• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is GaW only low tier because of his sheild?

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Wow.

I have posted on the Pichu, Y. Link, and now here...
People need to see that although EVERY charactor has there advantages, but overall some just overall are not that good.
Admit that Game and Watch is in the bottom 8...Case closed!!!

Redragon

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I don't know so much about Peach or Link, but essentially the upper tiers own him. I'm not saying they can't be beaten by GAW, but I'm saying it requires an exceptional GAW player to bust up the tiers.
Peach owns him. ****ing d-smash... >_>

Link isn't too bad, once you get past the spam you should be all set.. :lick:

Tri-Edge

Smash Rookie
well, firts of all.
I don't like tier List's, why? Well because i think they are just a nonsense list which just show the most ussuable player/char in camps.(But this is not the point)
Well i'm a G&w player and i like him, his is fast, have good finish moves(Fair, Nair, Bfront, The Keyblade(Dair), Fsmash and Dtilt). But he's bad with sidestep(roll), a bad shield guard, he's lightest so that's make a lot of diference.
By the way i like him because if you can learn how to play with him, you can make a lot of combos(ok not so many) but combos which gonna kill the CPU/Oponent fast.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
well, firts of all.
I don't like tier List's, why? Well because i think they are just a nonsense list which just show the most ussuable player/char in camps.(But this is not the point)
Well i'm a G&w player and i like him, his is fast, have good finish moves(Fair, Nair, Bfront, The Keyblade(Dair), Fsmash and Dtilt). But he's bad with sidestep(roll), a bad shield guard, he's lightest so that's make a lot of diference.
By the way i like him because if you can learn how to play with him, you can make a lot of combos(ok not so many) but combos which gonna kill the CPU/Oponent fast.
Tiers are nonsense?.. yea i stopped reading after that

that's not too difficult.
keep the pressure on
Yea.. face a good Link and tell me its not to difficult, i've faced links that spam fest all day, and its a lot harder then you made it sound.. keeping the pressure on is a lot harder with bomb drops and Boomerangs going the whole time

Tri-Edge

Smash Rookie
For me ^^" my opinion ^^"
I know nobody agree with me, btw that's not the point XD

G*W againts Link? >.< A good link can kill a G&W without problem i think, none of the itens(Bomb, Boomerang and Arrows) can be use to charge the Oil Bucket, and Link's Spin Attack have a good knockback and G&W it's lightest >.< But i can't say it's gonna be a fast battle either a easy battle.

Zorga

Smash Rookie
What's funny, that's that I am a G&W main user, DK's my second, and I am a shield spammer too xD
But I think that G&W bad shield isn't a real problem because of his ability to do spacing with up and down tilts and AFA... you don't have to use it so much in reality. It's more difficult for DK who has to shieldgrab for a while =/

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
peach is so annoying when i use g&w since i use d-tilt alot she will just d-smash and then im at 64%

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If you're being abused by the downsmash as GaW, it means spacing will have to be the number one thing on your mind. If you keep falling for the D-Smash you can bet that any of your aerials will be CC'd and in turn, lead to vicious damage and unbelieveable knock back. In this match up the GaW has to really thread the needle with weaving the F-Airs. This hurts GaW standing in the tier list, because he jsut has alot of matchups where the player needs to play as close to perfect as possible for a win, while a Marth can have a sloppy game and still get the win.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
G*W againts Link? >.< A good link can kill a G&W without problem i think, none of the itens(Bomb, Boomerang and Arrows) can be use to charge the Oil Bucket, and Link's Spin Attack have a good knockback and G&W it's lightest >.< But i can't say it's gonna be a fast battle either a easy battle.
Why the hell would you be using the bucket in a 1v1 match against a good opponent anyway? A good opponent will punish the hell out of that move, even if you're fighting against someone with absorbable projectiles...

That being said, once you learn how to deal with Link's projectile spam, the matchup isn't too bad. I'd rather fight a good Link than a good Falco or Peach any day...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The bucket is like a marth using the counter move, or falco using the firebird as a straight up attack. It just shouldnt come unless you are way ahead of your competition skill wise.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It's even worse than that. I see more reason to use counter or up-b as an attack than to use the bucket.

It's closer to Ness's down-b or Ganon's u-tilt in terms of practicality...

alphameric

Smash Ace
If you are close to, and slightly above the edge when recovering, and your opponent is jumping up to knock you back; You can bucket to stall and possibly make them miss.

It's really situational, but it does work.
The only other time I'd ever use the bucket is if you are playing a Samus or Mewtwo, and which point you'd better catch the charge shots (if you get the chance).
Otherwise, don't bother with it.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Samus and Mewtwo can punish you for trying to catch the charge shots. Samus can send a missile out immediately before or after the charge shot, making it impossible to not get hit with the missile if you try to bucket the shot. Mewtwo can wavedash or teleport in and grab you before you put the bucket away. Don't bother with the bucket unless it's in a team game in the appropriate situation (Samus, Mewtwo, Ness partner, with both opponents off screen, or on specific stages), or you're against a Samus or Mewtwo player that sucks.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
Since I play G&W as one of my mains I know several of his faults, all too well. Lets start:

Bad shield. It'll stop maybe one strong attack, after that its not even worth putting it up unless its a lightshield and even that's not wise all the time.

His weight. Some characters can kill you at 80%.

Laggy moves/un-L-cancelable moves. Nuff said.

Predictable recovery. Its a great recovery, but oh so easy to intercept.

Bad rolling.

I miss anything?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It's even worse than that. I see more reason to use counter or up-b as an attack than to use the bucket.

Ganons u-tilt is a good one. warlock punch, any of the ground pounds. I only use the bucket in mindgames on the recovery.

Ever since I posted in that thread about using the bucket in recovery to stop lateral movement, I've been using it to throw off the timing of would be spikers.

frozen chaos

Smash Apprentice
well theres the shield... laggy ground moves.... lightest char in game.... but dont let these drag you down because if you remember the ICs use to be lowtier and every1 disliked them until chu-dat realized their potential and pulled amazing combos with them... GW for president

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Two things to say. One, this thread is well on it's way to being lost because no new discussion has come up in quite some time. We get it. Two, of course Ice Climbers became much better because they can be played more technically. Tiers aren't really decided by how laggy the ground moves are, or how strong someones back air is. It's more about how technically they can be played, how faults can be overcome against good oponents, and just their full potential in the hands of a professional. Ice Climbers fault? Because there's two, they take up space, and once your down to one climber left, you're in trouble. But people started taking advantage of their wavedash to make the character mroe mobile to overcome the large hitbox issue, and people started to de-synch the climbers so that they can be played technically. Perhaps we have overlooked some hidden GAW technique.Or, as I fear, we have not.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR

Actually, I have found some great uses and have figured out a lot of things about Mr. G&W's bucket, I'm thinking about making a video and or guide about it.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
well theres the shield... laggy ground moves.... lightest char in game.... but dont let these drag you down because if you remember the ICs use to be lowtier and every1 disliked them until chu-dat realized their potential and pulled amazing combos with them... GW for president
Pichu is lighter than GW. GW is tied with Jigglypuff for 2nd lightest.

j00t

Smash Champion
I'm a GnW enthusiast, and even though I love the little guy, he is a pretty bad character. He's actually my second choice for a character, my main being Fox (Who's main isn't Fox nowadays ;3)

Let's see..... terrible spotdodge, terrible roll, predictable recovery, very lightweight. His shield is only good for blocking dash attacks. Terrible shieldgrab as well, gets shieldgrabbed easily, gets comboed very easily, can't l-cancel THREE of his airs.... the list goes on.

As for the good things..... he has good combos himself. Decent aerial game. Can be fast at times. His wavedash is pretty good.... practically his only wave of moving :p

He's mainly a comic relief character. Getting 2-3 Forward-b 9's in a match is fun. His taunt is amazing....

But yeah, if you're looking to use him as a competitive character then you're gonna be disappointed, but we all know this already. Use him for fun and nothing else (Like I do xD). If he had a better shield, he might take a step up from Bottom Tier to Low Tier.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
He's not that bad IMO, but that's probably because he's my main character. I use him competitively in tournaments and to pretty well. Not top 5 or anything, but I place decently in the middle.

Every character has their faults, but you just have to look past that and...just play.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm a GnW enthusiast, and even though I love the little guy, he is a pretty bad character. He's actually my second choice for a character, my main being Fox (Who's main isn't Fox nowadays ;3)

Let's see..... terrible spotdodge, terrible roll, predictable recovery, very lightweight. His shield is only good for blocking dash attacks. Terrible shieldgrab as well, gets shieldgrabbed easily, gets comboed very easily, can't l-cancel two of his airs.... the list goes on.

As for the good things..... he has good combos himself. Decent aerial game. Can be fast at times. His wavedash is pretty good.... practically his only wave of moving :p

He's mainly a comic relief character. Getting 2-3 Forward-b 9's in a match is fun. His taunt is amazing....

But yeah, if you're looking to use him as a competitive character then you're gonna be disappointed, but we all know this already. Use him for fun and nothing else (Like I do xD). If he had a better shield, he might take a step up from Bottom Tier to Low Tier.

YES!!! SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT! We all know the risks when we pick GaW, but we love him anyways. He's my second, and usually if I won the first of the set, I'll try and finish with GaW. No matter how much we love him though, he can only be stretched so far, and he may never be a top 3 finisher in tournaments, but dang is it fun for us, and embarassing for other people, when people get owned by the little guy XD

Star105

Smash Journeyman
Like people keep saying GaW is a good character but he is too light and slow on some of his moves Note: don't get me wrong GaW is my main character and i suck with him but its fun playing as him.

note heres a video that i see as very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7gRfvxj12Q

but it seems that fast characters or very powerful characters are GaW weakness (like fox and ganon)

also his bucket is one VERY strong attack but it relies on blasts instead of projectiles.(such as samus's charged shot, ness's PK thunder, PK fire, PK flash, super scope blasts, fireballs, thunder attacks,....ect) it can deal alot of damage and send tough enemies flying but can't absorb bombs or throwing projectiles.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
basically GaW has lots of weaknesses, but his he also has many strenghs.

the thing i like most about him: easy to wavedash/land
the thing i hate most: you die at like 80% most of the time.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
also his bucket is one VERY strong attack but it relies on blasts instead of projectiles.(such as samus's charged shot, ness's PK thunder, PK fire, PK flash, super scope blasts, fireballs, thunder attacks,....ect) it can deal alot of damage and send tough enemies flying but can't absorb bombs or throwing projectiles.
I can almost guarantee that it isn't a common part of competitive play. Nor are superscope blasts, pk flash, or samus charge shot. If you can catch a copetitive Samus' charge shot I'd be very impressed.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I can almost guarantee that it isn't a common part of competitive play. Nor are superscope blasts, pk flash, or samus charge shot. If you can catch a copetitive Samus' charge shot I'd be very impressed.
I'd be more impressed if he can catch 3 of a competitive Samus's charge shot, and unload the bucket on his opponent. One charge shot catch isn't that big of a deal, especially since if he catches it, he'd probably be punished for it....

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
1 full charge in the bucket will be all he needs, then he can just catch whatever and throw it and it'll prolly OHK.

Still too laggy of a move.

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Game&watch has basically NO DEFENCE. The only thing that gives him some defence is the wavedash. That's it. His shield sucks and everything he does has huge lag tacked onto it.

Gea

Smash Master
To sum up this thread:

GW is light.
His shield, spotdodge, tech, and roll all suck.

Movepool? Godly.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Okay.
IMO.
G&W is lowtier because it's easy to kill him. He's easy to kill due to vertical mostly Up B, lightness, sucky shield, easy techreading his terrible roll, terrible spot dodge.
He has nice offensive abilities, but no real fast aerial to get out of some tight spots like Peach does (nair)

He KO's nice, his offense is good, but so does every other top tier.

max32090

Smash Ace
iv mained sheik for about 6 months and started playing game n watch about 2 weeks ago and i can only beat certain falcos with game n watch. hes a really good character with amazing attacks, but just has a ****ty shield and gets hit way too far.

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
The main weakness with game and watch is a sore-lack of any defensive abilities.

1. Shield: What more needs to be said?
2. Roll: Very slow. Sometimes you roll through someone and dodge an attack, only to have another one waiting for you on the other side.
3. Sidestep: Again, its bad.
4. Projectiles: Characters with projectiles can throw them around to mess up with peoples approaches, which can save your life many times. Unfortunately, that is very difficult to do with G&W.
5. Predictable Up-B: Only goes one way.

However, Game and Watch has very good airials, so as long as you stay on the offensive, hes very good.

Matches with Game and Watch are generally won by whoever is more aggresive.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
g&w also has a lot of lag, i think overall more aerial lag than bowser

and his ground moveset isn't the greatest either, i mean fsmash and dtilt are pretty much the only good moves that are on the ground

and his only special really used is forward b, and that's all luck right there

g&w also has a fairly hard up b to edgegaurd because of it's speed and priority

g&w also has god hands

ju4ndieg0

Smash Rookie
If he had better defence he might be higher
omg guys G&W isnt a defensive character tahts all... perform the -shuffle- practice your wave dash- and thats all. why? because you can use wave dash instead of Lame rollings and you can atack every enemy attacks instead of Lame shielding if you guys thinks G&W is an easily victim of shield grabs use Dash grabs and the move JUDGEMENT isnt a lucky move at all... hes a low tier becuz people understimate him O.o....

Top Bottom