• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diddy Kong Really The Problem Of Smash 4?

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
Hey Mario Smith, why does that scrub keeps mentioning that he mains Donkey Kong? It's not important. How would other people like it if I keep on saying "OH I MAIN NESS! I KNOW EVERYTHING! I HATE LUCAS CUZ I LIKE NESS!"?

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I feel like now that Diddy is so huge in the competitive scene, it's going to cause many players to train specifically to counter Diddy. Hell some players are probably already doing just that. Only time will tell.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've watched the best rosalinas on local tournaments posted online and it's nothing I haven't seen from great rosalinas online. Look, I get it. Rosalina is very good vs certain characters. But against Dk, especially my Dk, I have very few issues with her.
Because you're experience is infinite and what you say goes, right? You don't become as infamous as Rosalina by simply being "good vs certain characters". So now you're source of reference are online tournaments, huh? The credibility scale says maybe about -5.2.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I know how to beat Diddy. You address me as if i'm a casual. Don't tell me what i know or don't know. The very fact that we have to "find ways" to beat him, yet we don't have to find ways to beat Kirby, per say, means that Diddy Kong is overpowered, no discussion.

Any character who is fast, strong, and durable, has no weakness, and the only way to beat Diddy isn't by exploiting weaknesses, but finding characters with specific, not all, strengths that surpass Diddy.

Go back to For Glory, by the way.
Haha.
you're not very experienced if you think a character requiring some study in order to beat him/her means that they're overpowered. It's called Matchups for a reason. Do you know how to optimally defeat bowser jr.? What about WFT? Matchups man.
Diddy ain't even a perfect char, everybody is so focused on dodging his grabs that they don't even know how bad his recovery is. Smack his side b and get his stock for free. Game

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
When Mewtwo is released will the whole current tier list be reset?
I'd prefer to think the game patches out the obvious at the same time.
Diddy is definitely one of the most powerful characters in the game. But OP or broken? Not a chance. Just because Diddy has one effective grab combo, doesn't mean he deserves a ban, nor is he as bad as Meta Knight in Brawl. Like Omni said in the video, other characters have just as powerful grab combos. Luigi in particular has a grab combo jusy as effective. It's just that Diddy is getting more attention. Plus, the reason Meta Knight was broken was because he trumped every other character in the game with his amazing recovery and fast and powerful attacks. Diddys only "broken" mechanic is the down throw to up air combo. Otherwise, Diddy has nothing that makes him overpowered. Honestly I think the only nerf Diddy needs is maybe a change in angle with his dthrow or damage nerf with his uair. Otherwise, Diddy is just as powerful as every other character in the game. Besides, it's too early in the game's lifetime to decide whether or not he should be banned. People are judging this way too fast and I agree with Omni. Diddy isn't the problem. We are.
You pretty much just stated what's on everyone's mind, but you also contradicted yourself. He may have "only" this, but it's enough to shake up everyone playing the game. You also said he should be nerfed, so you're basically agreeing that he is OP.

Is he broken? Not necessarily. He's not as bad as Meta Knight, Snake, and Ice Climbers in Brawl. But those are both annoying traits he has, and patching them would simply make him as balanced as anyone else on the roster.

Last edited:

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
I feel like anyone who wants to ban Diddy is reacting from their experience with Brawl. Like if your ex-cheats on you and then you're suspicious and untrusting of your next girlfriend. If Meta Knight hadn't been what he was no one would even mention the word ban in subsequent versions of smash and everyone would laugh at the one person who did. The "power gap" between Diddy and any other currently high regarded character is just so non existent.

Also just based on past metagame development trends Diddy will be high tier forever but 4 or 5 other characters will be considered better within a year. It's not a question of banning or nerfing Diddy but more like a question of "buffing" other characters through discoveries and practice. Diddy is much more like the Snake of SSB4 than he is the MetaKnight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Haha.
you're not very experienced if you think a character requiring some study in order to beat him/her means that they're overpowered. It's called Matchups for a reason. Do you know how to optimally defeat bowser jr.? What about WFT? Matchups man.
Diddy ain't even a perfect char, everybody is so focused on dodging his grabs that they don't even know how bad his recovery is. Smack his side b and get his stock for free. Game
When a character is a counter to the majority of the cast and is even with the rest, it becomes more than a matchup.

You will never need to study Mario to beat him anymore, We know Mario, and we didn't really need to study him in Smash 4 because it comes naturally, but Diddy Kong? In brawl he was one of the best characters and now he's the best? Diddy Kong has never been balanced, and the huge buff to veterans wasn't neccissary nor helpful for beating him either. I think that certain veterans should have gotten buffed, while others got nerfed, and some stay mostly the same. That's fair, Diddy's not, in fact, Diddy should have even been in Smash in the first place, if not for his overpoweredness, then the fact that he's not even a significant character, just a sidekick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I feel like anyone who wants to ban Diddy is reacting from their experience with Brawl. Like if your ex-cheats on you and then you're suspicious and untrusting of your next girlfriend. If Meta Knight hadn't been what he was no one would even mention the word ban in subsequent versions of smash and everyone would laugh at the one person who did. The "power gap" between Diddy and any other currently high regarded character is just so non existent.

Also just based on past metagame development trends Diddy will be high tier forever but 4 or 5 other characters will be considered better within a year. It's not a question of banning or nerfing Diddy but more like a question of "buffing" other characters through discoveries and practice. Diddy is much more like the Snake of SSB4 than he is the MetaKnight.
Your first paragraph pretty much echoes why Meta Knight should have stayed banned after 2009 or so. It made Smash Bros. look bad, the competitive scene look bad, and it alienated many players - myself included - from wanting to play Brawl in tournaments or even take it seriously.

It's a good idea to nerf Diddy for that very reason. We already know that his DThrow-Uair combo is unnecessary. If that's gone, Diddy players will have everything else at his disposal. His great reach, grab range, strength, bananas, speed, punishment ability, and recovery will leave him at A-Tier at the worst. Once you see people switching from Diddy to someone else, you'll start to see who the real Diddy fans are - the ones who stayed with the character, not the ones who conformed to the top tier and dropped him the moment he was no longer their ace in the hole.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Your first paragraph pretty much echoes why Meta Knight should have stayed banned after 2009 or so. It made Smash Bros. look bad, the competitive scene look bad, and it alienated many players - myself included - from wanting to play Brawl in tournaments or even take it seriously.

It's a good idea to nerf Diddy for that very reason. We already know that his DThrow-Uair combo is unnecessary. If that's gone, Diddy players will have everything else at his disposal. His great reach, grab range, strength, bananas, speed, punishment ability, and recovery will leave him at A-Tier at the worst. Once you see people switching from Diddy to someone else, you'll start to see who the real Diddy fans are - the ones who stayed with the character, not the ones who conformed to the top tier and dropped him the moment he was no longer their ace in the hole.
If we had the power to nerf, right? It's arbitrary to write and impossible to enforce a rule like "you're not allowed to pull off this specific combo" So we either have to accept the full character or not.

My first paragraph isn't meant to echo the reason MetaKnight should've been banned it's meant to help us recognize the light we're viewing Diddy in right now. A lot of bad crap came out of MK and people are reacting in a scared way because of it. We have a lot of competitive players turning to one character that (for the moment) is just barley better than other top characters. And it's scaring everyone to think that we might get a repeat, that you can only win with Diddy the same way you can only win with MK.

But if we chill for a moment and take a step back we'll realize that what's happening right now happens with basically every fighting game. Not all characters reach their full competitive potential right away. The characters that are best abused 3 months into the game hardly represent the characters that will be best abused 2 years into the game. I said it in an earlier comment but I'll say it again, 3 months into Brawl Everyone thought the best characters were Snake and stuff like Dedede and G&W. The characters that everyone learned to abuse the fastest. I'm sure people were complaining "Dedede is so broken his chain throw needs to be nerfed" etc. but these characters are now populating the B and A- tiers. If Melee had had at MetaKnight in it and people reacted to Brawl the same way they are to Sm4sh we would have ended up with a Snake ban while better characters remained in the game. Snake dominated in all the earliest Brawl tournaments after all.

You have to give the game more time to grow and put up with the fact that someone gets pegged as "best' and lots of people will gravitate to them because of that. Lots of others will stay true to their own characters and I'm confident that we'll see at least a small handfull of characters rise above or equal to Diddy and make this whole conversation obsolete.

Last edited:

SonicSpeed240

Smash Rookie
I main DK and I have never, ever faced a rosalina in for glory that beat me more than once or twice. I'm not sure where this "rosalina is the best" is coming from.
Ultimately DK fends off a Rosalina well due to her being one of the lightest characters in the game and DK hitting like a truck. but No one is truly OP, i just find Rosalinas floaty dynamics making her a very spacious threat.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
If we had the power to nerf, right? It's arbitrary to write and impossible to enforce a rule like "you're not allowed to pull off this specific combo" So we either have to accept the full character or not.

My first paragraph isn't meant to echo the reason MetaKnight should've been banned it's meant to help us recognize the light we're viewing Diddy in right now. A lot of bad crap came out of MK and people are reacting in a scared way because of it. We have a lot of competitive players turning to one character that (for the moment) is just barley better than other top characters. And it's scaring everyone to think that we might get a repeat, that you can only win with Diddy the same way you can only win with MK.

But if we chill for a moment and take a step back we'll realize that what's happening right now happens with basically every fighting game. Not all characters reach their full competitive potential right away. The characters that are best abused 3 months into the game hardly represent the characters that will be best abused 2 years into the game. I said it in an earlier comment but I'll say it again, 3 months into Brawl Everyone thought the best characters were Snake and stuff like Dedede and G&W. The characters that everyone learned to abuse the fastest. I'm sure people were complaining "Dedede is so broken his chain throw needs to be nerfed" etc. but these characters are now populating the B and A- tiers. If Melee had had at MetaKnight in it and people reacted to Brawl the same way they are to Sm4sh we would have ended up with a Snake ban while better characters remained in the game. Snake dominated in all the earliest Brawl tournaments after all.

You have to give the game more time to grow and put up with the fact that someone gets pegged as "best' and lots of people will gravitate to them because of that. Lots of others will stay true to their own characters and I'm confident that we'll see at least a small handfull of characters rise above or equal to Diddy and make this whole conversation obsolete.
True, but the combo nerf wouldn't hurt any. Plus it's hilarious to see how low Dedede and Game & Watch dropped after the tier list revisions. And don't forget Wolf was spammable at first, too.

I know an overrated character when I see one, though. Yoshi and Rosalina are definitely not there. Sheik definitely has potential to be extremely annoying due to the throw-airdodge read-USmash and being safe on everything, but she lacks ground kill power. And outside of the combo, Diddy isn't exactly as menacing as some make him out to be.

As the game grows, I know the tier lists are going to be closer to balanced than any Smash before it.

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
You know, I agree with you dude. I guarantee that there's not a single person who hasn't mastered the game, let alone collect everything 100% in the new game. Plus, on top of that all the smash games have different mechanics which means that it could take weeks, maybe months, to master the game itself.

Hell; if the community continues to put down Diddy then we can all expect to see a new roster for Project M. Diddy may be an overpowered character in terms of speed and agility, but he ain't invincible. Point blank.

I don't even own the game, and yet from gameplays that I've seen I believe that ZZSamas is the most BS character in the game. Hey, it'smy opinion though. It don't matter.....

blur128

Smash Rookie
Didn't kong is a great character but this doesn't mean he is the best. Many other characters have great set up options and mix ups to confuse your opponent. Having a great character helps but the player is what counts. Practice the right moves enough and even daddy kong can be brought down. Plus this game still has a lot of potential.

-p.s. I just wish Nintendo added wave dashing as a legit ability.

trotrombley

Smash Rookie
NNID
freaknik115
The thing that bugs me about Diddy is that it seems like everyone plays him. It's disappointing to watch a smash 4 top 8 and have > half the players playing Diddy. Smash 4 has a huge roster I really want to see some more character diversity in this game.
Well there were only 2 Diddy's in top 8 at Apex, so looks like your wish was granted

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
Professional players have already figured out how to beat Diddy Kong. The best Diddy Kong player himself ended up getting 13th place at Apex because a pro knew what he was doing.

I personally believe that Diddy Kong is the amateur's worst nightmare, kind of like how Little Mac was when Sm4sh first came out, but now he's literally the worst character in For Glory online (according to win/lose ratios)

Give it time though. Diddy Kong's secrets will be revealed to every player in due time. It'll just take longer, because instead of spamming Dash attack and Smash Attack (IE: EVERY Little Mac), Diddy Kong just reads rolls and spams grabs into aerials for days.

Okay, I'm done now. Carry On.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
before i saw anything else, i agree with what omni is saying.

but the points i want to bring up is that you are not making the right comparisons, most of the smash 4 community is new players or have a brawl background. it is not the melee community complaining about ditty, it is the smash 4 community. not a lot of melee players switched to smash 4 and that is because we do not enjoy how it plays. we've excepted that fox is the best hence the 20xx movement. to make a proper argument you should have focused on brawl comparisons

Top Bottom