• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falcon really that bad or is it the physics that make him bad?

Stacey

Smash Rookie
who do you play to get top 5, respected brawlers right?

and with who
If by respected you mean everybody knows them no. They win tournies alot on AiB though.

I use Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, Olimar, Yoshi and Samus

Wogrim

Smash Lord
lol,ayaz you have to check "knees around the world" ive had an idea for your idea.there should be 6 people in the video you were talknig about.everyone would get a color.then in the credits post who was which color.it will be a great video. Do you think this is a good idea?
if it is, someone already took the costume you use, pink and white.
Wogrim if you also think this is a good idea then you should be in it.
Sorry I forgot about that since it doesn't give me any notices... I'll check it right now and make any replies for it in there.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
oh really? why don't you try him at a tourny and not get 2 stocked by Snake, MK, IC, or Wario

brawl is heavily tier, and infinite focused
i tried this last time,you are right you do get 2 stocked,but it never hurts to try again.
next week to be exact.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's the physics that make Falcon bad, it's hard to land aerials or combos with him in Brawl. Not to mention priority. (Falcon Kick into Wario's bite. He'll land right in >_>)
No, wrong. Falcon actually doesn't have a whole ton of kill strength ALONG with his bad priority. And his grab range is one of the worst in the entire game, and his throws neither kill nor combo.

He really isn't bad at all, just takes more skill than other charactors. If you actually do know how to play him good then your opponent usually doesn't know how to fight you, giving you a big advantage.
Wow, completely wrong. Some of the better characters in Brawl require a lot more skill than Falcon.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Actually, A2ZOMG, Falcon does have some killing power. I don't feel like checking my spreadsheets now (click my sig for them), but he had quite a few feasible killing moves.

The physics mostly killed his approach, which is probably the #1 thing that makes people consider Falcon "unplayable."

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If Falcon had the same priority on his aerials as he did in Melee, he would be perfectly fine at approaching. However in Brawl, you can SH N-air, and it will easily miss most characters because the hitbox is very sharp, and has bad priority below him. Falcon's D-air also has a nerf in priority that also makes it very difficult to connect.

I guess what I meant more is that Falcon lacks any safe kill moves, but basically this means one of Falcon's biggest problems is scoring KOs. There isn't much Falcon can do that isn't either telegraphed, or easy to punish when he's trying to kill someone. And generally he's not going to kill with his safe attacks unless he just died.

I guess you could argue this was the case in Melee and he was able to compensate for this through excellent combo potential. But really, ultimately I think this more boils down to his lack of priority on most attacks. If Falcon could safely N-air people, he would have a MUCH easier time getting people off of the stage, and he would have more opportunity to ledgeguard people. =/

The-Hobo

Smash Rookie
For me, the problem with falcon is his priority.

It bugs me to no end... I joked with my friend that his highest priority move is the one where the other guy isn't doing anything else at the time. Its pretty true.

There's also the annoying difficulty of connecting the knee (I can do it half the time if the opponent is returning to the stage from high right/left screen), and the also annoying difficulty of using dair on the ground (i did that tonnes in SSB64 to combo with mid-air 'juggling'). Its true that throws start most of his combos, but after the throw... its hard to do the rest of the combo :x

To deal with priority I've learned to predict better, but its not always possible. I mean... He's captain falcon. He's fast, he's strong, he's manly. Why should he have low priority? Makes little sense to me :/

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
What makes Falcon garbage in Brawl is his approach. In both Smash64 and Melee, Falcon had very good approaches. In Brawl, not so much (grab range sucks, shoulder smash sucks, SH nair sucks), unless you force them and somehow manage to get a hit in. His knee and his dair are harder to do properly, but nair, uair, and bair are still very reliable moves, and I think that should be a big part of Falcon's game now, but that's just me. Aerial Falcon Kick is also an excellent move to use every once in a while to get a certain amount of damage on.

I've actually been able to deal with teh lack of priority... passive aggressive defense? Remember, he's not as fast as Sonic, but he's still pretty **** fast. Use his speed.

ShowMeYoMoves

Smash Rookie
Falcon doesn't have any definitive killing power. They made all of his moves a hybrid which kills all tactics.

HulkingRage

Smash Apprentice
mostly physics, you could still combo up air and do some massive stuff if its was melee physics, and you could try knee

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Falcon doesn't have any definitive killing power. They made all of his moves a hybrid which kills all tactics.
For killing power, go talk with Falcon Punch, Knee, DSmash, Nipple for moves that will generally kill at or below 100%, and FSmash, BAir, USmash, UTilt, and UAir often killing by 125%. Yes it may be hard to land them sometimes, and he can't combo into any of them, but he does have enough killing power.

Kills all tactics? The leanback on FSmash allows you to avoid spaced moves, and the forward movement gives it good range and allows you to avoid a lot of characters who try to jump and DAir you.

Raptor Boost's dodge-back part also allows you to avoid an attack and punish in one move when you are against an opponent who wants to hit you during your approaches (usually their FSmash).

DTilt is very good for hitting falling opponents with not-so-great FAirs/NAirs, since you can duck their move and hit them in the feet right before they land. DTilt also seems to like to shieldpoke at their feet since the hitbox is so low to the ground, and it works really well against rollers because the length of the hitbox is such that if they try to roll from in front to behind you, you usually end up hitting them somewhere around your elbows.

FTilt is good when you want to poke at them but think they might jump or are already in the air (above a DTilt).

Falcon Punch has great range and will utterly destroy any laggy move that you see coming, and can also destroy falling opponents who don't have the range to interrupt it. It also makes a wondrous edgegaurd if you get the timing right. You can't even use this move without tactics.

Jabs don't combo to DSmash, but 2 jabs to DSmash works fairly often on opponents who are expecting infinite jabs or if their shield has been knocked down a bit (a lot of opponents will try to DI away when you jab to avoid jab jab grab and will hold shield to get hit by as few infinite jabs as they can and roll away to get punished by a Falcon Kick). The hold-shield and DI away tendency makes it also a really good time for Falcon Dive, unless they have a very fast up-B like Marth, or can crouch below the top jab and hit you between bottom jabs.

Falcon Dive is a kill move offstage (and onstage at high percents), and works reliably when you bait an airdodge first (with UAir since it's fast and will hit them if they don't airdodge, although you need to fall in the same direction as them so you don't UAir through an airdodge and not be able to up-B them because they are now beneath you).

Sliding USmash is generally the fastest way to chase and punish someone who up-B's onto the stage.

Doing certain moves like Smashes from a safe distance will sometimes cause your opponent to instinctively dash forward to try to punish it, even when they are too far away to do so; this is usually a good time to Falcon Kick, which will probably hit them unless they shield (it won't work if you do it more than a couple times though).

I've probably forgotten some stuff, but my point is that with Falcon's priority, you can't win without tactics.

IDK

Smash Lord
he can't spam his ultimate knee of sexville anymore. i word it as such because falcons were commonly known as "knee whores"... which was in many cases wrongly interpreted. the pawnch still eats baby seals tho...

Top Bottom