• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth it?

R.O.B.TheROCKbot

Smash Rookie
I've been having a good bit of trouble landing the fair/bair. It's so much harder to time than it was in melee. The thing is, if you miss it, a lot of the time you'll get slapped around for having tried it. So my thought is...is it even worth doing it? I mean, it's **** satisfying, but it seems like one of those advanced techniques you do just to look cool but aren't actually at all effective.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Oh hell, it's definitely worth it. Sure you might get punished, but if it does connect it gives them a good fly back that just hurts like all hell. Connecting with the bair is easier than the fair, and it pays out a bit more than the fair too, so if you can, start trying to connect more with that. But really, it's just a thing that over time you start to connect more and more.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I agree that it is definitely worth it! Personally, I'm still practicing it a bit more but I feel that using the c-stick is more helpful than using a. I tried practicing in training against a Bowser and progressively moved to a smaller character till I got used to the distance of the hit.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I try to be very patient when trying to land fair/bair, wait for the right moment. Zelda has more options this time around than fair/bair. All her smashes, tilts(except. d-tilt), and aerials can kill.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
I find that when the enemy is in a place to get hit with F/B air, the only other moves that will be worthwhile are N air and N Special, so why not try for the sweet spots on F/B Air anyways?

xNinjaOfChaosx

Smash Rookie
It's always worth landing it, even if you've diminished its power by spamming it and failing to sweetspot.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I've been having a good bit of trouble landing the fair/bair. It's so much harder to time than it was in melee. The thing is, if you miss it, a lot of the time you'll get slapped around for having tried it. So my thought is...is it even worth doing it? I mean, it's **** satisfying, but it seems like one of those advanced techniques you do just to look cool but aren't actually at all effective.
It has to be worth it. Lightning foot heel is the power move that Zelda's enemies live in fear of. If you aren't able to lay the justice down, you lose significant power in the match. Threat of power is all that makes mindgames work.

Come to think of it, how come no one has made a Captain Falcon-style following of Zelda's lightning shoes? I guess it's because we're less brazen (and dang it, there's empirical certainty if there ever was any that Zelda appeals to the "atypical gender" demographic, so I don't think "manly man" humor, in any form, would unify an association of Zelda fans.)

. . . [/theorizing beyond my ken]

[on-topic]
AAAAAAnyway,

You have to put that out there. Although, one thing I have to say about Zelda users I've seen is they jump and fair too much, like they're frickin' Marth or Wolf or something. Zelda isn't supposed to be frantic like that, IMO and as I am trying to show with my own Zelda development. Your power is strongest when you are on the ground, and you calmly meet your opponent's attack by being right where you want to be. And Din's spam when he gets antsy!

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
To practice my kicks i just would go into training mode and put him on evade. And just spam lightning kicks. You might not think it helps but you will realize it does.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
I'm telling all of you: Learning to sweetspot the fair and bairs super important. But then most of you already know. :)

I've been practising the timing against CPUs that are standing still in Training (I think I'm going to try and put the CPU on different things when I train it in the future) and that has helped me a lot with my ability to land it. It's become more natural now, and is like a reflex in my game now. If I see an opportunity to sweetspot, I land it with high accuracy.

If you're good at landing it, it can make your opponent feel a lot of pressure, making him change strategy in approaching. Yesterday I had a tourney game against a Wolf and Wario player who's at least a level higher than me, but thanks to me landing 7-8 sweetspots in our 2nd and 3rd match, I managed to take a lead with 2-1 against this guy who I like usually merely win like every 10th game. Much of this was thanks to me landing my sweetspots. This caused him to change strategy which defended him from my sweetspots, so I ended up losing, but that just means I've got things to work on, not that it's the fair or bair's fault.

So yes, it's definately worth it.

TWK?

Smash Cadet
Always worth it, probably a bit more than worth it. See the final kill on Falco in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=gJoYIPPIYtk , sweetspotted kicks are so punishing and can lead your opponent to make many errors just because it hits so hard (that freeze-frame has mindgames built in I swear!!! Let's them think about how much it hurts for a second before tossing them away :p). As you can see, several Fairs and Bairs in a relatively short amount of time can destroy your opponent's game.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
The move is definitely worth it, if nothing else, for the demoralizing 'PSSSKKKKQQQTTTT' sound it makes.

It means 'Whos your daddy?' in Swahili.

S2

Smash Lord
As you get better at the game and playing Zelda specifically, you'll get a better eye for when you can f/b-air with a guranteed hit.

It's hard to learn though, and I'll admit that I am not that good at sweetspotting it, so I don't abuse it as much as others do. I probably don't try enough, at least if you miss all the time you're learning when NOT to do it.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
From what ive found, f-air and b-air isnt something thats directly traineable. It's more of something you pick up while playing freely. Id go as far as to say that it's more of a 'spur of the moment' attack (a least they always hit when i use them in these situations).

I wouldnt worry if you cant pick it up fast. I could never land them when i got brawl, but im landing alot more now than i used to (i mean i dont use them often though, but when i do they generally tend to hit a majority of the time).

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Here is the truth:

#1 B-Air is Zeldas' best killing move
#2 F-Air is Zelda's second best killing move

This applies to both heavyweights and to lightweights.
So... YES it is worth it to learn these.

Hopefully with these two facts in mind, you should agree that it's worth it, right?
If you're not very good, then start off with the bigger characters.

Don't attempt this on someone like metaknight yet.. he is small and fast.
If you ever fight a snake, YES GOD YES use them. He is big and heavy and tall.

Snake is heavier than a sack of bricks, and falls just as quickly, so good luck trying to kill him vertically. You need the kicks to send him off sideways instead.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I've found some characters are very difficult to kill with any of Zelda's moves besides the heel. Mainly Lucas.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Yeah, you use your smash attacks (specifically dsmash) on the shorties like Ness and Kirby. For Snake-sized and up, it's the lightning kick all the way.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I think it is only worth it if you are fighting someone like Ganondorf who is big. Any smaller and it will most likely make you eat a smash attack. If the timing can be mastered though and you tend to hit with it most of the time you throw it out there then I think you should use it often.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I rarely use it when I fight small characters, but I spam it when dealing with large characters like Dedede. When dealing with medium-small characters, I only use fair/bair when I have a feeling it will sweetspot, otherwise I use other moves.

Top Bottom