• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike a better addition...

Terminator guy

Smash Rookie
Of Roy? He looks better, looks more powerful, and it seems like he plays allot differently. I guess I'm asking is Ike a better addition to SSBB than Roy would have been if he had stayed in his SSBM state.

reothepenguin

Smash Journeyman
Ike isn't Roy. Ike and Roy are nothing alike. But to answer your question, yes, Ike is a better addition. But remember, you're on an Ike thread. It will be biased.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Ike plays nothing like Roy and if Roy stayed and was in Brawl, he could of been buffed,nerfed,etc. I still think Ike's better but I would main both Ike and Roy if they were in Brawl.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Ike and Roy are COMPLETELY different. Yes, Ike is better. As mentioned already, this is the Ike forum. Most of the replies will be biased.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
IKE'S moveset now is the one roy should have had in melee. thats why it rocks so hard. but as a spiritual sucessor ike does his job and i will be playing him as such

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
No, bias aside, Ike deserves it more. He starred in 2 internationally popular FE games.

Marth and Roy were a publicity ploy to get FE into America (it worked). Marth was in the 3 first games, and Roy was in one game, and made a pointless cameo appearance in another.

He wasn't even amazingly popular enough in Melee to keep him out of sheer interest. His moveset was a clone of Marth's.

Now for the bias. Ike is a more interesting character overall, and rivals Captain Falcon in manliness. Roy... is not interesting, and exuded no such sense of bad-***ery. Ike has a way larger backstory, not to mention a more interesting one.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
No, bias aside, Ike deserves it more. He starred in 2 internationally popular FE games.

Marth and Roy were a publicity ploy to get FE into America (it worked). Marth was in the 3 first games, and Roy was in one game, and made a pointless cameo appearance in another.

He wasn't even amazingly popular enough in Melee to keep him out of sheer interest. His moveset was a clone of Marth's.

Now for the bias. Ike is a more interesting character overall, and rivals Captain Falcon in manliness. Roy... is not interesting, and exuded no such sense of bad-***ery. Ike has a way larger backstory, not to mention a more interesting one.
Actually, Marth and Roy weren't to get FE to America (although it had the nice side effect of doing so).

Marth and Roy were originally going to be cut from the US version of Melee (because we didn't have FE here), but due to popularity within Nintendo of America's game testers they kept them.

Now for my "bias"; while I like Ike better, Roy was an interesting character to me. Of course, most people outside of Japan haven't played Fire Emblem 6 to know that...I have, however. If you played FE7 (Fire Emblem here in America) then Roy's story gains a lot more interest, due to the fact that it's a prequel to FE6.

Because Roy was put in Melee (in Japan) to promote FE6 he didn't have a moveset they could really draw from, so he was a Marth clone. If you've played FE6 though, you see that he and Marth fight A LOT differently.

Marth has a primarily fencing-style of fighting with the Falchion, whereas Roy pretty much uses iai-jutsu (Japanese sword style that involves quickly drawing and sheathing a sword) with the Sword of Seals. Think Lyn with a broadsword and slower slashes. If they made Roy in Brawl, he could have been a completely different character from Marth and from Ike.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
OR they could have put Medeus in as the FE baddie. :/ I'm perfectly happy with Ike though. I much preferred him over Roy when it comes to the actual FE games.

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
Miciah would have been a cool character...but Ike is allright

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Miciah would have been a cool character...but Ike is allright
*Glares* micaiah deserves to be a sticker.

Ike pwns, Roy sucks. No biased opinions about it it's fact. I've played FE6 and FE9/10.

although I would main roy over marth any day if he were in. (prolly main all 3)

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Ike pwns, Roy sucks. No biased opinions about it it's fact. I've played FE6 and FE9/10.
ROFL. Roy was ownage on a stick with SoS. :laugh:

Not saying Ike isn't better (because he's like, the best Lord ever stats-wise + an uber infinite use sword and Aether) but Roy was cool. The only problem with Roy was he promoted late and he would either be hacked or suck due to how random his stat growth was.

Now his daddy Eliwood...he sucked hosewater. :laugh:

EDIT: And Micaiah is awesome, bite your tongue. :p

Fumetsu

Smash Rookie
Ike seriously is great....im not only saying that because I love FE 9/10 its just that his moveset is a lot more diverse and he still has PHIRE!

so its got all the best traits of Roy bundled into the badassness that is Ike

WE LIKE IKE! god, you gotta love WWII :D

ifthisisitsobeit

Smash Cadet
I agree, Ike is a better addition than Roy because he is more diverse in his move set. As much as I liked Roy in Melee, Ike seems to be the kind of character that I have been searching for in the Smash Series.

I originally mained Marth in Melee but fell out of favor with him because everyone I knew used him, so I flocked over to Roy.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Post this in the Ike forums? Gtfo XD

But honestly, Ike is a beast, short and simple. Roy...eh.. He's kinda... I dunno. He just doesn't have it. Ike got Aether, Ragnell, he sodomizes things horizontally (that is to say, he *****), and he's just oozing with raw ownage.

Why WOULDN'T he be better than Roy?

Nowfist

Smash Apprentice
Ike is a better addition then Roy would've ever been, just think of it. Roy would've been hard to make a moveset for, while Ike it was relatively simple due to the fact that he already had a 3D model and some moves. Roy was only in SSBM to advertise his game. Don't forget that.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Ike is my favorite FE character because he just oozes badass in Radiant Dawn.
He is better than Roy in every shape, way, and form.
He is like a superpowerful roy with better moves and he isn't a clone.
How can you not like him? He owns Roys sissy little ***!

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Ike is my favorite FE character because he just oozes badass in Radiant Dawn.
He is better than Roy in every shape, way, and form.
He is like a superpowerful roy with better moves and he isn't a clone.
How can you not like him? He owns Roys sissy little ***!
Hey look, another guy who I bet didn't play FE6. :laugh: Roy is cool. Not as cool as Ike but cool nonetheless.

Here, for those uninitiated to the awesome of FE6 Roy:

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
No.

Roy is actually cool. Roy doesn't fight for his friends. He kicks *** for his friends.

Besides blue hair is so 90s.

So overall Ike is a total loser and Roy is a massive pimp.

FuRy Smash

Smash Cadet
i used to play roy in melee but now with brawl here Ike the beast has dominated the field ever since. if roy was in brawl i would play him too but i like Ike a lot better.

Top Bottom