• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IS DK worth putting time into??

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
title of the post says it all??? ive seen some pretty good DK players but is he really worth putting time into. do you think he can hang with high tier characters if used in the right way?? i need some honest feed back.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Depends. If you have enough fun playing DK then yes. DK is a solid character that with practice can handle most match-ups. But he does have a handful of bad match-ups where you feel like you're fighting an uphill battle.

In short, it's not about whether the character is good (he's solid) but whether you like him enough to MAKE him good.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Yes, he can handle a lot of high tier characters and is a very solid character. I've been seconding him from the beginning and I see all the possibilities.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm def maining IC but I'm interested in learning DK, pit, GW, or wario. It's a tuff decision for me cause I don't want to waste time if he's not worth it. I def dig DKs moveset tho he's so darn powerful. I wish he had banannas like Diddy. I was using GW as my second but he's so predictable and his moves are so repetitve and boring.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
i wish they had given him a better dash attack and recovery move but oh well i still love playing the big lug. even against the high tier characters where he has a disadvantage its winnable and the only REALLY bad matchups we have is DDD and Wario if they know how to buffer the cg well.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Eh not much to learn about DK. If you can analyse his moveset well and you're a clever player you'll be good DK.

Tujex

Smash Ace
DK is a very good, and balanced characters. I'd say he goes about 60-40 against just about anybody...with a few matches where it's vice versa...and only two that are roughly declared (unwinnable) <Wario/DDD>.

Very solid, good speed, high strength, nice recovery, great offstage and ground game, good air game....and one of the most lovable beasts with the most heart-warming smiles in gaming.

Veggi

Smash Champion
If you main IC's there shouldn't be a down side of learning DK. The main reasons for not picking up DK are Dedede, Wario, and Falco. You main IC's though so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
thanks, yeah i do like DK's move set. and like i said i dont reallly play with any of the other bigger characters. hes def one of the best of the bigger characters. the only think i cant figure out is a good move to do when he gets knocked in the air and coming down his down smash in the air seems like its non existent. any tips there??? i didnt realize he was a mid tier character either thats great for DK. someone give me some good tips tho when im knocked air borne with DK so i can get some help and not so defenseless there. thanks!

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
side b is also a possibility, since it stops your aerial movement for a few frames.

and of course, airdodging helps. if you dont fastfall you have 2 frames of landing lag. fastfalling gives you 5 frames of landing lag.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
side b is also a possibility, since it stops your aerial movement for a few frames.

and of course, airdodging helps. if you dont fastfall you have 2 frames of landing lag. fastfalling gives you 4 frames of landing lag.

another cool trick/bug is that if you jump from your shield, and hold the shield button during your jump, you can land and immediately have your shield up as opposed to having the landing lag from your jump. that means you can immediately go into a roll/sidedodge. this works for any character btw, not just DK
I just tried that out and it isn't true. You always get landing lag. Also he gets 5 frames of landing lag when he has a hard landing not 4. How much landing lag you get is based on how fast you are falling but you do get hard landings without fastfalling when you full hop.

Anyways to answer the OP, as long as you have fun owning with DK and enjoy his style of fighting then he is worth putting time into. If you are good with him you can give just about anyone a run for their money aside from the obvious silly MU's.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
I just tried that out and it isn't true. You always get landing lag. Also he gets 5 frames of landing lag when he has a hard landing not 4. How much landing lag you get is based on how fast you are falling but you do get hard landings without fastfalling when you full hop.

Anyways to answer the OP, as long as you have fun owning with DK and enjoy his style of fighting then he is worth putting time into. If you are good with him you can give just about anyone a run for their money aside from the obvious silly MU's.
:ohwell:
to be honest i never really tested it, just from playing around it seemed that the shield came out faster if you jumped from it and landed while holding the button.

Neon9837

Smash Cadet
Yes Dk is worth putting time into, i picked him up about 2 months ago and recently made a combo video.
One option that should be used sparingly when your in the air is fair. It has great range, and when retreated can be hard to punish. Its hitbox actually reaches higher than his uair, just learn how to time it.

Top Bottom