• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible...?

kratosaurion2007

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else think that this is Sakurai's last Smash game? I know this is looking way into the future and I'm presenting a dismal and potentially sad concept here, but with the things that led up to Brawl's creation, it seems like he wouldn't want to do the next one, as long as the series gets put in good hands (like his Kirby series).

He left Hal Labratories for two main reasons:
1. Not much support for Air Ride
2. He was disgusted with the sequelization of the industry

Going on that, do you think the reason he is taking more time to perfect the game is because he wants Brawl to be his proverbial swan song, a smash to end all smash, a game to play for decades and decades without ever WANTING a sequel?

This is all just pure speculation. I wanted some feedback on the topic.

Cog

Smash Apprentice
I'm diffenetly hoping this wont be his last game, because in the future many years from now, when nintendo does another system, SSB will have to return in some shape or form, to just dominate all other games.
Also, if there is expansions or whatever to brawl after a while, then I'm hoping he has some part in those as well.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I guess the point you said about "needing more time to develop Brawl" might prove that Brawl indeed might be his last, but not exactly the end of smash

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
This may be Sakurai's last Smash Bros., especially since he seems to be trying to outdo himself in every direction possible, it'd almost be hard to top. However, I do believe that Nintendo will bring it back, even if not for a while. After all, this is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises, a Kingdom Hearts as you will of the Nintendo franchises.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Does anyone else think that this is Sakurai's last Smash game? I know this is looking way into the future and I'm presenting a dismal and potentially sad concept here, but with the things that led up to Brawl's creation, it seems like he wouldn't want to do the next one, as long as the series gets put in good hands (like his Kirby series).

Going on that, do you think the reason he is taking more time to perfect the game is because he wants Brawl to be his proverbial swan song, a smash to end all smash, a game to play for decades and decades without ever WANTING a sequel?

This in all likelihood is sakurai's last smash. Though I doubt it will be thee last smash. I can almost guarantee that as long as Nintendo releases a next gen system a smash will come with it.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
It's seems very possible for it to be the last of the series, and it will make alot of sense if it ends up like that, so if I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up for another one.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
Possibly, yes, it is his final game

the first reason, it is because once brawl is released, he will never have to worry about money again, right?

the second, he is not exactly very good, otherwise, kirby's air ride would be an amazing success much like melee, since I just saw it, and is basically exactly the same (multiplayer or versus battles, and the EXACT SAME INTERFACE) so, any future game he could probably do, won't be as good as this, not even near.

third, as much as I hate to admit it, the way we play is about to dissapear. Maybe not exactly with failing motion sensor controls, but somehow, today's games wont be effective for the next gen of consoles. so, a new smash, in the way we know it, wont' happen. Dreaming of a new smash similar to melee or brawl, its hoping for de-evolution. In a weird analogy, think of this : when pong or pacman were released, the whole world was shocked by the amazing stuff it was. 10 years later, the technology had advanced so much that these simple games were shamefully old-

fortunately smash has the support of being an icon, so won't be shameful , but for the next gen, it will represent a step backwards.
so, if sakurai were leaving the scene, this doesn't matter really.

Ice man

Smash Journeyman

the first reason, it is because once brawl is released, he will never have to worry about money again, right?

the second, he is not exactly very good, otherwise, kirby's air ride would be an amazing success much like melee, since I just saw it, and is basically exactly the same (multiplayer or versus battles, and the EXACT SAME INTERFACE) so, any future game he could probably do, won't be as good as this, not even near.

third, as much as I hate to admit it, the way we play is about to dissapear. Maybe not exactly with failing motion sensor controls, but somehow, today's games wont be effective for the next gen of consoles. so, a new smash, in the way we know it, wont' happen. Dreaming of a new smash similar to melee or brawl, its hoping for de-evolution. In a weird analogy, think of this : when pong or pacman were released, the whole world was shocked by the amazing stuff it was. 10 years later, the technology had advanced so much that these simple games were shamefully old-

fortunately smash has the support of being an icon, so won't be shameful , but for the next gen, it will represent a step backwards.
Ouch, your words hurt.

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX

Did you...did you just call pacman shameful?!

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
no no no no,:ohwell: au contraire, I may love megaman and all, but pacman is THE pacman. 30 years is a long time. I meant, well, what would you think of a 2d plattformer when today's minimum standard is 3d sprites on rails?

again: pacman can eat my shorts... and I'll be honored by that :)hehe kidding.

Pacman deserves respect.

majoras incarnation

Smash Cadet
bold = my input

Does anyone else think that this is Sakurai's last Smash game?Yes I know this is looking way into the future and I'm presenting a dismal and potentially sad concept here, but with the things that led up to Brawl's creation, it seems like he wouldn't want to do the next one, as long as the series gets put in good hands (like his Kirby series). Big N will put it in the right hands...but it will never be the same

Going on that, do you think the reason he is taking more time to perfect the game is because he wants Brawl to be his proverbial swan song, a smash to end all smash, a game to play for decades and decades without ever WANTING a sequel? Yes it will be a swan song...an epic one at that....but its impossible to NOT want a sequal with a game like this...with new possible chars popping up everywhare

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
Final Smashbros game, I'm not sure.
Nintendo has a good 7 years AT LEAST to decide on that.
=)
Hopefully there will be another one though, with double that being included in Brawl. As long as games don't get to realistic, or worse (*shudders at the thought of virtual reality*), another Smash game would be a good idea.

After all, you can't have too much of a good thing.
=D

Duhvb

Smash Rookie
Didn't Sakurai say somethink like he really didn't even want to make this name, but felt it was his duty do do so, and Iwata pretty much begged him? (or something like that?)

HeltXL

Smash Apprentice
I believe Brawl will be Sakurai's last Super Smash Bros. game.
I also believe that in the future (several years), somebody else will create another Super Smash Bros. game, but... it just won't have the same soul and heart as Sakurai's Smash Bros..

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
If this is the last smash bros, it'll crush my dreams of having a "black smash bros character" in the next one.

Zek

Smash Ace
I would be very, very surprised if this is the last Smash game. I mean, it's a huge system seller for Nintendo, they can get anybody to do a sequel if they have to. As for Sakurai though, I imagine he'll move on after this. He's not officially affiliated with Nintendo anymore and from the way he was talking about the decision to work on Brawl, it did sound like he was fairly hesitant and I doubt he wants his entire career to be dominated by this one series.

That said, I don't know how irreplacable he really is, but if they found somebody with a deep understanding of Smash to lead the next project I don't see why it wouldn't work. Assuming the gameplay changes in Brawl work out and don't need any major refining, all the fans will really want is a new version next gen with better graphics and more content. I think we would all be satisfied with a more conservative approach to a sequel, as long as it doesn't make anything worse.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
before the countdown to the re-openned Dojo, on the old Dojo site, there was an article to read about "how this game was made"

It's an article written by Sakurai describing what happened at a seminar/meeting/convention. President of Nintendo announced the Wii and said games were for it were in the making. He then said that they were already working on the next installment of Super Smash Bros for the Wii. Sakurai was in the audience and jokingly said in his article, "i've been working on the next Smash game? Where have I been?"

He said that he felt he had no other choice but to make it. The president of Nintendo apologized to Sakurai for putting him on the spot, but that he'd really be honored to have Sakurai work on the next installment. Sakurai gave in and agreed to work on it. He had no plans before that day on working on a Brawl game.

The president of Nintendo pretty much told Sakurai that he couldn't imagine anyone else to create a game like Smash other than Sakurai himself. Also, that the game couldn't be rested on anyone else's hands but Sakurai's.

Those words are the sugar candy that sweet-talked Sakurai into making the game.

During an interview much later by Gamespot.com (article available on www.gamespot.com), Sakurai explained why they chose Snake to be in the game, and said that online play would be very hard to do. He also said that he's considering to add "1-2 more" 3rd party characters aside from Snake.

He also stated that a DS game was *NOT* in development and that there are no plans whatsoever. When gamespot rep asked about Smash DS, Sakurai said, "I think people should look forward to [Smash Bros Brawl] since we are putting so much hard work into it." That's indirect for: "no, don't ask for a DS game when we are working hard on a Wii game for you"

Regarding back to the "How this Game Was Made" on the old Dojo site, Sakurai pretty much said that he isn't planning or even thinking about another Smash game after Brawl.

The reality in this is: When Nintendo comes out with their next-gen console in several years down the line, they're going to be BEGGING for another installment of Smash. If Sakurai isn't available to make it for us, I'm sure Sakurai (or Nintendo) would appoint his successor to the series to look over the next game with the same development team that have been working on this game (Brawl).

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
hahah, yeah, i got that: "Brawl is Sakurai's Final Smash" it was funny, and cool, but I didn't feel like responding to it, up until now. <--uh ohs! another pun!

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
This IS Sakurai's "Final Smash" (I think that was where he got the idea from....probably not)

But you have to wonder where consoles are going after this, Nintendo is going to get better graphics, maybe the other systems will get motion control or somthing, but what about after that? I mean a graphiccally improved Melee would be nice, I mean if brawl was never coming out (if that was his last smash) I would have bought it.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
no no no no,:ohwell: au contraire, I may love megaman and all, but pacman is THE pacman. 30 years is a long time. I meant, well, what would you think of a 2d plattformer when today's minimum standard is 3d sprites on rails?

again: pacman can eat my shorts... and I'll be honored by that :)hehe kidding.

Pacman deserves respect.
I am actually hoping two specific 2d platformers: New Super Mario Bros 2, and Viewtiful Joe 3.

Visual

Smash Cadet

I'm gonna have to hold a funeral for the comma.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
I think he said himself that Brawl is his last SSB project. However, that doesn't stop Nintendo from continuing the super-popular franchise! Under a different developer, of course.

Top Bottom