• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diddy Kong Really The Problem Of Smash 4?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
In the current Smash 4 metagame, Diddy Kong is widely perceived as the best character. Pros and For Glory players alike have rushed to pick him up, citing his fast and safe aerials, projectiles and throw setups as reasons why no other character even comes close to Diddy. But in this Internet age, where thousands of fans rabidly eat up the opinions of the pros like hotcakes, are people jumping the gun?

YouTuber and Smashboards moderator Omni believes so. Drawing on some old-school knowledge, he talks about characters that have fallen in and out of popularity in the past, and why Diddy Kong's current reign as the best doesn't mean he will be the king forever. Watch below and see what Omni has to say.

Diddy is Innocent
Many people feel strongly about Diddy Kong, so whatever opinions you may have, keep them civil! Do you think Omni has made a solid point, or is Diddy Kong just too good? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is interested to see how this pans out. Chat with him on Twitch at @TheDerrit.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
He was my main in Brawl in the early days while the tiers were still being formulated... I had a blast with him in Brawl, he just isn't the same in Sm4sh with only 1 Banana. I don't care how OP he may be now, he's not my Diddy anymore.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Press 1 if you feel mad for Hungrybox.

I said it on reddit and I'm going to say it again.

The game is still growing and like I stated before, we still got juice to squeeze. I've been playing samus today and have been doing really well, especially towards diddy. Did anyone see chozox in paragon? His samus was super clutch that Player-1 had to respect that. Goes to show that we got a lot more to go through and discover what lies within the game, so why do we need a ban?

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Diddy kong isn't the best shiek is. The best player in smash 4 (Zero) just happens to main diddy kong.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can't watch the video right now but I already agree.

There is no way Diddy is gonna be the best forever (unless new innovations in his own game plan and tech end up being good enough). He's only the best in the game's infancy because he's just that easy to use. I almost consider him a beginner's character, ironically.

Last edited:

LEGOF

Smash Rookie
NNID
keimakona
3DS FC
2036-6575-6309
Just because he's doing well now doesn't mean he'll do well in the future. The game hasn't even been out for a year, and people are already talking bans.

Razbitifightclub

Smash Rookie
Even posting things like this just bring up more discussion on the topic. If people want a change they will make it known. I do see it possible that another character could arise as spot #1, but I don't think it's likely.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I don't care what anyone says - Diddy is a threat to this planet and must be destroyed before he lays eggs (....maybe).

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I do think people are jumping the gun *a bit* with Diddy, but his U-air is pretty stupid. Although I saw one guy use Palutena really well, and I think people should really try using her more, as when they first showed her off, I thought she'd be really OP.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's official, Diddy Kong is too big strong for the Smash fans to handle. Meta Knight, you officially had lost your role as the most OP Smash fighter for this generation.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
It's kinda like how when the trailers for the nwecomers started coming out everyone was like "Robin OP" or "Palutena looks broken with that U-Smash"
Diddy's good, but either we're gonna find a way to deal with his garbage or they'll nerf the poop-flinging primate. It'll all turn out fine.

Ike is the best character in the game. I'm no pro, so nobody will rabidly eat up my opinion, preventing him from falling out of the top.

Failproof plan.

Last edited:

MAz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0318-9105-2451
Lets be honest he can roll into grabs and jabs lmfao

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I don't consider Diddy OP. As mentioned, people are jumping the gun and eating up what the pros say before making a valid opinion for themselves. Diddy is definitely very powerful, but beatable.

Akago

Smash Cadet
I fail to think Diddy is really the best character in this game. He has a low skill floor and massive pay off, so he just appears to be the easiest thing to make massive impacts with this early into the meta.

M2K himself has said that the reason he's ran a few people over is purely they don't understand the timings and percentages at play with rage and the Smash 4 mechanics.

He is simply nowhere near Meta Knight in Brawl, or even Fox in Melee territory yet and I fail to think he ever will be.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Everytime someone mentions that Diddy Kong will not be the best forever, I think of all the discussions that happened about Metaknight and how the community hesitated until it was too late to do anything about it.

Unlikely it will even be necessary to do anything about it this time. Daddy Sakurai will patch Diddy if the situation never subsides.

Quillion

Smash Hero
ZeRo here took out a skilled Diddy main twice with several well-placed Falcon Punches:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Even if diddy isn't the absolute best, he's definitely going to be the most consistently topping character in the cast. The only reason that won't happen is if customs become legal and aerials as a whole become much less dominant.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
This video is incredible.
Smash 4 is totally playable with Diddy.
Diddy don't have any unwinnable MU proven by now.

And that comparison to Melee UThrow -UaAir Fox's, who everybody actually has no problem with, was fantastic.
Please lets make SM4SH be huge.

(I still think the major problem is the love the community puts in Melee turned in pure frustration about Smash 4 don't being Melee 2.0 and in the end make us see problems , when they are not).

Last edited:

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
I have no problems against Diddy players and I use Doctor Mario, one of the lower end characters.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
This video is incredible.
Smash 4 is totally playable with Diddy.
Diddy don't have any unwinnable MU proven by now.

And that comparison to Melee UThrow -UaAir Fox's, who everybody actually has no problem with, was fantastic.
Please lets make SM4SH be huge.

(I still think the major problem is the love the community puts in Melee turned in pure frustration about Smash 4 don't being Melee 2.0 and in the end make us see problems , when they are not).
U mean the love the melee community puts into melee? Stop comparing smash4's community to the melee community (which has 14 years of development) and its not a problem. Loving a game isn't the problem its when others get jealous of a game that is loved.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I don't think he's the best in terms of depth, but he's incredibly easy to play and pick up meaning that no matter how long it is from now, Diddy will still be chosen prominently throughout the fan-base. Everyone come 2 to 3 years from now (if people haven't abandoned Smash 4 by then) will mainly be using Diddy/Whoever the top tier is.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Lmao Omni

Why do you have such incredibly little faith in the community, why are you so against the idea that some characters are too strong for the game (MK in Brawl, now Diddy in Smash4).

I'm not saying Diddy should be banned, but he's definitely overpowered and if he doesn't get nerf in say, the next 6 months, and he's still as dominant, yea he should be banned.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Inb4 "Shut up you Melee elitist Diddy is super broken!" bla bla...

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To be honest the down throw to up aerial sounds like scrub bait to me, like in a vein to the classic fireball spam.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
HOO

HAH

YES

You know I think that the frustration with the HOO HAHs in Smash 4 is people being frustrated with the game as a whole.
That, and perhaps the Smash 4 scene is a little more immature, perhaps why nobody complains about this in Melee.
Which Omni-senpai said somewhat.
WTF STOP YOU'RE MAKING ME HAVE COLD SWEATS WITH YOUR DARK KNIGHT SPEECH OMNI-SENPAI

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
U mean the love the melee community puts into melee? Stop comparing smash4's community to the melee community (which has 14 years of development) and its not a problem. Loving a game isn't the problem its when others get jealous of a game that is loved.
The Melee Community is a large portion of the Smash community, and the most disapointed about Smash 4.
I don't see many top professionals from Brawl refusing to play SM4SH (ADHD, ESAM, Nairo...).
In other hand, top Melee players are rare in Smash4 community.
I love Melee, I love watch Melee, but you must accept that Melee community have major problems in accepting any other smash game, and usually are big crybabies about them.

Oreos!

Smash Rookie
I have no problems against Diddy players and I use Doctor Mario, one of the lower end characters.
mario and docter mario isnt low tier. they are op and you my friend are **** because you main them. they are ******* to fight

Top Bottom