• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it an insult--

Chaco

Never Logs In
--to be beat by Yoshi? I mean really when people get beat by him they john. Does hurt you that much to have an adorable dino kick your butt? But anyways, I've noticed it to other Yoshi's before. There's always some excuse they couldn't win. I'm not pointing out anyone I've played and this happened, I just wanted to see if it's happening to you.

So any thoughts, comments, and/or stories?

exidid

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes battle a Yoshi player. He used to beat me all the time, but I just thought that he was pretty good with Yoshi. Nothing else came to mind.

I got better than him, yay.

If you get beaten by someone, it must mean that the player you are facing is better than you (whatever character they are using) :'D

Mmac

Smash Lord
Whenever I beat people, they're all like "Dude, your Yoshi is like the bestest ever! OMG!"

It's nice that they are polite, but EVERYONE does it, It drives me nuts!

They act like they never seen a Yoshi in their entire life >_>

Chaco

Never Logs In
See it's as if being good with Yoshi is odd...

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Well, there's not a lot of people who play Yoshi and when you pick him up for the first time, you won't notice any apparent broken/abusable moves (with Snake's FTilt, for example, everyone will notice this is a great move when they first use it). Instead, with Yoshi, you'll have to make use of the entire moveset to get somewhere.

All that leads to people being surprised by how good this character can do when they first face a good Yoshi. When people experience an unexpected defeat, the first reaction could very well be a John. Luckily, I haven't had that yet, instead, people expressed their surprise in a way similar to what Mmac experienced.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Sometimes I get the...Geez, I've never played a good yoshi so I wasn't prepared. Other than that they usually aren't complaints and more compliments. I enjoyed the "I need to play you more Gindler, to get ready for all the other pro yoshi's out there" *sarcasm noted in 2nd part =P*)

But yeah, alot of people see it as an insult for one reason or another.

Scala

Smash Ace
I knew a fellow who avoided using his main against me because he felt like if he lost it would be a disgrace

He knows better now, but that's how it was.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Yoshi isn't that bad, he is just fun and easy to make fun of. If i got beat by a Yoshi i would not John, i am fully aware of what a good Yoshi player can do. Yoshi will be made fun of and underestimated forever and i think you guys might just have to get used to that.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
I've never played a competitive yoshi before, but I'd love to be beaten by one, just to show that what people say about how good a character is, is wrong

Zench

Smash Cadet
This one guy i fought was like "wow, you even won with Yoshi! i must really suck."
So i guess there is a few who underestimate him to much, but most people don't even mind. (I think)

bigman40

Smash Master
I always get the, "holy ****! Your Yoshi is insane man!". remember one time I played an online tourney and lost to a spamming pit (stll learning matchups...), and as soon as he won, he said I was the best and was pro with Yoshi. I think after a while of gettng the same compliment, you get annoyed from the fact that so many people are oblivous from knowing at least the good yoshi players.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I've never played a competitive yoshi before, but I'd love to be beaten by one, just to show that what people say about how good a character is, is wrong
If you come to NoVA I will have no problem beating you.

but anyways I always here the same excuse "i never played a good yoshi before" I think everyone that mains yoshi gets that.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
well its been getting better lately

seeing as how there are a bunch of spies on our boards now >.> <.< >.>

Shiri

Smash Chump
Yoshi will be made fun of and underestimated forever and i think you guys might just have to get used to that.
:yoshi: LOL we've been dealing with it since May of 1999, but thanks for the tips, ROFL!

If enough people play you locally, they will come to respect the character and you as a player.

While the "Wow, your Yoshi is pro!" compliments out of your local scene are nice at first, it just goes to show that nobody really knows what a really good Yoshi looks like. People have said I'm the best they've ever seen and it's funny because I know I haven't scratched the surface of this character--imagine what it'll be like when we rock out to Yoshi's full power. ^___^

Samuelson

Smash Lord
--imagine what it'll be like when we rock out to Yoshi's full power. ^___^
I agree that Yoshi will get better and that you guys have just scratched the surface but there are lots of other characters that will do the same! You guys are the underdogs in Smash and i want to see you guys own in tourny's and whatnot.

PS: Everybody knows what Yoshi's full power is, it's his Final Smash. :)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Ok yeah this is a DP but it's getting ridiculous. I mean today even I get johned on saying how I approach with egg roll. That's stupidest thing you can do, so why would I do that. As I don't. But basically they don't realize that brawl basically consists of spamming. That's how they made the game. That's why the tiers are the way they are. TR4Q I know. But seriously, no one says GG's anymore as much. It's you spammed this, you did that. Here's a quote of advie given to me:

"When it comes down to it, you gotta do whatever you can to win."

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe it is. Most people seem fine when I beat them, and when they beat me.

Depster

Smash Champion
Ya it's always "wow your yoshi is insane" I like it when it comes from people that come out thinking they are gonna whup me, but from average scrubs that don't get out much in the smash community it is kinda annoying. Most of the people I play have basically stopped thinking that yoshi is trash =p

Bwett

Smash Ace
Is it an insult to be beaten by Yoshi?

You'll have to ask all the guys bwett stomps around here :p
Yes sir! Except it's not so much guys as little kids who don't know what the Green button and Red button do...lol

LOL Yeah Bwett's pretty BA.
QFT

"When it comes down to it, you gotta do whatever you can to win."
QFT #2

EDIT:
Focker needs to stop getting 5th though :mad:
Yeah...QFT #3 lol

DEV64

Smash Apprentice
before i played bwett i felt that way and thought he sucked then i played bwett and he beat me,bad that's when i officially realized no char. is bad(exept bowser itll i play gimpy or someone who beats me with him:chuckle:)

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
My friends now call me the mean green killing machine because of my Yoshi ..... well, I wish they did anyway.

But seriously, people just think the reason I do well with Yoshi is Im an exceptional player, when infact Im only decent. But hey, if it makes me look good, they can believe Yoshi´s bad :p

SOVAman

Smash Hero
when just play with friends not in a tournament they always used to make excuses but now they have realized how good Yoshi is.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
That's odd, because that didn't happen in Melee. I played Pika and most people don't say "You're pretty good" so much as "Your Pika is pretty good".
That and when you play Melee around little kids they call you "cool".

SOVAman

Smash Hero
when I used to play melee at game store tourneys (before brawl when I found out everyone at the store sucked and I start going to better tourneys) all the little kids called me the "Legendary Pink Yoshi" and I was cool.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Some people really think it as an insult. My sister, for an example. When she first lost to my Yoshi she was like "OMG Yoshi sucks I can´t lose to a char that bad!"Now she doesn´t find it as bad anymore, but it´s not like she´s completely gotten past it either...

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
my friends actually have a decent respect for yoshi
even though they don't really know about tiers...

Top Bottom