• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it bad that I always win and leave?

Uncouth?

• Yes

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Is it considered uncouth to win and leave immediately after winning in For Glory mode?

I have about 200 victories and every time I left immediately after winning. I never figured that some people stay and do multiple matches with the same person.

Last edited:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Yes. I personally hate that, and hate you by extension. I usually play 3-4 in a row with someone even if they beat me just so I can learn the matchup for later. Likewise, when I win I want to see how the other person learned or if they switch characters to give me a new look. Should always stay for 3 matches I'd say unless you're leaving or actually can't.

D

Deleted member

I usually play 3 matches with the same opponent, win or not. If the other person does not leave, they are probably trying to learn by playing someone better. I will leave if i win a match after 2 or 3 straight loses though, I feel accomplished and am done with what i needed to do

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Meh. No one is really entitled to fight you more than you want to. I know I haven't really been feeling well lately and sometimes I only have 1 match in me, regardless of whether or not it's a win or a loss.

In general I try to give every opponent I face a 2 out of 3, and if they really blow it in one match by SDing or something then I'll try to give them a rematch so that they can have a chance to soothe their egos, but really it's not like I feel like I owe them that.

Thing is, this is a mode of play where there's no real communication between players, so it's easy for someone else to get the wrong impression. Every quit seems like a ragequit to some people.

Coq1

Smash Rookie
I like it when people stay at least for the rematch so that I can see if I'm able to adapt my strategy and win :)

Glitchin

Smash Rookie
I just play with the same person until they disconnect. I do hate it when someone beats me and disconnects afterwards though.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I'm guilty of doing this sometimes, sadly. It's mostly when I'm facing someone that was more annoying to face than fun, though. There are some people I just couldn't play another round with.

Last edited:

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
This would miff me, to be honest. But if it's more like you, from the first match, believe you have a feel for what the player might and can throw at you, and that doesn't interest you to the point where you want a rematch, then do feel free to move on. They'll find someone else to play, just as good or better.

If they choose to dwell on a loss, that's them.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I'd usually only leave after playing them once if we had a very bad connection, or if they had a douchey playstyle. But really, who cares what other people think. If you don't want to play them again, don't.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
This would miff me, to be honest. But if it's more like you, from the first match, believe you have a feel for what the player might and can throw at you, and that doesn't interest you to the point where you want a rematch, then do feel free to move on. They'll find someone else to play, just as good or better.

If they choose to dwell on a loss, that's them.
The idea of a new opponent every match just interests me more. It really has nothing to do with what you said

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I usually play 2/3 with them. If I win two in a row, I leave, or 2/3 I leave. Just seems fair that way.

D3boy510

Smash Rookie
Not really, I rarely notice my opponent left until the next match starts. But I tend to stay until I win 3 in a row.

nyttyn

Smash Cadet
Meh, who cares? They aren't paying you to fight them, it's all for fun and for the sake of having a good time anyways, so long as you aren't hacking or anything just do what you find fun.

If 'this' is considered uncouth, god forbid anyone ever uses taunts, or kirbycides, etc.

guayaba209

Smash Rookie
All about tournament settings for me, so i try to get a real feel of a match if i go to a tournament. Going best 2 out 3 is the correct way for me, but if i think they are good i go all out until one of quits as you'll never know when you will face an opponent as good again.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I always leave if I lose to someone 2-3 times and finally beat them once just so they get mad and I get the last laugh. That's the only time it's uncouth.........for them, that is.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
It pisses me off more than it needs to when someone does this to me especially when you're having an epic battle and one little thing goes wrong.

SpiritGuru

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't say it's particularly bad mannered, but I always make an effort to stick with my partner whether I win or lose. It feels good for both parties to get a rematch and it can make for some impromptu "sets".

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I leave after every match, in fact I normally only play one For Glory match at a time because I'm not much for the competitive scene. I find chaotic For Fun free-for-alls more my style. (That's not to say I wouldn't do well as a competitive player if I applied myself... But I just don't like competition type set-ups. I think I only even try For Glory when I'm feeling especially daring)

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I stay unless the connection was garbage.

They usually leave after one loss tho.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
unless its laggy i'll stay for a bit. if they lost they probably didn't know the matchup so i'll stay for about 5 games. if you lose like 5 matches in a row, win one, then leave you're kind of a **** lol.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yeah, you're boring. Why wouldn't you wanna keep winning?

I never figured that some people stay and do multiple matches with the same person.
WTF, that's the obvious thing to do. And something we've longed for since Brawl.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Funny enough I do the exact opposite of what you do sometimes, which kind of makes me a poor sport lol :p That being said, I don't think it's inertially bad for you to do that. If someone did that to me, I certainly wouldn't be affected by it in the slightest given I can find another person online rather quickly. The only time that I leave a match up with someone is when they're internet is crap, thus making our matches very laggy or I'm losing constantly to this person and I want to find an opponent who has a comparable skill level to mine. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it too much over your decision for always leaving once you win.

djKun

Smash Rookie
I usually play best 2 out of 3. Unless the game is being really laggy (basically all of japan)

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I'm like Zipzo. I never leave. Even if I lose. I want them to leave.
It seems like you're someone who is very worried about your image and maybe a little insecure. I'm not always comparing myself to pros. I just leave because I want a fresh experience with each game.

Solarman

Smash Cadet
I really only quit on people if they lag or I was able to 2 stock them in under 2 minutes. Otherwise I will usually go until 5 matches or they quit what ever comes first. If they are really good and push me to do well I will fight for as long as I can.

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I generally only stop playing with players who lag or wreck me so bad that I know I stand no chance until I get better.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
It sounds like some folks will leave if they beat someone easily. That sounds like even more of a douche move to me, especially if the person was actually trying and just wants to get better. Leaving after a single match with them will likely make them feel horrible and in general isn't the most sporty thing to do. That's just my opinion on the matter though. I tend to give players that I defeat easily 3-4 chances just to be fair to them.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like some folks will leave if they beat someone easily. That sounds like even more of a douche move to me, especially if the person was actually trying and just wants to get better. Leaving after a single match with them will likely make them feel horrible and in general isn't the most sporty thing to do. That's just my opinion on the matter though. I tend to give players that I defeat easily 3-4 chances just to be fair to them.
I agree completely. Say one thing about me, say I'll leave after one game whether I win OR lose. At least I'm not leaving because I think I'm too good for the other person.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I usually do 2/3, sometimes more. (Maybe 3/5 sometimes) I am somewhat guilty of doing that a couple of times, but who knows what problems others may have? Also, I tend to like diversity, so I'll get bored against those who play Zelda for like 4 matches.

I'll definitely disconnect from a match that lags badly, though; I don't think that's fair for either of us to experience.

Overall, I wouldn't say that it's a bad thing in itself to do this, but it's more courteous to not do that in optimal conditions.

Sometimes people leave to say "HA! Got that win; screw you I'm out!", but other times they genuinely don't have time to play much, or they don't have any disrespectful intent by leaving (some may want to simply fight a new person each time, regardless of skill but not be aware that the previous person wants a rematch).

Overall, I won't hate anyone for doing it to me, as there's going to be many more matches to come for me (I couldn't personally care less about my record), but it'll give me a slightly brief feeling of saltiness during those times that I may actually want a rematch, but those will be ephemeral at best.

This thread has also made me aware of the little things you can do online that aren't sporty, so I'll definitely take note of it. (Maybe even make an online etiquette thread!)

Last edited:

Rylos

Smash Rookie
Only when it's very laggy I leave. If not I stay fighting that person until they leave because I never leave lol.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I only really do it to Little Mac scrubs. Boy I sure do love playing against literally one character on matchmaking.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I only really do it to Little Mac scrubs. Boy I sure do love playing against literally one character on matchmaking.
Yeah. As if I don't fight enough Little Macs -- I'm certainly not going to rematch one.

I found the other thing about doing multiple games is that people will either use something to try to directly counter your character, or even worse, try to mirror match you.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I personally do not have a problem with it. I have done it my fair share, not to be a d!ck, but because I had to eat dinner, study, or take care of something after winning a match. I think a lot of people take it way too personally like you're saying, "oh look, I'm better then you! Bye!!!" I'm sure at least 90% of all players do not have this in mind when they are quoting after a victory.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't see the problem.

As for me, I only leave if the opponent's level is way over my league and I see no chance of winning against them without more practice.

Top Bottom