• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Link Really Considered Mid-Tier?

Sarix

Smash Ace
Lately I've been playing around with wavebouncing arrows and the boomerang to see where I can use it in my zoning game. I still need to master Short Hop Double Bomb though, that creates some silly pressure.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
I've had friends say that Ness is OP. People who suck use OP as an excuse for getting their asses handed to them.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I've had friends say that Ness is OP. People who suck use OP as an excuse for getting their ***** handed to them.
If your friends like to sit and shield and not actively dodging aerials and PK Fires I can see that. Especially if they don't SDI. PK Fire -> PK Fire, Repeat!

Also, Oli and MK respectively in brawl.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to get to some locals but I just got home from college and I've been really sick. :/ I'll probably make it out next week to xanadu.

Fortress

Smash Master
I'd love to make it to something like Xanadu, but if I were any further away from anything in the country, I'd probably be closer.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Bomb punting also has use in zoning since its bounce trajectory lets it cover a lot of space especially in tandem with an arrow or the boomerang. The best time to use it is when you know you have the space to perform it without being punished.

Wavedash has too many utilities to list despite Link having the 2nd shortest one in the game. DACUS is good to mix-up your approach with and is fantastic combo filler for Link that allows him to follow up moves that he normally couldn't. AGT is an air dash and a free 3rd jump basically, so its uses should be a bit more obvious.
Is it SERIOUSLY the second shortest in the game?

....Why?

Fortress

Smash Master
Well, technically Yoshi can't wavedash. So, if his shield physics remain the same, Link could be third. But, I swear that Jigglypuff, Zelda, Bowser, and Peach all have shorter WD's than Link.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Well, technically Yoshi can't wavedash. So, if his shield physics remain the same, Link could be third. But, I swear that Jigglypuff, Zelda, Bowser, and Peach all have shorter WD's than Link.
? Yoshi can wavedash, just not Out of Shield (given same properties as Melee)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Is it SERIOUSLY the second shortest in the game?

....Why?

Why not? Someone has to have the 2nd shortest lol. Changing it would require changing his physics which most people probably wouldn't want.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Why not? Someone has to have the 2nd shortest lol. Changing it would require changing his physics which most people probably wouldn't want.
But Link though? What did he do or what does he have to deserve having such an abysmal wavedash?

Fortress

Smash Master
Nothing. His physics just warrant it. To change up his wavedash would require changing everything else; run speeds, fall speeds, jump heights, friction, and all of that. Besides, his great DACUS and zoning game more than make up for it, and I think his F-smash would be ***** out of a wavedash, personally. When you talk good WD moves, you're wanting something that has one hit, and hits hard. Link's smashes all hit multiple times, most of them weak until the final hit. Besides, Link gets some great distance and speed from his DACUS, more than most characters gain from their WD, anyway.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Outside of his wave dash Link has plenty of usable mobility options to make up for the short distance it has. The ability to constantly AGT as well as wave bouncing the boomerang and arrows both allow Link to take advantage of his air speed along with DACUS to give him a sudden burst of ground speed.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Don't feel stupid haha. It's a technique that isn't brought up much. With Link basically you Jump Forward/Backward > Bow/Boomerang > Instantly press backwards. The effect will make Link reverse the momentum of his jump and face the opposite way to move with the bow or boomerang. This can used for approaching or retreating boomerang throws or arrow shots that take advantage of Link's air speed.

I hope that properly explains it. If I'm wrong someone can correct me.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Don't feel stupid haha. It's a technique that isn't brought up much. With Link basically you Jump Forward/Backward > Bow/Boomerang > Instantly press backwards. The effect will make Link reverse the momentum of his jump and face the opposite way to move with the bow or boomerang. This can used for approaching or retreating boomerang throws or arrow shots that take advantage of Link's air speed.

I hope that properly explains it. If I'm wrong someone can correct me.
That's B-reversing I think. Wavebouncing is different.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Yeah I believe I confused it for something else so I looked it up again. Basically it allows Link to quickly alter his air momentum to throw the boomerang but move backwards in the air. It's performed by: Jumping Forward > Backward Boomerang then smash the Joystick forward. To get down the timing for the boomerang to forward transition I've been practicing immediately flicking to the opposite side after inputting Side B. It's also applicable to arrows but trickier to time. The wave bounce gives Link a way to throw the boomerang while retreating so he doesn't get punished.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wavebounce shouldn't be a term really. Double b-reverse or Turn around B-reverse is more accurate.

A normal B-reverse reverses your momentum with b moves by pressing the b move first and then smashing the control stick the opposite direction as opposed to a turn around which just fires the opposite direction and requires you to press backwards first. A double b-reverse is cancelling your forward momentum and moving backwards slightly in the air while still firing the projectile forwards and is done by b-reversing a turn around projectile.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I really don't care about his WD length. Even if I wish it wasn't abysmal because WD is fun. I was just asking, really.

I find it hilarious how characters like Dedede and Wario both run faster and WD further than Link?

But dat air speed is pretty good, no?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Wavebounce shouldn't be a term really. Double b-reverse or Turn around B-reverse is more accurate.

A normal B-reverse reverses your momentum with b moves by pressing the b move first and then smashing the control stick the opposite direction as opposed to a turn around which just fires the opposite direction and requires you to press backwards first. A double b-reverse is cancelling your forward momentum and moving backwards slightly in the air while still firing the projectile forwards and is done by b-reversing a turn around projectile.
I thought there was a way to shoot forward while moving forward, with like, PK Fire.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I'll admit that I'm no pro at P:M, but I do go to bimonthly tournaments in my area and place relatively high (2-4 out of 20) with Link every time. On top of that, since I've started going, the first place winner is ALWAYS a Link player. He just outplays me and all of the other people that go, including high-pressure characters like Fox, Falco, and Shiek. I've given up on Link, not because he's become awful, but because all of my friends complain that he's OP as *** after I wipe the floor with them. Their main issues with Link are projectile abuse and spin attack. Are my friends just awful with their characters? Because everyone on this character discussion page is sure making it sound that way.
Hi, I'm thr Link from Arcade Odyssey you mentioned. I feel like Link is high-mid. He has the tools to win, but has a hard time with the best characters, asuming they know the match-up.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Hi, I'm thr Link from Arcade Odyssey you mentioned. I feel like Link is high-mid. He has the tools to win, but has a hard time with the best characters, asuming they know the match-up.
Yeah, he's probably one of the most versatile characters, but doesn't seem to handle rushdown characters very well.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
After putting in quite a bit of practice with projectile work with Toon Link in brawl, i find this Link is a beast.You guys aren't the only ones hearing cries of OP from your casual friends. Basically, my friends complain about Links projectiles being "too fast" and that they can't get through them.
This makes me giggle, as my favourite part of playing link is projectile mixups/ combo-ing off projectiles. I am a particular fan of short hop>rang>Charged Arrow> Throw pre pulled bomb and then close in accordingly. (Even though I know it's risky, Link's running smash is hella fun)
I kind of ask for it though. My friends can't wave-anything and I'm fairly certain they don't L-cancel, so I shouldn't expect much.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'll admit that I'm no pro at P:M, but I do go to bimonthly tournaments in my area and place relatively high (2-4 out of 20) with Link every time. On top of that, since I've started going, the first place winner is ALWAYS a Link player. He just outplays me and all of the other people that go, including high-pressure characters like Fox, Falco, and Shiek. I've given up on Link, not because he's become awful, but because all of my friends complain that he's OP as *** after I wipe the floor with them. Their main issues with Link are projectile abuse and spin attack. Are my friends just awful with their characters? Because everyone on this character discussion page is sure making it sound that way.
This is what happens between my friends and I. I typically sweep with Link every time, and I like to think we're evenly matched players.

I mean, I'm not really complaining because being a life-long Link main I've been oh-so-challenged and now it seems I have the upper hand. However, I hope my upper hand is my skill and not by tier.

D

Deleted member

pretty much this.

the reason why link isn't above mid tier is his problem with pressure and no reliable way to gimp at low %s

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I would have to say that personally, I see Link within the top 10, in the high/top tiers. Link has had very extenuating buffs that give him rather tremendous results if played correctly.

Top Bottom