• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it bad that I always win and leave?

Uncouth?

• Yes

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I usually do out of 3 sets or out of 5 if it ends up 2-1 to any of us.

But if they're awful I'll leave after the first match, ain't nobody got time for that

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Most of the time I stay between 3-5 matches to learn from my mistakes.
And i whant to see how my match response when I win some matches.

Ai <3 Punk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aipunk
3DS FC
3883-6832-1213
for me, no, do as you please. i usually leave after i get bored of the players

dragonologist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0920-1138-8009
I always play 2+ matches with someone, I like to stick with people that beat me until I beat them. I faced a Greninja this morning who I fought for a good half an hour.

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
I usually stay until my opponent decides to give up.
Reason for that is, if someone is willing to get destroyed 6 times in a row, I just assume he has a reason for staying. Maybe he wants to practice the character matchup. Maybe he wants to see if he can somehow read my style well enough to squeeze in a win eventually. Maybe he just enjoys the way I play and wants to keep going.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
If I win 5 straight I will leave, but if me and my opponent are going back and forth I stay until I at least have 2-3 games up on my opponent. If my opponent is really interesting, I will stay until either one of us is tired.I can't stand someone who plays you only once and win then leaves, I wouldn't say its cowardly but it's annoying especially if we were neck and neck as far as stock and percentages and my opponent got me with a lame KO. If anything the best of 3 is the standard for me.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
It depends really, after I beat somebody I find they usually end up switching to little mac, and that's annoying, so now I feel like I'm better off if I quit after the first match, unless I see they're using a character I don't usually get to fight. What's even more annoying though is the dodge roll spam, I feel like it's hard to punish with input lag. I use Kirby, so it's kind of hard to chase. Though admittedly I'm not that great of a player either, since I have trouble dealing with that combined with projectile spam online.

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
It sounds like some folks will leave if they beat someone easily. That sounds like even more of a douche move to me, especially if the person was actually trying and just wants to get better. Leaving after a single match with them will likely make them feel horrible and in general isn't the most sporty thing to do. That's just my opinion on the matter though. I tend to give players that I defeat easily 3-4 chances just to be fair to them.
Agree, I just hate when someone beats me once and leave, that doesn't prove how good you really are just by one match. Unless a player literally don't know how to recover on the stage or just sitting around not doing anything and only then will I leave after one game.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I usually play 2/3 with them. If I win two in a row, I leave, or 2/3 I leave. Just seems fair that way.
This is exactly what I do! Unless I'm fighting an incredibly fun player then I'll stay for more matches but usually I just do 2/3

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
It seems like you're someone who is very worried about your image and maybe a little insecure. I'm not always comparing myself to pros. I just leave because I want a fresh experience with each game.
The F? I wasn't comparing myself to Zipzo as a player, I was comparing him to me as a person with opinions. I'm call myself "otaku", you think I care a lot about my image? I am insecure but what does that have to do with anything? Yeah that's fine but I can't understand it and I think you make people frustrated all the time and that's not nice. And if you care anything about your score then you should stick with people you win against cause then you know you can rack it up a bit.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Eh, it is what it is. I normally only leave if I have to go do something, or if the lag is really bad. Robin's got enough endlag without the internet adding more >.<

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
It's not "bad" but I personally like playing at least 2-3 matches with one person in 1v1. Just to see which character I/they can beat them/me with.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
Naw. If you don't want to BO3/BO5 or whatever that's completely your choice.

I usually only leave if my opponent is lagging or is so much worse than me that I feel bad playing them (assuming I'm not done playing for the day) but I notice people will leave randomly and regularly. Sometimes if I'm having an off day and get completely curb stomped that person will leave immediately, and I can't blame em for that since I do the same thing.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I never leave a match unless it's super laggy or they're awful. If they're "annoying" or otherwise difficult to play, I treasure the experience and use it to get better at adapting.

I don't mind if someone wants to just win and leave to get some temporary ego-boost off of me, knowing that kind of mindset will stunt their growth overall as opposed to mine. That said, only had one or two people go several matches of losing to finally win against me then quit. Rather silly but not an issue for me, most people seem willing to continue or quit regardless of winning/losing.

Last edited:

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I usually play first to 5. If i'm beating someone really badly then I leave after 3. If its fairly even then I generally don't leave, thats hwo you get better at the game.

If I lose badly then I stay till the other person gets bored, losing helps me get better at my character.

Synzer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Synzer
3DS FC
0817-4230-0108
I'd say it depends on the situation. If you have to go, then sure it's fine. People that win easily, or do something cheap and then leave are just plain rude. It's like adding salt to a wound to beat someone using a cheap method, then leave before they can adjust their strategy to win next time. It's also helpful for people to learn matchups.

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
I will stay for another go if they are close fights that I feel confident for but when I'm playing someone clearly out of my league then I don't find it fun, it's frustrating and you feel bemused. Today I got bodied, two stocked in less than a minute, on two separate occasions. I'm not staying for another game, not without taking a break before jumping right in to fight them again, sadly you can't rematch later with randomers though...On the other hand, I feel bad if I just dominate a match against someone who doesn't have a chance, though others will argue it might be someone who's really trying to improve.

Then there's the RosaLuma's who roll spam, dash attack, roll spam, dash attack, they can get lost ASAP.

Leyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Leyolith
3DS FC
3136-6661-4301
Not at all man. Seems like you care about your record and that's good. I do Bo3 and don't mind losing much because you learn from the losses obv.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I'd say it all depends on context. I had one player I was going up against who immediately jumped off the edge to end the match due to immense lag in the match. I had Captain Falcon salute them, then afterwards they left. But then there are people that just win or lose a match and just leave. I find it annoying, but it doesn't bug me too much considering they get replaced by someone else fairly quick.

Slipspace

Smash Rookie
I'll leave if the game is laggy (200ms+) even if it's smooth because it's just way harder to follow up. In general though I stick around for a while after if I beat someone because if someone beats me I immediately want a rematch.

Also it's really annoying to play people who seem to play insanely good despite considerable amounts of input lag. I don't know what's going on but I played this Link player and I swear the input lag was a solid 1/2 second and he was still reacting and countering everything I did perfectly while I was struggling to adjust.

Top Bottom