• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is he still too good?

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
Well, I hear he's been nerfed like crazy, but is Metaknight still TOO good? Because it seems like only his up B has changed...

Master Raven

Smash Master
nah he's actually fair now. he's still strong, but he's not overly insane anymore. the game's new engine compensates for his nerfs (e.g. increase in hitstun gives him guaranteed follows out of dthrow now).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
nah he's actually fair now. he's still strong, but he's not overly insane anymore. the game's new engine compensates for his nerfs (e.g. increase in hitstun gives him guaranteed follows out of dthrow now).
He already had guaranteed followups off D-throw when you factor frame trapping. Also he got MORE DAMAGE off a D-throw previously simply because his attacks did more damage.

D-throw -> move in this game is like 12-14% or something. Overall, I agree with the damage nerfs. Metaknight's kit is still clearly extremely solid, but his damage racking is no longer insane.

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
You know, I am okay with hearing this... As long as Metaknight's not over powered like in Brawl and giving him complete control over pretty much any situation, I am okay with him now.

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
I have only seen :4metaknight: played once, only once did they use his tornado. Still looks good and VERY usable to me but, that's going off of the match I saw it used ONCE. It looks super safe but I don't know the power exactly.

Master Raven

Smash Master
pretty much anything hits you out of tornado now. i was getting consistently hit out of it by ganon's ftilt and there is a video of Luck vs Infinity where you can clearly see that anything Lucina swings out will beat tornado, including side B LOL

RJfox

Smash Rookie
I just want Meta Knight to be Tournament legal finally

link2702

Smash Champion
I just want Meta Knight to be Tournament legal finally
he was only banned for a short time in brawl

once the URC disbanded it was once again up to the TO's decision on whether he was banned in the tournament or not.

What the URC did do though, was show everyone that banning him wasn't as taboo as they thought, and as a result far more tournaments banned him often.

whether or not he's completely and totally op'd enough in brawl to be banworthy entirely is still debated now.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Nado only bits like 5 times from start to finish. It has almost no priority and visually looks smaller.

However it is a kill move now.

His Smashes got way slower. Like slower than a lot of the cast actually.

UpB remains a great move, but for different reasons. It's also nerfed in terms of recovery.

SideB can kill though I barely see it used onstage.

Bair and fair are still great.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
pretty much anything hits you out of tornado now. i was getting consistently hit out of it by ganon's ftilt and there is a video of Luck vs Infinity where you can clearly see that anything Lucina swings out will beat tornado, including side B LOL
Dancing Blade is transcendent. Technically it can beat anything without super armor.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Meta Knight is still quite good, his new Up-B while no longer the best attack in the game is still an incredibly powerful one, and of course he's still got great gimping skills with his D-Air which is golden to have in this game. However he is very easy to punish due to his notable endlag on his smashes and aerials, many of his attacks have also gained a lot of startup lag, and the ones that are still instant have been nerfed heavily in power like his N-Air. Because of all this lag his zoning have also been heavily nerfed, he can no longer safely keep people away from himself with U-Air or D-Air. His tornado also has way less ticks and isn't impenetrable anymore, which is a huge nerf to his approaching capabilities.

Like I said, Meta Knight is still good, but he's not the best character in the game at all, I'm not sure if he's even top 10.

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Not being able to hover and juggle is a pretty big deal. He loses a huge combo tool.

Falchy

Smash Rookie
^this.
anyone who still fears that (break the)meta knight will still reign supreme as he did in brawl, watch sky's character spotlight for him(cant post link due to being new??)
still viable, but not S-tier. imo, he's gonna be somewhere near the top of mid tier. not sure exactly tbh but i do know that he's still good, i really like the direction the devs took when they decided what to do with meta knight in this game

Top Bottom