• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me or... sonic looks a bit overpowered?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
If it was anything like Fox's in melee then it would have killed Yoshi right there. Fox's in melee killed at around 70%. Yoshi was at 86% and Sonic didn't even come close to killing Yoshi. So it should be good.
The average % characters are killed in Brawl though is apparently higher. We won't know for sure until the game is out though.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
He can rip through metal, A sword can't. (Unless it's an energy sword) It'd be a waste of his time and ability.

---

And yeah, you're right Phoenix Dark, I forgo about that. But it would take Sonic longer to get his opponents at a higher percentage anyway, so it seemed alright to me.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
A sword battle is much more intense than a fist fight. In a sword fight it is much easier to mess up and die. When you use a sword you are using natural strength. You are just giving it form. And with the whole "You used a sword to kill someone, why not just use a gun, what you can't fight? lol"If you were able to kill him with a sword then apparently you can fight. If two swordsman are in a fight and one of them kills the other then does that mean that that man is a "wuss". Let's say you and your rival both have swords and they are in a match to the death. Would you drop your sword and put up your fists like a "man" and try to win, or would you keep your sword and try to win? If you are in a dark alley and a man comes up to you with a bat or would you put up your fists and try not to be a "wuss" or would you grab that metal bar right next to you and block his shot. Being able to use a sword is just like be able to use the elements around you. If you can use a sword then you can use a wooden stick, you can use a metal bar you can use virtually anything that is long and durable for a weapon. It actually PROVES YOUR STRENGTH if you are able to turn elements into weapons at you disposal. That is the same as saying" You used tiny blades of grass to kill someone. Why not just use a gun, what, you can't fight?lol All I'm saying is that you have to be able to defend yourself with something other than just your fists. I'm not saying that using your bare fists is weak. On the contrary, using your fists is one of the best ways to defend yourself. But you cannot rely on them for everything.

By the way. If sonic were to use a sword do think he would be considered god tier. After all then he would be a high speed hedgehog with a high powered sword.

Shoot outs = Sword fights in terms of fast "fighting". A Sword to the head is just the same as a gun to the head if it's unexpected and from behind, and from anywhere else to the body. Sorry, I don't see Sonic using a sword, it's not to his character to use any kind of weapon. Even if he could be godly with s sword, he still wouldn't use it. Shadow's a different case (lol, I brought up Shadow's game). I still think weapons are no good. Physical fighting is still the best compared to sword fights and shoot outs, it shows more strength, and what you can do without a weapon, IMO.

SmashALLSTAR

Smash Cadet
Physical fighting is the only way you're gonna conclude who is the better fighter. It's the way you'e supposed to fight: use your strength and style of combat to overcome your opponent. It's the ultimate fight, how nature intended you to fight. You and nothing else.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Actually SmashALLSTAR we were talking about whether or not swords are cheap. SonicSSJXtheHedgehog thinks that using a sword is cheap while I think that using a sword is not cheap. What do you think? And if you think that humans do not need anything else then why are cars. Why is pretty much everything industrialized? Sorry, but saying humans only need themselves is well to be perfectly honest stupid. If humans only needed themselves then we would not need food. That is like saying "Hey, look at that wimp. He drives thirty miles to work and gets there in twenty minutes while we walk the whole thirty miles and it takes us an hour. Are we smart or what?"

And using your fists can be just as quick as using a sword. If you go up behind someone and put your arm around their neck then you can kill them in about a minute. True it is not as quick as a stab through the heart which would take about twenty seconds to kill but there are other ways of making someone die quicker. You can punch someone in the stomach and then choke them. You can get them into a Guillotine on the ground or while standing up. You can get them into a Gogoplata on the ground and after they pass out you can easily beat them mercilessly. Swords and guns are not the only way to get a quick kill. And as for the samurai without a sword he CAN still move. It's not like "Oh No! I lost my sword! I will now sit here and meditate..." Samurai are not slow. They are quick. They can move without a sword. That is the beauty of swords and armor. You can move with or without them. For a boxer put a suit of armor on him and give him a sword and he will lose. Why? Because he is not used to the weight. And if they can sneek behind the guy then they can easily put their arm around their opponents' neck and choke them to death. Fist fighting does show strength but how does that put swords in the area of cheap? I say fist fighting because swords are a way of Physical Fighting. I am with you in that fists show strength but weapons such as nunchuks, kunai and katana simply give your strength a different form. By the way, you never answered my question of whether or not you would pick up the bar right beside you or put up your fists. What is your answer?
And what is your definition of cheap and no good? I am not sure I understand it.
Your a cool kid or adult. You are able to keep your cool even when in an argument. Most people would just blow up and start cursing left and right. Thanks.:)

SmashALLSTAR

Smash Cadet
Actually SmashALLSTAR we were talking about whether or not swords are cheap. SonicSSJXtheHedgehog thinks that using a sword is cheap while I think that using a sword is not cheap. What do you think? And if you think that humans do not need anything else then why are cars. Why is pretty much everything industrialized? Sorry, but saying humans only need themselves is well to be perfectly honest stupid. If humans only needed themselves then we would not need food. That is like saying "Hey, look at that wimp. He drives thirty miles to work and gets there in twenty minutes while we walk the whole thirty miles and it takes us an hour. Are we smart or what?"
I don't think humans do not need anything else but themselves, far from it. What I was merely saying was that fighting without the assistance of weaponry was the way that it was intended, and would be the most honourable way to engage. Much like the animals of this world humans most likely had to engage in combat with brute strength and nothing else...that's all I was saying there. It's not my opinion that humans need nothing but themselves, just me merely saying that it's what's considered the 'proper' way to engage, if you get my meaning. However, in regards to the discussion you two are having I would say that using a sword is not cheap...exactly. Guns are, IMO, but not swords. As was said, it takes a lot of skill, patience and strength to wield a sword and for that reason alone I would say that using a sword in a fight is just as accesptible. It could be considered cheap because of obvious advantages one could assume tips the battle in there favour. Yes, swords have range, but I'm sure a skilled enough fighter can evade effectively. Swords are hard to wield and normally if you miss you can become vulnerable for a few seconds. Yes, swords can kill faster. However, like R.Y.A.N.O stated, it is also possible for a fighter using his fists to kill someone quickly too: snapping there necks for example. There are also many ways of crippling an opponent. Swords have evolved into a style of fighting so it is not cheap. They demand as much as those that use there fists. Unlike guns, in which you could possibly just spray bullets, swords require more patience and concentration...even against a weaponless opponent. Sword-wielders can become just as vulnerable with the most smallest of mistakes and this makes it just as intense.

I do think, personally, that fighting without weapons would be the best thing, though. It's a much more pure fight There is no advantage or disadvantage, which equels no excuses.

I hope that all makes sense.

SmashALLSTAR

Smash Cadet
It doesn't.

Anywho to the OP, the game isn't even out yet, could we hold the sky is falling topics to a minimum at least until the fricken metagame is established?
Fine.

Well on topic. I thought Sonic looked a bit underpowered, rather than overpowered.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I don't think humans do not need anything else but themselves, far from it. What I was merely saying was that fighting without the assistance of weaponry was the way that it was intended, and would be the most honourable way to engage. Much like the animals of this world humans most likely had to engage in combat with brute strength and nothing else...that's all I was saying there. It's not my opinion that humans need nothing but themselves, just me merely saying that it's what's considered the 'proper' way to engage, if you get my meaning. However, in regards to the discussion you two are having I would say that using a sword is not cheap...exactly. Guns are, IMO, but not swords. As was said, it takes a lot of skill, patience and strength to wield a sword and for that reason alone I would say that using a sword in a fight is just as accesptible. It could be considered cheap because of obvious advantages one could assume tips the battle in there favour. Yes, swords have range, but I'm sure a skilled enough fighter can evade effectively. Swords are hard to wield and normally if you miss you can become vulnerable for a few seconds. Yes, swords can kill faster. However, like R.Y.A.N.O stated, it is also possible for a fighter using his fists to kill someone quickly too: snapping there necks for example. There are also many ways of crippling an opponent. Swords have evolved into a style of fighting so it is not cheap. They demand as much as those that use there fists. Unlike guns, in which you could possibly just spray bullets, swords require more patience and concentration...even against a weaponless opponent. Sword-wielders can become just as vulnerable with the most smallest of mistakes and this makes it just as intense.

I do think, personally, that fighting without weapons would be the best thing, though. It's a much more pure fight There is no advantage or disadvantage, which equels no excuses.

I hope that all makes sense.
So you are basically saying that swords aren't cheap but that hand to hand combat is a more pure way of fighting. It sort of supports both SonicSSJXtheHedgehog and me. Sorry. I guess I kind of took what you said and expanded it so that to me it looked like you were saying something other than what you were actually saying. What do you think SonicSSJXtheHedghog? You seem like some sort of wise old man who solves problems. It's probably because of the Chozo picture you have.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
So you are basically saying that swords aren't cheap but that hand to hand combat is a more pure way of fighting. It sort of supports both SonicSSJXtheHedgehog and me. Sorry. I guess I kind of took what you said and expanded it so that to me it looked like you were saying something other than what you were actually saying. What do you think SonicSSJXtheHedghog? You seem like some sort of wise old man who solves problems. It's probably because of the Chozo picture you have.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I couldn't find the words to say it right in this little argument >.< Sometimes, you can't find the words to say, but someone can say it for you. lol. Chozo, Metroid? O_o

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
He looks sluggish to me.. *Run! Stop! Slide off side*

I will use him at least once and I bet I will die from my own ignorance because he moves to quickly for me.

-Onyx

SmashALLSTAR

Smash Cadet
@R.Y.N.O & SonicSSJX the Hedgehog: My children, whenever you have lost your way and can't seem to find the words look to the wise Chozo...and there knowledge will guide you.

@Onyx: I think this could be said for most, that is until you practice and hone his skills. After which I think that you'll start to use this radicle speed to your advantage. Sonic will become, for some, a replacement for Falco (he's probably gone). Instead of endless Fox Vs Falco vids on Youtube; I think we'll get a lot more Fox Vs Sonic. Two very fast characters.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I kinda hope he's not top tier. He's already going to be overused as it is. Adding Sonic for top tier will just be overkill.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I couldn't find the words to say it right in this little argument >.< Sometimes, you can't find the words to say, but someone can say it for you. lol. Chozo, Metroid? O_o
That happens to me sometimes. I'm trying to say something but I don't know how to explain it. Sometimes it can get frustrating.

Thanks for the help old and wise chozo. By the way, do you think you could make me one of those power suits?

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
That happens to me sometimes. I'm trying to say something but I don't know how to explain it. Sometimes it can get frustrating.

Thanks for the help old and wise chozo. By the way, do you think you could make me one of those power suits?
O_o I needz a power suit. Wait, no I don't. >_>

SmashALLSTAR

Smash Cadet
OLD!! I'm 101 years young, I'll have you know. To you, primitive humans, that would be the age of 10. Oh, and I'm sorry, but you'd have to be worthy of the Power Suit and that, my friend, you are not. So sorry.

Anyways, I'm glad to have settled this little debate because, as healthy as it was, it was a tad bit off topic...just a tad, lol. Will any of you 2 be using Sonic very often?

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
OLD!! I'm 101 years young, I'll have you know. To you, primitive humans, that would be the age of 10. Oh, and I'm sorry, but you'd have to be worthy of the Power Suit and that, my friend, you are not. So sorry.

Anyways, I'm glad to have settled this little debate because, as healthy as it was, it was a tad bit off topic...just a tad, lol. Will any of you 2 be using Sonic very often?
Yeah, I'm going to be a Sonic player.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Overpowered Sonic? Looks more like someone who can land a lot of blows, but not send someone flying off the stage... and we'll have to wait till brawl is out, anyway.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman

I'm sorry. lol Yes I am going to be a sonic user. He is my type of character. FAST. He might not be my main character but he will be in my top five.

No hard feelings eh SonicSSJXtheHedgehog?

It depends on what this game's balanced around. 64 was all about spikes and the ledge game.

Melee was more focused on speed, and recovering from your lag as quickly as possible.

If Sonic were in Melee, he just might be broken ala Fox. But in Brawl, No one can say for sure yet.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
No, seriously, Sonic looks overpowerd. Its just that nobody used him with skill yet. Shorthopping with Sonic looks really overpowerd. He also doesn't lack aproach because he lacks projectiles. He goes faster than any projectile in the game, so do we actually need it for Sonic? Sonic's killing ability is with constantly shooting opponents of the edge and attacking further, instead of smashing them in 1 blow. He'll probably be a good edge guarder since he'll get to the edge very fast with the new edge hugging. As for weight, I think he's like Luigi in that way.

Having Sonic overpowerd is just the way I like it with Sonic. Seriously, they sometimes so underpower him just to make gameplay more balanced. But it just doesn't seem right with Sonic when he's a slow guy. Anyways, in Brawl, Sonic looks like a powerfull(as in speed) character, but in no way he'll totally dominate everyone.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said that pits arrows go faster than the speed of light and I specifically remember hearing in a certain Sonic T.V. show (Sonic X) someone say "movin at the speed of sound. cool kiss hedgehog around." sound travels slower than light. I rest my case. :cool:
Where did you find this information anyway?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sakurai said that pits arrows go faster than the speed of light and I specifically remember hearing in a certain Sonic T.V. show (Sonic X) someone say "movin at the speed of sound. cool kiss hedgehog around." sound travels slower than light. I rest my case. :cool:
Where did you find this information anyway?
sonic X....
Are you serious?
sonic doesn't move at the speed of sound he breaks it by a high degree.
Super Sonic goes the speed of light.
Hyper Sonic shatters reality with his speed.

Go sonic.

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
Sonic looks faster than fox and shiek could ever dream...He's probably hard to control, but when the pros can get a hold of them...it will be MASSACRE!

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
If super sonic goes AS FAST as the speed of light the apparently Sonic must go slower than the speed of light which means that he goes slower than Pit's arrows. Once again, I rest my case.

vastler

Smash Apprentice
to sonic user beware: it's stated in a gamespot gameplay test that sonic is fast and is hardder to control then other char , in other word his fast move is his diavantage especially to anyone new to the game or they who just have bad reflects
in smash dojo it's also said his final smash is dodgeble if you go too fast

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Sonic looks pretty fine to me i just hope hes not a broken character like fox and sheik in melee but all looks fine.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Overpowered?

...Possibly. No one can say one hundred percent or not if he is overpowered. It's a two-minute test of a game that's probably seen a tweak or three since Eforall.

Does he look overpowered? I don't think so. He's simply got some clearly defined strengths and weaknesses. I predict that he has much potential for high-level players, much like Fox and Falcon did in melee.

Strengths: High speed, high mobility, fast attacks, good air/edge game.

Weaknessess: Low attack power, low killing power, limited specials.

Of course, I haven't been to eforall, so I can only base my opinions secondhand. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic becomes the new Fox or Falcon, especially if he got a decent kill move during the delay.

If super sonic goes AS FAST as the speed of light the apparently Sonic must go slower than the speed of light which means that he goes slower than Pit's arrows. Once again, I rest my case.
Stop that.

Pit's arrows obviously do not move at the speed of light. If they moved at the speed of light, then we would not see them move at all. At best, we would see a line of light stretch across the screen for a fraction of a second. That's not what we see. Therefore, Pit's arrows do not move at the speed of light.

Sakurai's not an astrophyiscist. He's a game developer and a salesman. If you want to be Mr. Logic McWiseguy, you can start with the following equation.

Hyperbole =/= Fact.

Test on Wednesday.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Stop that.

Pit's arrows obviously do not move at the speed of light. If they moved at the speed of light, then we would not see them move at all. At best, we would see a line of light stretch across the screen for a fraction of a second. That's not what we see. Therefore, Pit's arrows do not move at the speed of light.

Sakurai's not an astrophyiscist. He's a game developer and a salesman. If you want to be Mr. Logic McWiseguy, you can start with the following equation.

Hyperbole =/= Fact.

Test on Wednesday.
First off "Mr. Logic McWiseguy" lol.
Second I was not trying to be Mr. Wiseguy. I was simply saying that Sonic is not faster than all projectiles. I said (in a previous post) that sonic was not faster than Pit's arrows because Sakurai said that they move at the speed of light. It is pretty obvious that they did not move at the speed of light but that Sakurai was just giving us some cool stat info. Sonic is fast. Sonic is cool but he is not the fastest thing in the world. True, now that I read over what I posted I realize that what I said was a little mean and I did not have to go and start putting other people down and I apologize for it. I guess I should have just said "I don't think Sonic is faster than all projectiles. I think Pit's arrows go faster." and left it at that.
No offense SmashWolf. Thank you DragonBreath. Now for the question. A Hyperbole does not equal facts. I am guessing that the line in between the two equal signs represents the line in between one equal sign. That symbol means not equal to. I guess you pointed this out because it seemed like I was taking what Sakurai said literally.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sonic will be overpowered. Maybe on flat stages, but on stages with platforms he's at a disadvantage because his speed in the air hardly comes close to his running speed. On flat ground, he can easily just run at high speeds and grab you, or do something out of a pivot, but he'll be a lot more vulnerable when he is forced to jump up to platforms. That's what I predict.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I don't think Sonic will be overpowered. Maybe on flat stages, but on stages with platforms he's at a disadvantage because his speed in the air hardly comes close to his running speed. On flat ground, he can easily just run at high speeds and grab you, or do something out of a pivot, but he'll be a lot more vulnerable when he is forced to jump up to platforms. That's what I predict.
True every character has a weakness of somesort

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
First off "Mr. Logic McWiseguy" lol.
Second I was not trying to be Mr. Wiseguy. I was simply saying that Sonic is not faster than all projectiles. I said (in a previous post) that sonic was not faster than Pit's arrows because Sakurai said that they move at the speed of light. It is pretty obvious that they did not move at the speed of light but that Sakurai was just giving us some cool stat info. Sonic is fast. Sonic is cool but he is not the fastest thing in the world. True, now that I read over what I posted I realize that what I said was a little mean and I did not have to go and start putting other people down and I apologize for it. I guess I should have just said "I don't think Sonic is faster than all projectiles. I think Pit's arrows go faster." and left it at that.
No offense SmashWolf. Thank you DragonBreath. Now for the question. A Hyperbole does not equal facts. I am guessing that the line in between the two equal signs represents the line in between one equal sign. That symbol means not equal to. I guess you pointed this out because it seemed like I was taking what Sakurai said literally.
...A -.

tenchar

Top Bottom