• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is "Grinding" Cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Hm, haven't seen any relationship related ones and this one is kinda bothering me right now so thought I'd like to discuss it

Is the dance known as grinding classified as cheating if performed with someone else who isn't the person you're currently romantically involved with?

...Its a tricky issue...

While some people say it is simply a dance, others say that the fact it would sexually stimulate the male partner shows it is inappropriate...

These two pictures show different views of grinding:

One suggests it to be quite sexual while the other suggests it to be quite lighthearted...

So what would classify this as???

Purple

Hi guys!
Ugh this is hard to give a definite answer to

You can see the connection between two people when they're grinding and tell if it's done as a 'dance' or as a 'sexual activity'.

Swaying with music in sync with someone else, joyful laughter, hands in the air, no real physical touching except for the fact bodies are closer, that's just moving around in a crowded area.

Having their hands on each others thighs, the woman pressing back roughly on the man, the man pressing inward as well from side to side, that's practically dry humping from behind.

Grinding in that aspect is the man trying to get stimulated by a woman other than his own, that's cheating.

Grinding in the aspect of swaying with another woman to the beat of a song, is not.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Ugh this is hard to give a definite answer to

You can see the connection between two people when they're grinding and tell if it's done as a 'dance' or as a 'sexual activity'.

Swaying with music in sync with someone else, joyful laughter, hands in the air, no real physical touching except for the fact bodies are closer, that's just moving around in a crowded area.

Having their hands on each others thighs, the woman pressing back roughly on the man, the man pressing inward as well from side to side, that's practically dry humping from behind.

Grinding in that aspect is the man trying to get stimulated by a woman other than his own, that's cheating.

Grinding in the aspect of swaying with another woman to the beat of a song, is not.
Hit the nail on the head.

Mewter

Smash Master
Way to ruin the fun, Pervatasaurus! :mad:
Picture number one is definitely cheating.
Picture number two is fine (as long as it isn't carried to the extent of the first).

If the person's spouse/fiance/girlfriend/boyfriend is very strict, though, they could call the second one cheating.

Otherwise, this isn't much of a debate.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Tough question. It really just boils down to "if you enjoy it".

I really can't see how either of them would be acceptable if you truly did love someone. Though I don't believe it's true cheating. When dancing, you're not really expressing how you feel, you're just doing it for fun. Whether or not you're not being faithful is up to the partner in question.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
When dancing, you're not really expressing how you feel, you're just doing it for fun.
While I agree with much of the rest of your post, I think you make too great of an assumption here. This is a motive for dancing, very likely your motive for dancing, yet it would be a folly to assume this applies to everyone.

Encyclopedia Britannica said:
The aesthetics of dance » Basic motives: self-expression and physical release

One of the most basic motives of dance is the expression and communication of emotion.
But to echo what others have said, the judgment lies in the intent. If one is doing this to get aroused, then yes, I would consider it "cheating", but if one is doing it for the sole sake of "fun" then I suppose that could be acceptable. (I have a hard time thinking of a situation in which a male wouldn't be aroused by grinding.) I think the wise act would be to stay away from it altogether, your intentions could be very easily misunderstood and there are plenty of other, less intimate, dances.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If the person's spouse/fiance/girlfriend/boyfriend is very strict, though, they could call the second one cheating.
I think what Pervatasaurus said, and the above, really sum up this debate.

If you're just dancing, it's definitely lesser cheating than if you're doing it to get sexually stimulated.

But no matter which way you're doing it, it depends on the person you're dating/engaged to/married to. I'm sure there are some people who might consider it cheating if you're dancing with another non-relative of the opposite sex. It's a little crazy, but on the other hand you'd have to think of how weird it would be to see your partner dancing with another person.

In MY opinion, only the first example that Pervatasaurus gave should be considered cheating, but cheating is in the eyes of the would-be cheated.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree with everyone above: really depends on what the other person expects out of a relationship

In an open relationship, sex with someone else isn't classified cheating but it is in a regular one.

Like the first one, if my partner did it not thinking it was cheating or anything I'd be able to forgive them but say that I find it inappropriate

Riddle

Smash Lord
I think the classification of grinding as cheating or not depends on the intent. If someone who is in a relationship is grinding with someone who is not their partner to be 'stimulated' , then it is definitely cheating. However, if you are doing this just for fun with a bunch of friends just like any other dance then it is not.

I think of this as similar to kissing. If you just kiss a friend as a greeting you are not cheating on a partner. However, if you kiss a person of the opposite sex (or same sex I guess) in a romantic manner than you are cheating on your partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom