• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me or... sonic looks a bit overpowered?

heroicsonic

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty sure everyone seen the video of sonic in brawl,but dont you think he seems over powered? he can do very fast attack and move very fast.. :confused:

Viral

Smash Apprentice
Sonic? Fast? get out of here! ;)

Well he may be very fast but as Gerudo Warrior already pointed out, he doesn't do a great deal of damage and seeing as that Brawl requires higher percentages to kill this may be a big hinderance to Sonic players. He looks like a very good character (and apparently one of the best from the demo) but I wouldn't say overpowered. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
Sonic looks too light and he dies at percentages like Pikachu. And Pikachu weighs 13 pounds, and Sonic weighs 77 pounds. I hope his Spin Dashes do at least 15% - 18%. And his kicking moves does at least 12%-15%. This may seem a little over powered, but in Sonic's fighting style and character, he is more of using fast strong kicks, fast weak punches, and fast spin dashes and using his ball abilities into attacks. Sonic has strong legs and feet for kicking. His Spin Dashes should at least be powerful compared to his punches and kicks. And he weighs a lot more than Pikachu, and should not die like him at low percentages. So why is Sonic so light in Brawl? Mario may weigh a little more, but Sonic is not that light, like Pikachu.

Cyberbot5000

Smash Apprentice
also I read he moves slow through the air to counter his fast ground based attacks, dont know whether thats true

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is fine. just not stylish. :cool:
Stylish as in Special attacks? Like Mario's Fire Ball or Pikachu's Thunder? Sonic's way to fight is more of a physical attacker than Special Attacker. I like Sonic, his way to fight in SSBB is 100% pure physical fighting (Besides his Final Smash), and that's just awesome IMO. I like Pure Physical Fighters anyway than Special Attackers. Like Mario, he's almost a pure physical fighter (Besides his Fire Ball and Cape). I don't like weapons away for fighting anyway (e.g. swords). They don't show real strength. It's just flashy IMO. It's true it takes skill to hold and use a sword, but it's cheap, also IMO.

lol, I said "IMO" too much. Excuse me for saying that too much.

Polar_Bear

Smash Rookie
If you look at videos on youtube of the demo, he doesn't look overpowered. The official videos are obviously going to make him look better than he is; they are "advertising" him, in a sense.

spindash

Smash Ace
Plus he has no range attacks
I heard that his Down Smash covers a lot of ground, as he Spin Dash's back and forth on the spot rapidly. At the rate that Sonic fights though, I don't think range will be a big issue for him as he'll likely use that speed to capitalize and string combos like a mad hedgehog.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
I heard that his Down Smash covers a lot of ground, as he Spin Dash's back and forth on the spot rapidly. At the rate that Sonic fights though, I don't think range will be a big issue for him as he'll likely use that speed to capitalize and string combos like a mad hedgehog.
Yeah, also his grab attack has okay range, seeing how he sticks out his arms and reels in his opponent, like he did to DK in his video.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious that this thread was made by someone with Meta Knight in their avatar?

I don't mean to be rude, and I'm not a Meta Knight hater, but come on. For the longest time, Meta looked to be far past broken.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
so hes light, fast, average weight and weak

seem's hard to handle, but he'll be fun to play as

True Fool

Smash Ace
The only thing that seems out of balance with Sonic to me is his Uair. It either needs to be slower or weaker, I hated that Fox had this thing.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that seems out of balance with Sonic to me is his Uair. It either needs to be slower or weaker, I hated that Fox had this thing.
Yeah, but Sonic's Uair fits him more than Fox, seeing that Sonic is more of a lower body fighter than Fox, and Sonic's way more acrobatic than Fox. How much damage does that attack do anyway for Sonic on average?

True Fool

Smash Ace
Yeah, but Sonic's Uair fits him more than Fox, seeing that Sonic is more of a lower body fighter than Fox, and Sonic's way more acrobatic than Fox. How much damage does that attack do anyway for Sonic on average?
I'm not sure on the damage, but from what I've heard the knockback is just about even with Foxes old Uair. That knockback is a bit much for such a fast character in my opinion. I think it was too much for Fox as well.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure on the damage, but from what I've heard the knockback is just about even with Foxes old Uair. That knockback is a bit much for such a fast character in my opinion. I think it was too much for Fox as well.
I did see him do his Uair in that "Donkey Kong does 100% damage to Meta Knight" video in the Donkey Kong character section. It did 13% of damage with some nice knockback, but it's not a killing move like Fox's Uair (at least, I don't think so >.< ).

He's the video if you guess want to see it. Sonic attacks Yoshi with his Uair at 0:18 - 0:20. Sonic actually takes a second to attack (Not the Start Up time, but the whole attack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9hKHQF6Ws

XxAlucardxX

Smash Cadet
He is very fast but his attacks dont do much damage, read gimpy's character impressions..he's not overpowered

Mr1337

Smash Cadet
I don't know, I think once competitive players get their hands on him he'll be an upper tier character. Speed kills.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Stylish as in Special attacks? Like Mario's Fire Ball or Pikachu's Thunder? Sonic's way to fight is more of a physical attacker than Special Attacker. I like Sonic, his way to fight in SSBB is 100% pure physical fighting (Besides his Final Smash), and that's just awesome IMO. I like Pure Physical Fighters anyway than Special Attackers. Like Mario, he's almost a pure physical fighter (Besides his Fire Ball and Cape). I don't like weapons away for fighting anyway (e.g. swords). They don't show real strength. It's just flashy IMO. It's true it takes skill to hold and use a sword, but it's cheap, also IMO.

lol, I said "IMO" too much. Excuse me for saying that too much.
I like pure physical fighters as well like C.F. But I also like to play as link and roy. I don't get why you would think that using a sword is cheap. Using a sword is not cheap. Don't forget that using a sword takes not only skill but great strength and the patience to learn the skills needed as well. Think of it as a weight that you are constantly carrying around with you. It take skill, strength, and patience. Those are things that that the blue blur just does not have. If you gave sonic link's sword his arms would probably fall right out of their sockets. If he could lift it he would probably miss every shot. Then after trying once or twice he would probably drop it get his arms fixed and then go back to the mountains and sit on his butt and do nothing.:mad: Also if you took someone like link and took away his sword, shield, and gear imagine how much faster he would be. His speed could rival that of C.F.'s. Imagine how much faster young link would be!! What I'm basically saying is, swords aren't cheap. Oh and I don't think that sonic is overpowered at all. He has incredible speed and agility. The weaker attacks sort of even him out.

ps Sorry. it kinda got outta hand. I did not mean to offend any sonic fanboys. I like sonic as well and I can't wait to play as him. Although my first character will probably be Ike (yes. a sword wielder)

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
I like pure physical fighters as well like C.F. But I also like to play as link and roy. I don't get why you would think that using a sword is cheap. Using a sword is not cheap. Don't forget that using a sword takes not only skill but great strength and the patience to learn the skills needed as well. Think of it as a weight that you are constantly carrying around with you. It take skill, strength, and patience. Those are things that that the blue blur just does not have. If you gave sonic link's sword his arms would probably fall right out of their sockets. If he could lift it he would probably miss every shot. Then after trying once or twice he would probably drop it get his arms fixed and then go back to the mountains and sit on his butt and do nothing.:mad: Also if you took someone like link and took away his sword, shield, and gear imagine how much faster he would be. His speed could rival that of C.F.'s. Imagine how much faster young link would be!! What I'm basically saying is, swords aren't cheap. Oh and I don't think that sonic is overpowered at all. He has incredible speed and agility. The weaker attacks sort of even him out.

ps Sorry. it kinda got outta hand. I did not mean to offend any sonic fanboys. I like sonic as well and I can't wait to play as him. Although my first character will probably be Ike (yes. a sword wielder)

I still think Swords are cheap. A sword user against a person with out a sword? It's like a boxer against a samurai, who would you think would win (The answer is obvious, the samurai). And as the saying goes for swordsmen, you don't attack an unarmed person, even in a fight. Why do people think Sonic is weak, he can still carry people and still run at his own top speed, like Princess Elise, and she weighs like 100 or more pounds. Now if he was weak, he couldn't do that. And back on the swords topic, it's like this scenario, if a person kills with a sword, why couldn't they just use their hands? The fist is always mightier than the sword anyway, it shows real power. If Nintendo would have used Sonic's real character in SSBB, his punches would have been weak, but fast, his kicks would have fast and powerful (They kind of are), and his spin dashes would have been faster than his running speed and powerful, and his aerialness would have been faster. But all that would make him too powerful and top tier in SSBB, like Fox was in Melee, so I see why Sonic wasn't put to his pull potential.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Did he carry her on his back or with his arms. If he used his arms then I'm sorry for calling him weak. If he carried her on his back then that is probably because he could not carry her with his arms because they are so weak and frail. Just look at the pics of Sonic you have. His arms look more like noodles! lol If sonic did use a sword he could probably put some meat on his bones. If you give sonic a sword then he would probably have to rely on gravity to use it. Unless it was one of those crappy plastic swords that you by at the dollar store. I still don't think swords are cheap. A swordsman could fight without his sword and he would probably lose to the boxer but that does not mean that swords do not show real strength. The strength of the sword is measured by the strength and skill of the user. If someone weak used a sword then they would not be able to wield it or use it. If someone strong uses a sword then they will be able to use it BECAUSE OF THEIR STRENGTH!!! Why don't you give the boxer a sword and watch them fight who do you think would win? (of course the Samurai) Why because the boxer has no idea how to use a sword. And don't forget that even if the swordsman sword is taken away that that will just free him up even more allowing more speed. If it were a knight with heavy golden armor and large sword and shield who was trained to run at average speed with the armor on against a boxer then he would win. If he took all of his armor off then he would not lose to the boxer but he probably would not win either because he does not know how to land a punch but his reflexes are way above average because of the removed armor. And if swords were cheap why did people use to always use swords. And why do people today use guns and knives instead of just using their fists. Why in war do people use guns and tanks. Why don't they run at each other with their fist out and start punching each other?

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
Did he carry her on his back or with his arms. If he used his arms then I'm sorry for calling him weak. If he carried her on his back then that is probably because he could not carry her with his arms because they are so weak and frail. Just look at the pics of Sonic you have. His arms look more like noodles! lol If sonic did use a sword he could probably put some meat on his bones. If you give sonic a sword then he would probably have to rely on gravity to use it. Unless it was one of those crappy plastic swords that you by at the dollar store. I still don't think swords are cheap. A swordsman could fight without his sword and he would probably lose to the boxer but that does not mean that swords do not show real strength. The strength of the sword is measured by the strength and skill of the user. If someone weak used a sword then they would not be able to wield it or use it. If someone strong uses a sword then they will be able to use it BECAUSE OF THEIR STRENGTH!!! Why don't you give the boxer a sword and watch them fight who do you think would win? (of course the Samurai) Why because the boxer has no idea how to use a sword. And don't forget that even if the swordsman sword is taken away that that will just free him up even more allowing more speed. If it were a knight with heavy golden armor and large sword and shield who was trained to run at average speed with the armor on against a boxer then he would win. If he took all of his armor off then he would not lose to the boxer but he probably would not win either because he does not know how to land a punch but his reflexes are way above average because of the removed armor. And if swords were cheap why did people use to always use swords. And why do people today use guns and knives instead of just using their fists. Why in war do people use guns and tanks. Why don't they run at each other with their fist out and start punching each other?

Sonic did carry her with his arms. On the swords topic, it's because the boxer rather fights with his fists than with a sword and the swordsmen knows how to fight with a swrod, that's how they learned to fight. I do like swords, and they are cool, but but seems cheap for a fight. I know the stuff behind swords and I learned about them, and it does take strength to use a sword and use it right, it takes years of practice to master a sword, you can't just get up and just use a sword off the bat, you can kill yourself or someone else. I learned enough about swords to see they are cheap in a fight. In the real world, if in a street if both sides agree to a fight without weapons, but one side takes out a sword and kills they kill people who were going to fight without any weapons and both sides had agreed to fight each other with out weapons. Now that's cheap, a cheap fight, and a cheap death. People use swords or weapons, because that's how their era is in, but most swordsmen just use their swords for fast deaths, like guns and gangsters use guns. But if it was a clear street fight, with swords and melee combat, it will still be cheap to use a sword or any kind of weapon. But if every character in SSBB were just melee combating without a option of a weapon, that would be boring to some people and everyone would be the same. But what my opinion is, I still find swords or any kind of weapon to be cheap, why not just use your own natural strength to fight? Why do you (Not you specifically, just a saying) have to rely on a weapon to fight with, and it doesn't matter if you are a Master swordsmen, show some backbone and fight without a sword and weapon if you CAN and KNOW how to fight. Swordsmen are strong, but why don't they just fight without a weapon if they are really strong. You still don't attack an unarmed person, because that shows cowardness.

Guns are the cheapest of weapons, after swords.

IMO, Melee Combat (Without weapons, "Now this is a real fight") > Sword fights ("You used a sword to kill someone, why not just use a gun, what you can't fight? lol") > Guns fight ("Wow, you used a gun to kill someone, big whoop. You freakin' coward").

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
Speed = Power. Imagine punching somebody at 700 MPH. It would hurt. So actually Sonic can be incredibly strong. Even if punching someone at that speed would leave you with no fist, Sonic's capable of doing it.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
I did see him do his Uair in that "Donkey Kong does 100% damage to Meta Knight" video in the Donkey Kong character section. It did 13% of damage with some nice knockback, but it's not a killing move like Fox's Uair (at least, I don't think so >.< ).

He's the video if you guess want to see it. Sonic attacks Yoshi with his Uair at 0:18 - 0:20. Sonic actually takes a second to attack (Not the Start Up time, but the whole attack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9hKHQF6Ws
If it was anything like Fox's in melee then it would have killed Yoshi right there. Fox's in melee killed at around 70%. Yoshi was at 86% and Sonic didn't even come close to killing Yoshi. So it should be good.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Sonic did carry her with his arms. On the swords topic, it's because the boxer rather fights with his fists than with a sword and the swordsmen knows how to fight with a swrod, that's how they learned to fight. I do like swords, and they are cool, but but seems cheap for a fight. I know the stuff behind swords and I learned about them, and it does take strength to use a sword and use it right, it takes years of practice to master a sword, you can't just get up and just use a sword off the bat, you can kill yourself or someone else. I learned enough about swords to see they are cheap in a fight. In the real world, if in a street if both sides agree to a fight without weapons, but one side takes out a sword and kills they kill people who were going to fight without any weapons and both sides had agreed to fight each other with out weapons. Now that's cheap, a cheap fight, and a cheap death. People use swords or weapons, because that's how their era is in, but most swordsmen just use their swords for fast deaths, like guns and gangsters use guns. But if it was a clear street fight, with swords and melee combat, it will still be cheap to use a sword or any kind of weapon. But if every character in SSBB were just melee combating without a option of a weapon, that would be boring to some people and everyone would be the same. But what my opinion is, I still find swords or any kind of weapon to be cheap, why not just use your own natural strength to fight? Why do you (Not you specifically, just a saying) have to rely on a weapon to fight with, and it doesn't matter if you are a Master swordsmen, show some backbone and fight without a sword and weapon if you CAN and KNOW how to fight. Swordsmen are strong, but why don't they just fight without a weapon if they are really strong. You still don't attack an unarmed person, because that shows cowardness.

Guns are the cheapest of weapons, after swords.

IMO, Melee Combat (Without weapons, "Now this is a real fight") > Sword fights ("You used a sword to kill someone, why not just use a gun, what you can't fight? lol") > Guns fight ("Wow, you used a gun to kill someone, big whoop. You freakin' coward").
A sword battle is much more intense than a fist fight. In a sword fight it is much easier to mess up and die. When you use a sword you are using natural strength. You are just giving it form. And with the whole "You used a sword to kill someone, why not just use a gun, what you can't fight? lol"If you were able to kill him with a sword then apparently you can fight. If two swordsman are in a fight and one of them kills the other then does that mean that that man is a "wuss". Let's say you and your rival both have swords and they are in a match to the death. Would you drop your sword and put up your fists like a "man" and try to win, or would you keep your sword and try to win? If you are in a dark alley and a man comes up to you with a bat or would you put up your fists and try not to be a "wuss" or would you grab that metal bar right next to you and block his shot. Being able to use a sword is just like be able to use the elements around you. If you can use a sword then you can use a wooden stick, you can use a metal bar you can use virtually anything that is long and durable for a weapon. It actually PROVES YOUR STRENGTH if you are able to turn elements into weapons at you disposal. That is the same as saying" You used tiny blades of grass to kill someone. Why not just use a gun, what, you can't fight?lol All I'm saying is that you have to be able to defend yourself with something other than just your fists. I'm not saying that using your bare fists is weak. On the contrary, using your fists is one of the best ways to defend yourself. But you cannot rely on them for everything.

By the way. If sonic were to use a sword do think he would be considered god tier. After all then he would be a high speed hedgehog with a high powered sword.

Top Bottom