• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Jigglypuff a Super Smash Bros. rep more than a Pokémon rep?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
An argument I keep hearing against Jigglypuff is that she's not important to the Pokémon series anymore – the anime or the games. Even a type reassignment didn't help her relevance at all.

But we couldn't bear to get rid of her, because she is important to this series as one of the first characters.

So do you think she's more of a Super Smash Bros. character than she is a Pokémon character?

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
An argument I keep hearing against Jigglypuff is that she's not important to the Pokémon series anymore – the anime or the games. Even a type reassignment didn't help her relevance at all.

But we couldn't bear to get rid of her, because she is important to this series as one of the first characters.

So do you think she's more of a Super Smash Bros. character than she is a Pokémon character?
Yes, and no...but I am bias.

Competitive wigglytuff user salutes this thread.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Not at all, I didn't want her in because she is irrelevant in pokemon now, being from the oldest generation and as you said, even the new type didn't help her there, and she was important to the anime for a very brief time if you even consider her important then. But I can respect her making it back thanks to being one of the originals.

But she's still more of a Pokemon rep than a Smash rep, unlike Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
She's both, she deserves her spot in both the Pokemon series and the Smash series for being one of the originals in both franchises.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'd say so. Sometimes I forget she's even from Pokemon.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Based on how Jigglypuff gets all the female costumes compared to Pika who always has a male tail and has male costumes, I'm inclined to believe that Jigglypuff is the Female Rep of the Pokemon Franchise, and will always contrast Pikachu as the cute un-evolved character that is the gender opposite.

Its just shes always going to be paired with pikachu

We have

Mario and Luigi
Pikachu and Jigglypuff
Fox and Falco

I think pairs like those will forever be in the smash series as long as Sakurai is the one directing it.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
She had a huge legacy that makes her very memorable and iconic as a Pokemon, regardless if she isn't "important" to the series anymore. Actually, has she ever? The anime was the only thing she had going for (which is a pretty significant thing, mind you), otherwise she's just like every other Pokemon. Well one that you could catch before the national dex in every generation. Either way her game status hasn't changed, but she's popular enough even now thanks to her prime days.

As much as it pains me as an F-Zero fan, you have Captain Falcon on the other hand...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Based on how Jigglypuff gets all the female costumes compared to Pika who always has a male tail and has male costumes, I'm inclined to believe that Jigglypuff is the Female Rep of the Pokemon Franchise, and will always contrast Pikachu as the cute un-evolved character that is the gender opposite.

Its just shes always going to be paired with pikachu

We have

Mario and Luigi
Pikachu and Jigglypuff
Fox and Falco

I think pairs like those will forever be in the smash series as long as Sakurai is the one directing it.
Jigglypuff is the female Kirby, not the female Pikachu.
(I keed, I keed).:4jigglypuff:

As for the original post, I do not believe that she is more of a Smash Brothers representative than a Pokemon representative. Jigglypuff still asserts her dominance over another 600-700 Pokemon. She might not be as relevant as she once was, but the type alteration to "Fairy" and her appearance in almost every Pokemon game to date contradict the popular opinion that she is not relevant enough. She is more relevant than *insert your favorite Pokemon or cool movie legendary Pokemon here.* The only inherent difference from Smash 64 to Smash 4 is that she no longer appears in the anime.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
When talking Jigglypuff it's usually always about her appearance as a Smash character or her old role in the anime, so in a sense I see where the idea comes from. However unlike Captain Falcon she does still make appearances outside of Smash, so I'd still say she's more of a Pokémon rep, she's just more obscure than the other Pokés.

Personally I started to like her as a Pokémon first and a Smash character afterwards.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
She sorta kinda almost got a little bit a relevancy recently by being retyped to fairy... right? riiight?

At any rate, I'm surprised more people don't bring up Sheik in terms characters that are far more relevant in Smash than anywhere else.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
She sorta kinda almost got a little bit a relevancy recently by being retyped to fairy... right? riiight?

At any rate, I'm surprised more people don't bring up Sheik in terms characters that are far more relevant in Smash than anywhere else.
Hyrule warriors made her relevant again, and she was very relevant in OoT. Jiggly just never was all that relevant in the first place aside from being a pokemon :/

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff is just a fun character in all of its appearances. In my opinion, Jiggly represents the sillier, less serious side of Smash Bros. While a few people might despise playing as it, not seeing it on the roster would just feel... Wrong.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I will run a team of 6 eviolite jigglypuff's just try and stop me

Top Bottom