gonna have a huge payoff. there will be good lucarios, but they will lose to many other good players. he took mewtwos spot for that too lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Compared to Mewtwo, Lucario has more effective smash attacks. It's one of my favorite characters in the game (along with Mario and Sonic of course).

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
lucario has one hell of a steep learning curve. The basic strat with him is to use his dair whenever it will work. Besides his dair he has very few awesome moves imo. He has his utilt, the aura sphere, and his fair. He also has some good throws for damage, but not for killing unless you're on a walkoff stage. His smashes are slow, he is slow, but at least he takes advantage of his floatiness against other characters that struggle with KOs and laughs at them. Frankly, once he reaches 95% i find him to be amazing.

tl;dr- poor knockback, awesome priority, slow, steep learning curve, fun, high mid tier

-haven't used his >b much, but im going to look at it some more

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
The Aura is destroying your nerves?

I actually want to main Lucario now, I used to be a nice high-damage player :/

Rayku

Smash Lord
I knew I was going to main Lucario before he was even announced playable. It's been said before, but yeah, just pick a character you like and make him good. I think Lucario has amazing potential, honestly.

blindguardian667

Smash Rookie
yeah lucario isn't overpowered, but his defense is pretty good. He's more of a defensive type to me, considering i'm trying to main him.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
yeah lucario isn't overpowered, but his defense is pretty good. He's more of a defensive type to me, considering i'm trying to main him.
This is Brawl. EVERY character will fell like a defensive type once you learn to use them since Brawl is a very defense oriented game.
Offensive strategies get you punished and so you will gravitate towards defensive play with whichever character you choose.

On topic though, I lol at the notion that Lucario is over-powered. I honestly wish he were a lot stronger. He seems to suffer from the lack of KO power that so many other characters do in this game.

Micahc

Smash Ace
This is Brawl. EVERY character will fell like a defensive type once you learn to use them since Brawl is a very defense oriented game.
Offensive strategies get you punished and so you will gravitate towards defensive play with whichever character you choose.
I actually play the game very offensively and I do pretty well.

Lucario's pretty good, SH double fairs is fun, and he can combo fairly well. But he gets killed easier than most IMO.

xCheeZe

Smash Rookie
i consider myself a pretty offensive lucario player, while alot of people expect a defensive lucario user, somone who plays offensivly and knows exactly what they are doing can do VERY well. plenty of combos, edge guarding techniques, aerial game and KO ability, the trick is knowing what your doing.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
i consider myself a pretty offensive lucario player, while alot of people expect a defensive lucario user, somone who plays offensivly and knows exactly what they are doing can do VERY well. plenty of combos, edge guarding techniques, aerial game and KO ability, the trick is knowing what your doing.
Why don't you post some videos?

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Right...XD

*shakes head*
I hate it when people have a different screen name. It confuses me.

xCheeZe stop confusing me!! *pouts*

By the way your aggressiveness did work. I would like to see that style played with other opponents, because the Dedede was also aggressive (which is also odd).

xCheeZe

Smash Rookie
ya i used to game by the name Cheezex / xCheeze and recently say 3 months ago (after my boards account was made) changed it to Dect. Currently planning on going to that rochester tourny on saturday unless freddyp flakes on me (he has the car) so hopefully more footage :).

Top Bottom