• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Kirby tournament viable?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I have seen very little Kirby action in tournaments and videos as of late (The most recent one I saw had a Kirby being edgegaurd gimped by a Wolf O_o). This is making me wonder. Despite the buffs, is Kirby still on his way to lower tiers? I honestly see no good Kirby matches recently. And everyone in my area sucks. So I have to wonder.

Please discuss. Apologies if their is a similar thread.

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
there is just a few Kirby mains, and even less Kirby pros. Kirby will be in tournaments, just not sure how common tournament level Kirby players will be.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
*laughs* the Link section just made a topic like this.

But yeah, I only saw one Kirby in a video. And I already stated he got edge guarded by a Wolf.

Also, anyone hear from T!mmy? I've heard nothing.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
After playing with a good Kirby main online a few times not only do I think Kirby will be in most future tournaments but will be mid to high tier!

Kirby has also won my respect as a character in smash

Reioumu

Smash Lord
I go to Chu's house for the biweeklies and I play Kirby. I beat Plank's Zelda with him and some Ike player in tournament. I think he's going to be middish this time around, but he's really fun. Gonzo showed me a GREAT combo against Wolf with Kirby from 0-57. I'm currently looking over all combos against other characters with the little pink puffball ;D

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
A Kirby main where I live placed 2nd (out of 62 people!) at a tourney, beating Pikachus, MKs, Ikes, the usual. Lost 1st to a G&W. KIRBYKIDS TOO GOOD

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I go to Chu's house for the biweeklies and I play Kirby. I beat Plank's Zelda with him and some Ike player in tournament. I think he's going to be middish this time around, but he's really fun. Gonzo showed me a GREAT combo against Wolf with Kirby from 0-57. I'm currently looking over all combos against other characters with the little pink puffball ;D
Nice, so plank still plays smash huh? I learned everything I know about Sheik from him back in the day of melee. I even fought him once in a tournament back when I was still learning, of course I got crush but still it's good to hear he still plays.

...You said Zelda, has he gone to the dark side and forsake Sheik like so many others?

Hostility

Smash Ace
KoSk, a norcal kirby player has been placing pretty well in norcal tournaments. So I would say that kirby is tournament viable

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
On Gamebattles theres 2 Kirbies up there in the rankings, t!mmy and SD. I played SD and went 2-1(He won), hes quite good, but then school kicked in so I havent been back since.

Also, Ive played in 2 smash tournaments as kirby and won 1 and came in 2nd in the other, I was one of 2 kirbies in both, the other kirby got 2nd in the one I won and 6th in the one I got second, both consisting of a pool of ~40-50 players.

While those examples arent "pro" tournaments like I assume you were asking, some of these guys are really good and I was able to take them down with Kirby. I def. think he'll see some tournament play, just probably not much since he most likely has a smaller fanbase then other characters and isnt too high up on the theoretical tier lists.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
just wondering how the hell did kirby get gimp killed by wolf
That should not be possible in the slighest, in fact it should b the reverse
metaXzero I just think you've only seen bad kirby's
IMO kirby is too good

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
I would definitely say kirby is tournament viable in my opinion because he's a really balanced character. Unlike my other main, dedede, there doesn't really seem to be any particular characters that have a huge advantage over kirby, so by using him you don't have to worry about who you're getting matched up with as he has a pretty good chance against almost every character. I need to start going to some tournaments though. Altho at this point dedede is quickly approaching and attempting to take away kirby's spot as my #1 main. :o he's just too **** fun xD

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is tournament viable. Any character is tourney viable seeing as this game is rather well balanced (Even bowser despite how freakin huge of a target he is, though his attacks are better in this game), though you'll definetely see some characters more than others (Marth for example). But yeah there's not enough Kirby video's out there, the Kirby video section is practically dead =/=, of course though not everyone has recording equipment or a capture card.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Well all that is nice to know. I just wish their were more Kirby videos. And I don't ever want to see a space animal edge gimp Kirby again (it was horrifying!!).

I have brought that up way to many times.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
A Kirby main just won the Smash tournament in an international anime convention held in my college.

Just throwing it out there.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
I won a small college Brawl tourny with Kirby (around 15 entrants). Although it was madness the way they ran it- items on, all stages, and multiple people in each round with the final being a four-man Brawl (since we only had one Wii and time restraints). Plus since Brawl isn't out here yet most people there didn't know how to play the characters.

But ya know what? I won twenty euro and Kirby won a tournament.:bee:

I really hope he gets in at least mid-tier this time round, it'd do my heart good to see Kirby stand up against the big characters.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
kirby is very viable again. reminds me of when i used to play smash 64 and own with kirby. a lot of characters got worse but kirby got better!

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is tournament viable. Any character is tourney viable seeing as this game is rather well balanced (Even bowser despite how freakin huge of a target he is, though his attacks are better in this game), though you'll definetely see some characters more than others (Marth for example). But yeah there's not enough Kirby video's out there, the Kirby video section is practically dead =/=, of course though not everyone has recording equipment or a capture card.
I think we should pitch in to the "Kirby Film Class" fund to buy us a capture card. Someone will have to hold the donations, any volunteers for Treasury?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Nice, so plank still plays smash huh? I learned everything I know about Sheik from him back in the day of melee. I even fought him once in a tournament back when I was still learning, of course I got crush but still it's good to hear he still plays.

...You said Zelda, has he gone to the dark side and forsake Sheik like so many others?
NEVARRRR, he didnt include that i used sheik the other 2 matches to win the tournament set =)

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I think we should pitch in to the "Kirby Film Class" fund to buy us a capture card. Someone will have to hold the donations, any volunteers for Treasury?
I have a capture card, but my PC sucks. The most I can get is horrible 320x240 video. If my PC was faster I could record higher quality stuff... :(

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have seen these AMAZING kirbies in competitive smashing. I mean... Just WOW. I used to use him in SSB, then he was my 3rd fave in SSBM... I think hes gonna make it to my 2nd fave in SSBB cuz of the unreal moves and combos i saw wih the kirby users. Once you get Kirby's attacks timed, my god... LOL I was laughing out loud in the tournament where i saw him. He owned HDL (PR's #1) and had 2 stock left (out of a 3-stock match) in one of the rounds, and HDL was using MK! I literally had to get out of there and buy a bottle of water in which to bring me back to reality and digest what had happened, for i have never seen a kirby used as amazing as that...

... So, in conclusion... Yes, kirby is tourney-acceptable. Might even make it to high-tier, like someone else said before me!

chaos 9

Smash Cadet
let me start by saying that i am not a pro or anywhere close at brawl. but my friend (who is worse than me) spams kirby and has no second. he is a noob but he can win somtimes. its annoying. I think that kirby will be tourney viable because if noobs can get some wins, the pros can expand new hights.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
chaos, I don't think that's a very good reason as to why Kirby would (or wouldn't) be tourney-accepted... Anyone can grab a character and use it without skill and get some licks in, even the noobs! Saying that since a friend of yours (who is a "noob" according to you yourself) managed to beat you a few times won't really show Kirby's potential... Heck, I've seen people KO others with ALL characters... Does that mean they're all tourney-accepted? Some will always do better than others, and some will not...

But you must realize that absolutely every character has the ability to KO. So, uhh... Just because one of them can KO doesn't mean it's an amazing character. o_o

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
hey, guys, so i went to that tourney. 49 teams entered and there were 127 entrants!!!

i got 4th place in teams. my kirby and my teammate's hungrybox, DDD. i got 17th place out of 127 people. there was a kirby in 9th place. and 2 other kirbys who got 13th and 25th. pretty decent considering the amount of people there.

-hiro

Top Bottom