• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to Hax dash with Samus and retain 100% invincibility?

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I was trying out Hax dashing with Samus on 20XX to see how long I was invincible for, and when I do it I only see a slight flash of yellow before it goes blue again. I was wondering if anyone knows if I am able to speed up/optimize my Hax dash if I would be completely invincible while doing so?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Your best bet is aerial interrupt ...dash? I think that would be 100% invincible.
That's hard af. Plus I think the wavedash back onto the ledge would have 1 or 2 frames of non-invincibility. Couldn't say for sure though as I can barely AI.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you can drop down from the ledge a little further than normal and it should work iirc.
someone correct if wrong.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
This was discussed in the AI thread. Frame perfect AI from the ledge gives you 11 invincibilty frames. Frame perfect waveland from the ledge gives 4 invincibility frames. You can't regrab the ledge in less than 11 frames after the AI.
I don't know if Samus can hax dash with full invincibility. People have claimed she can, but I haven't seen any evidence yet.

Litt

Samus
This was discussed in the AI thread. Frame perfect AI from the ledge gives you 11 invincibilty frames. Frame perfect waveland from the ledge gives 4 invincibility frames. You can't regrab the ledge in less than 11 frames after the AI.
I don't know if Samus can hax dash with full invincibility. People have claimed she can, but I haven't seen any evidence yet.
Yes you can haxdash with full invins, I have tested it out myself frame by frame, and I attempt to do it sometimes against really quality marth and fox players

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I don't have access to action replay to test it myself, and I haven't seen any video or frame data for it either.
If Barbie says it's possible, I guess it is. I'm just saying I haven't seen any evidence yet.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
That was a jab at Barbie. He claimed but didn't prove evidence so we really aren't any closer to answering the question. Not to say he can't, but it would be nice to see for ourselves.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
That was a jab at Barbie. He claimed but didn't prove evidence so we really aren't any closer to answering the question. Not to say he can't, but it would be nice to see for ourselves.
One did not ask for the evidence, one asked if it was possible, I said I have tested it and my word is the evidence, should you want me to take frame by frame pics and upload it, ill get to it later this week. However logically it is possible to understand how it is possible as well, just from the understanding that samus gets 11 frames from a perfect AI, then add 4 frames from the landing lag for samus being over the lip of the stage and not performing the up air to get the AI, so you are at 15 frames, which gives you ample time to wd into a fast fall to grab ledge. Also I believe there is a post by Sung666 in the samus AI thread giving that info about the haxdash.

Litt

Samus
Also, that jab was not necessary at all, I said one more, and Im ****ing done, I am blocking you as a user on smash boards now Mervis, this is my way of taking the higher ground, so do not expect me to see any further posts from you or reply to anything you ask.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Lol alright then. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything but so what you gatta do man!

I'm pretty sure it was discussed somewhere that no one has discovered a way to hax dash with Samus. AI isn't THAT new so I figured it was still impossible to achieve 100% invincibility. People can claim all they want; I won't believe it until I see it.

Litt

Samus
Lol alright then. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything but so what you gatta do man!

I'm pretty sure it was discussed somewhere that no one has discovered a way to hax dash with Samus. AI isn't THAT new so I figured it was still impossible to achieve 100% invincibility. People can claim all they want; I won't believe it until I see it.
No its possible to AI with 100% invins, its just a lot of the time because there is that 11 frame window, you may end up just getting on stage with a frame or two left, and your attack wont be invins, but optiomally you can get a Fsmash out invins from ledge. Its not impossible at all to achieved 100% on the hax dash, its just most good samus players out there.... arent that technical or fast with their fingers so its really not that much of a shock to not see any of them doing it.

Kmac0

Smash Cadet
Her Haxdash is totally possible LMAO

I do it all the time. I had a set with Qerb, the G&W who beat Duck at SKTAR 3 and 4-stocked Hugs in a friendly. I was retaining ledge-invincibility several times during that set, and afterwards he came to me and told me straight up that my ledge/off-stage play was better than that of Duck's.

Samus has untapped ledge options and the stigma that she's in a really bad spot on the ledge is wrong. I hope I get streamed at Apex so I can give these words meaning.

Everything Barbie says is true, and I'm sorry that I'm commenting on these months-old threads just now.

@ Litt Litt I heard you are retired now and I'm really upset, as a fellow up-and-coming Samus, to hear that. Is there a reason or are you just bored? If it's personal I understand, I'm just curious.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman

I do it all the time. I had a set with Qerb, the G&W who beat Duck at SKTAR 3 and 4-stocked Hugs in a friendly. I was retaining ledge-invincibility several times during that set, and afterwards he came to me and told me straight up that my ledge/off-stage play was better than that of Duck's.

Samus has untapped ledge options and the stigma that she's in a really bad spot on the ledge is wrong. I hope I get streamed at Apex so I can give these words meaning.

Everything Barbie says is true, and I'm sorry that I'm commenting on these months-old threads just now.

@ Litt Litt I heard you are retired now and I'm really upset, as a fellow up-and-coming Samus, to hear that. Is there a reason or are you just bored? If it's personal I understand, I'm just curious.
I'm not trying to call anyone out here, and I'm not discrediting you on your Samus skill. But I have yet to actually see it happen. I've read a handful of Samus claiming it, but smash players claim a lot of things. Can someone please just record themselves doing it so I can rest easy?

Litt

Samus

Hmm I am indeed retired, I started playing smash at Uconn with the guy who taught me, Spawn, he has since stopped playing when his mom passed, and I have graduated from uconn now, so there are just no close personal friends I have to train with anymore, and I honestly just didnt get along too well with the top players in my region, so playing with them, while fun, always felt off because I never felt like their friends or them mine, existing in the smash community with transactional relationships based on skill grew to be too hollow for me to continue, so I simply play netplay now so I can kind of stay sharp, and stayin on the boards to see anything new discovered and how everyone's doing

I'm not trying to call anyone out here, and I'm not discrediting you on your Samus skill. But I have yet to actually see it happen. I've read a handful of Samus claiming it, but smash players claim a lot of things. Can someone please just record themselves doing it so I can rest easy?
Dude seriously, you have a number of players here saying they can do it, no one cares enough to take a video of them doing it to prove it to you, b/c the proof is in the data, just go look it up, or download 20xx/debug menu and try it for yourself advancing it frame by frame with hitboxes shown so you can see if samus is or is not invincible throughout

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
Can someone please just record themselves doing it so I can rest easy?
This is Kmac's other account, the one with enough messages to actually post links LMAO
I found a good instance of me actually using her Haxdash, against Qerb's G&W.
http://gfycat.com/InstructiveGrouchyAngora#

Still need to work on my consistency with it though. I got a lot of stream time at a tournament last saturday so I'll search the videos for any more instances. It was basically me vs Sheiks and Marths so I'll see if I avoided dtilts and needles or not.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
This is Kmac's other account, the one with enough messages to actually post links LMAO
I found a good instance of me actually using her Haxdash, against Qerb's G&W.
http://gfycat.com/InstructiveGrouchyAngora#

Still need to work on my consistency with it though. I got a lot of stream time at a tournament last saturday so I'll search the videos for any more instances. It was basically me vs Sheiks and Marths so I'll see if I avoided dtilts and needles or not.
One thing i didnt mention earlier, while yes your ledge play may be more impressive than Ducks, duck over all is just a much better player ;p. I was impressed by your actually hax dashing with samus, because even when SUNG does it, its not perfect all the way though. I personally found hax dashing easier and more consistent w. a springless trigger tbh, you may wanna give it a try.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Dude that was hella crispy

When it comes to doing haxdash and AI, is the focus on releasing from the ledge from the first possible frame?

Litt

Samus
Dude that was hella crispy

When it comes to doing haxdash and AI, is the focus on releasing from the ledge from the first possible frame?
For the AI, the most important part is from the letgo, you must jump and angle your control stick between directly up and directly in towards the stage, then C stick up for up air, or if you used your grapple already, you can use Z to perform the aerial to get back on the ledge for the aerial interrupt, as for the hax dash... thats all Kmac's area, I can do that, but no where near as cripsy :p

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, I got by doing AI with control stick directed completely at the stage (all the way left/right) but I'll try your method if it makes it easier to get the invul. frames. I actually have a vod of me practicing it so you guys can critique it, will upload

Litt

Samus
Interesting, I got by doing AI with control stick directed completely at the stage (all the way left/right) but I'll try your method if it makes it easier to get the invul. frames. I actually have a vod of me practicing it so you guys can critique it, will upload
I have a frame by frame break down of the AI I made for Darrell a while back, its in picture slides, its all done on my iphone crappy camera, but its good enough to fully understand and teach, all the hitboxes and colision bubbs are exposed as well i believe

Litt

Samus
LOL actually found it, lemme know what you guys think, Im not great with comps or editing so its a little rough :p

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124144140@N05/sets/72157644820826906

EDIT: read the descriptions of the pics, they have the info when actions are required or inputs are performed, only like 6-7 pics with **** written on them anyway... Pay no mind to the guy with bed head wearing that v neck in the background image of the tv xD

Last edited:

ycz12

Smash Ace
Thanks Ken!

Did we ever decide it was possible to AI > wavedash back with full invincibility? It seems like it'd be slower than haxdashing, since there's the extra 4 frames of jumpsquat, but maybe I'm underestimating AI again.

Litt

Samus
Thanks Ken!

Did we ever decide it was possible to AI > wavedash back with full invincibility? It seems like it'd be slower than haxdashing, since there's the extra 4 frames of jumpsquat, but maybe I'm underestimating AI again.
Ill test it for you tomorrow, and if its possible ill do another one of those flickr galleries frame by frame, I doubt its possible, but hey, who knows lol

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
having trouble 'reading' this because nothing looks like samus lol
Are you dropping off the ledge on the 9th picture?

Litt

Samus
I am having a problem reading it too, also do you have to fastfall after you wavedash off the edge?
This is for AI into frame perfect fsmash... its not for haxdash... I never said it was for hax dashing, I said I would try to make one for ycz the following day, but I still havent had time.

having trouble 'reading' this because nothing looks like samus lol
Are you dropping off the ledge on the 9th picture?
The ledge is let go on the 9th, but you press away on the 8th

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Wow her hax dash is pretty darn good.

1 - drop
2 - dj towards stage
17 - airdodge (diagonal notch works)
18 - can buffer fastfall

1 - drop
2 - fastfall
3 - dj towards stage
22 - airdodge (diagonal notch works)
23 - can buffer fastfall

1 - drop
2 - fastfall
4 - dj towards stage
24 - airdodge (diagonal notch works)
25 - can buffer fastfall

Or for non fastfall setups

1 - drop
3 - dj towards stage
18 - airdodge (diagonal notch works)
19 - can buffer fastfall

1 - drop
4 - dj towards stage
19 - airdodge (diagonal notch works)
20 - can buffer fastfall

1 - drop
5 - dj towards stage
20 - airdodge (diagonals notch work)
21 - can buffer fastfall

You can still do it if you dj in neutral then drift, but it really really cripples it. this is also the reason it's near impossible on battlefield.

Bare in mind these show the earliest possible fast fall (which happens 2 frames after the buffer) . If you were to do the faster setups immediately on CliffWait 0 , you wouldn't grab the ledge due to still being intangible and will go past it. So in case you are some tas machine, you should delay the fastfall a bit.

These are also only the fastest airdodges possible using the notch for each setup. Airdodges later will work but of course will eat intangible frames. For example, any setup will work if you airdodge on frame 25 but only if you drop perfectly and fastfall perfectly, air dodging later will never work.

Ai to wd back can work, but it's slower and probably harder.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I did not address that all haxdashes require you to drop frame perfectly (on CliffWait 1). Because it's when you drop from the ledge the Disabled Regrab Period countdown-timer starts at 29. Also airdodging on 25 won't work with most setups, as you will be further from the ledge then others, 23 will work for all.

I would of made gifs earlier, but I was away from my setup. So here they are.

Fastest Startup
http://gfycat.com/AdoredDeadlyAmurratsnake

Fastest Startup
0 - CliffWait 0
1 - Drop
2 - DoubleJump Towards Stage
17 - Airdodge (diagonal notch)
25 - Fastfall
30 - Grab Ledge
37 - CliffWait 0

Fastfalling sooner will make you go past the ledge.

Slowest Startup
http://gfycat.com/OptimalEuphoricBufflehead

Slowest Startup
0 - CliffWait 0
1 - Drop (no fastfall)
5 - DoubleJump Towards Stage
24 - Airdodge (diagonal notch)
28 - Fastfall
30 - Grab Ledge
37 - CliffWait 0

Fastfalling later will make you tangible before you grab the ledge.

Last edited:

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Did I get this right? You get 37 frames of invincibility by grabbing the ledge, so we need to be frame perfect for a full invincibile haxdash, except the timing for the double jump (which then delays the other inputs)?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Yes but the first 8 frames you are in CliffCatch 1-7 then CliffWait 0, which you cannot drop from. So you only have 29 frames of invincibility to work with. You must do a frame perfect drop from the ledge to start the Disabled Regrab Period immediately as it lasts 29 frames.

There are tonnes of slightly different timings you could perform. The gifs sort of show either end of the spectrum. The first showing the fastest DJ and airdodge possible, then the soonest possible time to fastfall. You could fastfall later and it'll work or airdodge later, or both. The second gif shows the latest possible DJ and airdodge possible*. You could definitely airdodge sooner and fastfall later, or airdodge sooner and fastfall sooner. So yes you are right, but it's a little more complex when you have multiple variables.

*technically you could airdodge on frame 25 if you do a drop>fastfall setup and DJ on frame 4.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Did I get this right? You get 37 frames of invincibility by grabbing the ledge, so we need to be frame perfect for a full invincibile haxdash, except the timing for the double jump (which then delays the other inputs)?
Yes, and it applies to every character and all ledge stalls except those that include moves that give extra invincibility like sheiks upb. Because of the Disabled regrab period the drop must always be done frame perfect or you will end up with vulnerable frames before regrab.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Thanks Ken!

Just tested it dude, the best I could do even with frame by frame, is one vulnerable frame during the fast fall back to the ledge, maybe I was messing up someone for one frame, but well it kinda is possible I guess

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
AI to WD back

Fastest setup
http://gfycat.com/DependableThankfulAsianwaterbuffalo

Fastest setup

0 - CliffWait 0
1 - Drop
2 - DJ towards stage
12 - UpAir
15 - Land
19 - Jump
22 - Airdodge (diagonal notch)
26 - FastFall
28 - (Latest Fastfall)
30 - Grab Ledge
37 - CliffWait 0

Slowest setup
http://gfycat.com/InformalTornBinturong

Slowest setup

0 - CliffWait 0
1 - Drop (no fastfall)
5 - DJ towards stage
15 - UpAir
17 - Land
21 - Jump
28 - FastFall
30 - Grab Ledge
37 - CliffWait 0

You cannot fastfall after the drop, you won't be able to upair fast enough. You can UpAir a frame later if you DJ on frame 2 or 3.

Litt

Samus
AI to WD back

Fastest setup
http://gfycat.com/DependableThankfulAsianwaterbuffalo

Fastest setup

0 - CliffWait 0
1 - Drop
2 - DJ towards stage
12 - UpAir
15 - Land
19 - Jump
22 - Airdodge (diagonal notch)
26 - FastFall
28 - (Latest Fastfall)
30 - Grab Ledge
37 - CliffWait 0

Slowest setup
http://gfycat.com/InformalTornBinturong

Slowest setup

0 - CliffWait 0
1 - Drop (no fastfall)
5 - DJ towards stage
15 - UpAir
17 - Land
21 - Jump
28 - FastFall
30 - Grab Ledge
37 - CliffWait 0

You cannot fastfall after the drop, you won't be able to upair fast enough. You can UpAir a frame later if you DJ on frame 2 or 3.
Much better than anything I could have done lol, I knew with the math it should be possible but I wasnt able to replicate even frame by frame in debug, so I would put perfect AI to wd back to ledge in the section of impossible tech next to rocket boost swd thingy discovered a few weeks/months ago

Top Bottom