• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl Making a Comeback?

Brawlcomeback_not_Brawlback.jpg

After Smash 4’s announcement at E3 2013, many top Brawl players who’d grown disillusioned with their game loudly shared their excitement to hit the reset button and jump ship to a newer, shinier release. Smash 4’s debut signified a new era for the community, as Nintendo’s marketing showed a genuine interest to connect with us for the first time in history; competitive players were invited to play Smash 4 demos at private press events, Nintendo of Canada gifted early copies to tournament organizers and top players, and sixteen Smash personalities competed in a highly publicized invitation-only tournament at E3 2014. Smash 4 was included in the lineup for EVO 2015, an honor not afforded to Brawl since 2009. The hype for Smash 4 was unstoppable, and it looked as if Brawl was going to be all but left behind in the dust like an old toy lost in a crawlspace.

kZlB1ed.png

A huge crowd gathered for Smash 4 at EVO 2015.

What used to be a healthy dispersion of Brawl communities across the world dwindled into tiny pockets (or even just single players) where those communities once stood. In North America, those players’ opportunities to gather and compete dried up as commercial rents skyrocketed, affordable venues closed down, and TOs for more popular games retired (or ran out of) resources that would have given room for Brawl to piggyback off of their events. The grassroots era was ending and opportunities for Brawl fans to play together were disappearing.

All hope was not lost though, as Brawl’s well never ran completely dry. Wii hackers introduced “Wiimmfi” in 2014, a service reviving Brawl’s built-in netplay via third party servers. Brawl’s native netcode leaves much to be desired, so in 2015, Project M developer SOJ gifted a workable netplay configuration to the Brawl community. Later that year, Smasher VZ (formerly V115) created a community for Brawl fans known as “Brawl Bois” (now Brawl Central). This hub allows people who are still hungering to play Smash’s third release to find each other, play with each other across long distances, and share information about any in-person tournaments that they discover.

Offline Brawl has a vestige of security in Super Smash Con, which since its inception in 2015 has included every official release of the series in its tournament lineup. This became the de-facto annual major for Brawl players, though it’s always been misunderstood by outsiders as simply being a side bracket that rusty ex-Brawlers join for unserious fun. In reality, dedicated Brawl players such as Cody, 686M, Player-1, and Hoenn have risen up as dominant forces to prevent returning veterans from reprising their former glory. Brawl’s online community is abundant with netplay tournaments and players looking for friendlies—even Otori, the legendary Apex 2012 champion, can be occasionally found looking for opponents. The community is big enough to maintain a series of competing ranking systems that get published roughly once a year, and Super Smash Con is the community’s biggest annual chance to show off the fruits of its labor.

Zim9OXA.png

Brawl’s top 8 at Super Smash Con 2023.

“It hasn't been without its frustrations,” ninja1167 says of doing his part to keep Brawl alive—he’s the organizer of The Return, a netplay tournament series that he started in 2022 with the ambition of keeping the Brawl ball rolling. The community isn’t without its drama, and some events attract low turnout, but helping the community grow has nonetheless been rewarding for him. He mentioned that projects and content such as the Brawl rankings and updated tier lists have attracted new netplayers who have stuck around for the long term. ninja1167 is only one of many people bringing players together and doing their part to bring outsiders in.

The underground, but still healthy, nature of Brawl’s community is reflected in its steady support at Super Smash Con, hovering around 160-180 entrants between 2018 and 2022. But as Brawl players never stopped petitioning to carve out new spaces for their game among the greater Smash pantheon, a turning point emerged in late 2022 in response to their efforts. Brawl had decently popular side events (both official and unofficial) at major tournaments like The Big House, Genesis, and GOML. More regional tournaments began offering it as a side event as well. Brawl-centric tournaments also started popping up, such as Xanadu Origins, a Brawl and Smash 64 only tournament, which attracted about half of Brawl’s top 15 players. And Super Smash Con’s 2023 bracket shot up to an encouraging count of 223 entrants—the most seen at a Brawl tournament since Apex 2014—including attendance from top Norwegian players Bike and Gardex, the former of whom placed among the top 8 and knocked champion 686M into the loser’s bracket. “Having more tournaments has been helpful for the scene,” says ninja1167, noting that Brawl Central’s membership jumped from 1800-1900 members to around 2500 over this period.

But perhaps nothing demonstrates a resurging interest in Brawl quite so blatantly as the public reaction to SKUNCH’s YouTube channel, “Brawlternative,” which debuted in May 2024 with a single video, “The Worst Matchup in Smash History was in Brawl(It's not Metaknight).”

SKUNCH’s video opens with a lengthy technical deep dive into the uniquely complex logic of grabs in Brawl, and then explains what that logic implies for the obscure matchup at the focus of the video. To make his points more appreciable to a broad audience, SKUNCH compares Brawl’s grab mechanics to those of Melee, a game the viewer is likely to be more familiar with. The video’s untapped content domain, attention-grabbing presentation style, and high quality editing caught onlookers by surprise, and Brawlternative reached over 10,000 subscribers from just that one video. At the time of publishing, the channel now has four videos and over 40,000 subscribers.

Regarding the presence of pre-existing Brawl content, SKUNCH had this to say:

“I first got the idea for a Brawl channel when I went on YouTube to reminisce on ancient Brawl advanced techniques and wasn’t able to find a single cut-and-dry video that went over them. It was genuinely surprising to me. […] I knew that Brawl was the ‘forgotten’ Smash game but the franchise is one of the most popular of all time & Brawl was the version on the Wii, one of the most successful consoles of all time. EVERYONE in my age range has played Brawl. Given the popularity of both Brawl and Smash content in general, I thought for sure that someone had documented it all in a bite-sized format, but it pretty quickly became clear that the only place to really find info like that for Brawl was in hour+ long Brawl retrospectives. Those have their place in the market, but are certainly not ‘consumable’ for a casual audience.”
Deciding to be the change he wished to see for a game he loved, SKUNCH launched his channel, and it hit the YouTube algorithm harder than he could have imagined. “To be honest I didn’t expect anything, at all,” SKUNCH says. “My original stretch goal for my first video was 10k views over the course of a month, and on the 3rd day the video was uploaded it only had 25 views, so the channel popping off from day 4 onwards was bonkers.” It would be an understatement to say that he met his stretch goal—after the first month, the video sits at 350,000 views.

The Brawl diehards who have been working hard to keep the game afloat for the last 10 years were overjoyed. “This is absolutely amazing content and what a Brawl lover myself has been dying for,” veteran player RipplePuff says of Brawlternative. ninja1167 adds, “It’s really cool to see Brawlternative getting all these views and interest in the game, and we’ve gotten some new netplayers around the same time as well. Content has really always been the key, and this is a big way we can draw people into the community.”

But SKUNCH’s channel couldn’t have taken off so strongly if there wasn’t a market for its content. Why is this the right time to wander back toward the Smash series’ maligned middle child?

SKUNCH grew up playing Brawl, but came of age after its golden competitive age had ended—and judging by his YouTube comments, he’s only one of thousands of people with a similar history who are now reflecting on the game with warm nostalgia. “I need somebody to teach me about the history of my childhood game,” says commenter “bacheese.” “I am pleased to see someone speaking about Brawl beyond the surface level write-offs that you often see when the topic comes up in videos,” says “Andr0meda115.” “Looking back Brawl does seem like it was a fever dream, but damn that fever dream meant a lot to me,” says “8saiharamasukoi.” Other commenters were simply overjoyed to stumble upon in-depth Brawl content at all.

tfXhA5b.png

The future looks bright for Brawl.

For the greater Smash community, it could simply be that enough time has passed and they are now willing to reflect on the unique and special aspects of Brawl positively instead of scornfully. Brawl offers a vast wealth of interesting tech and unique combat design among its entire roster that has traditionally gone ignored among the overwhelming discourse about tripping, Meta Knight, and chaingrabs. The celebration of Brawl’s fascinating depth in Brawlternative is turning people’s attention back toward the game, and the community that kept Brawl alive ensured that there are still spaces to welcome those people. “I think Brawl is a great game, both for fun and competitively, and would like to see it grow and become more on par with some of the other smash games in terms of community size, and I think we are on our way there,” ninja1167 says.

Fans enjoying a rekindled interest in Brawl have the opportunity to test his theory right now—early registration for Supernova (formerly Super Smash Con) has just opened. Beyond this August, we can look forward to even more big moves for Brawl, such as the ongoing Brawlback project that promises to breathe new life into the game with rollback functionality for Dolphin netplay. SKUNCH is keeping his momentum going, too: “Now that I’ve got an audience, I’ve been able to crowdsource info and meet people with the same passions I have, which has in-turn taught me more about the game which lets me post more interesting content. I love Brawl!”

The way things are going, it looks like there will be no end in sight for this stubborn game that refuses to be forgotten.

Credits:
Writing:
pidgezero_one pidgezero_one
Editing: @Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp
Special Thanks: ninja1167 ninja1167 , SKUNCH

Last edited:
Stef “pidgezero_one” Kischak

Comments

One of the first games I played was Brawl, so seeing this game gain some much needed resurgence is wonderful. I quite like some of Brawl's unique mechanics, while random tripping is terrible the addition of moves with a chance to trip was a cool concept, gave some non-special moves more depth imo. Also I love DACUSing, I feel like it would be a great hidden mechanic alongside wavedashing. I also appreciated that some of the uneccasary skill gates, like L-Cancelling, were cut since I feel like it makes the game TOO precise and difficult to understand stand. That is why I'm bringing some of these cool attributes into my own Platfighter, Sigma Busters, which not only references tech from Melee, but tech from the other smash games between Melee and Ultimate. Overall Brawl getting a Renaissance is very good thing to happen and I hope it develops further. One thing that could jumpstart the community again imo is the development of a new tier list, would really modernize the meta.

While I feel indifferent to Brawl, I can say it shouldn't be forgotten, and is the one game that put Smash bros on the Map

by the way the music is amazing and Brawl also has the best remixes.

Last edited:
One of the first games I played was Brawl, so seeing this game gain some much needed resurgence is wonderful. I quite like some of Brawl's unique mechanics, while random tripping is terrible the addition of moves with a chance to trip was a cool concept, gave some non-special moves more depth imo. Also I love DACUSing, I feel like it would be a great hidden mechanic alongside wavedashing. I also appreciated that some of the uneccasary skill gates, like L-Cancelling, were cut since I feel like it makes the game TOO precise and difficult to understand stand. That is why I'm bringing some of these cool attributes into my own Platfighter, Sigma Busters, which not only references tech from Melee, but tech from the other smash games between Melee and Ultimate. Overall Brawl getting a Renaissance is very good thing to happen and I hope it develops further. One thing that could jumpstart the community again imo is the development of a new tier list, would really modernize the meta.
Back in 2022 I put together a community tier list, you can find it here: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Post-Brawl_community_tier_list

Also we play without tripping now lol which is really nice

I agree with many of the negative sentiments surrounding Brawl, from its slow gameplay all the way to more retrospective concerns of how it technically started the bad trends of later Smash games.

...But at the same time, I love it. It's my favorite Smash game. I may fondly remember the "hype cycle" of Smash 4 and beyond, but Brawl was the game of my generation. I still think it has some of the best single player content of any Smash game as well. And of course... the modding scene for it is godlike.

I'll say that for all its core gameplay faults, it has the best 1P content in the series.

Even then, I'd say that a lot of its core flaws beyond tripping are only really a concern at the "1 frame makes a universe of difference" level of play.

Brawl was my gateway into Smash as a whole, and because of that, I see it (and Smash 3DS, to a lesser extent) as the quintessential standard for single-player content in a Smash game.

I think competitively, people don't really want to play or watch Brawl but just learn about its mechanics and how different the game is to others in the franchise (even Smash 4). But Brawl was my first ever Smash game and I'll have a lot of nostalgia for it casually.

Having been a prominent Smasher back in the heyday of Brawl, I've got plenty I could say about the game, its history, and where it is situated today. I'm still part of the Brawl scene, although in a much more reserved competitive role than I held years ago. But I actively participate in discussions about the game in various circles and with the current people keeping the scene alive and afloat.
In my area Super Smash Bros. Brawl really dropped off sometime after 2010 and even though Brawl events got good registered competitor numbers in the big events like Apex for a few years after, my area was in a major decline by 2011-2012; Project: M had filled this void for Smashers who weren't heavily focused on just Melee until the next title, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, came into the scene. As far as I'm aware I'm the only one who has hosted Brawl events in my area for the past decade, and there's really not too much demand for it. The reason for the general lack of attention is a multi-faceted, of course there is the case of Meta Knight (and Ice Climbers) invalidating the majority of the character roster competitively, as well as some of the less desirable game mechanics that the director of the game, Mr. Sakurai, decided on for its gameplay. Brawl, being not quite as "sharp" as Melee, and not nearly as solid as the original Super Smash Bros. title for the Nintendo 64., has an awkward place in the series. Only one other title, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, may be the only other game that has less interest these days, but I feel even that title is going to have its upswing now that Ultimate is past its prime. Just as a matter of opinion, I feel Ultimate is the least competitive of all the titles in the series for some specific reasons, and it is these reasons compounded with situations beyond just the game that has caused cracks to widen in its foundation of support in the competitive scene, so perhaps we'll see more attention to the other games in the series as individuals who still want to play Smash Bros. find their preferred "flavor" as Ultimate loses its market share in the competitive world.
Nintendo most certainly keeps tabs on a lot of aspects of the video game industry, including the competitive world, so we may hear some news on a title that looks to fill any market vacuum that Ultimate players may migrate toward, whether it's a new Smash title or an alternative to the series. And there are plenty of competitive games that could be very successful until or if another Smash title is developed. Nintendo vs. Capcom, anyone?

Coming from project64k, brawl netplay was pure fire, for about a month. Before the subspace minion invasion who proceed to turn it into a Toontown online cozy MMO, or just find someone to lynch as the mood suit them, and when that failed, resort to game-breaking score trading/feeding. But when the lobby was good, it was world class entertainment as far as I was concerned. Set blastbox to very high and let the fireworks ensue 💥🔥💀

Brawl, being not quite as "sharp" as Melee, and not nearly as solid as the original Super Smash Bros. title for the Nintendo 64., has an awkward place in the series.

Only one other title, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, may be the only other game that has less interest these days, but I feel even that title is going to have its upswing now that Ultimate is past its prime.

Just as a matter of opinion, I feel Ultimate is the least competitive of all the titles in the series for some specific reasons, and it is these reasons compounded with situations beyond just the game that has caused cracks to widen in its foundation of support in the competitive scene, so perhaps we'll see more attention to the other games in the series as individuals who still want to play Smash Bros. find their preferred "flavor" as Ultimate loses its market share in the competitive world.

just great insight.

amazing. haha.

a whole speech. or bulletin briefing.

haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom