• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Hbox the GOAT?

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
And what do you know? HBOX bounces right back on top at TBH9, just like we all knew he would

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
When y'all see how I play, I think we'll all agree who the real GOAT is...

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Is there even any doubt at this point lmao

Funny how people are arguing that Puff is overpowered now

If Puff is that good, why aren't you scrubs using him?

Classic scrub argument

Just like people complaining about "wavecheaters"

FOH lmao

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
Hbox is the GOAT in terms of devastating the Melee competitive scene, naive people always parroting he did not, but he did, now see, Armada left, Leffen is going to leave soon as well, M2K too, all people are starting to leave, that's what we have.

Hbox will remain alonely in the Melee competitive scene, that's for what he was preaching for and that's how he will end, as the GOAT without anyone at his side.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Is there even any doubt at this point lmao

Funny how people are arguing that Puff is overpowered now

If Puff is that good, why aren't you scrubs using him?

Classic scrub argument

Just like people complaining about "wavecheaters"

FOH lmao
]

I think Puff's jump + movement + aerial abilities + skill = overpowered. Without skill in that equation, you can defeat puff pretty easily. HBOX is hands down the most patient, well thought out player in the melee scene today and he showed that by taking down Axe this past weekend. Axe played absolutely unbelievable. In the end, HBOX just proved to the world that he is in-fact the GOAT.

Hbox is the GOAT in terms of devastating the Melee competitive scene, naive people always parroting he did not, but he did, now see, Armada left, Leffen is going to leave soon as well, M2K too, all people are starting to leave, that's what we have.

Hbox will remain alonely in the Melee competitive scene, that's for what he was preaching for and that's how he will end, as the GOAT without anyone at his side.
I wouldn't say if he's devastating the scene. Axe just barely lost to him this past weekend. Wizzy was literally a stock away from beating him at this past summit. The competition is there, the meta just has to catch up to the Jiggs meta that HBOX dominates with.

NyCkiTT

Smash Rookie
HBOX is a very good player , just very boring to watch imo. It's not pleasant to see him play and not pleasant to see him win. I like his personality but his playstyle is resident sleeper.
Maybe that's how he is devastating the scene ^^

zuloon

Smash Journeyman

In the wise words of another GOAT "it's over"

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
HBOX is a very good player , just very boring to watch imo. It's not pleasant to see him play and not pleasant to see him win. I like his personality but his playstyle is resident sleeper.
Maybe that's how he is devastating the scene ^^
Yeah that is kinda true. His playstyle is more boring but it gets the job done.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hbox is clearly the GOAT. The question is - will anyone ever be able to surpass his greatness?

I find it doubtful. He took a low tier character in Jiggs and used it to such a high level that now his haters are trying to discredit him by saying Jiggs is actually high tier lmao

No one has a resume as powerful as Hbox in terms of - not only impressive tournament wins - character development

Hell, he even beat Armada so bad that he QUIT melee forever lol

If that's not utter destruction idk what is tbh

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Hbox is clearly the GOAT. The question is - will anyone ever be able to surpass his greatness?

I find it doubtful. He took a low tier character in Jiggs and used it to such a high level that now his haters are trying to discredit him by saying Jiggs is actually high tier lmao

No one has a resume as powerful as Hbox in terms of - not only impressive tournament wins - character development

It seems like a number of the old players are b*tching out of Melee now that they can't compete with Hungrybox.
I used to think the younger players would usher in a new era but some of the best ones haven't been competing either.
In my opinion, anyone that hasn't won a supermajor with Hungrybox present if they've been playing for at least 8 years now is most likely never going to; and the reason for that is that they failed to perfect their gameplay. Watching some of their matches, like S2J, it's embarrassing for a veteran player to make so many mistakes.
At this point it seems extremely safe to say Hungrybox will retire undisputed numero uno.
Not even Melee Jesus Zain will be able to overcome him definitively, and he has the best shot of anyone right now.

Pound 2019 will probably only confirm this if Hungrybox doesn't have any handicaps like a broken finger.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Pound 2019 will probably only confirm this if Hungrybox doesn't have any handicaps like a broken finger.
****ing nailed it lmao

Hbox and 1st place finishes name a better duo

u may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

hbox.jpg

Last edited:

YRYRDZ

Smash Rookie

After lurking these boards for so long I had to make an account just to call you out; Hbox has a losing record against Armada and couldn't even get a single game off of him in their last ever tournament set at SSC2018.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
After lurking these boards for so long I had to make an account just to call you out; Hbox has a losing record against Armada and couldn't even get a single game off of him in their last ever tournament set at SSC2018.
Let’s be real Armada saw the writing on the wall. And yeah he might have a losing record against Armada just because they played a lot earlier in his career. But if you compare 1st place finishes it’s no comparison.

Hbox is the GOAT

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Lmao now thats a fun fact!

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
At this point even if someone more skilled than hbox showed up, melee would die before he got to prove it lmao

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes you get tired of winning. Funny how Hbox can still get 5th without even trying.

Of course Mango fans are gonna say he's the GOAT for winning two tournaments in almost 3 years lmao. A real GOAT would never finish 96th at a tournament

Meanwhile Hbox has too many 1st place finishes to even count

Last edited:

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hbox ranked #1 for 2019, which gives him the most #1 yearly rankings out of any player.

Is anyone even surprised? GOAT gonna goat

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Hbox did counter a very popular and entertaining style. I mean fox is fun to watch and all but you play to win not entertain. And that is something the flashy fox mains have to understand. If they want to beat Hbox's jigglypuff.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
So funny how even the haters don't care when Hbox loses. They know that it's just a fluke. No way Leffen is actually more skilled than Hungrybox. Just like how the 72-10 Bulls still lost 10 games.

The exception proves the rule tbh

Guidodinho

Smash Rookie
I state the case that:
Hungrybox is the Jiggles GOAT
Armada the Peach GOAT
DrPP is the Falco GOAT
Mew2King the GOAT
Mango the GOAT of hype

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hungrybox is so good lmao. Another 1st place finish. Too easy.

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
https://youtu.be/YWobWyft-EI

While the GOAT title is definitely not indisputable, I will always honor my pledge of fealty to the King of Smash. IMO this is like Jordan vs Lebron argument, only even more ridiculous because not only was Ken the face of the game/the reason it became an eSport, but he also developed so much tech that pushed the game forward; it would be like if Jordan was the cultural icon he was but also had invented the layup. So yeah, the era is different now and things are faster, but if you think for a second that Ken in his prime wouldn't dominate, playing today's game with all the years of free tech handed to him... then you're crazy.

foxkiller

Smash Rookie
Hbox will never be the goat because he is boring to watch, to be a GOAT you need to have everyone on your side. he can be a god because a lot of greek gods hated humanity but he will never be the GOAT and a jig being GOAT might kill the melee scene as we know it.

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
Hbox will never be the goat because he is boring to watch, to be a GOAT you need to have everyone on your side. he can be a god because a lot of greek gods hated humanity but he will never be the GOAT and a jig being GOAT might kill the melee scene as we know it.
I strongly disagree with this... the best are either loved or hated, but the reaction is strong. I would say Ken is GOAT, and everyone hated his guts. You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain... and the best keep winning until people are sick of it. It applies to all the greats no matter the arena or scale... Ken, Hbox, Zero, Tom Brady... or even that one player that always wins your local haha

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/YWobWyft-EI

While the GOAT title is definitely not indisputable, I will always honor my pledge of fealty to the King of Smash. IMO this is like Jordan vs Lebron argument, only even more ridiculous because not only was Ken the face of the game/the reason it became an eSport, but he also developed so much tech that pushed the game forward; it would be like if Jordan was the cultural icon he was but also had invented the layup. So yeah, the era is different now and things are faster, but if you think for a second that Ken in his prime wouldn't dominate, playing today's game with all the years of free tech handed to him... then you're crazy.
Ok I gotta admit Ken is a badass

I think it's laughable how far haters will go though. Hbox has been dominating for years now and people still say I'm "trolling." The only people trolling are the ones who think a has-been, flash-in-the-pan Mango should be considered the GOAT. Just lmao.

Last edited:

EpicNoob

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
4534-6472-5030
no
just because he's boring doesn't mean he can't be the goat

Last edited:

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
friendly reminder that hbox is still the GOAT and no one comes close except maybe Ken

Smudgy

Smash Rookie
I really don’t understand why people hate HungryBox because HBox is melee. In the fighting game community people say smash is simple and if it doesn’t have buttom combos then it isn’t a fighting game. The Melee community just says just because it’s different doesn’t mean it easy but HBox just agrees with the fighting game community. The smash community does the same thing with him saying that puff is easy to learn and helps the players to be the best. Well with that I can say characters as top tiers since well their the best characters in the game so you saying that is like the fighting game community does to melee. The Melee community says that HBox isn’t melee but that isn’t true since HBox is melee. Everyone see Melee is a easy game and the Melee community see HBox is using Puff is helping him because Puff is a easy character so is HBox is melee.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how people try to write off Hbox's greatness as if just because he turned Armada into a quitter, he isn't good?

LMAO more like Armada saw the writing on the wall and quit before he got embarrassed

Top Bottom