• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falco #1 Now?

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
He seems amazing in P:M.

His laser is amazing, his jab combo is inescapable, his shine sends enemies flying even at low percents, and he has good power too. (I still main Fox due to MUCH better speed and a MUCH better DD), but Project M made Falco amazing. His Dair spikes and is an amazing edgeguard, and his Phantasm recovery spikes like a meteor smash (like his Dair), which gives him an amazing recovery advantage (horizontally, because the tradeoff is that Fire Bird sucks).

Thoughts?

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
His laser is amazing
Melee
his jab combo is inescapable
Directional Influence
his shine sends enemies flying even at low percents
Melee
he has good power
Melee
Project M made Falco amazing
Nah, made him Falco
His Dair spikes
Wait, Project M made his dair SPIKE? WHAT THE ****, PMBR?

I would actually make the argument that Falco's tendency to spawn at KO percentages makes him less viable in light of seemingly every other character's heightened offstage/gimping potential. Yeah, he's still Falco, but on the negative side of things, he's still Falco.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
OK then...Lol, but I still think that he is really good and not all of those things are melee only. His laser still rocks and his shine still sends enemies flying

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
It didn't spike fully in the PAL version (which should be the version that should be in P:M anyway but shhhhh no arguing today), but it did in NTSC, which is what P:M falco is.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I would actually make the argument that Falco's tendency to spawn at KO percentages makes him less viable in light of seemingly every other character's heightened offstage/gimping potential. Yeah, he's still Falco, but on the negative side of things, he's still Falco.
it's funny because no matter how extreme we make characters' punishing games against spacies, they never manage to have a positive MU with them.
it's almost as if their neutral games are such that you can't design around them effectively.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Not that I'm superawesome at P:M or anything but isn't Sonic pretty overkill on the spacies? He can: get them off the stage fairly quickly and has amazing gimping tools such as the homing attack and the spring as well as recovering.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
it's funny because no matter how extreme we make characters' punishing games against spacies, they never manage to have a positive MU with them.
it's almost as if their neutral games are such that you can't design around them effectively.
I think the Falco MU has always been less strenuous for those who know how to abuse his volatility and gimp him. I don't really care if there isn't a positive MU (which there may be if we give it a couple years without changing much, but that's not going to happen), because if one edge-cancel out of a pillar combo can give me an opening to kill him in a couple moves then I'm satisfied.

his dair spiked in melee
No it doesn't, I promise.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco's Dair has been a True, non meteor cancel-able Spike, since the day I started playing NTSC Melee. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Rofl guys calm down, it's obviously a spike. I was making a joke because OP was basically just describing Melee Falco.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I was aimed at OP actually

Like what the **** is he talking about

Guy makes so many threads and I try to read but my head hurts

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
:yeahboi:Should check out my Soda line:yeahboi:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, at least with Falco, it's really as simple as giving the character a means to initiate through or despite Falco's laser game. I'm not sure if any characters beat Falco that didn't beat him in Melee, but enough characters have been given straight up anti-Falco tactics that I think Falco's overall position on the tier list has actually dropped.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I disagree with that. I really don't think characters were given that much anti Falco stuff. People have broader things like CG's or better than average edge guarding. Those are all negative against FF's or bad recoveries, not tools vs Falco onstage. Bowser is the only one that comes to mind.

People don't have solid ways to initiate or gain the edge on him in neutral. People have great tools once he messes up to the point of getting grabbed or off stage, but it really seems like the only things mitigating lasers this time are things like crawling or movement options added in like Glide Toss/DACUS.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
but it really seems like the only things mitigating lasers this time are things like crawling or movement options added in like Glide Toss/DACUS.
There's a lot of reflect/absorb options as well, being buffed from Brawl (ROB/Pit side-b down-b, Ness/Lucas down-b with a JC) or Melee (GnW better bucket)

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
Here's the thing, they kept Falco's meta-game the same... nearly identical in fact, and that's the problem. Fox and Falco have been such versatile characters through the whole series, like the Swiss army knife of characters. They have everything you need to get out of a tough spot, but some things work better than other. Why is this a bad thing? Because it's a getaway ticket for the flaws of other characters, since every character has some sort of flaw (Pikachu has poor spacing, Ganondorf has poor horizontal speed and easily edge-guarded, Peach has poor KO potential at low percentages, etc.) While I am in full support of keeping the meta-game in tact, I do believe a DPS output nerf would be fair to encourage comboing and offensive play.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
I wonder if it doing less damage means it's also less hitstun
I bet there's a way to turn up the hitstun from less damage dealt, it's probably possible. If not that's a real bummer, I just mean the actual percentages of damage being reduced, but not the KO potential (meaning they have to work harder to score that KO and effectively focus more on the character's strengths).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I disagree with that. I really don't think characters were given that much anti Falco stuff. People have broader things like CG's or better than average edge guarding. Those are all negative against FF's or bad recoveries, not tools vs Falco onstage. Bowser is the only one that comes to mind.
DK has a similar buff to Bowser, and basically has a free KO for baiting a laser at dash attack range, which cuts off a pretty hefty portion of Falco's game plan. Others appear to have stronger projectile games, and so can lock Falco down better. I'm not saying there's a sudden influx of characters that beat Falco. Bowser's the only on that could be argued to have gotten to that point. What I'm saying is that Falco doesn't make as much of the cast totally obsolete as he did in Melee, and that's enough to make him less powerful overall.

D

Deleted member

i think fox is better than falco. sheik is probably better than falco too.peach is still pretty close. idk he's not that great tbh. still tier 1 but certainly not as oppressive as melee falco.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
i think fox is better than falco. sheik is probably better than falco too.peach is still pretty close. idk he's not that great tbh. still tier 1 but certainly not as oppressive as melee falco.
Fox #1 all day. Falco mayyyy give the #2 spot to Sheik, but I think south of that there's not many characters in a position to challenge his spot. Peach can have some funky looking MU's with the Brawl characters and some of them seem really uncertain or harder to win than if you just went Fox Falco Marth or Sheik. Like perfect example, Peach vs Snake or Lucas. Marth Falcon and Jiggs are kind of out of the running for Falco's glory.

Top Bottom