• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it Absolutely Necessary to Play on CRT TVs and on a Gamecube?

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
I'm only asking because I don't have a CRT nor do I have a Gamecube, but I do have a Wii and LCD TVs. I'm also asking because I heard there's lag when playing on LCD TVs and a small amount of lag when playing Melee on a Wii.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
If you're playing casually, it really doesn't matter. If you're playing competitively it's definitely gonna affect your play, as tournament setups are pretty much entirely on crtvs. Its awkward to transition from an lcd tv to a crtv. The wii shouldnt be a problem though, because more and more setups are running on wii anyway.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't aware that the Wii had an impact on gameplay.

Anyway, if you want to play competitively, you should definitely get a CRT. They're pretty cheap and not too hard to find, and the lag really does make a difference. I believe most LCDs give 6 frames of lag, and the window to L-cancel is 6 frames. Therefore, if you're relying on your vision to L-cancel rather than muscle memory, as you will have to do upon occasion, it will really mess with your timing.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing on a plasma tv on a wii in my living room for a long time (and some sort of hd tv and a wii at my friend's house.) I never thought it would have an impact on the game, then again I'm still transitioning from casual to competitive.

What kind of impact does playing on these kinds of tvs have on the game compared to crt's?

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
I wasn't aware that the Wii had an impact on gameplay.

Anyway, if you want to play competitively, you should definitely get a CRT. They're pretty cheap and not too hard to find, and the lag really does make a difference. I believe most LCDs give 6 frames of lag, and the window to L-cancel is 6 frames. Therefore, if you're relying on your vision to L-cancel rather than muscle memory, as you will have to do upon occasion, it will really mess with your timing.

Oh wow that's a huge impact then. I'll see what I can do about getting a CRT.

Also, I don't see anyone saying anything bad about playing on a Wii, so I should be good on that sense.

Traditional fighting gamers prefer to have games running on the same console. There are often differences between console versions (likely because of changing coding) and some versions run better than others. There is no costly difference between playing Melee on a Wii vs playing it on a Gamecube. In fact, it's even better on a wii because of its cleaner picture

If you want to play Melee laglessly, find a CRT at a thrift store. They cost like $5-$20. Or you can buy component cables for Wii to reduce lag by about half

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I used to play on a gamecube with LCD and thought I was playing fine. Then I played on a CRT once and found the error of my ways.

Kadano

Magical Express
Traditional fighting gamers prefer to have games running on the same console. There are often differences between console versions (likely because of changing coding) and some versions run better than others. There is no costly difference between playing Melee on a Wii vs playing it on a Gamecube. In fact, it's even better on a wii because of its cleaner picture
Can you elaborate on that? I read somewhere that the Wii’s picture is less clean because it has no Anti-Aliasing. Didn’t care much then cause Wiis suck compared to Gamecubes in everything except component cable prices.

Can you elaborate on that? I read somewhere that the Wii’s picture is less clean because it has no Anti-Aliasing. Didn’t care much then cause Wiis suck compared to Gamecubes in everything except component cable prices.

I've never looked up Wii's no anti-aliasing thing, so I don't know. Compare these pictures I've captured from a Wii and a Gamecube

Gamecube composite

Gamecube s-video

Wii composite

Wii s-video

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the pics Epsilon. Personally I dont' see a difference between the Wii and GC pics, but I definately see a difference between S-Video and Composite. Does S-Video not have any lag?

Also, you said in an earlier post that playing with Component cables will reduce lag by half. I've been playing on component cables. Does that mean I've been playing with only half lag?

Thanks for the pics Epsilon. Personally I dont' see a difference between the Wii and GC pics, but I definately see a difference between S-Video and Composite. Does S-Video not have any lag?

Also, you said in an earlier post that playing with Component cables will reduce lag by half. I've been playing on component cables. Does that mean I've been playing with only half lag?

S-Video just sends a cleaner 480i signal. It won't lag. Half the lag reduction is only an estimation. But yes, you have been playing with about half the lag you'd get had you been playing in 480i (with composite/s-video cables)

Kadano

Magical Express

To add to what EPsilon wrote, composite is all video information sent through a single channel, whereas S-Video uses two separate channels. RGB is even better as it uses three separate video signals, but only available on PAL Gamecubes. Component is also three channels, but encoded in a different way. Also, using component cables only decreases lag if you are playing on a non-CRT TV and have progressive scan enabled (you can force the selection by holding B on startup).

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is true or not, but the evo thread asked specifically for GCs, so maybe it is.
I think the main reason for this was for ease of setup. Setting up the sensor bar+the fact that the Wii menu is only navigable with the wiimote is annoying compared to the relatively simple plug and play nature of the Gamecube

Top Bottom