• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is competitive Smash for 3DS dead?

Is competitive Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS dead?

• Yes, yes it is.

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Yes, but competitive players will still play it every once in a wile.

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • No (explain why).

Votes: 11 11.6%

• Total voters

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS took the spot light when it was first released. Everyone was playing it. When Smash for Wii U came around everyone flocked to it. The Wii U version took the spotlight. Do people still play Smash 3DS competitively? Do people still host tournaments for the 3DS version or do they only use the Wii U?

What do you guys think? Is competitive Smash for 3DS dead?

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
The 3DS version is still fine for competition, but everyone prefers Wii U because it looks better, it is easier to spectate, there are more stages to choose from, and you can use other/better controllers on it.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Just because you don't see people promoting at events and big tournaments doesn't mean it's dead. The handheld has a large online following.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There's no competitive scene for it that I'm aware of. Why pkay the 3ds version when there's the much better wiiu version? Plus there's no Smashville no way is the 3ds version competitive.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
I feel like every other smash game or mod that comes out takes the competitive spotlight.
64 (1999) < Melee (2001)
Brawl (2008) < Project M (2012-14 ish)
3DS (2014) < Wii U (2014)

Smash 64, Brawl, and 3DS aren't considered the competitive games in the series any more. but Melee, Project M, and Smash Wii U all stand strong as the competitive titles in the series.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
The game itself is fine for competition, and can serve as a controller for players who have no Wii U, but playing Smash 3DS itself at tourneys is a bit out of question, since:
1. It has fewer legal stages;
2. The Circle Pad is harder to use than every controller Analog Stick (even the GamePad's), in terms of tech and stuff. Also, input errors are more common (for me at least).
3. Smash Wii U has more things to unlock and more modes. Also, the game is beautiful!

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Sadly yes... But without it, how would we be able to transfer customs?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
The best thing about the 3DS version is that you can use your 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version. There are undoubtedly more (in person) Wii U tournaments but that doesn't mean you can't use your 3DS to play online or with friends. You can, perhaps most importantly, practice on the 3DS and go to a tournament having never played on a Wii U and both enjoy yourself and do well.

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
The game itself is fine for competition, and can serve as a controller for players who have no Wii U, but playing Smash 3DS itself at tourneys is a bit out of question, since:
1. It has fewer legal stages;
2. The Circle Pad is harder to use than every controller Analog Stick (even the GamePad's), in terms of tech and stuff. Also, input errors are more common (for me at least).
3. Smash Wii U has more things to unlock and more modes. Also, the game is beautiful!
I think you forgot the biggest issue: local play has random, unpreventable lag.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Smash 4 focused events can (and do, at least around here) run 3DS events, even if its importance in comparison to WiiU pales. There is one giant factor to such events and that it doesn't incur the same logistical issues a console event would, it can be run concurrently to other events/tournaments.

I believe TOs could support 3DS in this capacity without the same degree of stress as also running Melee/PM/etc.

From what I gather local play lag issues is primarily a factor of 3DS settings having power-saver mode on, and while the issue still occurs it's rare.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
SSB3DS had a chance to really be a big part of the competitive scene by having 3DS events that ran alongside ("side events") the main events. The draw to these events would be having enough setups to play on since everyone has their own personal console, game, and monitor; as well as the draw of utilizing Customization since everyone has their customs unlocked on the 3DS. "For Fun" events could include a Smash Run competition.
This was going to be the perfect way to both introduce Custom Moves into the competitive scene for testing as well as a way to ensure a healthy scene for the handheld version all while minimizing interference with the console events (since they use two separate systems) and keeping attendees entertained between matches/events.

The problem was that the zealous and impulsive members of the custom movement decided they didn't want to wait a year introducing a new mode of play, they wanted to shove customs onto the console version's competitive scene and pushed it into EVO thus having a lose-lose situation: If Customs failed then we lose the chance of introducing something "new" or "novel" to the scene when the standard competitive 1v1 no-items/conserative-stages settings may become "stale"; however, if it were to succeed and becomes a primary way to play then the standard competitive 1v1 rules has NO FUTURE and possible metagame analysis and understanding is lost - and there's no introducing something "new" to the metagame.

Rest in peace, 3DS, you had a chance at tournaments with customs, but now we'll just have to ride it out and hope customs do not ruin the game or does not fail so much it tarnishes the game and paves the way for a Melee-only Smash future (as it would become the only "competitive" game of the series that has a scene).

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
The biggest problem I see is that in order to stream SSB for 3DS you need a modded console. Since it's not practical to require every single person who plays to mod their console, you need to have one set up for the stream and have the other two connect to it. Then you need to use the Jigglypuff timer to start the match which is really a convoluted way of running things. Even if the tournament is not being streamed, people who are at the tournament can't easily spectate each other's matches which leads to a very boring tournament with people sitting in rows playing without interacting with each other much.

However, SSB for 3DS has the advantages that people have already listed. The availability of setups is never and issue because everyone brings their own console and copy of the game. People can use whatever custom sets they'd like since they can unlock the custom moves on their own consoles or even unlock all of them with PowerSaves if they choose. For this reason, I think we should see more SSB for 3DS side events that run concurrently to the SSB for Wii U events. It'd be fairly simple since setups are a non-issue and it'd be a good way to keep the competitive scene going for SSB for 3DS.

Also, I think it's important to point out that SSB for 3DS not being as common at tournaments as SSB for Wii U or other SSB games doesn't make its scene "dead." The online scene for SSB for 3DS is still very much alive, both in For Glory and on Anther's ladder. Perhaps the change in form-factor of SSB for 3DS needs to usher in a new mindset among players of what a "scene" actually is.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
3DS may not have a competitive scene in big tournaments like Apex or EVO, but why should it? The WiiU version is better in terms of looks, control choices, and stages selection. But that doesn't mean the 3DS is dead by any means, there are still plenty of people who don't even have a WiiU, so I'm sure you could find plenty of local and online 3DS tournaments all over the place, it isn't dead and I don't see it dying for as long as Smash 4 is still relevant.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Let me tell you about something called online play. The fact the 3DS version isn't usually played in local events doesn't mean people don't play it competitively.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Because of the convenience, comfort, overall increased efficiency of the Wii U version, I don't really see the 3DS version regaining a lot of steam. I can see it doing well in areas where it's difficult to get everyone together at the same time. Maybe campuses but even then my campus has a club that meets weekly to play Wii U.

SSB3DS had a chance to really be a big part of the competitive scene by having 3DS events that ran alongside ("side events") the main events. The draw to these events would be having enough setups to play on since everyone has their own personal console, game, and monitor; as well as the draw of utilizing Customization since everyone has their customs unlocked on the 3DS. "For Fun" events could include a Smash Run competition.
This was going to be the perfect way to both introduce Custom Moves into the competitive scene for testing as well as a way to ensure a healthy scene for the handheld version all while minimizing interference with the console events (since they use two separate systems) and keeping attendees entertained between matches/events.

The problem was that the zealous and impulsive members of the custom movement decided they didn't want to wait a year introducing a new mode of play, they wanted to shove customs onto the console version's competitive scene and pushed it into EVO thus having a lose-lose situation: If Customs failed then we lose the chance of introducing something "new" or "novel" to the scene when the standard competitive 1v1 no-items/conserative-stages settings may become "stale"; however, if it were to succeed and becomes a primary way to play then the standard competitive 1v1 rules has NO FUTURE and possible metagame analysis and understanding is lost - and there's no introducing something "new" to the metagame.

Rest in peace, 3DS, you had a chance at tournaments with customs, but now we'll just have to ride it out and hope customs do not ruin the game or does not fail so much it tarnishes the game and paves the way for a Melee-only Smash future (as it would become the only "competitive" game of the series that has a scene).
I like how you turned this around and made it about customs. Let's say that everyone did wait a year to implement customs on Wii U, what would have happened to the 3DS scene then? Since this is off topic this is a rhetorical question but you should think about these kinds of things before posting a tangentially related point that ultimately becomes irrelevant.

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I feel like every other smash game or mod that comes out takes the competitive spotlight.
64 (1999) < Melee (2001)
Brawl (2008) < Project M (2012-14 ish)
3DS (2014) < Wii U (2014)

Smash 64, Brawl, and 3DS aren't considered the competitive games in the series any more. but Melee, Project M, and Smash Wii U all stand strong as the competitive titles in the series.
64 is still considered a competitive game with a loyal fanbase of players and a good amount of attention.

It is just overshadowed by Melee and now Smash 4.

Brawl? It died once it became Meta Knight dittos and rewarded cheap gameplay at the high level.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Brawl? It died once it became Meta Knight dittos and rewarded cheap gameplay at the high level.
Brawl stood strong as a competitive title for quite a long time, both before and after meta knight was widely banned. Even though Melee stands strong, back in the day Brawl was just as popular as Melee. Not until resently was Brawl overshadowed by Project M and Smash for Wii U (and 3DS to some extent).

That's also kind of where I got the idea to post this thread, after seeing countless Brawl threads like these:
Is Brawl dead?
Brawl is the best Smash game.
Reinventing Brawl (a new outlook on the game)
Why do you still play Brawl?
Do a wide range of people still play Brawl?
7 years of Brawl
Why do people keep thinking Brawl is slow and bad, is this true or not?
Why would you still stream Brawl?
I personally think Brawl should be revived into the competitive scene
Bringin Back Brawl to tournaments?
Is Brawl good enough for competitive
Im new to Brawl, why are more people playing Smash 64 than it in Apex?
Should we say goodbye to Brawl?
Smash Bros. Brawl you say...
How Can We Save Brawl?
And the list goes on.

I just wanted to see what people think about Smash for 3DS in the competitive scene.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I wish that the 3DS had more spotlight. The stages in that game are much more varied than the Wii U ones, especially since their are ones that we've seen in Brawl and Project M.

I still play it on Anthers Ladder, but right now it's about as popular as Smash Flash 2 and Brawl competitively.

zang

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zangoose
The 3DS is considered the inferior way to play but in reality it'll never be actually dead,
I mean even Brawl isn't dead yet.

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
I prefer the 3DS version myself. Mostly because of the control scheme and the fact that I can take it with me everywhere I go. If there was ever a Smash 3DS tournament, I'd enter in a heartbeat!

Zelder

Smash Journeyman

Haha, yeah, I agree. I wish that we had held off on bringing the fun and excitement that customs bring to the meta, so that...the 3DS could have had a couple of unstreamed side tournament events that have lag in local play. That's definitely a good trade. RIP in peace noble warrior

T0MMY

Smash Master
Haha, yeah, I agree. I wish that we had held off on bringing the fun and excitement that customs bring to the meta, so that...the 3DS could have had a couple of unstreamed side tournament events that have lag in local play. That's definitely a good trade. RIP in peace noble warrior
Glad you agree with me.
Although I streamed 3DS events before, but other than that, glad you agree.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mostly just use my 3DS as my portable Smash training device.

Though say what you will about the circle pad, but the only thing I really miss is the C-stick, so I'd be perfectly fine with it if I had the New 3DS. I still don't see the competitive 3DS scene being nearly as big as its Wii U conterpart, however.

Top Bottom