• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl dead?

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Guys, i think i might have come across somthing to save brawl. In a special match, have Light and Fast turned on. It's suprisingly competative and fun to play.

EvanBuck

Smash Cadet
Yes, Brawl has no future as a competitive game. As long as people still enjoy and play it, it is not "dead" in a technical sense. But in terms of competitive play, Brawl will eventually give way to Melee, which is in its platinum era now, and Sm4sh, which is one the rise.

The fundamental reason why doesn't have to do with the tired arguments people always trot out against Brawl: slower playstyle, the idiotic tripping mechanic, Meta Knight being OP, so many characters being complete garbage tier, lack of wavedashing...etc. The major, fundamental reason has to do with the intention and mindset going into the game's development.

Brawl was Sakurai's middle finger to the competitive community. Nintendo specifically developed Brawl for the casual community, and as a result, gave us a great party game, but a VERY subpar Smash game. Brawl is unquestionably the worst installment in the Smash franchise, but is still a very good game overall. I've enjoyed great memories with it. However, it was not designed to be a competitive game played on a professional level. Melee turned out that way really by accident - and Brawl was Nintendo's way of flipping off the competitive community in favor of catering to the casuals.

We should be grateful for all Brawl has given us on a personal level and that Nintendo is actually (at least somewhat) considering the competitive community now via Smash 4 and its For Glory mode. But Brawl has absolutely no future or hope of a competitive renaissance, except maybe Project M. But we saw where THAT went...

Maybe me and all the other naysayers are completely off base, but from what I have observed in my meager little experience, Sm4sh and Melee have stormed in, and most people have deserted Brawl and never looked back.

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
Honestly, brawl is dead. I loved the game when I played it [even then, I was pretty good with Peach] but honestly, I won't miss it too much. Melee is more popular than ever, Smash 64 has seen a resurgence, and smash 4 came out. Look at this:

Smash 64: The Basic game
Melee: The Skilled game
Brawl: The defensive game
Smash 4: The Balanced game

Why would you play a game where there's MKs stalling you indefinitely and ICs [RIP, I miss them] can 0-death every character. Brawl's tournament scene is dead.

This is just more personal for me, but there's no characters that were cut that are like "I NEED to play them again!" Snake is an abomination, why is he even in this game, I can't stand snake at all. Wolf is meh, I never liked the space animals in any game. Lucas is in SSB4, Pokémon trainer is hard to play, and while I miss ICs, I'd rather play them in Melee, because then I also get to use Pichu! [Please Sakurai? Please put Pichu in for DLC?]

So yeah, I'm pretty sure brawl is hopeless.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Coming from a 14 year old. When I used to play brawl, Ike was the best. But when I started realizing combos were what made a fighting game a fighting game, I found meta knight to be the only 'true' 'fighting game' character.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
This is too pathetic to read that I will just assume it's just Smash-4 players. Now to answer their idiotic question, Canada still has Brawl tournaments; however, tourneys in general are the most boring to watch (with the exception of Melee and 64). Brawl will once more grow new wings but through Wi-Fi competitive entity's for sure (since Net-play is now a Brawl thing) and more people are getting Wimmifii each and everyday. And people like this are always wrong towards this type of stuff, but man their assumption to look in the future is great.

Not to long ago (one day ago) I just got a PM from someone to "add me plz I wanna brawl ya". So Brawl seems to still grab more than enough attraction. But one of you are correct about people won't get far if they "revive" Brawl. That's the thing, I'm satisfied to just upload for my wonderful infatuation towards Brawl (when I have the the time).

But what's great and surprising is some people still believe Brawl is better than Smash-4 (not surprising), Melee (bringing back the Golden Era now) and Smash-64 (the father of Smash the video-game). So a "dead" game is still bringing attraction. Smash-4 could never pull this off btw and the word you are all looking for is *vacation nothing dies. There will always be people playing that certain game or whatsoever it may be. Thanks.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
yes brawl is dead.

no it stands no chance of revival.

It had its one and only shot of staying alive when the community did actually try to ban metaknight for a time. had the community fully stuck with it, brawl could of survived. Ice climbers would not be an issue, characters that were completely shut down by metaknight alone could stand a chance as they weren't as disadvantaged against the other top tiers as they were metaknight, and while it still would suffer from super slow and campy gameplay, as well as random tripping, It could of survived at least a bit longer.

Once project M gained major popularity, as well as melee gaining popularity again, brawl was already starting to die off. Smash 4 was the final nail in the coffin for it. Smash4 fixed *almost* all the issues that plagued brawl. It's easily the most balanced of the official games, it removed random tripping, it removed hitstun cancelling(or at the very least made it far less severe) it made true chaingrabs impossible(kind of a double edged sword on this one) it made the game "slightly" less campy(still not as aggressive as melee, but not anywhere near the snore fest that is brawl) and ground locks were limited to just 2-3 before the character can escape.

all 3 of the above things happening are what finally killed brawl. and it has no chance of revival.

LordBac0nUS

Smash Rookie
Brawl is not necessarily dead perse. It is not thriving though. Canada still has tournaments, but they are boring to watch. It seems that Sm4sh and Melee are taking the scene now. PM is alright, still fun though. Yeah, brawl is dead, no going back now I had good memories on that game...

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Seems I'll try a different approach. Because Brawl isn't visible towards tournaments appearance doesn't mean a dam thing. Brawl will continue to thrive towards Wi-Fi guaranteed. Thanks.

Last edited:

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I think brawl is dead
There is Brawl in Super Smash Con.....

Many Smash 4 players sign up for Brawl tourneys when there is a combo event because they "might as well"

so i wont say its dead.......

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
If there was a mod that wasn't "total conversion", like Project M is, and was more "update", like Project M was, I could see it happening. Now, the only reason to play Brawl is basically everything but multiplayer Smash.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Brawl is not "Dead" because its a good game beginners can buy etc

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
People are using Brawl is dead in a different sense....... People hardly play it.

I'm still seeing sign ups for this game even after Smash 4's release but far less though.
That's what everyone is calling today not Dead but a nice slow game for casual gamers and for people who want to start competive smashing (project m)

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
That's what everyone is calling today not Dead but a nice slow game for casual gamers and for people who want to start competive smashing (project m)
Project M and Brawl are NOT the same game at ll.....

I'm a competitive gamer but I play Brawl....

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Personally I think that we can't neglect what Sakurai distributed to us in 2008. I know we are in 2015 as of when this was posted, but maybe if players could pretend that the year is 2008 as they play Super Smash Bros. Brawl, then the competitive feeling would come back.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
I think that Brawl is not quite dead just yet. You do have smash 4 and melee and they are competitive games. I think that Project M is keeping brawl alive

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
I think that Brawl is not quite dead just yet. You do have smash 4 and melee and they are competitive games. I think that Project M is keeping brawl alive
Well its doing pretty lively in Canada, and our TOs in Michigan include Brawl in their Regionals too, so not really.......

As for Project M, there are serious legal issues with this game and there is really nothing u can do about it.....

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Brawl seems to be pretty dead right now, which I hate and want to grow it back up. I loved Brawl. Sm4sh is better, but Brawl has a special place in my heart.

EthanRG

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealEthanRG
I think that despite all of the uncertainties with brawl (tripping), it still takes a lot of skill and talent. It would be very sad if it just faded from existence. Please someone do something. Please.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
I was never aware that competitive brawl existed. I was pretty novice at melee around the time that Brawl came out and wanted to jump on the "new game" bandwagon as fast as possible. But I never encountered any kind of thriving communities or scenes. It's like the smash competitive community didn't know what to do with it and the game never reached any state of full development. I mean there are lots of obstacles to overcome but... it would have been nice to see it actually be "alive" because there seems to be zero hype around it as a competitive game and nothing being done to develop any sort of meta in it. From everything I've seen it has fallen into the category that Sakurai intended... a well constructed party game with a great 1 player/co-op mode to enjoy with occasional free for all matches that involve a ton of tripping.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I don't think Brawl is dead since it's probably the least expensive Smash game to buy and play. I say that because Brawl is still available new in U.S. stores for around 30 bucks. Also, backwards compatible Wii consoles are probably comparable in price with N64's and GameCubes if you know where to look.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I think that despite all of the uncertainties with brawl (tripping), it still takes a lot of skill and talent. It would be very sad if it just faded from existence. Please someone do something. Please.
I hope someone does do something. All I can say is host more Brawl tournaments. I have two suggestions. For one, (though it sounds a little silly) why not do fixed camera mode? For another, why not ban everyone but Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, and other top tiers across the Smash franchise?

Just some thoughts.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
lol why would you ban non-top tier characters? That seems utterly insane. How about you just play final destination, only metaknight dittos while you are at it.

1TheBlueFox

Smash Rookie
Hey!
I'm still playing brawl!
The only thing that is gone is the WFC Connection. Brawl was the game with the best tier characters,
but it's not dead -- I saw 10 stores yet which still sold Brawl in 2016. Actually the Wii Is dead since WFC was replaced by the Wii U Console,also let's keep in mind that Brawl is now a training game before going on For Glory matches in the Wii U/3DS Version.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
What is the perceived benefit of using fixed camera mode? If there's a good reason to do it, then I think it might be valid to allow someone to CP to the fixed camera mode version of some stages, but otherwise I'd think that the benefits would have to be quite large to justify making it the default.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
What is the perceived benefit of using fixed camera mode? If there's a good reason to do it, then I think it might be valid to allow someone to CP to the fixed camera mode version of some stages, but otherwise I'd think that the benefits would have to be quite large to justify making it the default.
A different aesthetic. Most of the time, we are always playing Smash with the camera following the players. Why not do something out of the ordinary and mix it up, which you are supposed to do when fighting in Smash anyway?

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
lol why would you ban non-top tier characters? That seems utterly insane. How about you just play final destination, only metaknight dittos while you are at it.
I know. Maybe those avid Melee fans would then appeal to Brawl if we did that. Of course, that's why Project M came into existence. But still, it was just an idea.

Tell you what, I will keep on thinking about how Brawl can be revived. This was an awesome game. Granted all things expire (sorry to say that, but it is the case) but Brawl should not have died the moment Smash 4 was released in 2014.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I could see a tournament potentially doing that if enough people requested it to be thrown in there.

Other than that, I think the only use to it is that it might make Pirate Ship more viable as a legal stage for the fact that you're more able to track the cannonballs as they fly toward the ship.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I could see a tournament potentially doing that if enough people requested it to be thrown in there.

Other than that, I think the only use to it is that it might make Pirate Ship more viable as a legal stage for the fact that you're more able to track the cannonballs as they fly toward the ship.
Yeah. I can also see another benefit to the fixed camera not just IN Brawl, but in all Smash games (not sure if the 64 had it). An opponent has a good view of the sides of the stage. So should a player wonder, "If I sweetspot this Mario Forward Smash, will it KO all the way across this stage," the fixed camera can help. If it were not fixed, the player would just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom