• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is improving ptp possible?

Van.

Smash Ace
Can you really train your hands to mash faster? It seems like this might be a genetic thing. Has anyone actually improved their tornado stall by endless practice?

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I've improved it so much that it allows me to stall, instead of just losing height. I don't think I'm gaining any height by it, but it has still saved me multiple times due to my opponent rolling up from the ledge and not having enough time to regrab it.

Van.

Smash Ace
Lol my doc friend always catches me on that. Its probably safer to just get up from the ledge in doc dittos so you can quickly wavedash back if he used the tornado instead of super jump punch.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Depending on what kind of getup attack your character has, you can use getup attack to hog the edge and then wavedash back on if he is doing tornado.

Getup attack from the edge hogs the edge for the same amount of time that a roll does, though it doesn't have as much invincibility.

About improving ptp: I'm still pretty bad at it but I got a bit better just by playing more/trying harder on it.

I'm sure if you trained it consistently anyone could get better at it by a lot.

Van.

Smash Ace
Depending on what kind of getup attack your character has, you can use getup attack to hog the edge and then wavedash back on if he is doing tornado.

Getup attack from the edge hogs the edge for the same amount of time that a roll does, though it doesn't have as much invincibility.

About improving ptp: I'm still pretty bad at it but I got a bit better just by playing more/trying harder on it.

I'm sure if you trained it consistently anyone could get better at it by a lot.
... I thought the invincibility frames directly correlated to how long the edge was "hogged"?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Getup attack hogs for hella long, but your character is still in the region so sometimes you get poked by stuff

Van.

Smash Ace
Has anyone who PTPs in matches consistently improved their ability to mash a button repeatedly?

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's more of learning the CORRECT way to do it rather than learning how to do it through endless practice.

Shroomed

Smash Master
U can increase ur PTP by practice

go to FoD and get under the middle platform and use only PTP to get onto it

Van.

Smash Ace
I feel like it's more of learning the CORRECT way to do it rather than learning how to do it through endless practice.
The correct way? You just put the analog stick up and mash B.
And thanks shroomed, that was what I needed. I'll work on it.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Oh yea what i mean was to make sure not to forget to DI upwards. Sry i should've put that in my last post.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Yea so all you need to do is push down and b only once then push the joystick up as fast as you can to DI it upwards while rapidly pressing B.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Yes there is a correct way to do it. It seems if you manage faster B presses during the first third (or quarter) of the full animation of the PTP will you then start off with more height, making the end result seemingly higher than if you were to just mindlessly mash the B button from the start. The only thing that influences your height is the timing from the start, and then, the amount of B presses throughout the entire PTP. The analog stick only influences horizontal direction.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I noticed in slow-mo that you could get ALLL the way to the top platform on Yoshi's Story. Can't do that normally though. : [ I can get like half way there lol.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
oh wow i didnt realise you have to DI UP i been gaining a bit of height without knowing it... but im sure this will help me a lot on my PTP

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I can't see any difference between holding up opposed to any other direction, so I don't think that helps. The beginning presses definitely feel more important than the ending ones too, imo.

Also, if you can make it to the top platform of FoD or YI then you're a beast. I can't do that without changing my grip on the controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom